Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

"how do i play no mans sky"
"dude youre playing no mans sky??? jesus get on ssris"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

punished milkman posted:

i love a good video game map. the last map that made me go “drat, that’s a good map” was probably elden ring. i think the returnal map was a fairly solid 3d map as well

the tears of the kingdom map was pretty cool (especially the heroes path thing, wowie) but it has way too much bullshit on it

i like a painted map. i always hated the skyrim lod model map

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Al! posted:

i like a painted map. i always hated the skyrim lod model map

Oh same, I can't stand that map. It always bugs out too when you go really far to the east around Riften and it won't let you scroll to the west very far.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Congrats on Google knowing you have some sort of drug problem

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I have a bunch of video game maps in a shoebox in the closet. Not sure what else to do with them

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

I have a bunch of video game maps in a shoebox in the closet. Not sure what else to do with them

mail them to me

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im already married, i can afford to hang cloth maps in my office

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
hey what was that game that was kind of a shooter and kinda souls like recently that came out and was co-op focused?

my wife and I are almost finished with DOS 2 and I was trying to think of some other poo poo we could play together, idk if I want to jump into another big RPG immediately

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

hey what was that game that was kind of a shooter and kinda souls like recently that came out and was co-op focused?

my wife and I are almost finished with DOS 2 and I was trying to think of some other poo poo we could play together, idk if I want to jump into another big RPG immediately

Remnant 2? My buddy and I are doing a playthrough once it goes on sale

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the milk machine posted:

imo it's already great on the steam deck if not fully verified

I haven’t spent much time in handheld mode, did you set up a control scheme or is there one you can recommend?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

Remnant 2? My buddy and I are doing a playthrough once it goes on sale

yeah I think that was it, thanks

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Did you really beat stuff like the final Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 bosses on the first try? That's pretty wild to me, unless someone just lucked into having a good build for those fights when they first encountered it. Normally, through sheer chance, you'd end up with a build that isn't suited to those bosses.

Arena were pretty effortless until one of the D-Rank fights for me (though I haven't tried that again yet - I was just coasting on my "stand around as a chunky guy and shoot miniguns and grenades at things" build as far as it would take me).

balteus first try, but i did kinda cheat by reading the ac thread and knowing to bring dual pulse guns. Cleaner first try but sea spider wrecked me until i changed my build. After that, every boss was first try or i just died once. Finished up the worm last night

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

tried ac6 multiplayer and it's pretty fun but it's crazy how few lobbies there are. eventually got in a lobby and shithoused some guy with shotgun/grenade combo, felt kinda cheap but i guess that's what it takes to win

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
bethesda paid for shroud to stream starfield to have 60k people just ripping on it pretty fun time tbh

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

DaysBefore posted:

smh if you don’t have the original Morrowind map framed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Instantly recognized this...if you ever find yourself in this place, leave as soon as possible. It's not safe

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

balteus first try, but i did kinda cheat by reading the ac thread and knowing to bring dual pulse guns. Cleaner first try but sea spider wrecked me until i changed my build. After that, every boss was first try or i just died once. Finished up the worm last night

Ah, that makes sense. It took me a few tries to beat Balteus even with dual pulse guns, but I think that was partly bad luck (how often he uses the flamethrower* - or melee at a bad time** - during phase 2) + the fact that I didn't use a tank build (almost certainly would have won more quickly if I had, since my first few tries with the pulse guns I got him down to like a tiny sliver of his health; an extra ~4-5k AP absolutely would have made the difference there).

* I never did figure out how to avoid this. Maybe floating in the air as a tetrapod? It doesn't seem possible to dodge it if he fires it while in the same zip code as your mech.
** Or this if he begins using it while you're nearby

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Red Baron posted:

oh my god

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

is there really no maps in starfield?

gamers keep wistfully talking about how great morrowind was with its lack of quest markers and only giving text directions but now they complain when Bethesda brings that feature back for their magnum opus

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They couldn't figure out maps for the proc-gen stuff that worked well so they just tossed out maps.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Gumball Gumption posted:

They couldn't figure out maps for the proc-gen stuff that worked well so they just tossed out maps.

given how the random spots on planets work I’m not surprised

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hatebag posted:

tried ac6 multiplayer and it's pretty fun but it's crazy how few lobbies there are. eventually got in a lobby and shithoused some guy with shotgun/grenade combo, felt kinda cheap but i guess that's what it takes to win

there are a lot of lobbies. you can just only see ones that aren't full and they fill up instantly

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Red Baron posted:

:hfive:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

:sickos:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Instantly recognized this...if you ever find yourself in this place, leave as soon as possible. It's not safe

Ah, that makes sense. It took me a few tries to beat Balteus even with dual pulse guns, but I think that was partly bad luck (how often he uses the flamethrower* - or melee at a bad time** - during phase 2) + the fact that I didn't use a tank build (almost certainly would have won more quickly if I had, since my first few tries with the pulse guns I got him down to like a tiny sliver of his health; an extra ~4-5k AP absolutely would have made the difference there).

* I never did figure out how to avoid this. Maybe floating in the air as a tetrapod? It doesn't seem possible to dodge it if he fires it while in the same zip code as your mech.

Balteus ruined me for ages but I don't think I ever got hit by his flamer, i just flew as high as I could whenever he'd try, and he basically can't track vertically with it.

Everythings kicked my rear end a bit except Cleaner cos tetra leg hover made it so easy.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Red Baron posted:

lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

https://i.imgur.com/b5XFRDg.mp4

just stay close and dance around him to dodge. Games kinda like Sekiro, you gotta be aggressive as hell

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

there are a lot of lobbies. you can just only see ones that aren't full and they fill up instantly

yes i subsequently figured that out and then accidentally joined a team game as an observer and had to quit the game to stop watching other people play whoops

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Lmao (in a good way) at the framed morrowind map guys

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

How much of Starfield is procedurally generated? Are all the major cities procedural?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Euphoriaphone posted:

How much of Starfield is procedurally generated? Are all the major cities procedural?

seems like major cities and a smattering of other specific locations are handcrafted, some planets which are procedural have points of interest which draw from a pool of premade buildings or whatever, and the rest is truly random

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

RandolphCarter posted:

I haven’t spent much time in handheld mode, did you set up a control scheme or is there one you can recommend?

i haven't played ATS in a month or so, I should have specified I'm using the most popular community layout: All Default Bindings w/ Trackpad Highlighting by Extant

it's nothing fancy; right stick is camera, left stick moves block by block, left trackpad is a radial menu for different panels, right trackpad is mouse. left and right triggers are clicks and the bumpers are speed iirc. I forget the button assignments but A pauses/unpauses i think. something like that.

I've probably only played maybe 10-15 hours but they've all been handheld on the steam deck and I've never given the controls a second thought

the deck isn't great for some m+kb based games but since ATS is real time with pause it seems fine with me

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i've also been pretty impressed with how bg3 handles on the steam deck* and im pretty
stoked to try out divinity original sin 2 when I can get it on a good sale

* though imo it feels like the latest update hosed something up with item/character highlighting where sometimes you're sort of stuck highlighting something and can't move

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv1a-OrikdM

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Red Baron posted:

hell yeah

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Red Baron posted:

review embargo lifts today, can’t wait to see the rationalizations flow like an ocean

"most starfield reviews are positive, except for the many that arent"

"starfield is pretty buggy but not nearly as buggy as previous bethesda titles on release"

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Schmoe Cwead posted:

"most starfield reviews are positive, except for the many that arent"

"starfield is pretty buggy but not nearly as buggy as previous bethesda titles on release"

yeah honesty it’s been pretty tame, and all the reviewers I care to listen to have covered their bases well

guess I was wrong!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

punished milkman posted:

Lmao (in a good way) at the framed morrowind map guys

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Balteus ruined me for ages but I don't think I ever got hit by his flamer, i just flew as high as I could whenever he'd try, and he basically can't track vertically with it.

Everythings kicked my rear end a bit except Cleaner cos tetra leg hover made it so easy.

I feel like people getting killed by Cleaner are making the (reasonable, but inaccurate in this case) assumption that he'll punish you if you get far away, similar to nearly every other boss in this game. But no - Cleaner can do jack poo poo to you if you're far away (and it has a second weak point in its "mouth" that you can see when facing it head-on). This was truly surprising to me, because I spent the start of the fight getting owned and using up 2 repair kits, and then desperately flew away and realized that it couldn't do anything and wouldn't hit me when I flew past it to switch to the other side of the arena. And when it reached phase 2 I was like "oh poo poo, now I bet it's going to punish me at range." But no again - it gets some new flame-spraying attack, but it still can't reach far enough.

So even if you can beat it by hovering as a tetrapod, you can beat it with literally any build as long as you have the capacity to assault boost most of the length of the arena and hit a ranged target.