Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I got one of the classic email exchanges today.

"Is this new hire's last name spelled Smith or Smyth?"
"Yes".

It's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Knormal posted:

I got one of the classic email exchanges today.

"Is this new hire's last name spelled Smith or Smyth?"
"Yes".

It's been a while.

Welcome to the company, your email is john.smithorsmyth@company.biz

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Perennial "why are tech recruiters complete bags of poo poo?" post.

So many messages I get tell me you didn't actually read my profile without saying you didn't read my profile.

Just a touch of loving effort, people, seriously.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, I had one of those a few days ago. Kept asking me basic poo poo that's on my LinkedIn for so long that my phone ran out of battery mid-call. Sucks to be him I guess?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AlexDeGruven posted:

So many messages I get tell me you didn't actually read my profile without saying you didn't read my profile.

How bad would it be if I asked them if they read my profile?

I stopped posting about every time a recruiter reached out to me for the job I already have because it happens on a near weekly basis at this point and it's not funny anymore.

Usually I ignore them but I'm starting to get really annoyed.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I keep getting people trying to get me to apply for on-site helldesk jobs halfway across the continent for $17/hr

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

chin up everything sucks posted:

I keep getting people trying to get me to apply for on-site helldesk jobs halfway across the continent for $17/hr
I love the username + post combo

and yeah its why I dont even use LinkedIn or have any desire to look for a job, because it sounds like hell on earth.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, I had one of those a few days ago. Kept asking me basic poo poo that's on my LinkedIn for so long that my phone ran out of battery mid-call. Sucks to be him I guess?

They always ask for a call which prompts an immediate lolfuckoff.

In this case it was a "field support technician" that's required to sell their own billable hours. How about a double lolfuckoff? Putting aside the fact that my last end user facing role ended 20+ years ago, there is no way in hell I'm acting as my own salesman for poo poo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I love the username + post combo

and yeah its why I dont even use LinkedIn or have any desire to look for a job, because it sounds like hell on earth.

recruitinghell and antiwork are goldmines for LinkedIn and other job searching horror stories and almost make it worth using reddit now and then.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 24, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlexDeGruven posted:

They always ask for a call which prompts an immediate lolfuckoff.
I'm always available for a call. During work hours. Sure I'll let someone pay me to talk to you about a better job, why wouldn't I? I also give them my Irish number even though I'm living in the UK, because apart from the wonky signal in the area it's a real quick filter that some of them fail to pass.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A while ago I got a random attempt to get me to do some sort of inventory / sales analysis poo poo in the convenience store sector because I have never updated my linkedin since then and I was like thank you but no thank you I don't work in that sector anymore

left unsaid was that I would rather die than work in that sector again

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm always available for a call. During work hours. Sure I'll let someone pay me to talk to you about a better job, why wouldn't I? I also give them my Irish number even though I'm living in the UK, because apart from the wonky signal in the area it's a real quick filter that some of them fail to pass.

My original helldesk experience has sworn me off of cold calls. Even when I'm expecting a call, I don't answer a number I don't recognize or have saved. I get what you're saying, though. Wasting their time is never a bad plan.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlexDeGruven posted:

My original helldesk experience has sworn me off of cold calls. Even when I'm expecting a call, I don't answer a number I don't recognize or have saved. I get what you're saying, though. Wasting their time is never a bad plan.
My time in Xbox support left me knowing how to manipulate people more than anyone should need to, so I like to take random calls from scammers etc and just talk to them for as long as they'll let me. I've heard one guy's boss threathen to fire him if he didn't hang up straight away. Good times.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I tried that too once, but after 10-15 minutes I started to feel bad for the poor lady in India. :(

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I tried that too once, but after 10-15 minutes I started to feel bad for the poor lady in India. :(

She's actively participating in a scam. gently caress her.

Any scammer's time you waste is a moral good. You're keeping them from scamming someone else.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Either the scammers I get are based in the UK or their English accents are spectacular.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Wibla posted:

They decommissioned the copper network in Norway not long ago.

A lot of places are now on 4G/5G bullshit and that's hardly a proper replacement.

old post, but gently caress telenor

i hate their fear mongering commercials and astroturfing campaigns, god damnit what poo poo company they became after they went private

i feel really sorry for those who didn't get altibox fiber or equivalent in time

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

Perennial "why are tech recruiters complete bags of poo poo?" post.

Just a touch of loving effort, people, seriously.

Because there is no downside to them just shotgunning messages out, and they probably report to their managers on "how many candidates they contacted about potential jobs" or some other bullshit metric.

One recent morning in the space of approx an hour and a half I got twelve different recruiters hitting me up about the same job.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Second interview down :ohdear:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Wizard of the Deep posted:

She's actively participating in a scam. gently caress her.

Any scammer's time you waste is a moral good. You're keeping them from scamming someone else.

I just ask them in a very sad voice how they would feel if someone scammed their mum like this and don't they feel guilty? The result are about half and half immediately putting the phone down on me vs trying "ma'am this is not a scam" ("no dear, we both know it is") then putting the phone down.

Having a nice middle-aged lady voice is useful sometimes. I like to think I've shamed some of them into getting other jobs, or at least given them guilty night thoughts...

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

A Frosty Witch posted:

Second interview down :ohdear:

We're all pulling for you! Stay frosty.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
An email came in:

quote:

Hey, can you do [simple change]? We are trying to accomplish [similar-sounding but ultimately unrelated thing].

I reply:

quote:

I'm not sure that will help, since [unrelated thing] wouldn't actually be affected by [simple change]. Can you tell me more about what you're trying to do and I can help find a better solution?

They respond:

quote:

This is the solution that we have already decided on. Please make the change.

Okey-fuckin'-dokey then!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's going to be CYA material in a short while I think

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Change request rejected. Reason: insufficient justification.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Yes, sounds like your standard XY problem

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Today, FB reminded me that five years ago our O365 tenant had licensing issues due to our reseller. IIRC they had been selling us edu sku and skimming the difference, and an audit from MS disabled about 85% of our licenses. That was a 'fun' day.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

kensei posted:

Today, FB reminded me that five years ago our O365 tenant had licensing issues due to our reseller. IIRC they had been selling us edu sku and skimming the difference, and an audit from MS disabled about 85% of our licenses. That was a 'fun' day.

Oof! How did that play out?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hughmoris posted:

Oof! How did that play out?

We proved that we had been paying for the correct licenses, MS reinstated us and we fired that reseller.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

that wonderful feeling when your backup works perfectly and you get to watch a dumpster fire instead of being in the dumpster yourself :allears:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shugojin posted:

that wonderful feeling when your backup works perfectly and you get to watch a dumpster fire instead of being in the dumpster yourself :allears:

not unrelated, our org-wide code signing cert expires in 6 hours

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Fool posted:

not unrelated, our org-wide code signing cert expires in 6 hours

Here's to hoping there isn't a follow up to this later tonight.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

3 of my coworkers use LastPass :(

When told about the breach, consensus was "Happens to everyone eventually!" with a "I use really strong passwords"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Here's to hoping there isn't a follow up to this later tonight.

We ended up building and deploying an entirely new code signing workflow yesterday, and today is being spent making sure the various app teams are able to change their processes to match.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The dumpster fire I'm watching had accelerant thrown on it but it's finally finishing lol

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Shugojin posted:

The dumpster fire I'm watching had accelerant thrown on it but it's finally finishing lol

Put ten guys in a line and give them each a case of beer and that fire will be out in no time!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Shugojin posted:

Dedipath?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/16696sa/dedipath_goes_out_of_business_gives_clients_less/

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Lumen, they've had a comically horrible (about to be 54 hours down) time fixing a fiber cut that's relevant to me

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dandywalken posted:

3 of my coworkers use LastPass :(

When told about the breach, consensus was "Happens to everyone eventually!" with a "I use really strong passwords"

Speaking of stuff like this, whatever happened with the TrueCrypt thing? It seemed like the original creators disavowed the project in a way that strongly implied it had been compromised somehow but there were investigations and no one ever really found anything?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

Lumen, they've had a comically horrible (about to be 54 hours down) time fixing a fiber cut that's relevant to me

We have a Lumen circuit that has spent about 30% of the time the last two months being down. It feels like there is a excavator assigned to this particular fiber. I get so many alerts about it, I had to adjust my DND window on my phone because it kept waking me up.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

:bravo:

(LAPS creds that are on a week cycle but just so happened to expire today)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

CitizenKain posted:

We have a Lumen circuit that has spent about 30% of the time the last two months being down. It feels like there is a excavator assigned to this particular fiber. I get so many alerts about it, I had to adjust my DND window on my phone because it kept waking me up.

It's probably just a very hungry little excavator trying to grow up to be a big and tall Killdozer! You're donations of fibre will be remembered warmly. Who knows, it might save you from the purge when Killdozer returns!

Things I don't miss from a previous job: a flakey mpls link that flapped randomly every other night waking me up from alerts :D