Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) is transported on big ships. It is highly compressed natural gas, so compressed that it turns in to a liquid form. It is a parallel flow to any pipelines.

It requires a fair amount of equipment and capacity to process and transport, so Russia's ability to convert flows is limited. The volumes are growing but small. 22 million cubic meters compares to over 150 billion cubic meters of pipeline gas from Russia in 2021.

Funny thing about LNG, the gas in pipelines is also liquid. And it takes (basically) the same equipment to transport it down the pipeline that it takes to put it on the ship, minus the dock, connections,etc. Still have to pig the pipe to remove the ice and other contaminants in each situations to transport the product to the final destination... Blah blah blah. It's the same product, just much less efficiently transported. And I doubt the major petrochemical tech companies are helping right now, and that stuff is propitary, expensive, comes with technicians to work it, and, etc. It's a drop in the bucket that either will reduce over time as the pipelines aren't maintained, or reduces on overall profit. C'est la vie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Antigravitas posted:

Anders Puck Nielsen on Prigozhin's death and how Russia's propaganda approach has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXaEYZbUQhU
Russia informed Brazil that it would not be investigating the crash of Prigozhin's plane "at this moment" as it's "not the appropriate time".

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

SpannerX posted:

Funny thing about LNG, the gas in pipelines is also liquid. And it takes (basically) the same equipment to transport it down the pipeline that it takes to put it on the ship, minus the dock, connections,etc. Still have to pig the pipe to remove the ice and other contaminants in each situations to transport the product to the final destination... Blah blah blah. It's the same product, just much less efficiently transported. And I doubt the major petrochemical tech companies are helping right now, and that stuff is propitary, expensive, comes with technicians to work it, and, etc. It's a drop in the bucket that either will reduce over time as the pipelines aren't maintained, or reduces on overall profit. C'est la vie.
This is just not true.

Natural gas in a pipeline is transported as a compressed gas. The equipment needed to create and transport LNG is completely different. There is a reason Germany invested a lot of effort in order to quickly get regassification ships off our coasts. Those are ships that take the LNG, regassify it and then pump it into the national and international natural gas pipeline infrastructure.

Hell there was a big blow up last year, because Spain and France couldn't agree to expand the interconnections between their respective natural gas pipeline grids, as Spain and Portugal have a large surplus of LNG regassification capacity.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Failed Imagineer posted:

Gotta love the historical irony of thousands of years of warfare tech culminating in a flying cardboard box

war is logistics by other means

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

SpannerX posted:

I think you are confusing Natural Gas Liquids (ethane+) with Liquified Natural Gas (methane) Outside of LNG export/import plants, no pipes are transporting LNG. In theory you probably could, but why go through all that effort when you can just send it as a gas at ambient temperature?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 43 hours!)

Not to be too pedantic, but CNG is usually a supercritical fluid, Nordstream pumped it at 220 bar for example, well above the critical point.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

May Ukraine's Australian Flying Exploding Pizza Boxes blot out the sun.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Spend $75,000,000 on a fighter jet that can't bomb Moscow, or $750 on a cardboard plane which has literally bombed Moscow

Reality continues to be stranger than fiction. Tom Clancy's skeleton continues to spin ever faster.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did you pay for transit? If not, then there’s some pretty drat obvious reasons that there aren’t 4m ukrainians in the US atm

Did I pay to transfer 50k Ukrainian refugees into my country? Yes, I'm a relatively high-earning taxpayer so I suppose I did.

What point are you failing to make there, exactly?

The US military is unquestionably the world's most effective organisation for efficiently moving huge numbers of humans. 4m Ukrainians wouldn't be trivial, but it would be a wartime project commensurate with the current proxy war the US is engaged in, and it would give the US some sort of moral standing to critique the actions of other nation-states who are actually the ones grappling domestically with the externalities of this crisis.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Huh. You can still take a bus from Kyiv to Moscow

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/21123

quote:

A seat on the bus costs $350 in cash, handed over on the day to a typically grim-faced bus driver. Passengers can depart from 16 cities in Ukraine, including occupied Luhansk. From Kyiv, the bus picks up passengers bound for Moscow every three days. A bus also leaves from Moscow with passengers bound for Kyiv every three days. With fierce fighting raging along Ukraine’s border with Russia to the east, the route to Moscow is circuitous. Today’s bus was to head west to Poland where passengers were to transfer to at least one more bus, equally unremarkable, and continue their journey through Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia – all the way to Moscow.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Orthanc6 posted:

Spend $75,000,000 on a fighter jet that can't bomb Moscow, or $750 on a cardboard plane which has literally bombed Moscow

Reality continues to be stranger than fiction. Tom Clancy's skeleton continues to spin ever faster.

Tom Clancy was surprisingly bullish on Russia towards the end. A big plot point of one of his later books has Russia joining NATO (lmao) in the face of a Chinese invasion of Siberia.

Now Dale Brown, the other trash military thriller writer that I read way too much of, couldn't let go of the Cold War and every other book had a new nationalist general coup-ing the government and unleashing a modern military (lol) on the West.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chalks posted:

Some interesting info on them here:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1697264558019358760

I guess being invisible to radar would be due to the cardboard? A neat side effect of their low cost design

Any time you see an article saying that some common cheap old material like cardboard or wood is “invisible to radar,” it is not true.

Radar can detect and range:
Metal
Rain
Birds
Wood
Balloons
Clouds
Drones
etc.

It’s usually more about how and where something cheap flies or what radar they are specifically referencing than the miracle of wood and cardboard.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Americans spent trillions developing stealth materials at their top secret space age facilities

The Ukrainians just used paper

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

mlmp08 posted:

Any time you see an article saying that some common cheap old material like cardboard or wood is “invisible to radar,” it is not true.

Radar can detect and range:
Metal
Rain
Birds
Wood
Balloons
Clouds
Drones
etc.

It’s usually more about how and where something cheap flies or what radar they are specifically referencing than the miracle of wood and cardboard.
But if your stealth fighter had the radar signature of a pizza box you’d be pretty happy.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Americans spent trillions developing stealth materials at their top secret space age facilities

The Ukrainians just used paper

I imagine the size and speed of the paper drones is helping more than the materials. There must be some sort of filter for what is notable on the AA radars. It wouldn't be helpful if every eagle set off the alarm. That is until this drone war kicked off. The next gen of AA is going to need advanced, probably AI assisted filters to try and determine what is a tiny drone and what is a bird. But lol at Russia getting anything like that within the decade.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Oh god, Mike Sparks has become the broken clock.

CB-M113 PaperGavin flying in

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Artificial Kid posted:

But if your stealth fighter had the radar signature of a pizza box you’d be pretty happy.

Supposedly when they introduced the F-117, people at Lockhart bragged that it didn't have the signature of a small plane, it didn't have the signature of an eagle; it had the signature of the eagle's eyeball

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Supposedly when they introduced the F-117, people at Lockhart bragged that it didn't have the signature of a small plane, it didn't have the signature of an eagle; it had the signature of the eagle's eyeball

When they tested the prototype against radar, they found that it had a smaller radar cross-section than a 3/8 inch ball bearing. So after that, whenever Ben Rich (leader of skunk works) was anywhere with Air Force notables, he made sure to have some of the appropriate ball bearings in his pockets. You know, just to help drive the point home with props.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Slovakia is heading for general election in September, and it seems it's going to have negative repercussions for their future Ukraine support. The frontrunner, albeit by a slim margin, is Robert Fico, a pro-Russian demagogue who has pledged not to send a single round of ammunition to Ukraine, and in addition to that today there was a report that 30% of Slovaks would be ok with returning under Russian sphere of influence. Pretty crazy stuff.

https://www.novinky.cz/clanek/zahranicni-evropa-stale-vice-slovaku-by-si-pralo-patrit-do-sfery-ruskeho-vlivu-40442209

This is insane. Most of the people getting rekt by the Soviet order aren't even dead yet!?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Failed Imagineer posted:

Gotta love the historical irony of thousands of years of warfare tech culminating in a flying cardboard box

Once again Hideo Kojima predicted the future.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Once again Hideo Kojima predicted the future.

Kojima is surprisingly very precognizant of such things.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Slovakia is heading for general election in September, and it seems it's going to have negative repercussions for their future Ukraine support. The frontrunner, albeit by a slim margin, is Robert Fico, a pro-Russian demagogue who has pledged not to send a single round of ammunition to Ukraine, and in addition to that today there was a report that 30% of Slovaks would be ok with returning under Russian sphere of influence. Pretty crazy stuff.

https://www.novinky.cz/clanek/zahranicni-evropa-stale-vice-slovaku-by-si-pralo-patrit-do-sfery-ruskeho-vlivu-40442209

What being landlocked does to a motherfucker.

Just noticed that this whole bloc of Russian-leaning governments are basically located next to one another, centered around Viktor Orban's Hungary.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I'm out mowing my lawn in russia thinking to myself "I'll just convince people to argue you're not really supporting Ukraine unless you are convincing them to lay down their arms and let us conquer them" when someone puts a dominos brand drone through my skull

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 43 hours!)

Staluigi posted:

I'm out mowing my lawn in russia thinking to myself "I'll just convince people to argue you're not really supporting Ukraine unless you are convincing them to lay down their arms and let us conquer them" when someone puts a dominos brand drone through my skull

Hits the target in 30 minutes or its free

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Rust Martialis posted:

Is there a tracker that you can use to watch the progress of the drone strike you ordered?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Tom Clancy was surprisingly bullish on Russia towards the end. A big plot point of one of his later books has Russia joining NATO (lmao) in the face of a Chinese invasion of Siberia.

Russia joining NATO seems ridiculous now but there was a time when it wasn't, the idea was seriously floated in the early 90s.

If you want to do some alternative history 'how could this war have been avoided' speculation, obviously the first answer is 'Russia could be led by someone who is not a genocidal warmonger', but beyond that it is interesting to reflect on how things might have played out had the NATO powers not decided to respond to the collapse of the USSR by making an L sign with their hand on their head and saying "Wow sucks to suck, bummer for y'all but I'm built different", but instead actually tried to help the people of Russia and prevent the plundering of the entire state apparatus by soon-to-be oligarchs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jamsque posted:

Russia joining NATO seems ridiculous now but there was a time when it wasn't, the idea was seriously floated in the early 90s.

If you want to do some alternative history 'how could this war have been avoided' speculation, obviously the first answer is 'Russia could be led by someone who is not a genocidal warmonger', but beyond that it is interesting to reflect on how things might have played out had the NATO powers not decided to respond to the collapse of the USSR by making an L sign with their hand on their head and saying "Wow sucks to suck, bummer for y'all but I'm built different", but instead actually tried to help the people of Russia and prevent the plundering of the entire state apparatus by soon-to-be oligarchs.

I think there's truth to this in how Western capitalists were eager to buy Russian companies for pennies on the dollar destroying decades of soviet wealth (what was left of it) but the narrative about Russia maybe joining NATO was just as much about Russia thinking they represented the whole of the former SSSR and deserving not just equal, but some kind of special treatment and the west not willing to entertain them

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I think there's truth to this in how Western capitalists were eager to buy Russian companies for pennies on the dollar destroying decades of soviet wealth (what was left of it) but the narrative about Russia maybe joining NATO was just as much about Russia thinking they represented the whole of the former SSSR and deserving not just equal, but some kind of special treatment and the west not willing to entertain them
What Western capitalists? The oligarchs were completely homegrown. If the West did anything wrong it was letting those thieves party it up all over Europe and US. And, also, repeatedly ignoring Russian crimes and giving them special kid gloves treatment

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

I imagine the size and speed of the paper drones is helping more than the materials. There must be some sort of filter for what is notable on the AA radars. It wouldn't be helpful if every eagle set off the alarm. That is until this drone war kicked off. The next gen of AA is going to need advanced, probably AI assisted filters to try and determine what is a tiny drone and what is a bird. But lol at Russia getting anything like that within the decade.

There’s probably some shenanigans you could do with Doppler effect (a moving object reflects at a slightly different wavelength based on velocity relative to the radar) to suss it out, at least as a starting point. When you’re at the point of trying to figure out exactly what wavelengths are reflected off of the paint and plastic on the drone, it’s probably time to look for better options though.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

Thread title

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Icon Of Sin posted:

There’s probably some shenanigans you could do with Doppler effect (a moving object reflects at a slightly different wavelength based on velocity relative to the radar) to suss it out, at least as a starting point. When you’re at the point of trying to figure out exactly what wavelengths are reflected off of the paint and plastic on the drone, it’s probably time to look for better options though.

Modern radar systems use every trick possible to distinguish between actual targets and clutter. Doppler shifts, differential reflection, phase data, you name it.

For example you can very easily spot wind farms on weather radar and they have a distinctive appearance on the velocity component:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
What happened with Russia in the 90s was the Chechnyan conflict soured a lot of people on them as a long term strategic partner- unlike the defeated ww2 powers, there would be no geopolitical humble pie with them.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
A lot of Soviet "wealth" disappeared also because industries weren't just uncompetitive, they were actually value subtracting. Fresh fish would be turned into disgusting canned products, iron into low quality steel. The industries that survived the transition were resource extraction and defense.

Then the rampant corruption of post-soviet Russia meant indigenous industries couldn't get off the ground despite attempts at protectionism.

There's definitely a counterfactual where Russia successfully integrates into the western system but it relies more on Russian decision points than the perfidious west robbing them of agency.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Jamsque posted:

I mean, from the US prospective, the "good guys" won in Russia. Nice healthy nationalists like Yeltsin. During the cold war the emigre discourse was about how Russia was a great orthodox nation overthrown by a "foreign" atheist revolution. Western heroes like Solzhenitsyn wrote about how one of the crimes of the communists was artificially dividing the Russian state, and when the time comes, Russia would need make sure that these people got their national self determination (separatist republics).

A conservative nationalist Russia could've absolutely ended up in NATO.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Panzeh posted:

What happened with Russia in the 90s was the Chechnyan conflict soured a lot of people on them as a long term strategic partner- unlike the defeated ww2 powers, there would be no geopolitical humble pie with them.

Until 9/11 at least. Then the West only had to hear "muslims" to turn a blind eye.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FishBulbia posted:

Until 9/11 at least. Then the West only had to hear "muslims" to turn a blind eye.
Yup. Bush said that Chechnya was part of the GWOT.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/bradyafr/status/1697368666386440419#m

I dunno where the damaged ones are, and how badly, but I am guessing these two are a loss.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/bradyafr/status/1697368666386440419#m

I dunno where the damaged ones are, and how badly, but I am guessing these two are a loss.

I think that the going thought is, given the state of the Russian aerospace industry, any damaged aircraft may as be good as destroyed. Even if it's something that can be detached and swapped out, like an engine nacelle or wing, they're pulling that off another aircraft, taking another plane out of commission or reducing an already limited amount of parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Young Freud posted:

I think that the going thought is, given the state of the Russian aerospace industry, any damaged aircraft may as be good as destroyed. Even if it's something that can be detached and swapped out, like an engine nacelle or wing, they're pulling that off another aircraft, taking another plane out of commission or reducing an already limited amount of parts.

Well those are effectively scrap. Heat like that would render parts that weren't completely burnt likely structurally unsound. With the IL-76s there are enough civilian models out there to cannibalize if need be along with a robust spare supply due to them being a popular civilian aircraft. Now something like the Tu-22, Su-30 or MiG-31 if they are damaged they are either cannibalizing other airframes or they are going to be used to cannibalize to keep other airframes going. They reportedly lost two Tu-22s during the drone attacks which is a potentially a huge loss for them.