Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

oof I called it

While funny, I do feel some sympathy for this dude bc I feel it is a massively cowardly act to fire this dork when LMG's m.o., for a year now, seems to be to not mention steve or his channel by name anymore. They just needed a scapegoat and they took the easiest one.

I only watch LMG sporadically and only for the last few months. Who is this guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mokotow posted:

I only watch LMG sporadically and only for the last few months. Who is this guy?

he was the guy who made the off-hand comment that they can re-run all their tests as a potshot at GN and HUB, which some people take as a sort of inciting incident for Steve to have made his first video about LMG (which it isn't, really)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

he was the guy who made the off-hand comment that they can re-run all their tests as a potshot at GN and HUB, which some people take as a sort of inciting incident for Steve to have made his first video about LMG (which it isn't, really)

It might have accelerated events slightly but that trigger was already getting pulled.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Just Another Lurker posted:

It might have accelerated events slightly but that trigger was already getting pulled.

It definitely added to the public embarrassment factor for LTT -- not only were they loving up their tests, but they seemed to think they were better than everyone else.

Firing that guy is pretty loving cringe though. Especially when Alex is saying they got zero training or preparation for "linus tech expo 2023" where they're all expected to be doing loving tours for fans.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Aprime said on Reddit that he encouraged Madison to speak up about abuse while she was still working there.

How many people knew?? That's the third former employee now that has confirmed they knew at the time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yeah. After Ian Cutress, doctor of philosophy in chemistry from oxford university, published his 90 minute video, Linus stan's have all latched on to his critiques of Steve's video and have completely dismissed GN as upstart jealous bullies.

People can bitch and moan online all they want, but numbers don't lie. Floatplane had a minor dead cat bounces to 35500 when LTT started uploading videos again, but it's started to fall again. They've got back maybe 150 subscribers at this point.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

How many people knew??
They, mostly, work in one building.

They all know.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Linus firing someone for making an offhand incendiary comment on Youtube. :discourse:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUeZQ3pky-w

Steve spending months of work and $10k on arguing with YouTube commenters. Kinda relatable, tbh

"we actually have Friday benchmark parties where we stare at the GTA V benchmark loop run for 95 minutes"
is... he throwing shade on Linus again? lmao

where's the ANOVA R&R studies for your benchmarks Steve, voted 1 absolutely worthless

but seriously lol this is a good video

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

BurritoJustice posted:

Aprime said on Reddit that he encouraged Madison to speak up about abuse while she was still working there.

How many people knew?? That's the third former employee now that has confirmed they knew at the time.

It should also be noted that he's telling people to lay off James Strieb, which probably means that James had much less to do with what happened with Madison than people have been speculating. Like he's still part of the management structure that failed to handle things properly, but we should be hesitant to say more than that without further evidence.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shipon posted:

where's the ANOVA R&R studies for your benchmarks Steve, voted 1 absolutely worthless

The internet: I like GN but it can veer into chart gore

Steve: Chart gore? Hold my beer.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gao posted:

It should also be noted that he's telling people to lay off James Strieb, which probably means that James had much less to do with what happened with Madison than people have been speculating. Like he's still part of the management structure that failed to handle things properly, but we should be hesitant to say more than that without further evidence.

Lol the full quote was "can't say I was a fan, but can you all lay off James". Removes the heat, definitely, but not the most positive statement about the bloke in general.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Gao posted:

IIRC, his comments were in regards to someone asking him about a crappy video that James subsequently blamed on poor editing. His response was something along the lines of "Not a fan, but can you guys please lay off James". I'm not quite sure whether that was in regards to his not being a fan of James in general, or of James blaming the editing of whatever video it was; and whether he meant "lay off James" in terms of him being the person that harassed Madison, or in terms of bitching at him about whatever video they're referring to.

E: here's the specific text:

quote:

mornando
7h
Did Jame's explanation for the missing visuals amendments in the acknowledgement video have anything to do with you leaving? He kind of implied it was editing's fault.

u/Aprime_MOV avatar
Aprime_MOV
Aprime
7h
Can't say I was a fan but can you all stop it with James?

u/mornando avatar
mornando
7h
Thanks for the insight. Sorry didn't mean to create any drama. Your tech upgrade was great! All the best with your future endeavours

This was all part of a reddit thread that was seemingly initially about Madison's allegations, but the initial post got removed, so make of it what you will.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 31, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shipon posted:

Yeah I'm glad they did it.

I think everyone with any experience "knew" intuitively that there wasn't much variance between individual units but it's good to have some actual experimental data. Otherwise everyone in the tech reviewer sector was working entirely by assuming this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It was also funny how Derbauer did the same thing with fewer CPUs and Steve went and bought more to one-up him.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Khablam posted:

They, mostly, work in one building.

They all know.
They have shuffled a lot recently. The Labs warehouse also has a rather decent (if I remember right) office section. They moved logistics there, I think their merchandise creators are also there, as is the office for Linus. The "base" office is mostly for the sets and their writers.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

drat it, Tech Jesus - you were so close (unless I missed something?)!

Since they go through all this trouble, they should at least bring up confidence intervals and what they're targeting, even if they don't show us.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The internet: I like GN but it can veer into chart gore

Steve: Chart gore? Hold my beer.
Me: Not enough charts! MORE CHARTS! *stamps feet, bangs fists*

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

:thanks:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Per the GN Discord they're all already sold out. Apparently they lasted all of 14 minutes.

Would have been sweet to have a GN processor to pair with my LTT graphics card (I needed a card and they were hard to get in 2020)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Steve needs to hire Tim, train him properly in the dark benchmarking arts, and then co-dunk on LTT Labs with him in GN videos to see if it's possible to give Linus an aneurysm.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Steve needs to hire Tim, train him properly in the dark benchmarking arts, and then co-dunk on LTT Labs with him in GN videos to see if it's possible to give Linus an aneurysm.

Then fire him again

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
You people want the worst version of tech youtube.

Yeah I'd watch it

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

Then fire him again

code:
                           / pls steve, no

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
He was fired for sticking his head in the shine-o ball-o (again)

I’m also bald so I am allowed to make this joke

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Is the Connections Museum on topic for this thread? They recently got a new telephone switch in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrviyMrHLYw

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I'm assuming that video views = $$$. I wonder if LMG is still going to target the same volume of content they churn out after this or if they actually will dial it down. If they do upload less, laying people off makes sense since less content means less revenue, which means less money to spend on staff.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

whiskas posted:

I'm assuming that video views = $$$. I wonder if LMG is still going to target the same volume of content they churn out after this or if they actually will dial it down. If they do upload less, laying people off makes sense since less content means less revenue, which means less money to spend on staff.

never forget the small business mindset that raising prices will mean lost business which means we can't change how things are to improve working conditions (either by paying more or taking on less work) and just absolutely imploding in 3-5 years of razor thin margins.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

whiskas posted:

The average global ad revenue figure on YouTube is about $4 per 1000 views, so, yeah. Big money from uploading dipshit low effort content every day and getting a million ad impressions from it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lmao

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kazinsal posted:

The average global ad revenue figure on YouTube is about $4 per 1000 views, so, yeah. Big money from uploading dipshit low effort content every day and getting a million ad impressions from it.

I mean, not really. That's only $4k for our hypothetical 1 million view video, and if you do that every day for a year you'll pull $1.46 million. Which would be a ton if it was just you or me making some dumb youtube poo poo post every day and getting 4 grand for it, but if you're a business with a bunch of people on staff that's not a ton.

I wonder what their revenue streams are at this point? I'm going to guess they get a sweetheart deal from Google for basically being YT royalty, but even with that they've got to be at the point where direct sponsorships, merch sales, and whatever else that I'm not thinking of is their actual bread and butter.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Every youtuber I've seen comment on it says merch is way out in first (if they're big enough to have any), sponsorships second, and actual youtube revenue is nice but dwarfed by the other two.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, not really. That's only $4k for our hypothetical 1 million view video, and if you do that every day for a year you'll pull $1.46 million. Which would be a ton if it was just you or me making some dumb youtube poo poo post every day and getting 4 grand for it, but if you're a business with a bunch of people on staff that's not a ton.

I wonder what their revenue streams are at this point? I'm going to guess they get a sweetheart deal from Google for basically being YT royalty, but even with that they've got to be at the point where direct sponsorships, merch sales, and whatever else that I'm not thinking of is their actual bread and butter.

The problem with guessing figures for YouTube ad revenue is the variance by country and by content category. Since it's tech it could be more, or less depending on how YouTube classifies what types of ad they're running. "Online Marketing" is worth more than "Entertainment", for example, and we don't know what kind of category LTT videos fall under. You have to massively undershoot the figure when estimating YouTube ad revenue because of the black box.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

A few years ago, woodworking CPM in the USA was more like $11-13. I don't think Linus's coterie of nerds is gonna pull that much, but they probably do way better than $4 all-in when whatever risers and kickbacks that keep them on YouTube are factored in.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Cyrano4747 posted:

Google has given them the ability to completely change a video and upload it in place, without losing views, title, thumbnail, any of that. Steve brought it up in his video. So they certainly have some perks.

I want to say Linus said that their merchandise did out-do all other sources of income at some point last/early this year. I don't remember if it was for that month, over a period, or what. And whether that was before or after their costs to make the stuff, I don't know if he broke it down that much.

He had also said some of the sponsor deals were "six figures". That got brought up when they dropped Anker (again, if I remember right).

They have mentioned that they have done in-house videos for companies before (pretty sure Intel was one), and I think even stuff for local businesses. I think they have also hired out their editors before. I wouldn't think that one though would be a huge revenue stream for what they were talking about though.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1486918784401088515

Here's the numbers from 2021.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Does that not include commercials for other companies, or is that in there? I thought it was a big part of their revenue but I guess not?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Does that not include commercials for other companies, or is that in there? I thought it was a big part of their revenue but I guess not?

In-video sponsor spots and sponsored projects likely cover that and make up 35% of revenue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

power crystals posted:

Every youtuber I've seen comment on it says merch is way out in first (if they're big enough to have any), sponsorships second, and actual youtube revenue is nice but dwarfed by the other two.

This, and/or you have a Patreon or donation scheme

Goal #1 for savvy channels that get past the “monetized on YouTube” stage is to become editorially independent from Ads as quickly as possible, to get to where you can release whatever you want and have videos get demonetized or copyright struck with some degree of regularity and it doesn’t wreck your financials for that month

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah like Cathode Ray Dude or LGR both are completely Patreon supported channels with Google ad money as a little bonus at the side. MichaelMJD on the other hand has mentioned before that Adsense is his primary revenue source from Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Koskun posted:

He had also said some of the sponsor deals were "six figures". That got brought up when they dropped Anker (again, if I remember right).

LTT dropped anker as a sponsor? What’s going on there?

I like anker stuff but I hadn’t heard if there was something to be aware of