Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombyx
Dec 7, 2022
This episode was pretty fun, all things considered. The real standout joke for me is when they keep cutting to the clock to show time's passed for Bender and Zoidberg to get wasted on dumpster nog, but the hands just don't move at all. Lots of other little gags I think would've fit right at home in the original run if the execution had a bit more energy to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

“Oooooh, I’m being crushed by all the matter in the universe!” earned a hearty chuckle from me.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Taear posted:

5 was reasonable, like a low end original run or mid CC run episode.
The others have all been poo poo.

Still, one decent episode is better than I expected to get!

IMDB wise 1,5,6 all have reasonable ratings, the others are extremely low. That said not many people are voting compared to what you'd normally see, I wonder how many people are even watching this? Felt like it came back with barely any fanfare, even Disenchantment got more than this.

Mid level CC run? The CC run was mostly bad. Through six episodes....the Hulu revival is making the CC run look like a depression.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I feel like this season has been kind of all over the place. Some have been really good, some have been really bad while others (like this week's) have been kind of middling. Although the one thing I've found very annoying about this season has been their slipshod continuity where its been 20 years since Fry came to the future but none of the characters have aged, except when they did like with Kif and Amy's kids.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fry nestling in with Kif and Amy's kids and excitedly telling them,"I love it when other kids are around!" got a chuckle. Fry's like legit late 40s/50 now, right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Although the one thing I've found very annoying about this season has been their slipshod continuity where its been 20 years since Fry came to the future but none of the characters have aged, except when they did like with Kif and Amy's kids.

There is a very blink-and-you-miss-it handwaving in the first episode that they jumped 10 years into the future when the professor undid the time anomaly. Which doesn't cover the kids, but does kinda cover the main cast.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I feel like this season has been kind of all over the place. Some have been really good, some have been really bad while others (like this week's) have been kind of middling. Although the one thing I've found very annoying about this season has been their slipshod continuity where its been 20 years since Fry came to the future but none of the characters have aged, except when they did like with Kif and Amy's kids.

Cartoon characters don't age.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

slipshod continuity where its been 20 years since Fry came to the future but none of the characters have aged,

This only bugs me with Cubert and Dwight. All the adults I’m fine with not visually aging because they do SOUND older, and blah blah future tech keeps them looking the same.

But Cubert and Dwight should be, like, adults now. :colbert:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
This was a nothing episode plot wise, and I think we can all agree Futurama has gone to the time travel well too many times now. I did have a good laugh at the conclusion which was fittingly unserious for this episode. I'd also be happy if this was them actually killing off Robot Santa who ran his course after the north pole episode in S3.

Best jokes aside from the finish were the various turducken recipes and Robot Santa singling out Mandy.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

this is worse than the comedy central era

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dongicus posted:

this is worse than the comedy central era

:agreed:

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

With the degree to which this seems like a Play the Hits season, we must be getting a Zapp-centric episode soon right?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Taear posted:

I wonder how many people are even watching this? Felt like it came back with barely any fanfare, even Disenchantment got more than this.

Apparently it was tied for third place for original streaming series in the most recently published numbers, although that may well have dropped off in the past month.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why Xmas episode in august

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Comedy Central era had some great episodes (even beyond the ones that everyone always cites) but it also had some really, really awful ones. I don't think the Hulu revival has reached those lows yet, but it's also a really tiny spread in comparison.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Android Blues posted:

The Comedy Central era had some great episodes (even beyond the ones that everyone always cites) but it also had some really, really awful ones. I don't think the Hulu revival has reached those lows yet, but it's also a really tiny spread in comparison.

I felt like the CC ones were mostly middle of the road "Hey Remember This" episodes. The susan boyle and gay marriage episodes were absolute shite but other than that it just kinda existed.
These are actively bad. They're put together weirdly and come across lazy and confused

The turducken stuff for example felt like they'd heard the word recently and just immediately thought it was funny whereas to me it was played out about a decade ago when Aldi started stocking the things. It just feels like your boomer parents who use the internet a bit have gone "haha did you see this" and shown you a lolcat or something

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

For me it's really not close. The lows in the Comedy Central era are low. Its worst episodes aren't just unfunny, they're also weirdly sexist. See Neutopia, where Fry gets turned into a woman and is like, "now when I say stupid things, guys just laugh and buy me stuff!".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

With the degree to which this seems like a Play the Hits season, we must be getting a Zapp-centric episode soon right?

Yep, upcoming episode is about Zapp getting cancelled.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nah, that works out fine. in every universe there's a professor from the next one.

Didn't it end up being that every second universe would have them, with every other universe involving them vanishing and Leela taking over Planet Express?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Android Blues posted:

For me it's really not close. The lows in the Comedy Central era are low. Its worst episodes aren't just unfunny, they're also weirdly sexist. See Neutopia, where Fry gets turned into a woman and is like, "now when I say stupid things, guys just laugh and buy me stuff!".

It's a bad episode but it ties together and makes sense
I don't ever want to watch it again but gently caress - trans bender already stepped into that sort of poo poo in the original run

Like my main thing against the gay marriage episode is it totally fucks up Amy (and bender to a degree) as characters and treats traits they've been given as totally disposable. Which is different to "our aliens can randomly have a new trait". If anything I'd compare that episode to Principle and the Pauper - which was written by Ken Keeler, who works on Futurama and doesn't see a problem with that episode.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 30, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why Xmas episode in august

I assume they usually would do one in the middle of a season that used to go from fall to spring, but now there are only ten episodes in the summer and fall.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you know, I get that maybe Emilia Clarke didn't want to come back but I can't imagine it would've been too difficult to recast her part. Did they just decide to get rid of Marianne as part of a refresh?

Also, as someone who has never had turducken before, why did we get 4 iterations of that joke?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This season has been very 'meh' so far. The highs haven't really been that high, and the lows haven't really been that low. Contrast with the CC seasons, which each had at least one episode per season that could convincingly be argued as worst episode of the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

This only bugs me with Cubert and Dwight. All the adults I’m fine with not visually aging because they do SOUND older, and blah blah future tech keeps them looking the same.

But Cubert and Dwight should be, like, adults now. :colbert:

Well yeah, I didn't expect Fry to look like Lars but having Dwight and Cubert still be kids just seem lazy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Well yeah, I didn't expect Fry to look like Lars but having Dwight and Cubert still be kids just seem lazy.

Yea like it's been 23 years, and you're acknowledging it
There's one thing to just ignore it but they actively said it, at least do something with the passage of time

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aces High posted:

Also, as someone who has never had turducken before, why did we get 4 iterations of that joke?

Some jokes, through a process of repetition, start funny, then stop being funny and then turn around a become even more funny than they started.

The turducken jokes didn't even start funny, they were just kinda there in a "Oh, turduckens are the future Xmas food everyone eats. Okay, I suppose."

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Taear posted:

Yea like it's been 23 years, and you're acknowledging it
There's one thing to just ignore it but they actively said it, at least do something with the passage of time

I'm really confused why this is a problem for people; didn't the first episode of the season explicitly say that Earth was frozen in time for 20 years (or whatever) and that's why everyone looks and behaves exactly the same?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Also, as someone who has never had turducken before

I don't think anyone has actually eaten a turducken. I only know about it because John Madden used to make them for the Thanksgiving Day football games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Madden made multiple to turkeys crammed together human centipede style. Turducken is a chicken shoved in a duck shoved in a turkey.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
not gonna lie for a very brief moment i was hoping they were actually going to kill cubert off by having him mindlessly carved up when they cut to everyone eating and he wasn't there

and instead it was just the lame haircut gag

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Taear posted:

I felt like the CC ones were mostly middle of the road "Hey Remember This" episodes. The susan boyle and gay marriage episodes were absolute shite but other than that it just kinda existed.
These are actively bad. They're put together weirdly and come across lazy and confused

The turducken stuff for example felt like they'd heard the word recently and just immediately thought it was funny whereas to me it was played out about a decade ago when Aldi started stocking the things. It just feels like your boomer parents who use the internet a bit have gone "haha did you see this" and shown you a lolcat or something

All of this and the current ones are "hey remember this" callback fests too! Truly putting their best foot forward this time around.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I've had turducken before. It's ok, you're just eating 3 different meats that are kind of sameish.

That 20 years have passed thing was pretty odd, I guess mostly just a meta joke about the show being off the air. Obviously nothing has really changed so not sure why they bothered. They've really fallen into that trap where it's all about current events. The original run had the right idea where they stuck to just having the general concept and then playing around with it in creative ways. Now it's just them hitting us over the head with "This is an Amazon parody! This is a Hulu streaming parody!" I guess that's why I liked this last episode a lot, they were just having fun with the crazy Christmas lore and trying out some different character dynamics.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Senor Tron posted:

Yep, upcoming episode is about Zapp getting cancelled.

hold on to your butts we've got a new worst episode ahead

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Spoilers for next week's premise and episode title, but not its content.

The only hope I'm holding out is that it's not a sympathetic character getting cancelled, so it doesn't seem like it'll be a soapbox about how bad it is that a few wealthy people now have to face an extremely minor consequences now and again that doesn't even touch their bottom line.

Louis CK is still touring and he sexually assaulted more than one woman, got outed, denied it for years until he couldn't anymore, admitted to it, gave a non-apology where he nonetheless seemed kind of contrite, then loving immediately turned around and joked about his sexual assaults on tour.

This rant isn't directed at anybody here, but there is no such thing as cancel culture. Famous people just get super butthurt that they can't do whatever awful poo poo they want to do and just hire a PR firm to make all of their bullshit instantly go away anymore. People hear about it, remember it, and can clap back.

Feels like half of all jokes for the last six fuckin' years since #MeToo are "people are sometimes sarcastic to me on Twitter about all those horrible things I never stopped doing."

If it was "Fry Gets Cancelled," or even "Bender Gets Cancelled," I'd worry, but it's the biggest piece of poo poo in the series this side of Mom.

It might not do The Thing.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Stunt Rock posted:

hold on to your butts we've got a new worst episode ahead

Four episodes left. One's about Zapp being cancelled and one's about vaccines. I doubt like those odds!

I rewatched seasons 1 and 2 recently and although they aren't as laugh out loud funny as I remember they're solid, clever, and largely character based. Just vastly better than what we're currently getting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cojawfee posted:

Madden made multiple to turkeys crammed together human centipede style. Turducken is a chicken shoved in a duck shoved in a turkey.

:stonk:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Four episodes left. One's about Zapp being cancelled and one's about vaccines. I doubt like those odds!

I rewatched seasons 1 and 2 recently and although they aren't as laugh out loud funny as I remember they're solid, clever, and largely character based. Just vastly better than what we're currently getting.

Yeah, totally agree. Those early character dynamics are rock solid and it's clear they'd thought a lot about the main trio of Fry, Leela and Bender and how they would bounce off each other. It's really satisfying to watch, and I think even years later the show is often at its best when it builds an episode around a strong character beat first.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, totally agree. Those early character dynamics are rock solid and it's clear they'd thought a lot about the main trio of Fry, Leela and Bender and how they would bounce off each other. It's really satisfying to watch, and I think even years later the show is often at its best when it builds an episode around a strong character beat first.

The earliest seasons were also trying to make the future its own setting with its own consistencies, with a minor story going on in the background once every ten or so episodes. I miss rats being extinct and owls filling their niche, is what I'm complaining about.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Owl exterminators!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Android Blues posted:

Yeah and with them actually advancing Fry and Leela's relationship they actually have more to mine if they wanted.

Could've had a lot of fun with that under stronger writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ironslave posted:

The earliest seasons were also trying to make the future its own setting with its own consistencies, with a minor story going on in the background once every ten or so episodes. I miss rats being extinct and owls filling their niche, is what I'm complaining about.

Let me axe you something....

Futurama was my favorite go-to example for a sci-fi work that actually took time to detail how little things of everyday boring life would be different in an (admittedly not remotely grounded) futuristic context.