Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

You have to be stupid to think that Biden should be anything other than courteous and supportive of Mitch when he is obviously stroking out on live TV. Him saying anything bad about a guy having a medical event will only paint Biden in a negative light, and add fuel to the calls for Biden himself to step down because of his age.

Apparently he doesn't have a cognitive issue - a reporter simply asked him to do his famous "Elf on the Shelf" impression 😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

https://twitter.com/ACLU/status/1696904014158352845

Seems like a big deal, it both opens the door for addressing credit discrimination against specific groups and also a bunch of other shady poo poo that's industry standard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The administration's approach to labour has been interesting. I do wonder if there's been a mix of the ancient geezers who don't understand why they were so openly hostile to organised labour anymore and some of the less ancient looking at their policies and realising they're getting literally nothing out of anti-union, anti-drug and anti-sex worker policies when literally the only people they impress are ones existentially opposed to the existence of non-Republicans anyway. (or are rusted-on blue voters no matter how hard they clutch their pearls)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kavros posted:

the universe gave them plenty of warnings, they should have basically understood it was over by the time this came out

In addition to calling these dudes Young, this photo so weirds me out bc why can not one of them smile like a human

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rick Scott is 100% going to make a run at leadership even though no one likes him

Nobody likes anyone who is running for anything, it's the perfect time

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The administration's approach to labour has been interesting. I do wonder if there's been a mix of the ancient geezers who don't understand why they were so openly hostile to organised labour anymore and some of the less ancient looking at their policies and realising they're getting literally nothing out of anti-union, anti-drug and anti-sex worker policies when literally the only people they impress are ones existentially opposed to the existence of non-Republicans anyway. (or are rusted-on blue voters no matter how hard they clutch their pearls)

It makes so much sense it's maddening the Dems spent so long ignoring unions. I think Biden has always been a pro organized labor kind of guy, so that part isn't too surprising. Dems also do way better with union labor than non-union, so the more people they get in unions, the better they do. Also a good strategy to win back blue collar workers that fled to Trump.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dubar posted:

If you want to become the Senate leader you need the caucus to at minimum respect you, and nobody cares about Rick Scott

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you want to become the Senate leader you need the caucus to at minimum respect you, and nobody cares about Rick Scott

But here's the thing, if you're SO disrespected, then no one will want to do what you say, so you just say you want the opposite of what you want and watch everyone fall into lockstep to deny you what you say you want! It's brilliant! ...or they form an angry mob and burn you at the stake, but Rick Scott is already a skeleton, so whatever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rick Scott is 100% going to make a run at leadership even though no one likes him

Dubar posted:

It might be a damning indictment of Rick Scott that nobody remembers this, but he literally did try to run for Minority Leader against McConnell just last year. He got 11 votes.

That run was 50% ego and 50% because he didn't want to be shamefully voted out of running the NRSC after he wasted so much of their money in 2022.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Randalor posted:

But here's the thing, if you're SO disrespected, then no one will want to do what you say, so you just say you want the opposite of what you want and watch everyone fall into lockstep to deny you what you say you want! It's brilliant! ...or they form an angry mob and burn you at the stake, but Rick Scott is already a skeleton, so whatever.

The way the republican base reacts to anything Democrats do, I kind of wonder if this strategy should be employed nationwide.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

xeria posted:

With Mitch obviously priming up a massive stroke sooner than later, who's poised in the GOP to take control as senate party leader? I'm sure at least a half dozen guys think they should get it but they're all probably guys that no one else likes (Cruz, etc.).

The most likely candidates are the other top Senate leadership folks: current Minority Whip John Thune, previous Minority Whip John Cornyn, and current Chair of the GOP Senate Conference John Barrasso.

Thune has been a Republican rising star for decades, and firmly belongs to the pre-Trump tradition of moderate business Republicans paying lip service to conservative social issues. While he's the current GOP #2 in the Senate and is close to McConnell, he's had a somewhat rocky relationship with the MAGA movement, and Trump openly branded him a RINO and called for MAGA types to primary him in 2022.

Cornyn came up through the Texas GOP and rode the Bush clan's coattails to national prominence, but he's been a far-right true believer the whole time. He enthusiastically embraced MAGA when Trump was on the rise, and while his relationship to Trump does seem to be one of political convenience rather than true personal loyalty, he agrees with the MAGAs on most social issues so I wouldn't expect him to diverge too much from the MAGAs on things.

Barrasso is kind of an unlikely choice, I think. He lags the other two in name recognition, political record, and other things like that. Politically, he's a total weathervane, notorious for shifting or even reversing his positions in response to the political winds and the preferences of donors. He started his political career as a pro-choice moderate, but he quickly discovered that moving to the right was consistently a big benefit to his political fortunes, and he's spent nearly three decades scooting rightward in response to various challenges. Right now, he's at least as pro-Trump as Cornyn is, and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The drug and union changes are being pushed by the executive branch/Biden admin, but the anti-sex worker complaint against Mastercard is being filed by the ACLU with the FTC and not something the federal government actively sought out. The FTC might side with the ACLU, but they haven't made a decision yet because the complaint was just filed yesterday. I think the ACLU has a pretty good chance of the FTC siding with them since they are sticking to "online sex workers," which is generally legal activity.

There might have been some changes in federal government policy recently that were more pro-sex worker, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Most of that stuff is handled at the state or local level.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kavros posted:

the universe gave them plenty of warnings, they should have basically understood it was over by the time this came out

I dont remember who Cantor is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Blake Masters is giving it another shot in Arizona.

Unless something changes, that means that either Kari Lake and Blake Masters are likely to be the Republican nominees for the Arizona Senate seat.

That would make the likely election:

Democrat: Ruben Galego
Republican: Kari Lake/Blake Masters
Independent: Krysten Sinema

The national Republican Senate Campaign Committee was trying to recruit Pinal County sheriff Mark Lamb as their candidate and clear the field for him, but that obviously did not work. He could still possibly win the primary, but seems unlikely based on polling and the GOP primary electorate.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1696995351851380760

quote:

Blake Masters plans another Arizona Senate bid — this time for Sinema’s seat

Blake Masters is making plans to launch another Arizona Senate bid, potentially as soon as next week, according to three people familiar with the matter.

Masters did not reply to a request for comment. Masters won the GOP nomination last year but lost to Democratic Sen. Mark Kelly in a critical swing state.

Former gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake’s advisers say she is expected to announce a Senate campaign in early fall, though some Republicans are skeptical Lake and Masters would run for the same seat. Pinal County sheriff Mark Lamb is another GOP candidate.

Barrett Marson, an Arizona-based GOP strategist, said he talked to Masters a few months ago and he “was pretty decisively in.” However, he said, Masters had been waiting for Lake to decide whether to run.

“I think he is now under the impression that maybe Kari Lake isn’t going to run, because I’ll tell you if Lake and Blake are both in, he is wasting his time,” he said. “They occupy the same lane. They have nearly the same name. And she has much better positive name ID among Republicans than Blake does.”

“If Kari Lake runs, there is no lane for Blake Masters,” he added.

This year’s Senate race could be much weirder than last year, with Sen. Kyrsten Sinema potentially running as an independent — though she hasn’t yet indicated her plans — and Rep. Ruben Gallego running for the Democratic nomination.

And Republicans could face a tough primary between Masters, Lake and Lamb; GOP leaders have shown no preference among those candidates. Last year, Washington Republicans eventually soured on Masters’ candidacy as conservatives pushed for more funding in his race, a sign the party is divided on the kind of nominee that can win in Arizona. And traditional GOP candidates like former Gov. Doug Ducey have passed on the race.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PhazonLink posted:

I dont remember who Cantor is.

He was going to be the first Jewish Speaker of the House and was the #2 Republican in the House, but he ended up losing his primary to a complete unknown who ran on a single issue campaign of Eric Cantor being too soft on illegal immigration in 2014. It was sort of a preview with how obsessed the GOP was becoming about immigration and how Trump rode that anti-immigration mood to the nomination two years later.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Blake Masters is giving it another shot in Arizona.

Congrats to Senator-elect Gallego

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1697030052024566096

Just down on the border with my suppressed German gun that was made in Germany , caressing it. ASMR for Nazis.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's another interesting recent gap in the different perceptions people have about their own personal situation vs. the situation in general. This time, it is with education.

- The "my congressman is okay, but all other members of congress are terrible" perception gap has been around for a long time.

- The divergence in how people say they are personally doing economically vs. how they think the economy is overall was a recent trend that started during the pandemic.

- Perceptions of "my child's school" and the "school as a whole" has always had a gap, but the gap got significantly larger during the pandemic.

- 76% of parents think their kids are receiving a quality education and are satisfied with their K-12 schools. But, only 36% of adults think that K-12 schools are generally good.

- Among the extremes (completely satisfied & completely dissatisfied) the gaps are even larger:

Completely satisfied: 35% of parents, 8% of adults overall
Completely dissatisfied: 9% of parents, 25% of adults

Americans are also re-evaluating what they want out of K-12 education. When given a choice of 50 options, people ranked "prepare students to enroll at college or university" 47th.

Instead, the top 5 ranked priorities for K-12 were:

quote:

"Students develop practical skills (e.g. manage personal finances, prepare a meal, make an appointment)"
"Students are able to think critically to problem solve and make decisions"
"Students demonstrate character (e.g. honesty, kindness, integrity, and ethics)"
"Students can demonstrate basic reading, writing, and arithmetic"
"All students receive the unique supports that they need throughout their learning"

This was a large jump in the number of people who wanted schools to teach both "character skills" and non-academic life skills.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1697252308432912592

quote:

Americans en masse are dissatisfied with the country's schools. But parents feel pretty good about their own kids' education.

Why it matters: A divide between parents with first-hand experience of U.S. schools and the rest of the country has gotten worse since the onset of the pandemic and a rise in political polarization.

Schooling has been pushed to the center of Supreme Court decisions, state politics and the 2024 GOP presidential primary.

At the same time, students are performing worse on standardized tests and facing social-emotional challenges.

What's happening: 76% of parents believe their K-12 students are receiving a quality education, according to new data from an annual Gallup survey.

But just 36% of adults overall said they were satisfied with K-12 education in the country.

State of play: Parents have hands-on experience with their kids' education system, said Julie Gorlewski, a professor of learning and instruction at the University at Buffalo.

They can directly speak with teachers, vote for school board members and see the impacts of the lessons.

People tend to give the institutions that they're interacting with directly the benefit of the doubt, she said. School policy is decided at the statewide and district levels, facilitating direct engagement from parents.

"Schools seek to build relationships so that parents have a chance to get to know and trust their children's teachers, paraprofessionals and school leaders," Gorlewski said.
By the numbers: Following a two-decade-long trend, parents as a whole are much more comfortable with the state of K-12 education than adults overall, Gallup found.

Somewhat satisfied: 41% of parents, 28% of adults
Somewhat dissatisfied: 12% of parents, 38% of adults
The intrigue: Satisfaction among adults overall (51%) hit a 15-year high in 2019 but has dropped 15 percentage points since the pandemic and virtual schooling began.

Among parents, satisfaction dipped six points but has remained largely stable.

Zoom in: Public opinion polling typically finds that questions on general categories yield more dismal outlooks than specific cases, said Elizabeth Bell, an assistant professor in policy at the University of Texas at Austin.

Perceptions of Congress as a whole are usually far worse than opinions about a specific representative.

"It's a very different set of belief systems because you're drawing on this sort of personalization, rather than this very depersonalized national political scheme," she said.
Worth noting: American confidence in major U.S. institutions overall has dropped.

Just 36% of Americans said they have confidence in higher education, according to a Gallup poll from July.

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/17/american-education-parenting-k12-framework

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Schools will never teach personal finance. We can't have a generation that actually understands things like tax brackets or compound interest or it will badly damage the predatory finance industry

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1697030052024566096

Just down on the border with my suppressed German gun that was made in Germany , caressing it. ASMR for Nazis.

Remember when owning a Walther pistol was something you were proud about because grandpa took it off a dead nazi

Now grandpa has opinions on which side should have won WW2

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Personal finance for 14 to 18-year olds is kind of a mixed bag. It is taught in some places, but most of the important things are stuff that they won't personally experience for several more years and they have forgotten it. They definitely should at least learn about the concept of tax brackets, even if it is just in a civics class.

I think a home economics/life skills class would cover the "prepare a meal" and "make an appointment" aspects they want taught and would probably be good. I don't know if there is any data on whether that actually benefits people or what type of skills taught in a class like that will actually stick.

The biggest surprising thing is that preparing for college has fallen from the top 10 to almost dead last (47 out of 50).

And that people really want schools to teach "character."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Remember when owning a Walther pistol was something you were proud about because grandpa took it off a dead nazi

Blake Masters just turned 37 two weeks ago.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
How about teaching students to take finances into account when making their choice of higher education?

It's not mandatory to take on $100k+ of student debt to acquire a degree, but then you'd have to manage a life decision instead of doing whatever.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Here's another interesting recent gap in the different perceptions people have about their own personal situation vs. the situation in general. This time, it is with education.

- The "my congressman is okay, but all other members of congress are terrible" perception gap has been around for a long time.

- The divergence in how people say they are personally doing economically vs. how they think the economy is overall was a recent trend that started during the pandemic.

- Perceptions of "my child's school" and the "school as a whole" has always had a gap, but the gap got significantly larger during the pandemic.

- 76% of parents think their kids are receiving a quality education and are satisfied with their K-12 schools. But, only 36% of adults think that K-12 schools are generally good.

- Among the extremes (completely satisfied & completely dissatisfied) the gaps are even larger:

Americans are also re-evaluating what they want out of K-12 education. When given a choice of 50 options, people ranked "prepare students to enroll at college or university" 47th.

Instead, the top 5 ranked priorities for K-12 were:

This was a large jump in the number of people who wanted schools to teach both "character skills" and non-academic life skills.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1697252308432912592

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/17/american-education-parenting-k12-framework

why would people so confidently have an opinion on the quality of K-12 schools in other places?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

why would people so confidently have an opinion on the quality of K-12 schools in other places?

People have confident opinions about all kinds of poo poo they know nothing about

monitor status: off

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Because the nazi had said, "hey you're my best friend, if they get me I want you to take this"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

My town is a beacon unto true America and gets the job done but schools that have black kids in them, they are why my taxes are high and everything bad I think about the public school system.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tatsuta Age posted:

That seems like the least weird thing about the study. Everyone has strong opinions about something happening in places other than where they are.

Part of it might also the study/interview format. They have done a ton of experimenting and people are generally terrified of saying they don't know or have no opinion about something when asked directly about it. It is the basis for a running segment on basically every late night talk show where someone surprises people on the street and asks their opinion on something or tests their knowledge. Large chunks of people would rather say something stupid confidently than admit that they don't know or have no opinion.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Personal finance for 14 to 18-year olds is kind of a mixed bag. It is taught in some places, but most of the important things are stuff that they won't personally experience for several more years and they have forgotten it. They definitely should at least learn about the concept of tax brackets, even if it is just in a civics class.

I think a home economics/life skills class would cover the "prepare a meal" and "make an appointment" aspects they want taught and would probably be good. I don't know if there is any data on whether that actually benefits people or what type of skills taught in a class like that will actually stick.

The biggest surprising thing is that preparing for college has fallen from the top 10 to almost dead last (47 out of 50).

And that people really want schools to teach "character."

As someone who teaches at a community college I can say that schools are definitely not preparing them well for college at all.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That seems like the least weird thing about the study. Everyone has strong opinions about something happening in places other than where they are.

Part of it might also the study/interview format. They have done a ton of experimenting and people are generally terrified of saying they don't know or have no opinion about something when asked directly about it. It is the basis for a running segment on basically every late night talk show where someone surprises people on the street and asks their opinion on something or tests their knowledge. Large chunks of people would rather say something stupid confidently than admit that they don't know or have no opinion.

But also there is a coordinated attack on public education (and really non-parental education in general) by the right. I think most parents who have a day to day relationship with schools are generally fine with it (as the study seems to show). But tons of non-parents who are riled up by Fox News to think our public schools are drag queen filled grooming factories? Man they are up in *arms* currently. (See "Moms For Liberty" who are often filled with people who have kids that are not in the education system - or just don't have kids at all)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AndyBCampbell/status/1697289005845409844

There was a lot of the usual kneejerk cynicism about how accountable the insurrectionists would be in the immediate wake of 1/6, but they are throwing the book at these mfs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

Almost everyone in the US interacts on a daily basis with people who've gone through the K-12 education system. As a result, it tends to reflect general discontent with social trends, especially when it comes to the trends of the younger generations.

Given the above, it shouldn't be shocking to hear that the drop is entirely driven by Republicans, and that their discontent perfectly lines up with various political inflection points.

The first and most obvious thing we see on this chart is that Dem satisfaction has fallen only slightly, while GOP satisfaction with K-12 education has plummeted.

Moreover, the fall was very rapid. In 2020, the GOP was actually more satisfied with K-12 education than Dems were, but their satisfaction dropped from 49% in 2020 to just 25% in 2023. Given the political events of 2021 - Jan 6th, the founding of LibsofTikTok, the MAGA campaign to bring bigotry back to schools, and the general hyper-radicalization of the already-radical Trump wing - it seems likely that those things are related to the decline.

And if you look farther back on the chart, there seems to be some amount of correlation between the GOP's education satisfaction and their political satisfaction. High satisfaction under GOP presidents, mediocre satisfaction under Dem presidents, with the year-to-year satisfaction level getting much more unstable and prone to wild swings in the mid-2010s as the Tea Party transforms into the Freedom Caucus and the MAGA movement.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

zoux posted:

There was a lot of the usual kneejerk cynicism about how accountable the insurrectionists would be in the immediate wake of 1/6, but they are throwing the book at these mfs.

But it's a downward departure from the recommendation from what I saw on the news.

E: Yeah

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/proud-boys-joe-biggs-sentenced_n_64ef3e5de4b0efecbcb97d74?uoh

quote:

Prosecutors sought 33 years in prison for Biggs, recommending 15 years more than the longest sentence handed down in any Jan.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

For all it's many flaws, the justice system in the United States is glacial in both speed and crushing inevitability when it's used right.

With Trump and his co-conspirators we're seeing how the system is supposed to work. He's being afforded every Constitutional Right available and then some but it ain't stopping until the jury renders a verdict.

It's rich watching how many CHUDs are suddenly so interested in how the justice system fucks over poor people now that their boy Trump is in its grasp.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Main Paineframe posted:

Moreover, the fall was very rapid. In 2020, the GOP was actually more satisfied with K-12 education than Dems were, but their satisfaction dropped from 49% in 2020 to just 25% in 2023. Given the political events of 2021 - Jan 6th, the founding of LibsofTikTok, the MAGA campaign to bring bigotry back to schools, and the general hyper-radicalization of the already-radical Trump wing - it seems likely that those things are related to the decline.

Genuinely shocked LIbsofTikTok wasn't founded until 2021, I would have sworn it was a mid to late Trump presidency creation about how The Storm Was Coming.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

shimmy shimmy posted:

Genuinely shocked LIbsofTikTok wasn't founded until 2021, I would have sworn it was a mid to late Trump presidency creation about how The Storm Was Coming.

And that's it's run by a youngish orthodox Jewish woman in New York City, who should probably look into what the rabid right wingers who follow her content think about her ethnicity.

Candidate quality matters.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 31, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

And that's it's run by a youngish orthodox Jewish woman in New York City, who should probably look into what the rabid right wingers who follow her content think about her ethnicity.

Flashbacks to what Laura Loomer got a taste of when she went to whichever nazi Twitter was popular at the time

Lucky for her now the Nazi Twitter is Twitter i guess

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

zoux posted:

Trump Legal Thread has more of the detail, but this outcome was from a pretty merciful judge who blanched at enforcing the terrorism enhancement he felt compelled to add:

https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697256479458549786
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697261424593285613
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697261924470358165
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697262240922325242

His reluctance to actually enforce the enhancement was telegraphed at the Tuesday hearing where he expressed some reluctance at being forced to apply the enhancement to this conduct, those statements echoed today:
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697288768565150088
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697289056684544255
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1697289392627302619

It doesn't quite reach the defense's 'your honor, it can't be terrorism, they're white christians' (light paraphrase) argument, but goes further down the spectrum than is justified.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nah, you were always disappointed the dead nazi was carrying a P38 instead of the iconic Luger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, you were always disappointed the dead nazi was carrying a P38 instead of the iconic Luger.

Only a 10% drop rate according to the loot table.