Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Per Reddit, an ini tweak to change the FOV

in Documents/MyGames/Starfield create a text file and name it "StarfieldCustom.ini"

inside the text file, add this:

[Camera]

fFPWorldFOV=100.0000
    fTPWorldFOV=100.0000

e:b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This is great so far.

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 1, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I love looking through the post histories from posters like this because you can spot the exact moment that they sold their account to some marketing firm. Which in this case was about a year ago when they stopped posting about their job and selfies and started posting upvote-baiting posts, like "a girl on tinder gave me this cat then ghosted me :( :(" (using video of the same cat that was "my roommate's cat" a year before) and "WOULD YOU GET MAD IF THEY OVERCOOKED YOUR MEDIUM RARE STEAK?! REDDITS?!", and also.... starfield fanfiction, and todd howard worship, and alerting people when fallout 4 was on sale, and expressing disappointment that starfield didn't win any awards yet.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Most frustrating thing for me is that it runs perfectly smooth (on PC) but then I get some random hitch when enemies show up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is there a point to picking up random bits and bobs? I want to believe I can turn this item called "tape" into an "adhesive" resource at some point.

Absolutely not and stop doing it. Even things worth 200 credits become worthless real quick

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

I’ve been playing for about 4 hours now across two sessions. Not a single crash, but the game is lighting my GPU on fire. I’ve got a 3090 and a 7950X3D and performance wise, my frame rate is all over the place. Most of the time it’s around 60-70FPS, but in the small outposts and stations it can go over 120 in spots and generally hangs out at over 100 FPS. Meanwhile in New Atlantis it hovers around 40-45FPS.

I’m enjoying my time so far, with the caveat that I usually enjoy Bethesda RPGs. I’m worried the planet visiting aspect is gonna get old quick though and it doesn’t really feel like I can just do my standard “wander aimlessly around the world map without touching the main quest” play style which is a bummer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gonkish posted:

Goons please tell me if you can board ships and steal all the coffee cups. I need to know.

You can.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For me its got something to do with their UI. If I use the menu system, load the game, or trigger a cut-scene there's a chance I'll soft crash. In the case of the taking off cut-scene its 100%.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

game really is too beaucoup for my shitbox. rip athlon 3000g as something to play games with, you were a great youtube video punchline.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
peak performance

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

bed full of credits, pronto

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I fought my way to Brogan, passed all the persuasion checks to get him to stand down. Then out of reflex I immediately shotgunned him and his two cronies. Did I get the double xp? Who knows! Bethesda :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
greetings captain CHUNGUS

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

BULBASAUR posted:

I have good performance with a 3800x and 4090, but I'm soft crashing like crazy

I had to turn my XMP profiles off on my system to fix my stability issues, but I'm running an Intel based system

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Wait, hol up. If I get the deluxe edition today I only get one day of early access (ie. the 5th?)

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

It's definitely a very strange thing to be doing if your character is not someone with the background in it. My chick's a science nerd, she's probably not the type to hear "Some guys are making trouble" and decide her first response is to track them down and kill them. Feel like what they should have done is for Lin to tell you "Listen those pirates will probably come back for another round, if you could track down their boss it might throw them into disarray" and let you either warp straight to Alpha Centauri (Thus skipping the tutorial) or go deal with the pirates.

Realizing when I landed at Jameson that it's jungly. Todd really said "You people won't SHUT UP about Cyrodiil being a jungle, fine! Here's your god drat jungle!"

apparently if you don't pick up the gun in the first fight , the pirates aren't automatically aggro'd on Kreet. I assume you could just talk up to Brogan for the dialogue out at that point

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's the low gravity that made me fat not all the space Cheetos I eat

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

You can.

GOTY. All the years.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
After a few hours in it's pretty much what I expected - slightly more polished Bethesda-core. It's fun enough. But not being able to do any meaningful space exploration with my ship is a bummer to me. I"m not sure I'm even gonna bother spending a lot of time trying to customize it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The game defaults to high graphical settings for my PC, but performance out of the gate is baaaaad. Can't turn the camera too quickly without it staggering to a halt for a few seconds, and the sounds, dialogue and music will just stop. Entire line deliveries get eaten and/or then the facial animation plays in silence.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Seriously, I can sweep through a room, everything looks great and runs fast, and then some enemies show up and it pauses..

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Intro is kinda disjointed even for a Bethesda game. Hey Mr Miner you passed out near this weird thing so here's my ship and I'm just gonna be a miner instead of an explorer. See ya!

Shoulda been about you breaking out of space prison.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

haven't done much combat yet outside the initial outpost in tutorial, but so far haven't had any stutters or performance issues at all. currently poking through every nook and cranny of new atlantis on ultra at 4k (with FSR set to 75% scale)

load times seem quite good as well. pretty pleased with performance. graphically, the game is hit and miss. the exteriors of new atlantis look a bit rough, especially the plants. interiors and the ships have looked pretty nice though.

no local map for cities and outposts is wack

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Seems like Bethesda game through and through, so far. Performance has been good on a 7800x3d + 4090 @ 3440 x 1440, haven't encountered any massive frame drops yet. I haven't really gotten around to exploring New Atlantis that much so we'll see how that goes.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Lmao, on the first moon you see a ship touch down near where you are. I guess you are supposed to interact with the crew but they got stuck under their ship outside and it was impossible to talk to them. So I could just walk inside and steal everything including the stuff from the captain's safe and nobody said anything. There were like 3 people looking at me while I was doing it. 100% pure uncut Bethesda jank, love it.

And the performance on my 3060ti kinda sucks, had to turn it down to medium :<

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A lot of the game loot feels like looting this and I like it.

The game show a future humanity, and they have new technologies and items we don't know or understand. Is the type of culture shock I want from a sci-fi game.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

barnold posted:

curious how far people managed to get in the ship simulator test once they got to New Atlantis. I tried a few times and kept getting obliterated at tier 5. I did my best to avoid lock ons but those ships tore me up

They're level 46 ships lol, no idea what the intended way to beat them is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/166wl2j/you_can_travel_between_planets_and_also_land/

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 1, 2023

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I played some No Man's Sky the past couple days and it's really jarring going from that to this lol

For me is having the planet in front of me, and not being able to just move forward to land.

I don't need air travel, or piloting. Just show me a menu with a choice where to land. Don't make me open a menu and land using a menu. The game abandon the premise of piloting a ship way too easier, when they could have tried a compromise.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have got to hand it to them. Bethesda has really put the time and effort in to make the worst inventory management system of 2023. Also, I am really loving when a enemy is hiding behind a desk and I can see his head but the magical hitbox of the desk keeps me from doing damage.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Tei posted:

For me is having the planet in front of me, and not being able to just move forward to land.

I don't need air travel, or piloting. Just show me a menu with a choice where to land. Don't make me open a menu and land using a menu. The game abandon the premise of piloting a ship way too easier, when they could have tried a compromise.

Check link above

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

You'd think Bethesda would have developed technology to make random NCPs shut the gently caress up when you're in an important conversation.

Questgiver: "Let me tell you about the nature of the assignment. You need to infiltrate the base through a small passage in the-"

Guard: "I GOT MY EYE ON YOU, STAY OUT OF TROUBLE"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tei posted:

A lot of the game loot feels like looting this and I like it.

The game show a future humanity, and they have new technologies and items we don't know or understand. Is the type of culture shock I want from a sci-fi game.

Speaking of great new technologies, have they added... the product in question, yet? Or is it coming out in the first DLC?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

You'd think Bethesda would have developed technology to make random NCPs shut the gently caress up when you're in an important conversation.

Questgiver: "Let me tell you about the nature of the assignment. You need to infiltrate the base through a small passage in the-"

i think at this point they've realized that the viral marketing potential of some potentially bizarre unscripted interaction is worth the occasional casual immersion breaking oddity

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Man Bethesda, the character creation screen is still awful since the oblivion days. Why are options locked to a slider instead of previewing the selections. Like when changing hair color, why not show all of the colors? Feels so off putting having to move the slider left to right to view

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 1, 2023

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rabid Snake posted:

Man Bethesda... still awful since the oblivion days

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Thom12255 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/166wl2j/you_can_travel_between_planets_and_also_land/

wtf?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DaveKap posted:

PC keybinding trip report:
For the most part, it's a pretty slick interface with a lot of options to make it fully customizable. However, I found a nasty bug already! I typically use an extra mouse key for "interact" and it turns out that changing the binding of "activate" in this game means you can no longer loot ships in space, as any binding other than default (even then, I'm not really sure because I forget what the default was and I'm afraid to hit the default button to reset all the work I did) despite the tutorial even saying the key will work... doesn't. I know that I am able to loot the thing I'm supposed to because if I pick up my controller and try, it does it just fine.
So basically, either nobody at Bethesda thought to actually try playing with a different set of keybindings and made it into space to loot something or someone de-prioritized what I would call a game breaking bug.

Just extra info people might want: Solid 60+ FPS on a Ryzen 9 3900X, RTX 3080, everything at high, resolution at 100%, upscaling off, game is running off an M2 PCIe SSD.
Just in case anyone else rebound their activate key and is confused why they can't loot in space, I figured it out.
The tutorial is lying to you. It tells you to simply use your activate key, but that isn't correct. You're supposed to use your "select target" key to select the loot target and then the select target key also ends up being your "take item" key and your "Ship Action 1" binding is the detailed transfer key.

Something got mixed up between the tutorial devs and the keybinders on this one. So glad I figured it out.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 1, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Well, You clearly weren't staying out of trouble. What was the guard meant to do, just ignore your villainous base infiltrating ways???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

Check link above

Thom12255 posted:

OOH!.. this could surelly speedup things a lot. Thanks for the tip!