Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Madurai posted:

Datapoint: the Philippine Navy lost a hydrofoil patrol boat when it struck a basking shark.

I have to imagine the wreck looked like a stunt from the A-Team but, you know, on water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Madurai posted:

Datapoint: the Philippine Navy lost a hydrofoil patrol boat when it struck a basking shark.

Poor shark :ohdear:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The Philippine navy became real hacks after that incident

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
let he who has not sunk a hydrofoil on a basking shark cast the first stone

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
At least they didn’t jump the shark

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:thejoke:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1697153525019467967

quote:

Girkin strikes back! Announces presidential candidacy!

Girkin published a manifesto on his Telegram channel comparing himself to the current president, who is "too kind, too trusting, too athletic and sporty", and offers himself to the people!

Seriously though, looks like Girkin and his wife gave up on hoping for "justice" and decided to troll their way out of the situation. Girkin remains in custody despite the appeal.

A moderately funny read for anyone who is an afficionado of Girkin's depressive rants.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
putin will make an attempt on his life which will make all his hair fall out leading to a dilemma

does he let everyone laugh at him or does he kill him for looking like him

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

putin will make an attempt on his life which will make all his hair fall out leading to a dilemma

does he let everyone laugh at him or does he kill him for looking like him

Russian leaders have followed a pattern unto antiquity that each successive leader had or does not have hair. Putin is balding, so the replacement will have a thick head of hair.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Gonna laugh if they somehow managed to make a sick rear end ramp for the next explosive boat.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Theres rather graphic video of 2 Ukranians doing an ambush, then another, then another. All filmed clearly from a drone overhead.

The 2 Ukranians are in a small fox hole with some concealment and 2 Russians setup around 10 yards infront of them into another scrape/hole with their backs exposed. They had no idea the Ukranians were there and are shot.

Then 2 more Russians come along and see the 2 dead Russians, and are also shot.

Then 3 more Russians come along and see the 4 dead Russians, and are also shot.

Really shows the benefit of concealment.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
this seems like one of those word problems that make the news because a parent complained about their kid's math homework

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Baconroll posted:

To say nothing of the incredible detriment of just leaving your side's bodies where they fall so routinely that your soldiers don't take them as a cue that caution is in order.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Baconroll posted:

Theres rather graphic video of 2 Ukranians doing an ambush, then another, then another. All filmed clearly from a drone overhead.

The 2 Ukranians are in a small fox hole with some concealment and 2 Russians setup around 10 yards infront of them into another scrape/hole with their backs exposed. They had no idea the Ukranians were there and are shot.

this reads like one of those real life examples you get told in workplace safety courses "x person was driving their truck, they hit a big pothole and it broke containment, the driver didn't think to put on any PPE before checking and passed out while checking. Their partner went to check on them and passed out, they both died"

complacency (and severe lack of situational awareness) kills

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

... I half-expect this to be attempted by Ukranians with some cobbled together parts and use it to successfully sink a guided missile frigate.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

GD_American posted:

this seems like one of those word problems that make the news because a parent complained about their kid's math homework

Johnny has a fighting position and two dead Russian troops. Five more troops are coming, how many dead Russians will Johnny have?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's the oldest trick in the book to play on poorly trained, poorly lead, and overall disorganized troops. Shoot one or two guys from a well concealed position, let more enemies try recovering the injured/dead, shoot them, wait for more people to filter in; rinse and repeat as needed

I know video games aren't real life, but play any "realistic" combat game and you can have the pleasure of watching this phenomenon yourself. An entire team will sometimes take up positions on top of the corpses of their teammates in an attempt to kill whatever had killed their teammates, without realizing that they're now becoming ducks in a shooting gallery

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

This is art. I love a good pixel drawing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/21123

quote:

There Are Still Buses From Kyiv to Moscow – and Ukrainians Are Still Using Them

Many of the passengers boarding Moscow-bound buses from over a dozen Ukrainian cities are doing so without getting their passports stamped by Russian border guards.

Do you think the SBU saboteurs just take a loving bus across the border, blow poo poo up, and then head back the next day.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Do you think the SBU saboteurs just take a loving bus across the border, blow poo poo up, and then head back the next day.

glory to Arstotzka

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Baconroll posted:

The Navy used to (and still might) send out a Safety Gram every week of what got hosed in the Fleet, unofficial title. My favorite was always the Pile of Bodies at the Bottom of the Ladder. Someone would go down into a confined space that wasn't properly shown to be Gas Free and then pass out and well, before you knew it there was a pile of unconscious squids.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm glad they're using public transit.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Baconroll posted:

In other news, Ukrainian partisans were able to remove all the good guns from a Russian Armory by putting a bucket over the shop keeper's head first.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

The Navy used to (and still might) send out a Safety Gram every week of what got hosed in the Fleet, unofficial title. My favorite was always the Pile of Bodies at the Bottom of the Ladder. Someone would go down into a confined space that wasn't properly shown to be Gas Free and then pass out and well, before you knew it there was a pile of unconscious squids.

:wtc: how is that still happening?
And how is that a favorite? Fuuuck.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

Were any of them funny fuckups that just caused property damage or were they just horrible actual accidents that got people mangled/killed?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol the Atma threads were pure gold, the Bob one was my favorite (some may require archives):

Adventures of satan: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581840

Hey, it's bob: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3591722

Endtimes: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608584

M370: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625112

Bendyman: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646677

IS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664216

1848: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735669

Corona: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918458

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Jesus I haven't thought of these in a long time.

I remember Atma saying they required a lot of prepared art with some educated guesses to be able to keep the thread going.. which also meant wasted effort because poo poo tended to go crazy.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/anno1540/status/1697240473025249451

If you recall the mass cardboard drone attack recently, here's footage of one being tested.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Action-Bastard posted:

https://twitter.com/anno1540/status/1697240473025249451

If you recall the mass cardboard drone attack recently, here's footage of one being tested.

Gotte dang that's insane. This war is crazy, and there's a certain poetic justice in Ukraine developing a long range attack drone out of cardboard that's just as if not more effective than the pseudo-slave labour produced Shaheds that Russia is now making.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Gotte dang that's insane. This war is crazy, and there's a certain poetic justice in Ukraine developing a long range attack drone out of cardboard that's just as if not more effective than the pseudo-slave labour produced Shaheds that Russia is now making.

Iirc the drones originally came from an Australian company.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Speaking of Ukrainian long range attack stuff, not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but they made a version of their domestic Neptune(the one that sunk the Moskva) for land-attack purposes, which has a range of about 360km and has been used in some of the recent deep strikes we've been reading about.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

The Russians imported technology from Iran and spent many Rubles setting up factories
The Ukrainians used recycled Amazon packages

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

PurpleXVI posted:

Were any of them funny fuckups that just caused property damage or were they just horrible actual accidents that got people mangled/killed?

It was actually written in humorous tones as long as no one died. Rarely where the bodies at the bottom of letter fatalities. Mostly just losing consciousness because of the gas. But it just happened so many times.

So the actual fatalities were treated with respect and the message that whatever happened absolutely shouldn't happen, but the other safety violations were just people who made ridiculously dumb decisions most of the time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

There's a well-known incident where a few people died trying to clean out a bilge, mainly because the first person to go in forgot that there's no air circulation in a bilge and it is basically all CO2 and other fun things, holy poo poo and they passed out within seconds of entering the confined space. One person tried to go in, but used the wrong kind of breathing apparatus and ran out of O2 before they could get the first person out.

I think 3 or 4 people died/became brain dead before a proper rescue crew was assembled, it's hosed up

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Aces High posted:

There's a well-known incident where a few people died trying to clean out a bilge, mainly because the first person to go in forgot that there's no air circulation in a bilge and it is basically all CO2 and other fun things, holy poo poo and they passed out within seconds of entering the confined space. One person tried to go in, but used the wrong kind of breathing apparatus and ran out of O2 before they could get the first person out.

I think 3 or 4 people died/became brain dead before a proper rescue crew was assembled, it's hosed up

Don't google "potato cellar deaths".

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

anchor chain lockers where all the oxygen has been converted into rust are a frequent killer on ships too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Every year people die from asphyxiation in manure tanks and from trying to save people asphyxiating in manure gases.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Dammit, spankmeister beat me to the manure tank. It's usually several people dying one after another too.

Grain silos also kill a surprising number of people.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

Grain silos also kill a surprising number of people.

The scariest part of Quiet Place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I didn't know about the chain locker thing, that's interesting. Makes a lot of sense but never gave it any thought