Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

cars are worse than diablo 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have a car greg. can ya milk me?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

sillyloquy posted:

I think you are personally responsible for climate change and probably proud of it too, fascist.

i am

jealous?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

do we hate cars less than goons hate diablo iv?!
shameful

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

jetz0r posted:

cars are worse than diablo 4

i love bobby and diablo 4

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

We'll stop posting when cars stop being bad

No, we won't.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i am

jealous?

a little

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Ham Equity posted:

No, we won't.

Yeah because they'll always be bad

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zokari posted:

how do you do 700 pages about hating cars

some days we post about bikes

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah because they'll always be bad

You say that, but when the last cars are providing a base for new coral reefs, I will finally stop posting.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I will never stop posting

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

For $200 per month, I will stop

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Haven't finished the article yet but this is really interesting and well written. Edward Abbey had it right when he said ban all cars in parks and make people walk, bike or ride horses. (I mean ban all cars everywhere but this would be a good start) Also "Windshield Wilderness" is a awesome term I hadn't heard before.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/55.9/wildlife-and-the-inescapable-impact-of-road-noise

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The idea of allowing cars in parks in the first place is so blisteringly insulting

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The idea of allowing cars in parks in the first place is so blisteringly insulting

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

raggedphoto posted:

Haven't finished the article yet but this is really interesting and well written. Edward Abbey had it right when he said ban all cars in parks and make people walk, bike or ride horses. (I mean ban all cars everywhere but this would be a good start) Also "Windshield Wilderness" is a awesome term I hadn't heard before.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/55.9/wildlife-and-the-inescapable-impact-of-road-noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0xHfFC_6n0

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can't spell parking without park!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The beauty of Yellowstone is indisputably marred by the sheer volume of traffic. They need to replace personal cars completely with an extensive shuttle system.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The beauty of Yellowstone is indisputably marred by the sheer volume of traffic. They need to replace personal cars completely with an extensive shuttle system.
It's really dumb that this isn't the norm for national parks.

Like just making people park outside and take a shuttle immediately transforms the park from a crappy highway with poo poo along it to an actual park where you can walk around and get passed by a bus every 10 minutes

Also since people would probably bring up accessibility, I think as long as you used kneeling busses or platforms or whatever that would actually massively improve a lot of national parks for people in wheelchairs because in a lot of national parks the main road is theoretically pretty scenic, but there isn't much way to actually enjoy it because of the cars (but then there are hiking trails that aren't accessible if you actually want to get out and enjoy nature), but if you eliminated personal cars suddenly you would actually be able to actually get out and enjoy the main road even if you're in a wheelchair or whatever or just don't want to go hiking

mystes has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Aug 31, 2023

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

I lived next to a a busy thoroughfare for three years and it was absolute hateful every second of the day

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There is something really cool about moving through a place like that on your own terms -- you can actually feel that original vision of traveling the open road through America's countryside. But I saw the transition between off & on seasons last year, and the on season is so crowded that it's not even the same experience. You sit in hours of traffic so that each car can slow down and get too close to a single bison.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You'll get a lot less tramplings if you eliminate private vehicles though

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There is something really cool about moving through a place like that on your own terms -- you can actually feel that original vision of traveling the open road through America's countryside. But I saw the transition between off & on seasons last year, and the on season is so crowded that it's not even the same experience. You sit in hours of traffic so that each car can slow down and get too close to a single bison.
It would probably be pretty awesome to bike through most national parks if there wasn't car traffic

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Mr. Sharps posted:

I lived next to a a busy thoroughfare for three years and it was absolute hateful every second of the day

It may have shortened your life as an added bonus!

Definitely need to watch this entire film now, thanks.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Milo and POTUS posted:

You'll get a lot less tramplings if you eliminate private vehicles though

But where will I put that baby bison that looks cold if not in the trunk of my car so I can rescue it?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

raggedphoto posted:

Definitely need to watch this entire film now, thanks.

:cheers:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BonHair posted:

This is vastly underestimating how toxic masculinity limits men from a lot of hobbies though. If you can't afford a house with a worship and a yard, a car is the safest choice probably. Not saying that's cool or good.

Also I'm gonna say that hunting is an okay hobby even if it has guns.

There is always Warhammer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've tinkered with my bike way more than I ever have with a car.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've tinkered with my bike way more than I ever have with a car.

:same:

tinkering with my car either involves getting underneath it (no thanks), lots of tools, hazardous fluids that require special disposal, or a potentially expensive and time consuming tow truck trip to my actual mechanic if I gently caress something up. and that's if it's something that doesn't require a lift or a ridiculous amount of disassembly. I will replace a battery or interior trim piece. I would rather let someone else with the space and tools replace a tire or change oil

tinkering with my bike involves much fewer tools, and if I gently caress something up I wheel it down the street to the bike shop and they shake their head and fix it for me :shobon:

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Sep 1, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

corona familiar posted:

:same:

tinkering with my car either involves getting underneath it (no thanks), lots of tools, hazardous fluids that require special disposal, or a potentially expensive and time consuming tow truck trip to my actual mechanic if I gently caress something up. and that's if it's something that doesn't require a lift or a ridiculous amount of disassembly. I will replace a battery or interior trim piece. I would rather let someone else with the space and tools replace a tire or change oil

tinkering with my bike involves much fewer tools, and if I gently caress something up I wheel it down the street to the bike shop and they shake their head and fix it for me :shobon:

Ask me how many Saturdays I've spent sitting in a mechanics shop or car dealership service center since I got rid of my car.

NoU
Dec 31, 2008
saw a post on twitter (or here) complaining about how it costs the same amount for someone to walk into a national park as it does for someone to drive in. just a display of absolute deference to cars

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

way less deadly to everyone else near you than the truck. still would be better in a crusher than on the roads.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a moral imperative to infiltrate the national park through its undefended border.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this is the train thread right

crepeface posted:

showing the entire 500km trip in 2 minutes (at 40x speed) is so cool

https://twitter.com/JRUrbaneNetwork/status/1697246082395476107?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://v.redd.it/ktk52zmj9blb1/DASH_1080.mp4

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

badass

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

crepeface posted:

this is the train thread right

we can’t have high speed trains in Colorado, it’s too mountainous

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

The Maroon Hawk posted:

we can’t have high speed trains in Colorado, it’s too mountainous

skill issue

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Decathlon was having a sale on pannier bags so I picked one up from them instead. If I have a good experience with it I'll step up to the nicer stuff later on.

A nearby municipality is having its first "car-free Sunday" this weekend and I'm raring to go - I just hope the weather cooperates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I parsed the helmet as the front bumper of a car at first and thought this was a car driver going psycho from being stuck in traffic and not a cyclist being extremely cool and extremely not in traffic.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Having just got out of Yellowstone I totally agree. It is physically large enough that shuttles could be a problem (because they'll be underfunded and implemented poorly) but I had a blast leaving my van in a faraway parking lot and biking to all the places on the west side of the park.

The shuttle system in Zion is really good, largely because it's just a straight line.