Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Maybe some of it has to do with it being the end of summer and not as many people being on vacation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

Maybe some of it has to do with it being the end of summer and not as many people being on vacation?

Do some people still get to take vacations without their work phone and laptop?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Yeah absolutely, Fall is hiring season.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

strangehamster posted:

Cool, good to know. I've only ever been involved with filling open roles after someone leaves.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

strangehamster posted:

Yeah, it always picks up now and slows down again around November to pick back up again in mid January.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
That's good to know. Now my rejection emails should start flowing in much faster!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah, this is it.

Good time for me to be considering a move.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Many places are also getting new budgets approved for the FY

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I’ve been looking for months, I get to about 3 rounds of interviews and then “no thanks different direction” over and over.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I've been looking for program management jobs since June here in Seattle and haven't gotten so much as an interview. Just rejections, no response, and quite a few left in some form of "under consideration".

Looking for work in Seattle is pretty demoralizing right now, I can only imagine part of it is the huge amount of people laid off this year in the area. Of my fellow grad school graduates from June that were looking for jobs, not a single one has been hired anywhere yet.

Seems like every job I apply for gets 700+ applicants on Linkedin, and I keep seeing a lot of the same jobs getting reposted by companies.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

strangehamster posted:

I’ve been looking for months, I get to about 3 rounds of interviews and then “no thanks different direction” over and over.

It's important not to let that get you down and frustrated. That's the normal experience when you're an excellent candidate but the job wasn't actually open, they knew before they posted it who they were giving it to. Which is a very common thing. Keep a positive attitude and you'll land something good sooner or later.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

strangehamster posted:

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's important not to let that get you down and frustrated. That's the normal experience when you're an excellent candidate but the job wasn't actually open, they knew before they posted it who they were giving it to. Which is a very common thing. Keep a positive attitude and you'll land something good sooner or later.

Agree with Eric but also it might be worth doing a little background check. If there’s any way you can request a background/credit report, Google your name, double check your social media stuff you might find a thing that can be fixed.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

CarForumPoster posted:

Agree with Eric but also it might be worth doing a little background check. If there’s any way you can request a background/credit report, Google your name, double check your social media stuff you might find a thing that can be fixed.

I believe we have talked about that, last August.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Had a really fun start to a 2nd stage interview with CEO.

"One of the reasons this role stood out to me was that when I was researching the industry I found many articles indicating this sector was recession proof"
"I'm gonna stop you right there. That is absolutely wrong."

I don't think I'll make it to the next round. Whoops.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Trickortreat posted:

"One of the reasons this role stood out to me was that when I was researching the industry I found many articles indicating this sector was recession proof"

Lol eh that’s not much of a faux pas you aight.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah don't be surprised if you get a callback anyway, a lot of CEOs get off on dunking on every person they talk to.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, a CEO correcting you is not a negative at all. However, I wouldn't say "this job is recession proof" as a reason you want it in general, that may be true but it's not the kind of veneer that people are looking for with that kind of question.

That comes off a little like your saying "I want this job because it's hard to get fired".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah you talk about long term stability or poo poo like that, or like interesting opportunities in coutnercyclicality or something

you want to be asking the people on the other side of the table what THEIR opinion of your industry is.

we had a manager candidate this week who seemed competent and asked zero questions about the job. Don't you want to know the duration, types of projects you would be asked to manage, and how resource allocation works and all that poo poo? anyway he's not progressing despite being on paper qualified and relatively competent.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trickortreat posted:

Following on from whay KYOON said, I'd be following up with something along the lines of "that got my interest, but now that we're on the subject, why do you think that's wrong and how are you planning to weather one?" to just let the CEO brag about how much cleverer than other CEOs in the industry he is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we had a manager candidate this week who seemed competent and asked zero questions about the job. Don't you want to know the duration, types of projects you would be asked to manage, and how resource allocation works and all that poo poo? anyway he's not progressing despite being on paper qualified and relatively competent.

This is like the easiest trap to fall into especially for more senior or management people. New people I will give some benefit because they may not know what they don't know, but if you've had leadership experience in the past and you can't come up with a single question it screams "I just checked boxes all day".

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, thread.

I'm looking for a new job, because I want to leave my current one. I work in industrial maintenance, currently in a facility that produces soft drink bottles, and I'd like to continue in that field. I haven't job searched in a few years. Does anyone know of a specific job site that caters to that sort of industry? Or is LinkedIn and Indeed still the main hotness for job searching?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I say this 100% genuinely and without trying to be aggressive but have you tried going to the websites of companies you’d be interested in working in and checking their Careers section?

It sounds like your field is probably fairly narrow and the players probably well known?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Or as a step 0, go to your company's career site, find your role and put some of those titles and keywords in a job search site.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're specialized and certified on any kind of equipment, it's worth checking out that equipment manufacturer's website for other companies that they list as clients. That is assuming you want to eg keep working on SIPA blowing machines or whatever.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread.

I'm looking for a new job, because I want to leave my current one. I work in industrial maintenance, currently in a facility that produces soft drink bottles, and I'd like to continue in that field. I haven't job searched in a few years. Does anyone know of a specific job site that caters to that sort of industry? Or is LinkedIn and Indeed still the main hotness for job searching?

To answer your original question: all the major manufacturing operations in my area seem to still be posting on Indeed and LinkedIn. Funny enough, I had a manufacturing maintenance company reach out to me last week via Indeed because I'm in an adjacent field.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Good answers ITT.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I posted in here awhile ago. I'm wanting to break away from service industry/retail/poo poo jobs that I've been working through college and since graduating (I'm at the younger extreme of SA users I think, I'm 25). I have a BSc in Bioinformatics and I'm currently taking computer engineering courses at my local uni because I realized academia was not going to make me a happy person and I want to pivot into IT.

I live in Latin America and have for the past 15 years, but I'm a US citizen. I've been realizing that it might be silly of me not to leverage this to at least look into remote work for a US company. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to look to find out how exactly this would work? Like I mentioned, I'm trying to transition into my first office job out of college so I really have no idea and I'm not sure how much of an obstacle not living in the US will be, but any salary in dollars is going to beat what I'll make at an entry level position here so I feel like I need to give it a shot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tosk posted:

I posted in here awhile ago. I'm wanting to break away from service industry/retail/poo poo jobs that I've been working through college and since graduating (I'm at the younger extreme of SA users I think, I'm 25). I have a BSc in Bioinformatics and I'm currently taking computer engineering courses at my local uni because I realized academia was not going to make me a happy person and I want to pivot into IT.

I live in Latin America and have for the past 15 years, but I'm a US citizen. I've been realizing that it might be silly of me not to leverage this to at least look into remote work for a US company. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to look to find out how exactly this would work? Like I mentioned, I'm trying to transition into my first office job out of college so I really have no idea and I'm not sure how much of an obstacle not living in the US will be, but any salary in dollars is going to beat what I'll make at an entry level position here so I feel like I need to give it a shot.

Well, companies hire people in Latin America because they don't want to pay US salaries. So you're probably not going to get a job at a US salary in Latin America, even if you have a US passport. That said, having a US passport is a plus so that helps.

You want to pivot to IT, what education/skills/certs do you have?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I quoted myself in yospos and yeah, I realize I might be being somewhat naive but I'm posting because SA is mostly populated by people with a lot more experience than I have.

I'm just looking for advice regarding this situation because I figure if can't hurt to look for remote postings in the US at the same time as I look for them in LatAm, given I might be eligible for them.

That said, even a pretty mediocre US salary will probably go far here given my cost of living, so I am still interested.

As far as skills, like my post mentioned, I don't have any professional experience but my BSc in Bio required me to learn basic Bash and R and a fair amount of Python. My computer engineering courses are more C#-focused (I'm in my second year there) for the time being.

I'm just getting into online courses and more focused stuff on my own as time permits between work/studying, but I'm following roadmaps to work towards having a basic github portfolio and learning javascript to get into things like React and Node.js to make myself more marketable.

You replied to me the last time I came in here and I appreciate you taking the time, thanks

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lockback posted:

Well, companies hire people in Latin America because they don't want to pay US salaries. So you're probably not going to get a job at a US salary in Latin America, even if you have a US passport. That said, having a US passport is a plus so that helps.

You want to pivot to IT, what education/skills/certs do you have?

I have friends living in LATAM making USD working developer jobs for US companies as LATAM nationals. One of them works for X-Team.

It's low-end US developer money (USD$7k/mo), but it goes a HELL of a long way in LATAM. The key skill is being able to speak English at a professional level.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

dpkg chopra posted:

I say this 100% genuinely and without trying to be aggressive but have you tried going to the websites of companies you’d be interested in working in and checking their Careers section?

It sounds like your field is probably fairly narrow and the players probably well known?

I hadn't, mostly because I mistyped, and meant to say that I'd like to stay within the field of industrial maintenance. Basically, I really like fixing big, complex machines. I'm not concerned about staying within the bottling industry as a whole as long as I can continue to do that. To that end, I'm entirely unsure if there's other bottlers in town at all, though I know there's a ton of other manufacturers I could go work for. That's the reason I asked if there was a specific site for those sorts of industry jobs. I didn't know if there was a dedicated site, like how there's one for government jobs, for example.

Coco13 posted:

Or as a step 0, go to your company's career site, find your role and put some of those titles and keywords in a job search site.

It actually, honestly hadn't occurred to me to do this, so thank you for that idea.

wash bucket posted:

To answer your original question: all the major manufacturing operations in my area seem to still be posting on Indeed and LinkedIn. Funny enough, I had a manufacturing maintenance company reach out to me last week via Indeed because I'm in an adjacent field.

Ah, good to know then.

CarForumPoster posted:

Good answers ITT.

:agreed:

So then my next, probably very stupid question is: Is there like, a specific post, or thread, for LinkedIn for dummies? Like, yeah, I get the whole sign up process and all that, but networking has always been one of my weakest areas. Do I just like, follow everyone and everything with even the most remote connection to what I'm looking for? Or do I pick and choose based on something? Should I follow people who are employed by my current employer if I'm looking to leave? I assume no? Is that assumption correct? Etc etc etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I was gonna say a lot of companies I work with (big industrials, global footprint) like hiring people who are local in market but also speak good English / have American cultural context and will pay decent money for that kind of background. Now my industry is not really IT per se but I think you’ll have decent options overall as a knowledge economy worker that’s transnational.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tosk posted:

I'm just looking for advice regarding this situation because I figure if can't hurt to look for remote postings in the US at the same time as I look for them in LatAm, given I might be eligible for them.

If a job says "Remote US" they cannot hire in a different country. Every country has different rules about hiring and tax and it's not legal just to say someone is in the US. So you won't be able to legally take a US job living overseas.

Now all that said, it will absolutely be a plus applying for LOCAL job postings from US companies given your background. But that will most likely pay local wages (or actually, probably above local wages but US wages won't have much of a bearing).

I'm not trying to quash your dreams but its just going to be a waste applying for a bunch of jobs you can't legally be hired for. The way to get a US job would to move to the US. You can try to get a US job first and move before the first day but that gets tricky.

Source: I just spent the last year+ getting an office in Costa Rica up and it took a LOT of time and effort before we could hire the first person.

As to getting hired, do you have a github with projects? Getting hired without a relevant degree or a bootcamp in development is tough. Personally, I'd expect to see some "knock my socks off" projects to prove to me. If you can do a bootcamp locally those are pretty good. Depending on your country they may be prevalent or not. I'd still expect some decent projects but a bootcamp certification goes a long way.

In CR I'm hiring guys coming out of school and I will tell you at least there they come out with a lot of polish and great communication skills. At this point I wouldn't consider someone who isn't finished/within 6 months of finishing a relevant degree + good projects (In CR the last semester+ is like extended Internship, so finishing is mostly ceremony). I have too many good candidates who meet that already. Other countries may be different.

Mantle posted:

I have friends living in LATAM making USD working developer jobs for US companies as LATAM nationals. One of them works for X-Team.

It's low-end US developer money (USD$7k/mo), but it goes a HELL of a long way in LATAM. The key skill is being able to speak English at a professional level.

Yeah, absolutely. Those jobs are all out of local offices (even if the job is remote and the office is a post office box). Our Senior CR guys are making good money even by US standards, but it all has to go under that countries umbrella.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 31, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

You're not quashing my dreams, I came to the thread to ask how these things work because I'm young and have only worked lovely non-office jobs without much perspective about what labor laws for working from another country while being a US citizen imply, so I appreciate the personalized advice! I think getting experience at an on-site or hybrid job where I currently live is probably still the best idea then. Speaking native English will probably be a factor in my favor regardless of whether or not I end up at a US company. Meanwhile I'll continue to further my education (although finishing a second degree in engineering sounds unlikely, but I have a few other options) and build up a portfolio. Thanks!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

neogeo0823 posted:

So then my next, probably very stupid question is: Is there like, a specific post, or thread, for LinkedIn for dummies? Like, yeah, I get the whole sign up process and all that, but networking has always been one of my weakest areas. Do I just like, follow everyone and everything with even the most remote connection to what I'm looking for? Or do I pick and choose based on something? Should I follow people who are employed by my current employer if I'm looking to leave? I assume no? Is that assumption correct? Etc etc etc.
Connect to literally everyone you know until you hit 500 connections, follow only big name companies in your field or stuff that makes you look like you live and breathe the job.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Why 500?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
LinkedIn stops showing the count at 500

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How do the "digital nomads" who work for Google or whatever live in like Bali then? Is it a "get a job and then move out of the country" thing?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A lot of those folks are self employed or working as contractors with different rules. I don't know the specifics but I'd wager most have a US address or PO box.

I'm also not sure how much enforcement goes on. Within companies and from governments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Different companies have different rules for who can work where. Google has historically been very permissive, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start being more restrictive now.