Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Get a bigger desk.

Alternatively, travel back in time to the late 90s and get a keyboard tray?

Under the desk isn't feasible, I sit high enough that my thighs would hit it. I'll probably just use the KVM but i was hoping there'd be some sort of rack or something.

The KVM might also play havoc with my wireless mouse, we'll have to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Muffin
Apr 25, 2007

Women like you are the reason this chickens late in the first place.

Deviant posted:

Anyone have a solution for two keyboards on the same desk?

I haven't used it in years but synergy https://symless.com/synergy used to be excellent for having a windows and a Linux desktop machine side by side and hopping between the two with a single keyboard and mouse. I miss it being free though.

Also great for confusing people.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Captain Muffin posted:

I haven't used it in years but synergy https://symless.com/synergy used to be excellent for having a windows and a Linux desktop machine side by side and hopping between the two with a single keyboard and mouse. I miss it being free though.

These machines share one monitor, so Synergy, while a quality product (if you run the forked version Barrier), is no-go.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Deviant posted:

Under the desk isn't feasible, I sit high enough that my thighs would hit it. I'll probably just use the KVM but i was hoping there'd be some sort of rack or something.

I mean, you could get a monitor stand which does the same kind of thing on the other side of the desk, but I've got all my monitors on adjustable arms now and it's great. The clamping ones are fine for smaller stuff, and I ended up getting a small TV mount for the new (refurb'd) 4k work monitor I picked up from Woot.

Captain Muffin posted:

I've been using Input Director for years now, and it's great aside from the Windows-only component. Microsoft also has a similar thing in PowerToys now, but it's Windows-only and I haven't tried it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Deviant posted:

Get a good powered kvm that maintains USB and display connections and you won't have problems with swap lag. There's a big difference between the trash ones that just flip a switch vs the ones that do proper keep alive. Unfortunately the good ones are usually 150+ especially to support high resolution or refresh rates.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
How has this not been posted here yet?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I mean, you could get a monitor stand which does the same kind of thing on the other side of the desk, but I've got all my monitors on adjustable arms now and it's great. The clamping ones are fine for smaller stuff, and I ended up getting a small TV mount for the new (refurb'd) 4k work monitor I picked up from Woot.

I finally got monitor arms mounted a few months ago and it's made my desk much nicer - not having two big stands sitting on my desk has made it easier to shove stuff under them. For a while I was using some cheap little Amazon Basics platforms to raise my monitors a bit and provide some space under them, but the arms are much better overall.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dug out my extension cable and it helps a lot. Thanks!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gwaihir posted:

Get a good powered kvm that maintains USB and display connections and you won't have problems with swap lag. There's a big difference between the trash ones that just flip a switch vs the ones that do proper keep alive. Unfortunately the good ones are usually 150+ especially to support high resolution or refresh rates.
The trick with these for personal use is they often get in the way of more advanced input devices. Your 1000Hz programmable RGB keyboard and mouse combo probably appear as at least a half dozen different USB endpoints if not more, not just the keyboard and mouse the KVM is emulating. If you're lucky it'll work to whatever level the KVM understands, if you're unlucky it just plain doesn't work in a "smart" port and will have to go on a dumb switched port (if available).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, I ran in to that with one of my previous mice. Keyboards always been fine, but I did have to hang a USB hub off the kvm's generic port to take care of stuff like that.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
just coincidentally saw that Cherry is revising the MX switches for the first time in ???

https://www.cherrymx.de/en/mx2a.html

i know a lot of people have moved on from ever considering these, but it's an interesting development

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm looking around for a decent mechanical numpad but I'm struggling to find good options. Ideally I'd want something preassembled with bluetooth, though I'd settle for just USB. Maybe white or pink. I was looking at this Varmilo one but as I've read here and elsewhere, they seem to be perpetually out of stock.

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't need to adhere strictly to the above points if I can find something else that works.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So a coworker came back from China with this Royal Kludge RKR98 keyboard they picked up for like $50 USD.
https://world.taobao.com/item/716748178414.htm
English listing for specs: https://www.touchmax.co/products/touchmax-rkr98-mechanical-keyboard

They got the "Misty Rain" linear switches on it (2nd option from the top on the Taobao webpage) and it's kinda ridiculous for what it is. Out of box it's already got that creamy clacking sound people spend a bunch of time and effort into achieving with lubing, padding, and such.

Sounds better than whats in this video, though that might just be because of the mic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvsNyOhYMkQ

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I'm looking around for a decent mechanical numpad but I'm struggling to find good options. Ideally I'd want something preassembled with bluetooth, though I'd settle for just USB. Maybe white or pink. I was looking at this Varmilo one but as I've read here and elsewhere, they seem to be perpetually out of stock.

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't need to adhere strictly to the above points if I can find something else that works.

not sure if you are still looking but melgeek has one with bluetooth/usb-c/usb wireless dongle in clear and purple colorways right now:

https://www.melgeek.com/products/melgeek-mojopad-plastic-numpad-mechanical-keyboard-melgeek-com?variant=43997652910334
https://www.melgeek.com/products/me...&pr_seq=uniform

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

post hole digger posted:

not sure if you are still looking but melgeek has one with bluetooth/usb-c/usb wireless dongle in clear and purple colorways right now:

https://www.melgeek.com/products/melgeek-mojopad-plastic-numpad-mechanical-keyboard-melgeek-com?variant=43997652910334
https://www.melgeek.com/products/me...&pr_seq=uniform

Thanks, this looks like a good option. I appreciate the link!

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Hello, I have a question. Does anyone know any advice on how to get dark scuff marks out of PBT keycaps? I was traveling with a keyboard and some slippers in the same bag, and noticed that my tab key has a scuff mark now. I tried using hand sanitizer gel to remove the mark, but it hasn't worked. What can I do besides using sandpaper can I use to remove the scuff mark?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I don’t know if this will work but it feels like it might: what about a pencil eraser?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Thank you for the response! I did start rubbing the hell out of the keycap with a couple of erasers I had lying around, but the issue turned out to be that the scuff marks where also partly scratched in, instead of just being superficial residue stuff. So I also experimented with adding lotion and alternating with hand sanitizer as well, and that in addition to the eraser seemed to have reduced the visibility of the scuff marks a good deal.

The scuff marks/scratches are still somewhat visible though. I might be able to remedy the solution entirely if I could find one of those dire blue tipped erasers that have abrasives added to them that would always gouge paper, but possibly would help out a lot here. Alternatively, I might message a seller on Aliexpress and see if they could just sell me tab keycap by itself. :v: I'll think about this further later and might switch out the keycap set entirely in the meanwhile lol.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

https://mvkb.com/terminal/

https://vala.supply/products/mv-terminal

Second version of this keycaps were just released. Get them while they’re out.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

god please help me posted:

Thank you for the response! I did start rubbing the hell out of the keycap with a couple of erasers I had lying around, but the issue turned out to be that the scuff marks where also partly scratched in, instead of just being superficial residue stuff. So I also experimented with adding lotion and alternating with hand sanitizer as well, and that in addition to the eraser seemed to have reduced the visibility of the scuff marks a good deal.

The scuff marks/scratches are still somewhat visible though. I might be able to remedy the solution entirely if I could find one of those dire blue tipped erasers that have abrasives added to them that would always gouge paper, but possibly would help out a lot here. Alternatively, I might message a seller on Aliexpress and see if they could just sell me tab keycap by itself. :v: I'll think about this further later and might switch out the keycap set entirely in the meanwhile lol.

If it has scratches, sanding or filling then sanding are the only way.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
after putting it off for literal months i got the keyboard on the top working with basic functionality..... qmk is so annoying

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Putting this in both this and the mouse thread, but are there any recs for a wireless keyboard and mouse combo for casual couch gaming?

I'm open to getting a each separate if that's a work around

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Puddin posted:

Putting this in both this and the mouse thread, but are there any recs for a wireless keyboard and mouse combo for casual couch gaming?

I'm open to getting a each separate if that's a work around

i'd just get a logitech combo

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

ziasquinn posted:

i'd just get a logitech combo

That's what I figured, but haven't bought a k/m in the longest time so was just wondering if there was anything else.

Cheers.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Tempting.

(Though I still need to get a second Sonnet and an Envoy first I think)

https://twitter.com/modekeyboards/status/1698327551142441194?s=20

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

That link doesn’t work for me what size is it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

post hole digger posted:

That link doesn’t work for me what size is it

60% according to their youtube video

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://youtu.be/mdcckeVhBbs?si=IDe-yj1KgrVLcTzp

60%.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Tempting.

(Though I still need to get a second Sonnet and an Envoy first I think)

https://twitter.com/modekeyboards/status/1698327551142441194?s=20

So glad I got a used Mode65, they've yet to release a keyboard that's better.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ijyt posted:

So glad I got a used Mode65, they've yet to release a keyboard that's better.

I mean, the sonnet is better, (and my endgame 75) but I like having options and the 60 looks super cool

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LionArcher posted:

I mean, the sonnet is better, (and my endgame 75) but I like having options and the 60 looks super cool

sonnet looks like poo poo hth

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE

ziasquinn posted:

after putting it off for literal months i got the keyboard on the top working with basic functionality..... qmk is so annoying

are those little LCDs??

those look really fun

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

.Z. posted:

So a coworker came back from China with this Royal Kludge RKR98 keyboard they picked up for like $50 USD.

Hey thanks for this post. I need a new kb and that sounds cheap and sexy enough for an impulse purchase. I’m in Taiwan and it looks like there’s a few I could pick up locally. The 烟雨轴 switches right?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BRICKFACE posted:

are those little LCDs??

those look really fun

yeah I need to fix the firmware for the LCDs so they play bongocat

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

FART BOSS posted:

Hey thanks for this post. I need a new kb and that sounds cheap and sexy enough for an impulse purchase. I’m in Taiwan and it looks like there’s a few I could pick up locally. The 烟雨轴 switches right?

Yeah, that's the switch my coworker said they got. One other thing to double check on is that the model is RKR98 not RK98(which is the older model).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CyberpowerPC launched its own line of enthusiast boards. 60%, solid aluminum trays, custom engraving options, full range of Gateron or Kalih switches for $150: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/page/gaming-keyboards/ck60-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
I got bitten by the keyboard bug a while ago, and since then i managed to amass a small collection of keyboards.

First real mechanical keyboard I got for myself, before i realized that I don't really need full size keyboards: Keychron K10, gateron brown switches

Initially it came with the default Keychron keycaps:

and those got replaced by another set from Keychron:

Second one I got was this cheap and nice Akko 7075S. For this one I got akko crystal linear switches, and akko shine through keycaps

Of course, i had to change something, so i got this keycap set from Amazon:

Since i'm a Lord of the Rings fan, I just couldn't not get this one:

Drop lord of the rings edition, dwarvish keycaps, with holy panda X swtiches.
This one is right now my favorite and my daily driver.

First truly 'custom' keyboard I got was this Monsgeek M3, with akko crystal blue switches, and the purple gradient keycap set from idobao

And after that one proved to be a success, I got this Monsgeek M6 which is in all honesty not a favorite of mine:

Last but not the least is this little thing

When I got it it seemed like a great idea, but i guess it's hard to teach old dog new tricks, and i find it extremely hard to use it (for now)

btw, ignore the lovely photos. I'm an engineer, not a photographer.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have been using Kinesis Advantage keyboards for the last decade and the drastic change in layout like in what appears to be an ergodox(?) you posted definitely takes time to get used to. Iirc, the general rules of thumb are like 1-2 weeks of constant use for it to not feel alien anymore and like 2-8 weeks to get back to normal typing speed.

I got the 360 Pro at the beginning of the year with Kailh Silent Pink Box switches and it is basically my dream keyboard. Only real complaints are the inconsistent reconnection of the right pad to the left (like when powering them off and back on or after firmware updates) and the firmware being more involved/awkward to customize than I’d like.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Question: do you folks move your keyboards around on your desk a lot? I feel like I'm constantly nudging mine around, or ignoring its placement and suffering bad typing accuracy/poor ergonomics. Feels like part of the issue is my desk chair - it's on rollers, but this also means I end up sitting in a slightly different place at my desk every time I get up and sit back down. Starting to wonder if I'm doing it wrong - if the keyboard/chair should be in one Ideal Position, All The Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I do, and that's why having a deskmat and a monitor riser is vital to me. The deskmat is large enough that no matter how I move my keyboard and mouse around, the deskmat stays in place. And the monitor riser allows me to just shove my keyboard underneath like a little cove (also rising my monitor up has been good for my neck too).