Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Once this strike (or maybe strikes) finish, how are they going to share duties hosting? Do they alternate or will one (likely Ken) get served a pink slip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Island Nation posted:

Once this strike (or maybe strikes) finish, how are they going to share duties hosting? Do they alternate or will one (likely Ken) get served a pink slip?

Anyone's guess.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Timby posted:

Only for a few weeks. He recorded the final month of episodes over a few days after Mayim stepped back due to the WGA strike. (She's a member, he is not.)

Oh I thought next week was the last. Glad to hear we have a few more.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1glitch0 posted:

Oh I thought next week was the last. Glad to hear we have a few more.

I believe he worked four days, which would give us episodes through the end of the month.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yep, Ken's last ep, and the last of the season, is the 28th.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My guess for Boston Thrash band with a Tony is Anthony Buda of Cryptic Warning/Revocation, but he's a bass player. I wonder if that's who it was lol.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

WarEternal posted:

My guess for Boston Thrash band with a Tony is Anthony Buda of Cryptic Warning/Revocation, but he's a bass player. I wonder if that's who it was lol.

I haven't seen the episode but it's probably Godsmack with their lead guitarist named Tony (Rombola)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Godsmack is not thrash metal. Please god don't let that be the answer.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Granted it was separated by the commerical/chatting but did anyone find it amusing that back to back clues involved Huey Lewis & The News and American Psycho?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Today Ken Jennings said "Earses, noses, and throat" and I laughed my rear end off.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Being from the deep south knotty and naughty are not homophones.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

1glitch0 posted:

Today Ken Jennings said "Earses, noses, and throat" and I laughed my rear end off.

I just caught up, he's going to be Dr. Tommy John for the next six years. I don't care what the click bait headlines say, he should have known that surgery.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
For what it's worth. SAG-AFTRA has a list of programs that those in the union can work on and game shows are on the list.

Not sure how this works with WGA striking alongside them but there you go.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, even if performing as host wouldn't break any rules, generating clues would, so there's still no show

Although, if there's anyone on the planet who could improvise a round of jeopardy on the spot, it's Jennings

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Island Nation posted:

For what it's worth. SAG-AFTRA has a list of programs that those in the union can work on and game shows are on the list.

Not sure how this works with WGA striking alongside them but there you go.

It's a bit different, because SAG-AFTRA has an active, separate contract with production companies that covers things like game shows. Under that contract, it can't ask or prohibit members to strike against companies for productions covered for that contract. In fact, SAG members who are already signed for stuff under produced the network code probably can't back out because of the strike, because that agreement probably contains a "no strike" clause. (I can't easily find a PDF of that agreement, but it's very probably in there.)

WGA does not have a separate contract for game shows. The WGA ask is "our members *must* not do any writing work for any struck companies, and we also *ask* that they not do any work for struck companies". They don't have the separate contract with the no-strike clause, so they can ask that. So while technically WGA can't retaliate against Mayim for doing hosting work, because that's not *WGA* work, they can ask her "hey, you shouldn't do that, out of solidarity", and she can comply if she wants.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/n...37-b1a96b1e2406

You already know in your heart who is going to win.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Duckman2008 posted:

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/n...37-b1a96b1e2406

You already know in your heart who is going to win.

Pat because of him leaving. A few voters won't realize it's after next season.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Big deal

https://t.co/At453FYfrF

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Good ol' Ray :argh:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.avclub.com/jeopardy-winners-wont-cross-the-picket-line-for-toc-1850672724

quote:

The labor actions energizing the American workforce have found a new ally: Jeopardy champions. Over the weekend, 13-time Jeopardy!-winner and proud IATSE union member Ray Lalonde announced in the Jeopardy subreddit that he would not cross the picket line to appear on Jeopardy!’s annual Tournament Of Champions. In the post, Lalonde said that he was alerted to a “contingency plan” for the Tournament should the strike continue. The plan? Use “old and/or recycled material” written by WGA members prior to the strike. Ah, nothing but the best for America’s brightest.

“I am and will always be grateful for the experience I had on the show, and the opportunity to participate in the TOC is beyond a dream come true for me,” he wrote. “That being said, I believe that the show’s writers are a vital part of the show, and they are justified in taking their job action to secure a fair contract for themselves and their fellow WGA members.”

“As a supporter of the trade union movement, a union member’s son, and a proud union member myself, I have informed the show’s producers that if the strike remains unresolved, I will not cross a picket line to play in the Tournament Of Champions.”

He’s not the only one. Other Jeopardy! winners, including 21-time winner Cris Pannullo, eight-time winner Hannah Wilson, six-time winner Troy Meyer, and nine-time winner Ben Chan, all expressed their solidarity with Lalonde in the subreddit.

Since the strike started, Jeopardy! has been a regular source of controversy, which apparently is this show’s final form. In May, Ken Jennings caught the ire of one Mr. Wil Wheaton due to Jennings’s willingness to host the last four episodes of the Jeopardy! Masters tournament, crossing the WGA picket line to do so. “This is a VERY small town, Ken Jennings, and we will all remember this,” Wheaton wrote on Facebook. Mayim Bialick stood in solidarity with the show’s writers.

“Our words are on the screen every night,” Jeopardy writers Billy Wisse and Michelle Loud told Variety in May. “There is no Jeopardy without writers. Without us, it’s just an empty blue screen.”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

haveblue posted:

Yeah, even if performing as host wouldn't break any rules, generating clues would, so there's still no show

Although, if there's anyone on the planet who could improvise a round of jeopardy on the spot, it's Jennings

Improvised Jeopardy is a lot of fun, did it at a party 9nce and was briefly convinced it could be developed into a proper party game. It can't, but if you're okay at improv and know your friends , it's more than possible to bullshit some categories and work backwards for answers. Gotta be more flexible on appropriate responses but some good buzzed fun.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yeah, Ray rules.

Chris, Hannah and Troy (that I know of) have also said they won't show up in solidarity if they choose to go ahead with this, so it's going to be the most laughable ToC of all time if the top four seeds all refuse to show up and they still go ahead with it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/Jeopardamy/status/1683986746659454977?s=20

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Filming officially delayed on season 40.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
hell yeah, can't wait to see what Aunt June on facebook has to say about that

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A recycled questions episode of only questions nobody got right the first time could be a fun one off gimmick episode maybe, just obviously not acceptable as a scab measure.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

An empty blue screen, I guess a Win, Lose or Draw revival might not require much writing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
TOC officially on hold

quote:

A “Jeopardy!” spokesperson shared a statement Tuesday evening, affirming that the series had no plans to produce a Tournament of Champions until the strike is resolved. The spokesperson also stated that no contestants had been contacted regarding availability for a postseason tournament. However, the show plans to continue producing episodes in the fall, using material written by WGA writers before the strike began.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Timby posted:

Filming officially delayed on season 40.

Do you have a source on that, I'm only seeing things about the TOC.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
FYI: Most of Ken's original run is free to watch on pluto.tv right now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Second and third place prizes are going up to 3k and 2k

They're also running S40 as a "second chance" tournament for people in S37 and S38, although I personally know of some people who have been contacted who won multiple games so who the gently caress knows, but this is using a mix of old clues that never got used, and recycled clues, because OF COURSE IT IS.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What criteria should I use to determine whether or not Ken is a scab? I want to hear him telling the bosses to eat poo poo, but he probably won’t do that.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I AM GRANDO posted:

What criteria should I use to determine whether or not Ken is a scab? I want to hear him telling the bosses to eat poo poo, but he probably won’t do that.

If he personally performs writing services for the show, he’s a scab.
If he hosts the show with recycled/surplus clues written by union writers, he’s not a scab but it’s a very bad look.
If he hosts the show with clues written by scab writers, he’s no better than a scab.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Ken is not a member of SAG (AFAIK) but SAG members are allowed to participate in Game Show productions because those are covered under a different contract then the one being struck right now.

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/sa_documents/Strike_NetCode.pdf

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What happened to J-archive? They haven't updated in a month. Did the owner die? Or is it offseason?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

escape artist posted:

What happened to J-archive? They haven't updated in a month. Did the owner die? Or is it offseason?

Jeopardy is in reruns right now.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ah okay. I kept getting Final Jeopardy puzzles on my facebook feed so I thought it was new.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FrumpleOrz posted:

Jeopardy is in reruns right now.

I accidentally read this as Jeopardy is in ruins right now.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've been seeing some rumors that Miyam may not return to Jeopardy in season 40. So far they just seem to be rumors, but supposedly Ken has already replaced her as Celebrity Jeopardy host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've been seeing some rumors that Miyam may not return to Jeopardy in season 40. So far they just seem to be rumors, but supposedly Ken has already replaced her as Celebrity Jeopardy host.

That latter part is confirmed, because she's on strike and he isn't. They're using material for Celebrity J! that was written before the writer's strike.

I wouldn't be surprised if this strike ends up getting Mayim pushed out permanently over Ken. He did the majority of the hosting during the season, including the last couple of weeks. People are just used to having him and almost exclusively him on their TVs now.