Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
not surprised this sterile looking game is being described by reviewers as a sterile looking, unoriginal game

will still play it, hell I play AC games, this can't be worse than those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I haven’t been following previews at all, can I play as a 40k ork?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orv posted:

But that sounds slightly more annoying. Oh well, fair enough.

Honestly you can ignore it for 95% of the game. There are a couple of missions which are like "Get a non-poo poo hyperdrive you moron" but you'll be given multiple free ships via questing so it isn't a big deal.

Good Citizen posted:

I haven’t been following previews at all, can I play as a 40k ork?

No, humans only. The only aliens they've discovered are animals/monsters.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

i'm not mousing over black bars, but i am very curious wtf you're all taking about (wrt NG+).

from what I understand, there are [GAME FEATURES] that you get through the main story, but they are limited. You can enhance/upgrade [GAME FEATURES] only in NG+

going to NG+ will wipe all your outposts and faction progress, but let you keep your character's level and stuff. If you are interested in [GAME FEATURES], youre put in an awkward position where its better to blast through the game and get into NG+ as quickly as possible, rather than spend a bunch of time in side activities that will get wiped anyways

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Ms Adequate posted:

* Personally I think Oblivion and Fallout 3 are pretty overrated, literally in that their review scores are higher than I would give them, but that's largely irrelevant for the points we're making here

To be fair, at the times they were released I was a big fan of both Oblivion and FO3 and there was little competition for their niches. If I reassessed them today I'd be considerably harsher, but back then I'd have gone along with them having 9s.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Azhais posted:

You might want to try that without your mods installed, they've all been nevernude.

I'm sure Starfield will have a CBBE or something soon enough

A. I may have worded that poorly because I was asking if, like other BGS games, it was never-nude undies only.
B. I absolutely install nude mods in every BGS game because of my IMMERSION

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly you can ignore it for 95% of the game. There are a couple of missions which are like "Get a non-poo poo hyperdrive you moron" but you'll be given multiple free ships via questing so it isn't a big deal.

Since you've been playing it, can you spoiler tag what NG+ is all about exactly?

Either that or send me a DM. Just let me know why a lot of reviewers would be recommending to rush to NG+

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just as an aside, MATN (and presumably the other UK people) did finally get codes. He's 10 minutes into his livestream

https://www.youtube.com/@ManyATrueNerd

Azhais fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 31, 2023

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Ms Adequate posted:

In fairness the impact of Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 as consecutive releases sets the bar incredibly high for Bethesda. They all average high 80s to mid 90s. Their real dud was Fallout 76 but I hear they eventually managed to even get that up to a pretty good state? And it was easy to dismiss that as either Zenimax's fault or them fumbling because they were doing something very different from their usual, single player stuff. Anyway point being by any reasonable measure Starfield's review scores are very strong and it's not exactly a devastating condemnation that Starfield doesn't match up to the highest rated PC game ever made. The more interesting thing, to me, is the actual specifics of the criticisms. I'm seeing some genuine and thoughtful ones, much revolving around shortcomings in exploration and how closely it measures up to the impressions given by Todd and Pete, but I'm also seeing some really weirdly gleeful stuff that's just happy in its belief that people excited for the game are, they believe, going to be sorely disappointed. For my part I'm wondering to what extent ship customization makes a difference, because it seems like it doesn't play much role in like, scanning and stuff, and serves no function for supporting your exploration range or anything? I'll be okay if it's combat and cosmetics but I was kinda hoping for more depth there, like you could make a dedicated ultra-long-range exploration cruiser that could sustain you going to the farthest stars on the map and powerfully explore the planets there.

* Personally I think Oblivion and Fallout 3 are pretty overrated, literally in that their review scores are higher than I would give them, but that's largely irrelevant for the points we're making here

I agree. I was more commenting on the annoying console warriors I'm seeing on social media. It definitely does seem like there will be a decent amount of disappointment around what you're not able to do especially in regards to exploration, which is understandable given the amount of hype Todd and co played up for marketing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah that makes sense, thanks.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Kaddish posted:

A. I may have worded that poorly because I was asking if, like other BGS games, it was never-nude undies only.

:kstare:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

some people get aroused by action figures, i don't judge

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I faced a lot of backlash pre-release in the BG3 thread for suggesting it was weird that people in that thread were so excited to look at their videogame characters naked and watch them have sex, the times have changed and the Skyrim Nude Modders won.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Kaddish posted:

Okay but what do you wear when you are playing it?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Fuckin terrible that VASCO isn’t rolling with a set of truck nuts hanging free

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Kink-shaming posters in the Starfield thread as I install my 10GB mod that allows me to makeout with my ship.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So many of these scores at all these companies were given out by different regimes with different EICs and different reviewers and different scoring systems and opinions on what a specific score means.

Please for the love of God read a review vs putting literally any stock into a number good or bad.

Metacritic/Opencritc are so dumb and useless for learning anything about a game.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Kaddish posted:

Oh word?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I faced a lot of backlash pre-release in the BG3 thread for suggesting it was weird that people in that thread were so excited to look at their videogame characters naked and watch them have sex, the times have changed and the Skyrim Nude Modders won.

GTA San Andreas hot coffee walked so that Nudity and sex in all games could run

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

This is going to sound horny but is there any nudity at all? Like can you not take off your undies like previous scrolls likes? That would be a little surprising considering other modern games.

My ship is going to be naked all the time

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Is third person mode any good?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ImpAtom posted:

Not really. You can get all the powers in one run (I think? I missed one until my NG+ but I think that is just because I didn't bother to go back and get it.) The upgraded powers are just stronger/longer lasting versions of existing powers.

One question I have about this : does it matter for your NG+ run? i.e. can you only upgrade the stuff you unlocked in NG, or is it just "get to NG+, then you have access to everything"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

External Organs posted:

Is third person mode any good?

It's okay? Not great, not terrible, but due to the cramped quarters of spaceships and stuff I tended to stay in first person anyway.

K8.0 posted:

One question I have about this : does it matter for your NG+ run? i.e. can you only upgrade the stuff you unlocked in NG, or is it just "get to NG+, then you have access to everything"?

The former. If you don't have a power then you just get it instead of an upgrade.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cr0y posted:

Okay but what do you wear when you are playing it?

Darling little rhinestone pumps

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
wouldn't nude mods imply everyone in the world is going commando? not very immersive imo

Orv
May 4, 2011

runaway dog posted:

wouldn't nude mods imply everyone in the world is going commando? not very immersive imo

The mandatory five hour cutscene of getting into your spacesuit each time you boot the game will explain it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wait, so the NG+ upgrades are just bigger numbers? They don't actually have any mechanical or visual changes at all, they just do more of what they already did?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
You guys are all wrong, NG+ takes the form of your character being reborn out of an alien creature's rear end like Ace Ventura.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You don’t need underwear in the future

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

There would be no need for underware in a world where bidets are common

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

MarcusSA posted:

You don’t need underwear in the future

WRONG. Sentient AI underwear is the only thing WITH a future.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

runaway dog posted:

The people in Bethesda's fallout games can't even figure out how saw lumber, you expect them to know how to sew underpants?

Hell, fallout 3 has an entire quest chain devoted to finding 200 year old lingerie

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Are there toilets in the game?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They would be called heads I think

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I can think of a dozen bad reasons to have a NG+ like that, but I'm really baking my noodle trying to think of any good reasons

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ImpAtom posted:

The former. If you don't have a power then you just get it instead of an upgrade.

So then it's probably a good idea to look at a wiki for that specifically before doing the endgame, to make sure you have them all?

Honestly sounds pretty dumb, but I bet it's something Bethesda addresses in one of the DLCs two years from now after it's annoyed the hell out of everyone.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Looks like no new Nvidia driver today, a little surprising despite the AMD partnership.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ImpAtom posted:

Wait does this mean you have to go to NG++ and +++ etc to keep upgrading them?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Looks like no new Nvidia driver today, a little surprising despite the AMD partnership.

The last one was already listed as meant for Starfield but I dunno how much it actually does, because graphics card drivers are an endless carnival of suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Wait does this mean you have to go to NG++ and +++ etc to keep upgrading them?

Honest answer is I don't know. It seems possible but I have to imagine there is some kind of limit.

K8.0 posted:

So then it's probably a good idea to look at a wiki for that specifically before doing the endgame, to make sure you have them all?

Honestly sounds pretty dumb, but I bet it's something Bethesda addresses in one of the DLCs two years from now after it's annoyed the hell out of everyone.

The menu for them has an open slot for each, you'll know if you have them all or not.