Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s not one of the big archive buildings, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Is there any alternative to having to wait three hours between events to get into a pirate freighter ship battle?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This game needs ships for the Autophage race. I want a rusted old jalopy looking ship to match the aesthetic but all my ships are slick as all hell.

5er posted:

Is there any alternative to having to wait three hours between events to get into a pirate freighter ship battle?

There's a fight every 5 or so warps, in the past it was just small ships attacking a freighter that if you saved, you could claim/buy but now those fights are replaced by the pirate freighter attacking civilian ones that if you save you can claim/buy.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It’s not one of the big archive buildings, is it?

No, it is an actual player base, with the icon showing which player built it and everything. Will try to get a screenshot of it next time I play. I was really (pleasantly) surprised to see it, it is within easy walking distance of my base and was made by a complete stranger.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mister Bates posted:

No, it is an actual player base, with the icon showing which player built it and everything. Will try to get a screenshot of it next time I play. I was really (pleasantly) surprised to see it, it is within easy walking distance of my base and was made by a complete stranger.

Sorry to ruin the mystery, but...

I think that might have been me.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 27, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think that might have been me.

A shortfall of gravitas, huh

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Did I dream it or did they talk about customizable freighter crew, like you could make them all into robots?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
sounds like they are reverting/fixing whatever change altered all the sentinel spawn cosmetics, currently on the experimental branch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErECRdQWNBo

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FrickenMoron posted:

I wanted to try the game again after not touching it for 2 years. It's stuttering like crazy though on PC, any fixes for this? I'm on a 13th gen i5, 32gb ram, 3080ti... why is the game still having these technical issues?

I play on the steam deck and the framerate was noticably improved with this update so my bet would be "some weird specific driver/settings thing going on"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FrickenMoron posted:

I wanted to try the game again after not touching it for 2 years. It's stuttering like crazy though on PC, any fixes for this? I'm on a 13th gen i5, 32gb ram, 3080ti... why is the game still having these technical issues?

I don't get stuttering but it hitches up for a few seconds a lot more, especially during transitory periods like entering/leaving atmosphere/the Anomaly/etc

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Stare-Out posted:

This game needs ships for the Autophage race. I want a rusted old jalopy looking ship to match the aesthetic but all my ships are slick as all hell.

There's a fight every 5 or so warps, in the past it was just small ships attacking a freighter that if you saved, you could claim/buy but now those fights are replaced by the pirate freighter attacking civilian ones that if you save you can claim/buy.

If three in-game hours haven't passed since the last encounter, you can keep on warping past the 5-count threshold with nothing happening.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So I have swapped to using trackball mice for mostly ergonomic reasons. This game controls mostly fine in 99% of encounters but space combat feels particularly nonresponsive.

They have the two control types, Tethered and Locked. Locked works much better than Tethered with a trackball, but when performing slight angle adjustments to flight, i.e., when tracking a target in front of you, it seems to "hold" that camera input as if it was pseudo-tethered. Larger inputs will have the ship stop rotating eventually as you'd expect.

Is there some other control setting I'm missing? I've turned off the mouse smoothing in the settings completely, as you actually typically benefit from mouse acceleration being on with a trackball in my experience, and the smoothing feels like it really cancels that out.

Worst comes to worst I have a normal mouse I still use for FPS games and whatnot, but I'd like to keep using the trackball if possible.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I was hoping using an echo resonator would kick off some sort of questline but I got the same camp as always. :sigh:

People online are saying you have to find an abandoned system? I just want options for robot space ponchos!

EDIT: to be clear, I have a settlement, a pet sentinel, an AI ex-suit, and have access to the robot race in appearance customizers (possibly because of completing the previous expedition?).

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 31, 2023

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I was hoping using an echo resonator would kick off some sort of questline but I got the same camp as always. :sigh:

People online are saying you have to find an abandoned system? I just want options for robot space ponchos!

EDIT: to be clear, I have a settlement, a pet sentinel, an AI ex-suit, and have access to the robot race in appearance customizers (possibly because of completing the previous expedition?).

I think you need to be 100% clear of all the story plot missions, and through the 'corruption / dissonance' content that was released with the prior content update. All anyone should need to do if they're all caught up is just warp to another system and the Autophage plot will trigger. My son still had some main story / prior patch mission stuff to complete when he jumped in last weekend and couldn't trigger the recent stuff.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

5er posted:

I think you need to be 100% clear of all the story plot missions, and through the 'corruption / dissonance' content that was released with the prior content update. All anyone should need to do if they're all caught up is just warp to another system and the Autophage plot will trigger. My son still had some main story / prior patch mission stuff to complete when he jumped in last weekend and couldn't trigger the recent stuff.

Pretty sure I am, I'll try warping somewhere. Generally I travel by teleporter unless I feel like exploring.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Are you playing on normal difficulty or higher? Dissonant systems won't appear in easy mode or most custom modes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

warping to a new system did it, the questline has been triggered

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just started the expedition and managed to build a base computer and building, but I can't build the device that let's me research blueprints, so I can't build a teleporter and battery etc.

Where can I get the blueprint for that device? In my normal game the base computer gave it to me but in the expedition this doesn't work. It is also not a reward in phase one but you are supposed to build a base. So it must be possible to research technology blueprints somehow.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
All you really need to do is build 15 components of any kind, so you could just make 15 wood floor panels and get the waypoint. It doesn't need to be a good base.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I know but I want a teleporter because I found a downed sentinel ship and built right next to it.
Or is it not worth doing anything not expedition related in expedition?

Expeditions are like seasons in the games right? You play it finish it and get some rewards that are account wide, but afterwards the save game is basically worthless, correct? And next expedition you must start a new save.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hopper posted:

I know but I want a teleporter because I found a downed sentinel ship and built right next to it.
Or is it not worth doing anything not expedition related in expedition?

Expeditions are like seasons in the games right? You play it finish it and get some rewards that are account wide, but afterwards the save game is basically worthless, correct? And next expedition you must start a new save.

It's worthless if you have a "main" save that you're planning on going back to, apart from the rewards expeditions tend to be most helpful to new (or old lapsed) players since they tend to bootstrap you into a bunch of poo poo that's harder to get outside of the expedition, and the save converts to normal mode at the end of it.

But yes, every expedition requires a new save for it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
OK thanks, then I will check to see if I need a sentinel. Ship in some phase if not I can just leave.

But since this expedition gave me a freighter, maybe I should keep that save at the end, we'll see.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Staff achieved, friendship began with the Autophage

That third pic was a camp build in the side of a giant volcanic caldera, it was pretty :black101:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Uggghhhh having to find very specific types of animals across dozens of planets is absolutely life-draining. I'm waiting for a full guide before continuing with this expedition.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pretty sure I am, I'll try warping somewhere. Generally I travel by teleporter unless I feel like exploring.

I hope that's all you needed! Most any time they patch in new content, the trigger is typically 'jump to another system and you'll get a radio contact.'

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Staff achieved, friendship began with the Autophage

That third pic was a camp build in the side of a giant volcanic caldera, it was pretty :black101:

Here's my autophage cosmetic setup after grinding for those drat motes for a few days:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

5er posted:

Here's my autophage cosmetic setup after grinding for those drat motes for a few days:

nice! I wanted that poncho but accidentally bought the one that has a bottom section that looks like an extremely unflattering dress. so it's time to do some more sidequests

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

many side quests later:

Now I just have to get a better pimp stick

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lol so that's how the game deals with applying the hood to the dinner plate head.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Man, is this game always this buggy? I used to play on PS in VR so I haven't gone far, but switched to PC for 2D because it controls better.

But the bugs?
- I arrive at a space station, get out and can't talk to anyone who is not a vendor, I simply get no prompt. Go back in my ship, get back out, fixed. That happens every other space station.
- I landed my ship next to a building, get in, take off, ship goes up vertically then stops in mid air doesn't react. Quit out, come back and am inside my ship, the ship is ramming into the building over and over again and takes critical damage to components.
That one took 5 game restarts to be able to back away from the building before the ship is damaged.
- I randomly keep taking "anomalous damage" on some planets when I shoot my mining beam. Which must be a bug as well unless that's some sort of environment factor. Which seems weird because the damage is not constant and doesn't happen if I fire the beam in short bursts.

Alls this in one play session.
Plus some major graphical bug where the entire screen flickered as soon as I look in one direction, which wasn't too bad because it solved itself as soon as flew somewhere else on that planet.

Still managed to accidentally play until 5 am. This game is absolutely my jam and I see myself sinking so many hours into it in 2D on top of 3D.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 2, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The game can be buggy, but I've never had any of those bugs before, and those sound more severe than the ones I have run into.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I got the no interaction on space stations one too briefly during the expedition - unfortunately, expeditions do sometimes introduce buggy behavior. Getting your ship caught in architecture is also just sort of a thing, you really don't want to get so you're bumping into things when you're flying or you run the danger of clipping through and getting stuck inside something 'til you smash yourself to pieces against its internal architecture. It most often comes up with a capital ship in space combat for me, but I've even clipped through space stations once or twice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The game can be buggy, but I've never had any of those bugs before, and those sound more severe than the ones I have run into.

I haven’t either and I’ve played a million hours.

I’ve had like one crash to desktop and a few times space station NPCs will repeat their dialogue instead of teaching me a word.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cool, the corrosive blood step of the expedition is bugged so it won't register no matter how many appropriate creatures you scan.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think in all the time I've played NMS I've had like maybe - three crashes, and a couple of weird base-segment interactions, and everything else has worked fine. Though I haven't played for long compared with some folk.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Most of my random buggy bullshit has involved multiplayer, otherwise it's been pretty stable for me. It's possible that if I had some very long play sessions I might crash, but in this day and age I assume that even the best-coded games are going to run into memory leaks if I leave them running too long without quitting.

Between my and others' anecdotes, and the game's general reputation, leads me to suspect some of those bugs might be the context for the game, rather than the game itself. Stick of RAM needs to be replaced (or, computer just needs more RAM)? Drivers out of date? Some other process in the background on the computer being a little too selfish with resources? Computer hasn't been restarted in a month?

Hard to say, but if you haven't already done so, throw some general Tech Support 101 at your computer as a whole and see if anything sticks. Not a bad practice in its own right, whether or not it resolves anything with NMS specifically.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I thought so myself but it's a well kept gaming rig, never in sleep mode always properly shut down. All drivers updated, system checks OK.
Also, no issues in any other games. I did play 4 hours of mulitplayer NMS last wednesday without issue, and single player before as well, so I suspect the expedition is the problem, maybe too many player son space stations too many shops around or something. It was rather crowded all the time.

Not a deal breaker though, game is still amazingly fun, even though I don't understand hakf the mechanics yet.
I met some huge space squid I hyperspace and it asked me random questions I a dream. Now I have a space squid in my fleet apparently, no idea what that means or does but it looks cool.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah expeditions will often get a bit buggy and crashy compared to the base game. Turning off multiplayer usually sorts it.

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
I had that anomalous damage thing early in the expedition. I wasn't sure if it was a bug, or a new weird feature since I was mining on a dissonant world, but it kept happening on other planets. Exiting and restarting seems to have made it go away, but not before nearly killing me repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I've been attempting to build staffs constructed from three of the same themed components. So far I've completed two. I forget which one the crystal is, but the second one is "Havok"

I wish I had more multi-tool slots, I'd like to have a full set.