Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

This seems like it would officially get gunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Animal-Mother posted:

This seems like it would officially get gunky.

If its the same stuff as creepy crawlers it should be fine

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hardcordion posted:

I remember my sister getting a McDonalds play kitchen thing that let you make fake but edible fries and burgers. I've seen modern toys that turn strips of bread into fries but as far as I can recall this set just came with packets of powder. I don't think we ever actually made the food but now I'm wondering what it was/tasted like.

I had that. You made the fries out of sandwich bread, it was bullshit. IIRC the powders were for making "shakes" and a gel/gummy thing that you would press into burger components that my 6yo self could not figure out how to properly do

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Grassy Knowles posted:

I havent seen a toy I wanted in years but holy poo poo I dont think i ever knew this existed and i want it

I very much remember this commercial and boy I thought it was cool.

I don’t think I ever saw it in the wild though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I havent seen a toy I wanted in years but holy poo poo I dont think i ever knew this existed and i want it

nude man Creepy Crawlers oven

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
Sook-Yin herself just posted this on Twitter after recently digging it up herself and holy moly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Gomi Day posted:

Sook-Yin herself just posted this on Twitter after recently digging it up herself and holy moly.

gently caress yeah Sook-Yin, gently caress yeah the Wedge, gently caress yeah 90s Much. I'm wearing a shirt with that logo as we speak. Cool ad.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Basic idea later repurposed as

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

no broccoli please posted:

gently caress yeah Sook-Yin, gently caress yeah the Wedge, gently caress yeah 90s Much. I'm wearing a shirt with that logo as we speak. Cool ad.

I saw her at the Beastie Boys concert, summer of '98 Molson Park in Barrie!!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gomi Day posted:

All I can think of if this:

hi every1 im new!!!!!!! *holds up spork* my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me ^_^… im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again ^_^ hehe…toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cartoon Man posted:

All I can think of if this:

hi every1 im new!!!!!!! *holds up spork* my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me ^_^… im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again ^_^ hehe…toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

That's 2000s :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ironhead posted:

Man this just reminds me of how many toys had consumables. Like the creepy crawlers oven thing, and I had some mad scientist lab thing? But you could eat the experiments that came out of it?

I vaguely recall getting a few things like that, and then either not being able to get more refills or my parents refusing to buy them. And ofcourse you got the occasional Aunt or something who bought you the refill without the base toy needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfs8hVNvVik

I had the drink one and the drinks tasted like sprite I think. But probably not. Probably tasted like nasty rear end fizzy chemicals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYdqNxuSjbY

I just thought that beakers and vials were badass

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I had this and it was as awesome as you would imagine. I can still remember the feel and smell of the slime.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

CelticPredator posted:

I had the drink one and the drinks tasted like sprite I think. But probably not. Probably tasted like nasty rear end fizzy chemicals

Fuuuuuuuck I had this. The drinks definitely tasted horrible.

All the tubing and such was impossible to clean (when kids barely think you should clean things to begin with), so it did not last long.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just used it as role play props.

My favorite “”””toy”””” as a kid were these strainers which I would use as UFO’s, radar dishes and my favorite, the Predator’s medikit thing

Because I was a child idgaf but I do have to think my parents were annoyed when they needed that thing and it was filed with rocks and dried blue jello

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Dillbag posted:

I had this and it was as awesome as you would imagine. I can still remember the feel and smell of the slime.

Whoa, memory unlock. I had this too, and I can also smell the slime despite using it for it’s intended purpose exactly once because it was a huge mess. And the slime seemed to dry up pretty quickly. But I held into the slime container for a while, which had a rad Hordak face embossed on the cap, and the skeleton hand that broke off of it was a cool pretend prosthetic for little kid me

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbaSEvUFcDc

I borrowed this from another kid in the boy scouts and loving loved it, was very upset when he finally demanded I give it back.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Dillbag posted:

Look at this box art, amazing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Dillbag posted:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Mattel, Maker of Fetishes

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

He-Man needs to get over himself that thing could have multiple uses.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

edit: Wong theead

Grassy Knowles posted:

I was unreasonably excited a few weeks ago when I found an almost-like-new Lite Brite at the Goodwill across the street. All I need is some black construction paper.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Sep 3, 2023

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

They were still making these as of 2009 for Terminator Salvation. Here's Ashens using one and it going about as well for him as you'd expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1qsQgbJ48A

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

GWBBQ posted:

cw for medical stuff and The End:

I was unreasonably excited a few weeks ago when I found an almost-like-new Lite Brite at the Goodwill across the street. All I need is some black construction paper.

Hey buddy you doing okay? I don't think this was the thread you meant to post that in. But hit up a stranger on the internet if you need to talk.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I had this (both). Please give me appreciation I deserve.

It was cool until you had to clean it up and then also ran out of the special sugar/emulsifier packets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dialhforhero posted:

I had this (both). Please give me appreciation I deserve.

It was cool until you had to clean it up and then also ran out of the special sugar/emulsifier packets.

How Dreadful that must have been!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I had this! My mother was so disgusted that someone had given it to me that I was only permitted to use it in the basement. I also wasn’t allowed candy so I mostly just ate the powders, like a little gremlin, in the basement. The kit got so mouldy down there that I think I had to throw it all out after like a month.

I had the 90s versions of these (or the 80s versions). I remember them being browner/oranger. Might have been the radio shack versions.

Played with those a lot.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ghost Cactus posted:

I had this! My mother was so disgusted that someone had given it to me that I was only permitted to use it in the basement. I also wasn’t allowed candy so I mostly just ate the powders, like a little gremlin, in the basement. The kit got so mouldy down there that I think I had to throw it all out after like a month.

I had the 90s versions of these (or the 80s versions). I remember them being browner/oranger. Might have been the radio shack versions.

Played with those a lot.

Holy gently caress I had both of these but that memory was buried until seeing this just now.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ghost Cactus posted:

Played with those a lot.

I had one of these from Radioshack and loving loved it. A few years ago I wanted to buy one as a gift for a cousin's young'n and found out that they are not made anymore. :(

I still believe that these are one of the loving coolest and most educational toys of all time.

v-- I'll have to remember this for upcoming Christmas.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Sep 3, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Unperson_47 posted:

I had one of these from Radioshack and loving loved it. A few years ago I wanted to buy one as a gift for a cousin's young'n and found out that they are not made anymore. :(

:science: not the exact same one but

https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Elect...93708945&sr=8-1

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
drat. I remember that thing but I also remember not knowing what the gently caress it was and had no idea. Thought it was dumb.

Are you sure this isn't an 80s thing that crept into the 90s? I recall being very young seeing this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dialhforhero posted:

drat. I remember that thing but I also remember not knowing what the gently caress it was and had no idea. Thought it was dumb.

Are you sure this isn't an 80s thing that crept into the 90s? I recall being very young seeing this.

These were definitely around in the 90's, I had one late 90's-ish in Australia.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I had a Radio Shack one in the 80's. Great fun, except sometimes I'd make this 100-step thing and it wouldn't work, and boy howdy would I be mad. It was used and it's possible some random component was bad, or more likely some of the wires were broken inside their insulation.

But overall? Dang fun. I liked the projects that made lots of noises.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had one in the 90s but I was probably too young for it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I had a set like that too. In my case, the little springs that you stick the wires under were zinc plated and oxidized quickly, making the contacts unreliable. Mine came without the radio components, but that was exactly what i wanted to make.

I ended up just learning how to solder a couple months later and build stuff on a scrap of wood with brass nails hammered into it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Heath posted:

What's it supposed to do? I had a rock tumbler because that's more my speed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

doctorfrog posted:

I had a Radio Shack one in the 80's. Great fun, except sometimes I'd make this 100-step thing and it wouldn't work, and boy howdy would I be mad. It was used and it's possible some random component was bad, or more likely some of the wires were broken inside their insulation.

But overall? Dang fun. I liked the projects that made lots of noises.

I distinctly remember the one I had had the full morse code alphabet on it across the angled part at the back. Someone on the design team for that one was a monstrous sadist who knew exactly the beeping hell they'd be inflicting on parents worldwide.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I begged my parents for one of those electronic kits for months, then when I finally got one I think it came out of the box maybe 3 times.

In that way that kids do, I'd built it up in my head to be this amazing thing that would let me built robot brains or computerised booby traps, but the reality was that the project booklet was just full of stuff about how resistors work and maybe by the time you got to project #50 you'd be able to make an LED flash...

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Ghost Cactus posted:

Played with those a lot.

I had one, but it was a kit only good for building an AM radio. Oh thanks auntie for this DIY Rush Limbaugh receiver, christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's it supposed to do? I had a rock tumbler because that's more my speed

It was the electronics equivalent of a chemistry set, a kit of experiments to learn the basics of the components and some Ohm's law and such. The later experiments ramped up to some basic RC circuits and diodes and stuff, ending with building a basic AM radio.

Heath posted:

Same but I was that kid who taught himself C++ and eventually started building robots in middle school, so it was awesome for me.