Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

It's practically an Ace Combat mission in the best way. :3:

Rusty makes any mission he appears in at least 50% more Ace Combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Third ending spoiler: Men would rather become AI hive minds than go to therapy.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

drat this game is awesome. its got that lightning quick dash which lets you know its gonna be good

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How much does going lighter than the limit affect AC maneuvrability? I always go to the limit but apparently you can go lighter and get huge improvements to all boost varieties?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Cleared the shop out! Took about me about 52 hours to do everything except all S-ranks. I think I'll play around with all of the presets I unlocked from the arena and redo missions to go for at least an A rank in everything.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, it turned out to look scarier than it actually was. Still a bit reminiscent of the first NG++ new mission, being a bit of an endurance check.

Anyway, :toot:

hell yeah grats, 3rd ending boss owns

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Well my crummy MT build can't hold up much in PvP, but that might be more of a points thing. The giant grenade cannon staggers so easily though, you just have to be aiming down, and the giant blast radius takes care of the rest.

MT did defeat the sea spider on the third try though, doubt it'll make it past chapter 4 boss though. The small gun is too weak, and the big guns are too slow. The 10 shot missile bay is carrying this thing.

The NEST needs some more game modes. It really could use a co-op adventure mode too. Verdict Day had some good ideas but terrible online lobbies and poorly thought out event triggers.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Okay so since I've finished NG and am now on NG+... can you lock yourself out of paths by making decisions? My first ending was Liberator of Rubicon but now missions are changing and I'm getting, e.g. offers from RLF to kill the Redguns on the Dam mission and so like of course I'm gonna take that shot because there's loghunt data to get and also yeah let's gently caress with the timeline... but is that gonna lock me out of getting to play with the Redguns later? I don't want Michigan mad at me :shobon:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

JBP posted:

How much does going lighter than the limit affect AC maneuvrability? I always go to the limit but apparently you can go lighter and get huge improvements to all boost varieties?

It has nothing to do with being under your limit. It's just a flat system of lighter AC goes faster. You want faster, be lighter or else get a more powerful booster.

There's a Speed stat somewhere that generically depicts your speed, as you get lighter parts it'll go up.

Boosters themselves have an Ideal load stat that you should stay under. You don't have to, but going over it will affect the cooldown of your quick boosting.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

JBP posted:

That last Vaati clip had hard numbers, but the tl;dr is "not much, certainly not worth missing out on the extra firepower/defense."

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Paramemetic posted:

Okay so since I've finished NG and am now on NG+... can you lock yourself out of paths by making decisions? My first ending was Liberator of Rubicon but now missions are changing and I'm getting, e.g. offers from RLF to kill the Redguns on the Dam mission and so like of course I'm gonna take that shot because there's loghunt data to get and also yeah let's gently caress with the timeline... but is that gonna lock me out of getting to play with the Redguns later? I don't want Michigan mad at me :shobon:

You should just always choose every new option and the opposite of your NG choices so you can have all the missions and variants in your replay mission later.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ibis is kicking my rear end and it feels like there isn't anything I can do about it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

War Wizard posted:

It has nothing to do with being under your limit. It's just a flat system of lighter AC goes faster. You want faster, be lighter or else get a more powerful booster.

There's a Speed stat somewhere that generically depicts your speed, as you get lighter parts it'll go up.

Boosters themselves have an Ideal load stat that you should stay under. You don't have to, but going over it will affect the cooldown of your quick boosting.

Also even if you're over the ideal load it might still be better anyway to use. Just check the various QB stats to see if it's still worth equipping something despite being too fat for it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

CuddleCryptid posted:

Rusty shooting A Big Gun spoiler

The Ice Worm boss had some dramatic moments and I loved them.

*music swells as the worm roars, then suddenly everything cuts out suddenly*

"I won't miss"

*BOOM*

Hell yeah. A bit less so when it does it two more times, but it rocked.

personally im more fond of when he raises the output to 115% and the overflowing energy causes his radio to start glitching out. That's such a cool moment of sound design.

anyways that mission is rad as gently caress

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

personally im more fond of when he raises the output to 115% and the overflowing energy causes his radio to start glitching out. That's such a cool moment of sound design.

Everything about that mission is cool as hell IMO. The pre-mission briefing banter, the actual in-mission banter, trying to get the shot on the worm's head, everything about Rusty.

What a mission.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

"Watch out for friendly fire."

*BLAAAM!!*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bugblatter posted:

That last Vaati clip had hard numbers, but the tl;dr is "not much, certainly not worth missing out on the extra firepower/defense."

Yeah this is what I thought. I take off guns and stuff and maybe I get a negligible speed increase. I thought maybe there were some hidden stats or something I was missing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

suffered my way through the opening boss and am now hanging out in ch1 and i just want to say: bazooka

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SerSpook posted:

Ibis is kicking my rear end and it feels like there isn't anything I can do about it.

Dodging in different directions to juke the big crescent beams and then staying on top of it worked for me. It took me four tries to see all of its moves then I took it out. Kicking it or unloading everything when it stops was most important. When it was going crazy flying around or being super offensive I'd just use my bubble shield/dodge and wait for it to calm down and start my offense.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

JBP posted:

Yeah this is what I thought. I take off guns and stuff and maybe I get a negligible speed increase. I thought maybe there were some hidden stats or something I was missing.

There's probably a few things here and there, but in the end it all comes down to weight. Powerful thrusters on something that doesn't weight a bunch is gonna make you go fast.

And after trying some slow builds on and off, I can confidently say I gotta go fast.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i replayed the chapter 1 intro mission earlier to see if I could S-rank it even without the late game gear and the answer was an unequivocal yes. It turns out that, once you actually understand the game mechanics, you can rip the helicopter to shreds before it so much as gets off a single missile barrage.
also there's so many enemies that you just... don't have to kill. you can just blitz past them on the way to your objective and 90% of them will go "you know what that was? not my problem." and won't even attempt to pursue you.

Ibblebibble posted:

Everything about that mission is cool as hell IMO. The pre-mission briefing banter, the actual in-mission banter, trying to get the shot on the worm's head, everything about Rusty.

What a mission.
im so sad that replaying missions doesnt include the briefing cutscene because that one is beautiful

i love when snail is giving a very dry and serious presentation and michigan just starts yelling over the comms and drowns him out with his sheer force of personality :allears:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

JBP posted:

You do get faster by being lighter, as the other poster said, but that is separate from the tiny benefit you get for being under the limit. So, if you want to be light and fast, no need to grab legs that would hold a super heavy load. Grab light load legs that have some other benefit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

you can just blitz past them on the way to your objective and 90% of them will go "you know what that was? not my problem." and won't even attempt to pursue you.

This is honestly the most realistic thing I can think of. Some juiced up independent's custom AC just loving blew past you at full blast and maybe clapped one or two of your mates without even letting off the gas. Are you actually going to try and follow it, or are you going to find a nice, quiet hole and wait for it to leave?

I guarantee you don't get paid enough to deal with Raven. And even if you did, you wouldn't get to spend it.

Bugblatter posted:

You do get faster by being lighter, as the other poster said, but that is separate from the tiny benefit you get for being under the limit. So, if you want to be light and fast, no need to grab legs that would hold a super heavy load. Grab light load legs that have some other benefit.

The lower load legs also probably have the benefit of being lighter themselves, further contributing to your speed.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I won’t miss.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bugblatter posted:

Oh yeah my rig is as light as it gets with a big booster but I have to go FASTER

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

decided to try out the pile and lmao this thing owns when you can land a charged hit with it

Caros
May 14, 2008

SerSpook posted:

I beat it the first go round 'fair' but on ng+ I just cheeze the poo poo out of it with the dual gatling/stun needle wheelchair tank. You basically just fly right up in his craw and DPS race him down.

It is the one enemy that I just can't get a handle on. I rolled every major boss with at msot one or two restarts, and aced them on the replay, but I after 50+ attempts I can't figure out an effective strategy with my main ac design. Boss feels like a hard counter tk short range medium ac builds.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NG+ is cool, I didn't expect act 1 and 2 to actually have significant differences

SerSpook posted:

it's very bad at hitting things that are in the air. by that point in the game you should be able to fly around basically forever if you want to

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I am perpetually torn between “all the missiles” or “all the shotguns”

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I ended up gatling tanking him and I felt bad about it because he was really fun to fight in a shotgun/pilebunker speed king with 8200 AC and a QB speed of like 380+ but if he even taps you in that poo poo you gotta use a repair so I could never close phase 2. In the tank it took me a few tries too but I got him by just driving directly at him when he started to power up for his swooping bullshit.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Warmachine posted:

:allears:

The man became a hivemind because of envy. The whole time he's wrestling control from ALLMIND's collective consciousness by force of spite. The guy is a total loving "Who?" and he took offense to that.

The man gives strong IBO Ein vibes, not gonna lie.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I killed Ibis with my go to double zooka with vertical rockets and stun needle with the quad legs. Very fun fight

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finished Ch3. That was a drat good series of missions

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Last night played quite a bit and got from ice worm to Ibis series boss fight. And apparently that wasn't even the end.

That was a crazy series of missions.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I oneshot Ibis after struggling hard with the wheels because I wanted to get the item... holy gently caress is that a lot of wheels, I limped out of that area after doing them and the two quad mech things you fight for that data log on the side with 1500 ap, managed to get past the enemies, resupplied... and dunked the HELL out of Ibis with two stun launchers, the laser lance, and a flamethrower, I just got up in the mech's grill with the lance and pumped stun rounds on cooldown while burninating. went down really quick... so did my ap but I outpaced her good

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ng+ is really making me think that melee weapons are actually very bad

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

War Wizard posted:

It really could use a co-op adventure mode too.

Give me fuckin' Rusty Mode let's fuckin' gooooo give me a buddy merc gaaaameeeee

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Ibis is weak to being chainsawed in half when staggered.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

im attempting to go back and S-rank all the missions, and I've got everything at S except for 2 in chapter 1: Balteus, which is still stuck at A rank (I think because it takes me too long to clear out the first area, I keep falling off the loving buildings), and the far more annoying mission, Investigate BAWS Arsenal

who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to bring in INVISIBLE mechs who can leapfrog away from you? The ones before the boss are fine once you memorize where they're hiding, but the bastards in the boss arena will jump around if you even get close to them. I can't get higher than a B=rank because I have to play loving hide and seek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Blaziken386 posted:

im attempting to go back and S-rank all the missions, and I've got everything at S except for 2 in chapter 1: Balteus, which is still stuck at A rank (I think because it takes me too long to clear out the first area, I keep falling off the loving buildings), and the far more annoying mission, Investigate BAWS Arsenal

who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to bring in INVISIBLE mechs who can leapfrog away from you? The ones before the boss are fine once you memorize where they're hiding, but the bastards in the boss arena will jump around if you even get close to them. I can't get higher than a B=rank because I have to play loving hide and seek.

if you scan then they can't ninja smoke away from you