Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sad that such a historically cool studio just ends at its lowest point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

drat, that’s sad. RIP.

Also Jesus having to put out that statement and when the general news of the gaming world would be on Starfield reviews. Pretty scummy from higher ups at Embracer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Saints Row 2 was sick as hell. Such a shame they ended up here.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, sucks to hear but this can't be a surprise. Their last financial success was in 2015, that's a long time for a studio to shoot blanks, even if 'executive meddling' is the core reason they wound up in that situation. Their business life probably depended on Saint's Row hitting it out of the park and even being doomed at the start with a year of Epic Exclusivity, I can't imagine it woulda done too much better on Steam with how much bad press the release version of the game got. And I never heard a peep if they turned it around or left it to rot on the vine, so people didn't even care enough to go back and look again when it dropped on Steam for better OR for worse. Woof.

I hope everyone at Violition a life in happier places, their troubles brief and their future more fulfilling. I'll remember you as you were, not as you currently are.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's a shame. I feel like I'm the only person in the world who liked the new Saints Row game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Kins posted:

From LinkedIn: Embracer's consequences continue.

the final GeoMod

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Randalor posted:

It's a shame. I feel like I'm the only person in the world who liked the new Saints Row game.

When you got into a groove it was fine. Playing on ps4 at least, it took a while for you to find that groove. It....needed a few months of patches before it was ok.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

God, this was the first one going down this year that really hurt, even if Freespace's Volition is gone...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Oh, apparently things are just going to be Worse under the Embracer umbrella today, somehow.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/report-embracer-has-made-layoffs-at-gearbox-publishing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it was always clear embracer’s shopping spree would end badly but I’ll admit that I didn’t expect it to happen this fast

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Embracer was really counting on that Saudi money, huh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does anyone know what the Saudi project(s?) were?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rinkles posted:

Does anyone know what the Saudi project(s?) were?

As far as I recall, it was an expected multi-billion investment from SA that just... didn't happen, abruptly, and they'd already started spending like they had it before locking in the contract. And now everyone's feeling the pinch down the line at Embracer.

edit: 2 billion, and the deal collapsed "overnight".

quote:

In the May note, Embracer said that the parties had reached a verbal commitment in October 2022 that would have resulted in more than $2 billion "in contracted development revenue over a period of six years."

"All documentation was finalized and ready to go as of yesterday," the company said. "We asked for the execution of the agreement before our Q4 announcement. However late last night we received a negative outcome from the counterparty." While Axios' sources were clear about who the deal was with, they were less certain about why Savvy walked away.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 31, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the saudis are moving a bunch of money in and out of their various investments it seems like. wwe just took a hit because of that too, they pulled some money out of them and into a mma org (PFL)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
beginning to think that the saudi royal family aren't True Gamers after all

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

claw game handjob posted:

As far as I recall, it was an expected multi-billion investment from SA that just... didn't happen, abruptly, and they'd already started spending like they had it before locking in the contract. And now everyone's feeling the pinch down the line at Embracer.

edit: 2 billion, and the deal collapsed "overnight".

They did get one investment from SA which is what the initial spree was based on. Then the second one which was meant to make that spree sustainable is what got yanked.

E: Youtuber and former Volition employee Chip Cheezum posted in the games chat thread.

Chip Cheezum posted:

So we knew that the corporate restructuring was making things precarious, but over the last few months I believe there were talks to not shutter Volition due to the fact that we were now under Gearbox, had a bunch of new projects potentially in the works, etc. It honestly seemed like we were one of the studios more likely to make it out unscathed. And then we hear there's a very important all-hands meeting earlier this morning and there are some people in the meeting that you usually don't see unless some poo poo's going down. And right away the first thing said was "Volition is being shut down effective immediately".

And yeah, I don't know what's going to happen to the SR2 PC patch. I'm extremely pissed that all that work might vanish. Especially since it was a project that was headed by IdolNinja who was a good friend of mine. Dude literally spent his last days before cancer took him working on that project.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 31, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Feels Villeneuve posted:

beginning to think that the saudi royal family aren't True Gamers after all

Sad

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

don't the saudis own metal slug now :doh:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They own SNK yeah.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah, SNK. Efforts to demonstrate to King of Fighters fans why they should find literally any other game did not go well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don’t worry they won’t own it for much longer.

RIP

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah.

Not with Embracer though but who knows if that makes any real difference.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And the timing of this shutdown sure is coincidental

https://twitter.com/voidburger/status/1697364552483016857?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I hate this fuckin' country so much sometimes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Yeah them doing these shutdowns and layoffs before having to pay another month of benefits is much more likely than them trying to smokescreen the closures under Starfield's release gumming up the news. :smith:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah layoff timing for companies not tied to Microsoft or Zenimax have like, no plausible connection to starfield lmao. I guess it that team was working on a starfield, but I doubt that

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The embargo on Starfield reviews was public knowledge and companies time their bad news to big events so that it gets overshadowed *all the time*, I don't see why we've decided that it's suddenly weird to make that inference in this case. Certainly, denying coverage for an extra month is another and most certainly the primary reason, but Embracer certainly doesn't mind that Starfield is taking heat off them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah its super common for companies to use big events to bury bad news in both industry and politics. Its not some grand master plan, it's basic media strategy.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Because every day they delay is significant cost. Saints Row just released a dlc too, I think, so releasing that, seeing sales, and closing if they weren't happy makes a lot more sense than burying it with starfield reviews lol

This is too big, imo, to tie it the reviews of a large game release.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Also I'm sure someone at Embracer is getting a bonus for a two birds one stone sort of thing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Studio posted:

Because every day they delay is significant cost. Saints Row just released a dlc too, I think, so releasing that, seeing sales, and closing if they weren't happy makes a lot more sense than burying it with starfield reviews lol

This is too big, imo, to tie it the reviews of a large game release.

They released the last season pass DLC and the game on steam just days before the shutdown, yes.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
SAG-AFTRA seeks approval for second strike against video game companies

quote:

With one strike already underway, SAG-AFTRA announced Friday that it will seek authorization for a second strike against the major video game companies.

The union said that talks on a new video game contract have reached a “stalemate,” and that the strike authorization vote is needed as leverage to win wage increases and protection from artificial intelligence.

SAG-AFTRA declared a strike on July 13 against the major TV and film companies, shutting down productions around the globe. Talks with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers have not resumed.

The union has a separate contract with the major video game makers, including Activision and Electronic Arts. The contract was originally due to expire last Nov. 7, but was extended for a year to allow for further discussions. The talks are due to resume on Sept. 26.

SAG-AFTRA is asking for an 11% retroactive increase in rates for video game performers, followed by increases of 4% and 4% — identical to its asks from the film and TV studios. The union also wants protections from AI, which it says poses a threat to voice and performance capture artists in the video game field.

In a statement, SAG-AFTRA’s president, Fran Drescher, blasted the video game companies for their “greed and disrespect.”

“Once again artificial intelligence is putting our members in jeopardy of reducing their opportunity to work,” Drescher said. “And once again, SAG-AFTRA is standing up to tyranny on behalf of its members.”

The chief negotiator for the video game companies did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

SAG-AFTRA went on strike against the video game companies in October 2016. The strike lasted 11 months.

This time around, the union is seeking rest periods and safety protections, in addition to the wage increases and AI provisions. The union wants an on-set medic for video games, similar to current provisions in TV and film, and a prohibition against stunts during self-taped auditions.

:sickos:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Get their rear end

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I'd be curious to know exactly what the "protections from AI" are that they want in games. It would make sense to have prohibitions against using somebody's AI-trained voice-likeness or motion-likeness without their consent or compensation, though I suspect that is illegal anyway regardless of contract. If the ask is to just never use AI tools/generation in animation or voiceover, that seems like a non-starter.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

DancingMachine posted:

I'd be curious to know exactly what the "protections from AI" are that they want in games. It would make sense to have prohibitions against using somebody's AI-trained voice-likeness or motion-likeness without their consent or compensation, though I suspect that is illegal anyway regardless of contract. If the ask is to just never use AI tools/generation in animation or voiceover, that seems like a non-starter.

Likely similar protections the Writers want where they are not asked to "polish" some Ai generated garbage just so the Exec can say they are not writers and pay less.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DancingMachine posted:

It would make sense to have prohibitions against using somebody's AI-trained voice-likeness or motion-likeness without their consent or compensation, though I suspect that is illegal anyway regardless of contract.
you would think but I don't think there's much court testing on this and Erica Lindbeck in particular has found her voice being used in multiple game projects without her consent

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

Get their rear end

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SAG et al are welcome to try, but their last strike against video games took a year and didn't accomplish anything, so whatever, good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

True. It is way easier to just move your voice acting to another anglophone country outside of their reach.