Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL forever at stepparents whose first move is to poo poo all over the parent they're replacing to their new stepkids, and then wondering why their stepkids don't love them or think of them as their parent.

AITA for shrugging off my dad's wife being excluded by my friends moms?

quote:

My dad and Rebecca have been married since I (16m) was 7 and my sister (15f) was 6.

Quick background: My parents were not divorced when my mom died but they were going through a divorce. When they first separated it was because my mom had changed a lot and was undiagnosed with brain cancer at the time which had caused a lot of behavioral changes. I still remember how big those changes were. The diagnosis came just before she died. While my parents were separated dad met Rebecca and they got married 3 months after mom died. They had pushed the wedding up since they were no longer waiting for the divorce.

Rebecca has always had a very negative perception of mom because dad has told her about her behavior before they separated. She said our mom was a bad parent and she would make sure we know what a good mom looks like. From almost the beginning of their marriage she has called herself our mom. Years later I found out she knew back when she married my dad that she couldn't have kids of her own.

My sister and I have never liked Rebecca because of the stuff she says about mom. Dad knows how we feel and after he did some therapy, he would tell her to stop. But he also told us that we should understand that Rebecca loves us and feels like we deserve the best and she might say the wrong thing because of that sometimes.

With all that out of the way I can explain the problem. I have a pretty big friend group. Six of the moms of my friends have made their own little mom group where they can get together and vent and hang out. I think sometimes they use it to plan who'll host something or will volunteer to chaperone some things. The moms in the group all know my sister and I do not consider Rebecca our mom and that we dislike her. My sister is also part of the friend group so they know her feelings too. Rebecca wanted to join the group so many times over the years and was always kept out.

Then a month ago Rebecca actually approached the moms when she saw them out for coffee together and asked why she was never welcomed in. They told her she was not a mom and so they weren't going to include her. She argued back that she's mine and my sister's mom. They said we say differently and that our opinion matters more. They also told her that they were never going to make things uncomfortable for the kids by including her since it would mean she would be around the friend group for certain group stuff we've done together.

Rebecca vented over dinner to us about it and I shrugged her off when she asked what I had to say. The truth is I don't feel the tiniest bit bad that she's been excluded. But she was pissed and dad told me I should be kinder.
"Your bio-mom, who raised you and loved you and whose recent death you are still deeply grieving, was awful. A real piece of poo poo. Now, how about a big ol' hug for your new stepmom?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Crocobile posted:

Yeah, I could see an offer of ibuprofen or a hot water bottle if someone complained about cramps but generally the appropriate response is “that sucks, hope you feel better soon.”

AITA for implying to my coworker that I "please myself" when my husband is away?

LOL at this guy..

Guy: Gee lady you must be real horny and want some dick while your husband is away eh?
Lady: Nah I know how to take care of myself
Guy: EEK HR, you'll never believe what this lady said!

I mean I dunno how detailed she got but probably shouldn't have been detailed?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

or that dickhead coworker should watch his loving mouth and not sexually harass his coworker first, might be easier all around

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solenna posted:

I looked at the comments and wow Reddit sure hates the idea of stepmothers not fully committing to being the stepkids new mommy forever and always.
Me, personally, I hate the idea of the bio, original-issue father deciding that "Yeah, I'm going on a vacation without the rest of you kids because my new wife only wants to be with her kids." The father is the father of all the kids, and he's saying to most of them that they can be removed from the family because his new wife doesn't want them around. This time, she's just asking for them to be absent for one vacation.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I think the main factor in that specific situation is that the kids all live with them full time. If it was a split custody thing I could see making the case for a split vacation but in this case that’s your whole family lady, suck it up.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

dervival posted:

or that dickhead coworker should watch his loving mouth and not sexually harass his coworker first, might be easier all around

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

dervival posted:

And deprive this thread of content? Never!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Tomfoolery posted:

A drum kit won't cost tens of thousands annually in upkeep, or start chewing up your house if you don't walk it for several miles every day

Now that I think about it, young kids would go crazy for a parrot and you can get a common species for $200. But if you push your payment up to $800 you can get an African Grey with a lifespan of 40-80 years

its like $2k minimum for an African Grey, probably closer to $4-5k if you buy from a reputable breeder. Even a Quaker parrot, which is an intro level parrot (beyond a parakeet) is like $800-$1000 now. Also, don't get birds as pets.

Pff
Aug 17, 2012

Silly Newbie posted:

On the other side of that, I'm a fixer by nature, and when I learned to ask "before you go any farther, are you looking for suggestions or fixes, or would you just like to vent or talk through the problem?" I became a lot less irritating to people around me.

Weird, people get bristly when I ask "do you want my help, or are you just gonna gripe and moan?"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

dervival posted:

yeah but we already know he wont' do that. I just thought it was funny that homie harassed her then just runs off to HR. Obviously don't sexually harass but if you're gunna do it you can't just run away to mommie when you get called off on it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for wanting to spend time with just my husband and two children?

They literally get a couple afternoons a month where the stepkids go off to see their mom, and if that's not enough there's gotta be some opportunities to line up age-appropriate activities to foist the middle schoolers off on, so it's not like there are actually any problems getting quality time with her husband and their toddlers. Which makes me suspect the real issue is that she wants to spend extra $$$ on her kids without having to spend any on the stepkids (which she would have to do if she wanted to send them to a day camp while they took the toddlers to the zoo or whatever.)

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Pff posted:

Weird, people get bristly when I ask "do you want my help, or are you just gonna gripe and moan?"

Maybe try "would you like me to try to help, or do you just need me to listen?". At least, if it's someone you like. If it's a stranger or someone I don't like they can take the help I'm offering out of kindness or take their problem to someone else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

the holy poopacy posted:

They literally get a couple afternoons a month where the stepkids go off to see their mom, and if that's not enough there's gotta be some opportunities to line up age-appropriate activities to foist the middle schoolers off on, so it's not like there are actually any problems getting quality time with her husband and their toddlers. Which makes me suspect the real issue is that she wants to spend extra $$$ on her kids without having to spend any on the stepkids (which she would have to do if she wanted to send them to a day camp while they took the toddlers to the zoo or whatever.)

By "vacation" I understood "leave town for an overnight stay somewhere". So yeah, a perfect opportunity to spoil her kids without letting her stepkids get anything.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

EwokEntourage posted:

Also, don't get birds as pets.
You haven't lived until your horny bird decides to hump your head

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quantumwell posted:

:parrot:

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Kakapo!

trickybiscuits posted:

Also a few weeks ago someone called about donating books to the library where I work and I had to repeat "non-fiction books less than ten years old" like three times because they wanted to bring in a fifteen-year-old reference book on the basis that "people might like to see what things were like back then." I think the urge to protect books is inherently good, but . . . no.

I was just at my local library and I noticed a sign about donations that specifically requested books published after 2018, no children's books, and nothing that's water damaged. Some people, including many in my social circle, think of all books as sacred and valuable. I have also seen people lose their minds over art projects made by cutting up old books, even if said books are, like, Windows For Dummies manuals from the early 90s.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
That kind of bibliophilia drives me crazy. A friend of a friend posts on Facebook all the time about how she loves to be surrounded by books and how she loves book shopping and buying books but then when she actually posts about reading anything it's the same four or five fantasy series over and over.

I have a friend who treats all physical media with such reverence like she has no idea that the DVD is not the art. She'll lament seeing someone throw away a book or a Blu-ray but then she'll talk completely through anything you try to watch with her. It's maddening

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I keep first editions but I also use them as my own personal reading copies. If it ain't got a full number line it's ephemeral. Books are meant to be shared.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I did feel really, really sad when I threw away five or six '20s Sabatinis (not first editions), but I knew nobody else wanted them, or at least nobody I was capable of hunting down.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I did feel really, really sad when I threw away five or six '20s Sabatinis (not first editions), but I knew nobody else wanted them, or at least nobody I was capable of hunting down.

Sometimes you just have to accept that the best use for that ancient copy of whatever is best used as wrapping paper or wall paper or decoupage etc.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

quantumwell posted:

I'm both my parakeets have tried to hump my hair when its in a bun and they've both tried to hump my hand

Birds are horny, flirty little devils

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I think the main factor in that specific situation is that the kids all live with them full time. If it was a split custody thing I could see making the case for a split vacation but in this case that’s your whole family lady, suck it up.

And it's not like they just met, they've been a family for 8 years. As far as those kids are concerned, she probably is their mom. You can't have multiple moms.

There was an aita about a kid who called his stepdad dad, and the stepdad told him not to call him that, and I didn't post it because while technically speaking the dude did nothing wrong, it's still felt like a slap in the face for that poor kid.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

Does that include the US, though? We're notorious for not actually signing treaties like this and claiming that we have Reasons to do so that aren't just MIC lobbying.

Various official pronouncements by the US posted:

At the Conference for the Supervision of the International Trade in Arms and Ammunition and in Implements of War in 1925, the United States, with regard to a Polish proposal to extend the prohibition contained in what became the 1925 Geneva Gas Protocol to bacteriological warfare (see supra), stated:
Bacteriological warfare is so revolting and so foul that it must meet with the condemnation of all civilized nations, and hence my delegation … accepts this amendment proposed by the Polish delegate.
United States, Statement made on 8 June 1925 at the Conference for the Supervision of the International Trade in Arms and Ammunition and in Implements of War, Geneva, 4 May–17 June 1925, League of Nations, Records of the Conference, Doc. A.13.1925.IX, September 1925, p. 341.

On 25 November 1969, the US President formally renounced the use of biological agents as weapons. On the same day, the US Secretary of State stated in a memo to the National Security Council that biological research and development would be limited to “defensive” activities and that research into “offensive” aspects of biological agents would only be permitted to the extent that it was pursued for “defensive” reasons.
Alfred Mechtersheimer, “US military strategy and chemical and biological weapons”, in Erhard Geissler (ed.), Biological and Toxin Weapons Today, SIPRI, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1986, p. 79.

On 14 February 1970, the US President stated: “The United States renounces offensive preparations for and the use of toxins as a method of warfare.” The reason given for the decision on toxins by the Office of the White House Press Secretary was that their production in any significant quantities “would require facilities similar to those needed for the production of biological agents. If the United States continued to operate such facilities, it would be difficult for others to know whether they were being used to produce only toxins but not biological agents.”
Erhard Geissler, “Introduction”, in Erhard Geissler (ed.), Biological and Toxin Weapons Today, SIPRI, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1986, p. 18.

In the preliminary stages of the First Review Conference of States Parties to the Biological Weapons Convention in 1980, the United States stated:
Article I
The United States is in full compliance with the obligations contained in article I. Facilities previously used for development, production or stockpiling of biological weapons were now devoted to peaceful purposes …

Article IV
The US has taken, and is taking, a number of steps to prohibit and prevent activities contrary to the provisions of the Convention:
1.… all heads of federal departments and agencies certified to the President at his request, that their organizations were in compliance.
2.Detailed regulations have been established to ensure that the small remaining quantities of biological and toxin agents are used only for peaceful purposes.
3.Existing legislation already controls certain private actions concerning items prohibited under article I, including provisions of the Arms Export Control Act, the Export Administration Act, the Transportation of Dangerous Articles Act, and the regulations issued pursuant to these laws.
United States, Response to the request by the Preparatory Committee for the First Review Conference of States Parties to the Biological Weapons Convention, Geneva, 3–21 March 1980, excerpted in UN Doc. BWC/CONF.I/4, 20 February 1980, § 53, Articles I and IV.

tl;dr: Americans can bear arms but not arm bears.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

thepopmonster posted:

tl;dr: Americans can bear arms but not arm bears.

:confused:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
SERGEANT GRUMBLLLLLLLLES!!!!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I (50F) found out my cheating husband (50M) has been working for 1 percent of his usual salary for two years without telling me.

top comment posted:

He has been planning this divorce for two years. Once your youngest is in college he will serve you. He is fired on paper so he doesn't have to pay you much alimony
That's what I was thinking by halfway through the story.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

dervival posted:

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Anyone remember this one? From Feb, 2019.
I (28) think my girlfriend (26) has been using my gym socks to wipe after going to the bathroom.

quote:

I don't even know where to start with this. I'm dumbfounded. She just stormed out the house and I'm sitting on the bed asking myself A LOT of questions.

I live a pretty normal life, and I thought so did my girlfriend. We've been together for a few months and after things got serious, we moved in together. We started sharing a lot of the household responsibilities, but the one thing she was adamant on doing was the laundry. She would come home and find me in the bedroom getting the laundry together and would quickly ask me to go do something else. I'd come back to finish the laundry and she would have already started it. I always thought it was sweet and never her job to do it alone, but hey, if it makes her happy to do it all the time, I wouldn't stop her.

This is where it takes a turn for the weird. I keep all my socks and underwear in the bottom drawer of my dresser. I also go to the gym frequently, so I always keep a good supply of clean gym socks ready to go. I never kept count, but I know by just a visual glance I several pairs. This morning when I went to grab a fresh pair to pack for the gym, I noticed there were several dress socks, but no gym socks. Again, not weird, they must have been in the laundry. I went to check the laundry basket and it was empty, so I checked the washing machine and dryer. Both were empty. I couldn't figure out where all of my gym socks had gone. So, I did the very natural thing of asking my girlfriend what had happened to them. After all, she is the one who does the laundry all the time. She went silent, turned red and ran out of the room. When I went after her to see if she was okay she wouldn't talk to me. I told her I wasn't mad, I was just looking for my socks. She kinda mumbled "I'll don't know." I still wasn't mad, of course, but I was super confused. Socks just don't disappear. So I asked her again, even laughed about it and she just looked at me and got mad and said "I'll buy you new ones!"

The first thought that went through my head was she had somehow managed to destroy my socks while washing them. I thought the sight of that was actually pretty funny, so I joked with her about ruining my socks. Wrong. Thing. To. Say. She started immediately crying. Like, full on sobbing. At this point I don't care about the socks anymore, I want to know what's wrong with my girlfriend. I sat down next to her on the bed and put my arm around her and asked her of she was okay. She just kept saying she was sorry and that she would buy me new socks. I tried assuring her again it was okay. Even went so far as to say I would buy new socks and she didn't have to. I sat with her for a few minutes trying to calm her down and eventually had to get ready for work. I told her loved her and got my things together to leave for the day.

On my way out I grabbed the garbage to take outside. When I got outside I lifted the lid off the garbage can and I noticed a small plastic bag sitting on top of the garbage already in there. I could see through the bag (kind of the semi see through ones) there were socks in the bag. Since I was sure she had somehow managed to ruin the socks washing them, I wanted to see for myself. I opened the bag and immediately regretted my choice. There, inside the bag, were several pairs of my gym socks covered in what looked like poop. As soon as the smell hit me I knew it WAS POOP.

We don't own any pets.
We don't have any kids.
WHOSE POOP WAS ON MY SOCKS?

Work could wait. I couldn't go the rest of the day wondering why my gym socks were covered in poop and inside a plastic bag in the garbage can. I grabbed the bag and walked back inside. As soon as my girlfriend saw the bag she flipped out and started yelling at me. She said I shouldn't be going through the garbage and that I was disgusting for bringing it back into the house. I asked her to calm down and that I just wanted an answer as to why there was poop on my socks. I wasn't blaming her of anything, but she started accusing me of blaming her. That's when it clicked. I don't know what it was that lead me to ask this, but everything leading up to this moment had just been so crazy. I asked her "Is this your poop?" She started sobbing again and ran out of the house. I didn't go after her this time.

So, now I am sitting on my bed with a bag a poopy socks on the floor and a lot of questions in my head. The only conclusion is that she used them after going to the bathroom. Which that alone has its own set of questions above everything else. I sent her text asking her to come back. She hasn't responded yet. I don't even know what I'm going to say when (IF) she gets back.

UPDATE:

I had to leave for work and am now at work. Yes, I threw away the bag of poopy socks. She texted me back and she's clearly embarrassed, but felt she owed me an explanation. She said she didn't want to talk about it in person and that we could discuss it over texting and to NOT bring it up in person. I'm condensing the conversation and filling in some gaps as best as I can. Her responses are super short, but I'm getting the idea.

I flat out asked her if it was a fetish. It is not a fetish. She confessed to using the socks after going to the bathroom. I found the reason she always does the laundry is because she was hiding the fact that she uses socks to wipe with, primarily her own. I had no reason to question the amount of socks she ever has because who pays attention to that kind of thing? She thought I would notice and think it was weird since she doesn't own many socks. She admitted she has done this for a long time. Her reasoning, as best as I can understand, is that because she is a germaphobe (her word) and she is afraid toilet paper will tear and is afraid of getting her hands messy in ANY WAY. She uses socks because it covers her entire hand. After she's done with them, she throws them away. She used mine because she didn't have other socks.

So, my girlfriend has a fear of getting poop on her hands so she wipes with socks, and has done so for a lone time. It could be worse, I guess. I hope we can laugh about this later. I'm trying to find the humor in it now, but I'm still weirded out.

Update, March 1 posted:

I've had a lot of time to think about what happened yesterday. I've also read through a lot of the comments. Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on what to do. There's been A LOT of development and a few requests to follow up, so here it goes. It's whatever at this point.

We had been texting off and on all evening. As promised, I agreed not to bring it up in person. When I got home after work her car was in the driveway and her sister's car was there as well. I was a little nervous not knowing what I might be walking into, but overall I just wanted to get whatever was going to happen over with. When I walked in it was clear so did she. Her sister was helping her pack up her things. I didn't know what to say, but I never expected this. I honestly thought everything was going to be okay when I got home. Her sister just looked at me and didn't say anything.

I walked by her sister and went into the bedroom where my girlfriend was. She didn't say anything either. She didn't even look at me. If she was going to leave I at least wanted us to have a discussion about it. Everything I had read in the comments about buying a bidet and OCD lead me to believe there might be more to all of this than I had considered. I started to talk and she just threw down the hangars of clothes and screamed at me. "YOU PUT THIS ONLINE? I TOLD YOU TO NOT TALK ABOUT IT!" Her sister ran into the room and told me to just leave until they were gone. She then accused me of cheating. WHAT? This whole thing has been crazy and I feel like I had dealt with a lot up to this point but man that was it. I snapped.

I told her sister I had never cheated. Not once. I would never cheat on her. Enough was enough, so I told her sister the reason she was there was because earlier I had found out my girlfriend had been going to the bathroom and wiping herself with my socks. Everything went silent. Like, no one said a word. Out of nowhere they both start crying. Her sister stared yelling at me and told me I shouldn't be talking about things I don't understand. When I asked her what in the world she was talking about she just kept on yelling at me and shouted back that it was normal and that I need to mind my own business.

Her sister knows about it. (She did not know I posted on Reddit about it)
Her sister thinks it's normal.
I need to mind my own business? They're MY SOCKS!

I stood there all kinds of messed up so I just left. I went to a buddy's house and stayed the night. I also called off work today. I went home and all her stuff is gone. I didn't text her back. I think I'm done.

To clarify a few things: She insisted on doing laundry to keep my suspicion of her not having many socks at rest. She told me last night through text she always throws away the socks and never washed them. She reaffirmed it's not a fetish. She won't try a bidet because she doesn't want poop water splashing on her. I can't keep up with the comments. I'm pooped. (I'm trying to find humor in this because I'm really upset :(

So yeah.
Update title, January 2020. I (29M) am back together (27F) with my "poop socks" girlfriend and I'm wanting to propose.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Anyone remember this one? From Feb, 2019.
I (28) think my girlfriend (26) has been using my gym socks to wipe after going to the bathroom.

Update title, January 2020. I (29M) am back together (27F) with my "poop socks" girlfriend and I'm wanting to propose.

Now that is a motherfucking spoiler.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Also from 2020...
My [21M] flatmate [20M] keeps giving me lil kisses when he thinks I'm asleep. How do I ask him to do it when I'm awake too?

quote:

So we met bc we're on the same course at uni and both needed flatmates when we moved out of halls in second year. We're generally pretty different, but we get on like a house on fire and I couldn't have asked for a cooler flatmate.

"Jake's" a pretty casually physically affectionate guy in general. Huge hugger, will casually put his arm around me (or any of his mates) when we're sitting side by side, I think we all know the sort of thing I mean. I'm not as much that way as he is because I was kinda raised in "men don't hug" kinda household where physical affection was rarely given, if it was given at all, but I'm cool with him being like that and actually kinda appreciate it. We all need a hug sometimes, right?

Obviously we're currently on lockdown and we both elected to stay at our flat instead of going home to our families - him because he has a lot of high risk people in his and doesn't want to risk potentially being an asymptomatic carrier, me because honestly 3 weeks or more stuck in the house with my family sounds like abject hell. So far it's been great.

Now for some context, I have a condition which means I'm incredibly tired/sleepy a lot and as such I have a kinda funky sleeping pattern. Basically, most days, I have to force myself to get up in the morning, then take a nap (sometimes a couple) in the middle of the day, and go to bed at a reasonable but not too early time so that I get enough but not too much sleep at night. It helps keep my fatigue in check and stops me from literally just sleeping 15 hours at a time every day. I have good days where I don't need the nap, and bad days where I don't manage to drag myself out of bed at all, but how I just described is how most of my days look. This is relevant I promise lol.

When I take my midday naps, I usually do so on the sofa in the living room because it's far easier to get up afterwards than it is if I nap in my bed. Jake is generally out when I take these naps, but he has said he's fine with it if he's here since they're generally only 30-60minutes and I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and prefer a bit of background noise while I kip anyway so if he wants to watch TV or whatever while I'm napping it's no issue.

Since quarantine, he's obviously been here every time. He's been very accommodating and sweet about it. Our living room can get pretty cold, so if I fall asleep without a blanket (read: most times lol), he'll pop one over me so I don't freeze. It started out being just that; I'd fall asleep without a blanket and wake up with one. Then, a couple of times, I woke up and he was sitting up the top of the couch (one of those corner sofas, so I was on one part of the L he was on the other bit if that makes sense) and he was just casually playing with my hair which I... actually really love more than I thought I ever would, very soothing. Then, about a week ago, I guess he thought I was asleep before I was because he tucked a blanket over me and then gave me a lil kiss on my forehead.

Now, this isn't the first time he's kissed me. Like I said, he's very casually physically affectionate with everyone and he doles out kisses on the cheek to everyone like they're nothing. However this felt very different. Much more intimate and loving. And I liked it. Like I really liked it. To the point where I've literally been pretending to fall alseep sooner than I'm ready to actually sleep in hopes he'll do it again, which he has been. He sometimes strokes my cheek or my hair a little bit too which, oh my God, that's even better.

I don't really know what this means. I consider myself mostly straight, not too sure how he identifies but as far as I'm aware he's been with both men and women in about equal numbers. Idk if this is a thing of me being attracted to him (like he's objectively good looking in a way I'd call "pretty" rather than "handsome but I've never thought about if he's attractive) or what but, like, I'd really kinda be okay with it/like it if he started giving me these lil forehead kisses while I'm awake too. Idk how to describe it. It's very comforting. Very soothing. However, as I've mentioned, I was raised in a context where physical affection like that was a rarity and pretty much only reserved for when something bad happened and I was upset. How do I approach him about this without it being weird?

TL;DR: I take a lot of naps on the couch. My flatmate has been tucking me in and kissing me on the forehead when he thinks I'm already asleep. I like it and have been pretending to sleep to get forehead kisses. How do I tell him I'd like it if he'd do it while I'm awake too?

EDIT: kinda snowed under with comments and messages rn sorry I'm not getting back to everyone.

Main thing I wanna answer here: a lot of people asking what's up that makes my sleeping pattern funky. I fell out of a tree as a teenager and got a head injury. The sleep thing is one of a few different symptoms of what is effectively very minor brain damage. My cognitive function and stuff is still okey dokey but stuff like sleeping and fine motor skills and memory are a bit wonky.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Finally a poopsock story with a happy ending :unsmith:

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Also from 2020...
My [21M] flatmate [20M] keeps giving me lil kisses when he thinks I'm asleep. How do I ask him to do it when I'm awake too?

The whole time I was waiting for a final update: "so we spoke, turns out I misread the vibe and this is just how he treats all his homies. Then he swaddled me up like a burrito baby and rocked me back to sleep"

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Also from 2020...

is there an update to this. i would like an update to this

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
AITA for not letting my husband take our toddler to a remote island cabin?

quote:

My husband (41M) wants to take our toddler son (2.5M) to his remote Canadian cottage without me. This cottage is in another country (it's in Canada, we are from the US), so on top of it being a 4.5 hour flight away, it requires a 3 hour drive and then a 30+ minute ferry ride, as the cottage is located on an island that is ONLY accessible by boat. Last time we stayed at the cottage, there was no hot shower water for the entire 5 days. Before that, I was exposed to bats in the sleeping room and had to drive to New York to get vaccinated for rabies. Before that trip, we lost power and had no hot water and I had food poisoning (the water is unfiltered from the lake). It's always something going wrong and I'm just so, so, sick of it. I told him I'd stay for 2-3 nights next year, but I don't want to stay 5 nights again. It's also very difficult with a toddler who never sleeps through the night. This cottage means a lot to my husband (he has fond memories of being there with his family and friends when growing up), but it has always been a source of intense anxiety and discomfort for me. From the bugs, to the bats, to the lack of basic amenities (we often lose power or hot water), I just always get stressed and dread being there. Every single year I dread it. My husband knows this and has been working on "fixing up" the cottage, but it's just very uncomfortable for me and he knows this. I have put up with it for years but I'm tired and want to limit how long I will stay there in the future.

Now he is threatening to take our 2.5 year old son there for a week+ without me, which I find unacceptable. I have never threatened to take our son anywhere without his consent, much less to another country. Our son is afraid of flies (screams and cries whenever they get near) and doesn't sleep through the night. I don't think he will enjoy this trip that he's too young to consent to, especially with his mom gone.

AITA for telling my husband that I won't allow him to take my son to a different country without my consent?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Propaniac posted:

The replies have an insane number of people going "what, that's all fine, just let him go and get bitten by bats and poisoned, pussy."

That sounds like a miserable trip for the kid AND the dad.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Propaniac posted:

Comes out in comments that the MIL just had to get rabies prophylaxis the previous week, thanks to a stay at the cottage! Reddit commenters are pouring in with "the kid needs lifelong experiences!" "this is a bonding moment!" "You're making a big fuss over a little dirt!" and other minimizing stuff.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

EwokEntourage posted:

its like $2k minimum for an African Grey, probably closer to $4-5k if you buy from a reputable breeder. Even a Quaker parrot, which is an intro level parrot (beyond a parakeet) is like $800-$1000 now. Also, don't get birds as pets.

Don't get parrots as pets, but do get chickens and pigeons

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Finally a poopsock story with a happy ending :unsmith:

Too long, guessing someone finally got a bidet to put an end to whatever madness?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Comes out in comments that the MIL just had to get rabies prophylaxis the previous week, thanks to a stay at the cottage! Reddit commenters are pouring in with "the kid needs lifelong experiences!" "this is a bonding moment!" "You're making a big fuss over a little dirt!" and other minimizing stuff.

"He'll sleep better outdoors!" (it isn't an outdoors trip, it's in a cabin, I don't know what story this guy was reading)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Khanstant posted:

Too long, guessing someone finally got a bidet to put an end to whatever madness?

I read the update, and NOPE! In fact she refuses to use one.