Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Looking to start another 5e campaign. We're about to wrap up a WFRP campaign and would like to play something a bit less rules heavy and less intense for a bit, as a palate cleanser.

Thinking these will be the house rules/preferences:

quote:

Characters
-Starting at level 1.
-HP: Max HP at level 1, and then half your HD rounded down + Con bonus every level after that.
-Only classes/races/backgrounds/feats/spells from the PHB.
-Human replaced with the version from BG3 (spear/glaive/pike/halberd/light armor/shield proficiency, extra skill proficiency, extra carrying capacity).
-No character racial stat bonuses. Instead, everyone gets +2 to one stat, and +1 to another stat.

Combat
-Using a potion is a bonus action.
-No flanking (I know it's the basic rule, but it's an important one).
-Players will know creature stats (HP/AC/Saving throws/etc).
-Players can make 1 free check per turn to recall other abilities/weaknesses/resistances/general info. The check is based on the creature type (so beasts are nature, undead are religion, dragons are arcana, etc).
-No tracking of mundane ammunition.

Inspiration
-Inspiration is a pooled resource that anyone in the party can use.
-You may hold up to 4 inspiration points at once (inspiration earned over the cap will become XP).
-Inspiration is gained by doing things aligned with your background.
-Inspiration can only be used on ability checks and skill checks.

Rests
-You can only perform 2 short rests until you take a long rest.
-Short rests are 10 minutes, and heal you for 50% of your total HP.

Other
-DM dice will be rolled in the open.

Still thinking about whether to do XP leveling or Milestone, and whether to introduce other racial/class options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Personally I'm a fan of giving players a generic +1 for flanking (instead of advantage) but not giving the same bonus to npcs/enemies.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Never don’t be using milestones there’s already enough maths in dnd

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Verisimilidude posted:

Looking to start another 5e campaign. We're about to wrap up a WFRP campaign and would like to play something a bit less rules heavy and less intense for a bit, as a palate cleanser.

Note: the standard HP gain is half the hit die rounded up, not down, plus CON mod

I do like most the Baldur's gate changes. They should probably all be standard. It's fun that you guys will be using them.

Verisimilidude posted:

Still thinking about whether to do XP leveling or Milestone

Ah yes, the evergreen question...

e:
the war has already started

History Comes Inside! posted:

Never don’t be using milestones there’s already enough maths in dnd

I will always recommend just doing XP, the math is easy and I'm too lazy to list the reasons I like doing it, but it's an overall good game mechanic

HOMOEROTIC JESUS fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 31, 2023

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Note: the standard HP gain is half the hit die rounded up, not down, plus CON mod

I do like most the Baldur's gate changes. They should probably all be standard. It's fun that you guys will be using them.

Ah yes, the evergreen question...

Standard HP gain is what I was going for! I'll take a note of that.

I personally love XP leveling. Gives you the sensation that you're getting close to leveling up. It works well for my group, and Foundry lets you add XP very painlessly to character sheets. XP will be gained across the entire party, and it gives players a reason to risk fighting more monsters or gain inspiration beyond their max.

I don't mind milestone leveling, but I don't really gel with the idea that I am essentially telling the players when they level up. I get that it's easier, but I want the game to dictate when they level up, not me.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Verisimilidude posted:

Still thinking about whether to do XP leveling or Milestone, and whether to introduce other racial/class options.

Is it a sandbox/megadungeon with preset encounters that you don't know what order they'll fight them in? I recommend XP in that case. If not, milestone is the way to go.

I see a lot of those changes are from BG3, but I also notice that it's not all of the changes BG3 made to the 5e ruleset. idk if you already have but if you haven't it might be good to provide clarification on some of the other rule changes they made (multiclassing requirements, changes to Haste, being able to cast 2+ leveled spells/turn, etc.)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Personally I'm a fan of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Volo's Guide to Monsters, and the Xanathar's Guide to Everything sourcebooks. I think they have good additions to the game and are fairly well-balanced. And I'm not sure Inspiration really needs to be prohibited from being used for Attack Rolls or Saving Throws - I always struggle to get my players to use it in the first place, and I don't give them XP for hoarding it. Finally, I tend to essentially do milestone XP - I'll give the party group XP rewards after each session to give them a sense of progression, but I weight the results heavily based on story milestones.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Verisimilidude posted:

Standard HP gain is what I was going for! I'll take a note of that.

It's the only place in the game that I know of where you round up instead of down. Very strange but it's in the players favor at least. I guess they want the safe option for HP gain to be better than the risky option (i.e., rolling for it).

Verisimilidude posted:

I personally love XP leveling. Gives you the sensation that you're getting close to leveling up. It works well for my group, and Foundry lets you add XP very painlessly to character sheets. XP will be gained across the entire group, and it gives players a reason to risk fighting more monsters.

I don't mind milestone leveling, but I don't really gel with the idea that I am essentially telling the players when they level up. I get that it's easier, but I want the game to dictate when they level up, not me.

Yup, agree with all of this

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I like XP leveling, but make sure to give XP for good roleplay, puzzle solving, etc. Too!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Is there a problem with advantage in flanking? I just started an online game and the DM there expressed they don't like it as well

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

S.J. posted:

Is there a problem with advantage in flanking? I just started an online game and the DM there expressed they don't like it as well

It's a much better bonus than the static bonus flanking gave in 3E and 4E, and many people think it makes flanking too powerful. I'm sure some people find it annoying to watch PCs try to flank everything to help fish for crits too.

I don't really know for sure, though. I'm in the "5E doesn't have because it doesn't need flanking rules" camp.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

S.J. posted:

I think it’s too easily achievable and makes other abilities that grant advantage seem not as strong in comparison. Advantage is a huge boost to combat potential, and I prefer when my players use their unique class abilities rather than standing on either side of a guy to get it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Plus giving advantage for flanking will also mean the enemies will be getting advantage a lot too. That means the people getting hit, usually melee martials, will be spending more time on the ground.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Advantage for flanking seems fine as a feat/class feature but yeah it’s too strong and fiddly to be the default.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
how do you handle sneak attack for rogues if flanking doesnt give advantage?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arione posted:

Sneak Attack has its own bespoke flanking rule.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Verisimilidude posted:

I think it’s too easily achievable and makes other abilities that grant advantage seem not as strong in comparison. Advantage is a huge boost to combat potential, and I prefer when my players use their unique class abilities rather than standing on either side of a guy to get it.

It also is far stronger for villains since they typically outnumber the PC 's. Flanking makes playing a tank type very very difficult.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Staltran posted:

Silvery barbs is super high impact for a level 1 spell. Frankly I think it could reasonably be a level 3 spell like counterspell. And like counterspell and shield, it's really good action economy since it's a reaction.

(Shield is pretty broken too, but that's a PHB spell so everyone's used to it.)

One (1) of my players took it in the campaign I'm currently running and it's basically made sure nothing without legendary resistance can save unless it has a good save in that stat. That's already a problem at higher levels, but silvery barbs makes it much worse. This is especially important if the party can target a lot of saves, especially int since a lot of creatures have poo poo int saves. Of course a part of the problem is that I let my players talk me into being able to get the +1 caster items from Tasha's, but silvery barbs can definitely warp the game around it. Especially since it's snowbally, if the party lands a hold monster/person/enemies abound etc silvery barbs can make it really unlikely to ever get out of it without the caster losing concentration.

I'm definitely not allowing silvery barbs (or +save dc items) in any future campaigns I run, and that's not because of theory crafting but experience.

e: it does definitely burn through their slots, but... those are slots well spent, even if they're sometimes level 2 slots. Really, that just means the party could use another caster taking the spell.

I think the biggest issue with Silvery Barbs is that it is reactive. That means you spend the resource at the moment you need it. If you play 3-hour games IRL and only have one or two encounters per session, you might use 0-2 castings of Silvery Barbs in a session; after all, you're going to SB when the dragon's bite crits, but if it also has some regular MM kobolds with it you probably don't care as much when they crit (and you certainly don't care if they succeed on a save). Maybe if you string together a lot of encounters between long rests, it's less of an issue, but it's still an issue. If the GM's rolls are bad this week, you're just sitting on that spell slot ready in case your luck changes.

Imagine if we rewrote Shield and Silvery Barbs in this way: instead of being "cast as a reaction," you cast the spell on yourself as an action, and the effect is that for the next 8 hours (no concentration required), either you can spend a reaction under the originally specified circumstances to get the effect of the spell, after which the effect ends. That means you're down 1 L1 slot for the day, even if you don't end up needing the Shield or Silvery Barbs effect. Would it still be worth casting? I feel like Shield is an easier yes than SB.

Maybe you could patch SB if you implemented this requirement instead: you can cast it on yourself or an ally, granting them a one-use reaction to give themselves the reroll on either their own check, or an attack against them or a save against one of their spells or abilities. That potential lasts for 8 hours or until used. Would it still be worth casting, or is the loss of utility (can react to any roll, at any time) too great? Would you load every member of the party up with one at the start of the adventuring day? Would you recast the spell on someone, in combat, as an action? It still isn't balanced, in part because the "class has an ability or spell requiring a saving throw" element isn't balanced. The Monk may be getting loaded up to force a reroll on stun; the spellcasters' big spells are getting SB; the battlemaster's trip attack isn't. I suspect that if you limit the reroll to attack rolls only, it's still worth a L1 slot, but you probably cast it on the front-liner if your party has one, because turning a crit into a miss on them can make a big difference.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
So I've been DMing for a few years. Heres what I've ran so far.

Lost Mines
Ice Spire Peak
Descent to Avernus
Dragons of Stormwreck
Tyranny of Dragons
Waterdeep, dragon heist

Currently running strahd

I've found running sessions weekly keeps people actively engaged as they know not to schedule other plans for the specific date and time, usually Sunday at 11-4
We always start the session with food, grilling, pizza, etc
Beer is always on the table, if you roll a 1 you take a punishment shot (usually lovely liquor)

Unfortunately one of my key players got kicked out of the Marines and went back home, so like an idiot I let one of my HOA board members join and holy gently caress do I regret it. Despite being in his 50's hes the most disruptive player I've ever had. He DM's for his kids so hes constantly trying to override me as a DM and not only describes his characters actions, he attempts to describe the outcomes of those actions, even telling other players what to do. Naturally I shut this down constantly, reminding him that he can control his own character, not the outcomes, and to let others play their characters as they see fit. This campaign his Cleric is a coward, so hes constantly trying to avoid plothooks, searching for other quests to go on, and flat out ignoring any tasks at hand. For example when they entered barovia and the gates shut, he spent 15 minutes trying to leave. When they got to the town, he flat out ran away from the death house encounter and tried to find something else to do. I took him aside and reminded him that this is the campaign everyone agreed to run, and its not a fing videogame, I can only prepare so much on a published module. So if he doesn't want to play the module, find another group. He stayed. He constantly gets off topic and defaults to current events to the point another player has a squirt bottle and will literally spray him in the face like a misbehaving cat. I really cant kick him out without repercussions. The other 3 members are a business owner, a dealership service manager, and a military NCO. I think this campaign will "be my last" kill the group chat, and start another one for the next module without him so hes none the wiser.

I usually run the campaign using printed maps, I have 6 melemap erase boards for when I have to draw, but all encounters are with icons of the realms miniatures. I buy all the books and supplies, I bought the $550 beyond character pack they use, and usually provide the food more often than not. To cover the cost of the IotR minis I pay for half of the bill, and they split the other half 4 ways. Strahd ran us 2k for singles on ebay to get everything, so they all chipped in $250. it usually takes us 2-8 months to finish a module depending on the size, BG-DtA took 8 months meeting weekly. Beer is usually byob.

Next campaign will be dragonlance, I already bought all the expensive minis myself for that one.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Arione posted:

Sneak attack has its own rules and with Steady Aim in the game, they get advantage on demand now

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Arione posted:

You don't require advantage for sneak attacks. You only require that someone friendly to you is within 5 feet of the target. Several rogue subs have abilities to grant sneak attack as well, Investigator and Swashbuckler in particular come to mind.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arione posted:

[Nightmare player story]

:gonk: that sounds absolutely terrible. But, what sort of repercussions can some random on the HOA board really do to you if you tell them that they're ruining the table's fun and that's he's no longer welcome? His antics aren't just affecting you, they're negatively impacting your other player's enjoyment too.

And if he lives near you and you start the next campaign without him, he's definitely going to notice that you have 4-5 vehicles showing up on Sunday between 1-4. He's going to be just as butthurt about it as if you give him one final chance to play nicely or hit da bricks.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Mederlock posted:

:gonk: that sounds absolutely terrible. But, what sort of repercussions can some random on the HOA board really do to you if you tell them that they're ruining the table's fun and that's he's no longer welcome? His antics aren't just affecting you, they're negatively impacting your other player's enjoyment too.

And if he lives near you and you start the next campaign without him, he's definitely going to notice that you have 4-5 vehicles showing up on Sunday between 1-4. He's going to be just as butthurt about it as if you give him one final chance to play nicely or hit da bricks.

hes in my HOA, its not worth getting the negative attention I would incur. They can make your life absolute hell. If anything I'd need my players to confront him and give him the boot.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arione posted:

I buy all the books and supplies, I bought the $550 beyond character pack they use, and usually provide the food more often than not. To cover the cost of the IotR minis I pay for half of the bill, and they split the other half 4 ways. Strahd ran us 2k for singles on ebay to get everything, so they all chipped in $250.

Arione posted:

Next campaign will be dragonlance, I already bought all the expensive minis myself for that one.

Holy crap.

For D&D minis I write an initial on a glass bead with a sharpie.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I use cardboard tokens with names written on them for enemies and NPCs, and colored wood cubes for the players.

I don't play as a PC but if I did and my GM said "I am going to buy thousands of dollars of minis" I would not give them any of my money for sure.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I know it’s extra work but you could’ve spent 500 bucks on a 3D printer and resin and got all the minis you ever could need.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Arione posted:

I buy all the books and supplies, I bought the $550 beyond character pack they use, and usually provide the food more often than not. To cover the cost of the IotR minis I pay for half of the bill, and they split the other half 4 ways. Strahd ran us 2k for singles on ebay to get everything, so they all chipped in $250.

:stare:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Pussy Quipped posted:

I know it’s extra work but you could’ve spent 500 bucks on a 3D printer and resin and got all the minis you ever could need.

I went this route, and honestly I regret it. It was fun for a while, but resin printing is a whole-rear end hobby in itself. It takes a lot of time to get right, you need space and ventilation for it, and the resin is very, very poisonous. Not to mention all of the failed prints, and resin is incredibly delicate.

You will save money resin printing, but I also value my time, health, and the overall lifetime of the minis I paint.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Pussy Quipped posted:

but the time and effort to paint and base them all flat out isnt worth it, neither is buying all the STL's

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pussy Quipped posted:

:hmmorks:

This is one of my d&d endgame goals, resin printers are siiick

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I mean, if that's your thing, cool - you do you.

But I'm not paying for someone else's minis habit.

(If anything I can see why a player might have some odd sense of entitlement in a game if they paid a couple hundred bucks for the GM's minis to be at the table.)

Cessna fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 31, 2023

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

My mini solution these days: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/campaign-case-creatures

It is extremely useful. I just wish they'd come out with more of the static clings. They are ridiculously restickable but I can't find anyone who is making the darn things. There's no 3rd party sheets at all, so I just have the sheets in the box.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Every campaign I’ve ever played at a real table has been with dice from the giant bag of dice standing in for monsters or whatever 40k minis we had handy at the time

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Cessna posted:

I mean, if that's your thing, cool - you do you.

But I'm not paying for someone else's minis habit.

(If anything I can see why a player might have some odd sense of entitlement in a game if they paid a couple hundred bucks for the GM's minis to be at the table.)

Eh, everyone in the group is pulling down 6 figures, 250 shouldnt be an issue when its for the players experience and its 38 sessions or 190 hours of play. I get some people think the entire cost with the exception of dice should be on the DM, and I dont play with those people.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I like Pathfinder Pawns for striking the right balance between cheaper than real minis, lower effort than making my own 2d minis, and less cognitive load to remember what they represent than dice, although dice are nice too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My new tabletop group are all very nice people but . . .they pretty much exclusively do theater of the mind

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arione posted:

Eh, everyone in the group is pulling down 6 figures, 250 shouldnt be an issue when its for the players experience and its 38 sessions or 190 hours of play.

I make good money myself, but that's still a bit off to me. Like I said, I wouldn't be thrilled about buying someone else's toys, especially when there are other options available.

Don't get me wrong, I play Historicals and 40K/30K, so I've sunk way too much money into minis. But I buy my own - I'm not going to make someone I sit down to play with buy me a new Leman Russ or whatever.

Arione posted:

I get some people think the entire cost with the exception of dice should be on the DM, and I dont play with those people.

That's not what I'm saying.

I don't like bringing a "pay to play" dynamic to an rpg. I'm a Forever GM myself; I'm just fine with paying for the stuff I use to run a game, like dice, books, etc. I'm not using or expecting anyone to use or pay for minis. If they want to buy and use a mini for their character, great! I might even buy something for a special NPC or monster. But I'm not going to sink a grand into minis for an rpg.

And, straight up, if you told me to buy you a few hundred dollars worth of models to play in your game I'd immediately find another game.

Edit: But this is getting into "Paid GM" talk, and maybe that's a can of worms I shouldn't open, my apologies.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 31, 2023

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I bought a Photon S for resin printing and once you get your settings locked in once, you basically have all the minis out want for 20 cents a pop. I now ask that all players in my in person campaigns make a mini in Hero Forge (or elsewhere) that I can buy the stl for $4 and print the whole squad for $1. I also ask that players paint their minis since it gives them the chance to see and think about their character.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Making a guy in hero forge and then just taking a snip or screenshot is a great way to put a picture on a character sheet or make a token for any given VTT without giving them any money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Cessna posted:

Edit: But this is getting into "Paid GM" talk, and maybe that's a can of worms I shouldn't open, my apologies.

Yeah, its pay to play, not going to argure that point. but its not like im charging $10-$30 a session like some people do at stores or on roll20.