Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

canyoneer posted:

Good thing there's a video, otherwise the insurance inspector would have nothing left to go on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Guys I am excited for Skyrim in Space. Like unreasonably so. I want to kill space bandits and collect space loot and visit space towns. :allears:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Im sorry, but this game is actually going to be Fallout in Space. Please adjust your expectations accordingly.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

in space there is no falling, or out, to speak of

no skies, no rims, either

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yea, my ship's toilet rim.

Any word on how in-depth we can go with the spaceship's plumbing system?

Zokari posted:

im sure someone's already working on this mod, don't worry

Mr. Pool posted:

I can't wait to hit a Patrol ship with the "Dave Matthews Band"

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

just leaving the entire contents of your ship's waste management tanks at the exit of a wormhole/gate

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

spookykid posted:

just leaving the entire contents of your ship's waste management tanks at the exit of a wormhole/gate

Dial random coordinates and dump it in, what's the worst that could happen?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

spookykid posted:

haveblue posted:

Dial random coordinates and dump it in, what's the worst that could happen?

It falls right through the Einstein-Rosen bridge and onto a passing tour cruise starship obviously.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Captain Monkey posted:

Is it.. loss..?

Sir Lemming posted:

“Nobody else wants to talk about this, but a miscarriage is a very sad thing, very very sad, probably the saddest. Some even say it's harder on the woman than on the man, I don't know about that, some people are saying it. I once had a man come up to me, tough looking guy, right out of central casting, and he said Sir, sir, and he just became a sad depressed sack of tears. And it was terrible, so sad."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fornax Disaster posted:

You want to make radical changes to people’s lives against their will, expect some pushback.

PT6A posted:

I will radically change your life, bitch. I will form an army of dogs to poo poo in your yard. I will rip down your house with my bare hands and build three high-rises upon the land. And, wait for it... while I'm doing that, I will trans your kids. I will trans your wife. I will make you live in a goddamn bunker with your trans husband and kids. Furthermore, the neighbours in the high-rises? They'll be immigrants; oh my, yes, they'll all be from some place that isn't here. I will personally ensure they speak languages you can't understand, and when they speak those languages, every second word will be derisive to you and you'll never know; only suspect. They will have skin colors that are not your own. Then, and only then, will I be satisfied. I lust for your misery; it sustains me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tree Bucket posted:

I assume there is a rich backstory as to why this guy goes to such lengths to fetch a delicious snack. The lore is flavor

Jabberlock posted:

No, the lore is lava.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

That's the joke they were trying to make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Well don't punish them for it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

nrook posted:

I was reading Herodotus recently, and came upon him talking about Herakles in Egypt:

The Landmark Herodotus posted:

Now to turn again to Herakles, I have heard it said that he was one of the twelve Egyptian gods, but about the other Herakles, the one known to the Hellenes, I was unable to learn anything anywhere in Egypt. Moreover, the fact is that the Egyptians did not take the "name of Herakles" from the Hellenes, but the Hellenes (that is, those Hellenes who established the name of Herakles as the son of Amphitryon) took it from the Egyptians; this can be demonstrated by many proofs, especially by the fact that both parents of Herakles, Amphitryon and Alkmene, were of Egyptian descent... The Egyptians do, however, recognize a certain Herakles, a god of great antiquity; as they themselves say, it was 17,000 years prior to the reign of Amasis when their number of gods expanded from eight to twelve to include Herakles among them.

And then he goes on for several paragraphs talking about Herakles in Egypt. (There's an interesting dynamic here where he seems to recognize two Herakles, one the hero and one the Olympian; I think this was a popular way of looking at the figure at the time, though I haven't read enough to confirm that.)

I am not a big Egypt scholar, but I was not aware Herakles was one of the major Egyptian gods. Herodotus does not seem to simply be saying that he thinks one of the major Egyptian gods is Herakles (as he does talking about Zeus and Ammon, for example); he seems to be arguing that the name Herakles itself comes from Egypt. Anyone have any idea what he could be talking about, or what he could be meaning and I could be misunderstanding?

[several posts on the topic later]

Scarodactyl posted:

Herodotus and the Names of Egyptian Gods by Richmond Lattimore posted:

The Egyptian Heracles is still more troublesome. It is not clear which Egyptian god the name stands for. He is not even the same as the Greek Heracles, for he is one of the "twelve gods" while the Greek is a hero born of a mortal mother (ii. 43). Now this means that here, at least, Herodotus did not call by the name "Heracles" an Egyptian god who seemed, under an Egyptian name, to be the same as the Greek hero; for he obviously saw that they were not the same. The name is the link. There cannot, in fact, be any other explanation of this identification than that Herodotus believed that the Egyptian was actually called Heracles and that it was an Egyptian name is admitted by Wiedemann and Wells as well as by others,' though not by Legrand or Linforth ; but this is to admit that, in at least one case, an Egyptian god-name did come to the Greeks, who gen-
erally failed to recognize it as such. If Herodotus thought Heracles was an Egyptian name, he might also have thought that other gods in Egypt were called Aphrodite, Ares, Athene, Hephaestus, Hermes, Leto, Selene, Typhon, for the simple and excellent reason that his informants, priests of Hephaestus25 or others, gave him only their Greek equivalents and, out of kindness to the stranger, never burdened him with Neith, Ptah, and Thoth
So, in conclusion, :shrug:
Maybe he watched Stargate and thought Her'ur sounded similar?

PittTheElder posted:

Now I'm sad there was never a Kevin Sorbo Hercules episode of Stargate. Sure Sorbo is an rear end in a top hat but that would have been pretty funny.

Lady Radia posted:

i guess you could say you're DIS-A-PPOINT-ED?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ok, LAB, unpack that one

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

If you mean the Herodotus stuff, I shall not. If you mean you don’t catch the reference then Subjunctive I am afraid that I am also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

disappointed. :colbert:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I just listened to a recent episode of a podcast (that focuses on debunking Ancient Aliens claims) that went into a lot of interesting detail on the myths and legends about Hercules, and why there were so many local groups in the ancient world that got super into him as a mythic figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfIG827L2xo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hercules nutz

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
testicles

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

LMAO

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

:frog: peasoup is stored in the balls :frog:

Chubby Henparty has a new favorite as of 13:00 on Aug 31, 2023

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Bophades

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

pencilhands posted:

i apologize for my previous post itt

Klyith posted:

what about all the rest of them?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Likades

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:vincefrog: Whats the difference between LOWTAX'S mom and PROSTITUTE :vincefrog:

LOWTAXPART2LOL posted:

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE AHHAHAHAH!!!!!!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Moral of the story:
LOWTAX... has a MOM! who's a 'HOOKER'!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Chintu did Lowtax.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Blue Moonlight posted:

IMPOUNDED IN THE BUTT BY BIG GOVERNMENT OVERREACH INTO THE CARE AND FEEDING OF MY rear end (NOT MY BUTT MY rear end LIKE THE ANIMAL)

From Two-Time Hugo Award Finalist Chuck Tingle

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The post which inspired that also deserves a repost here

SubponticatePoster posted:

Back when I worked animal control, there was an area under our jurisdiction in the unincorporated county. It used to be absolutely in the middle of nowhere, but as the population's grown urban sprawl caught up with it. It started off as a mining town and was pretty raucous back in the day, and it still has a strong mix of suburban/rural flavor where there'll be a new subdivision butted up against a house that has a bunch of horses/cows/sheep/random livestock in the backyard. "Downtown" has some businesses and one of them is a bar.

There was a lady who would ride her donkey down to the bar, tie it to a parking meter and then go in and proceed to get completely shitfaced. When she'd had enough she would go get on the donkey which would dutifully take her home. Nobody had a problem with this particular aspect. I guess technically she could have been cited for being drunk in public but afaik there were no statutes regarding being drunk on a riding animal and because the place has a lot of horse property seeing someone riding down a major street was not an unusual sight. The real problem was that the lady was a severe alcoholic and would leave the donkey tied up for hours in direct sun on hot pavement where it couldn't move to shade. In addition it would poo poo on the sidewalk. So we would get complaints about poor Eeyore taking big donkey shits where people could step on it and also being overheated and thirsty. We'd have to stick our head into the bar and yell at the lady to take the donkey home. Because she was an alcoholic she resented these intrusions into her drinking time so she'd get super salty and yell at us until we threatened to impound him and then she'd finally call it a day. Also because she was an alcoholic she spent all her money on booze so the donkey wasn't well kept. He had pasture to graze in the summer, but needed farrier work and probably a severe deworming or twelve.

After a few incidences of her neglecting to tie him up so he wandered into the road and also his condition deteriorating we finally impounded him when he was in a store parking lot. She couldn't afford the citation and impound fees so we convinced her to relinquish him in exchange for us dropping the charges and we got him rehomed :unsmith: . For a good long while after that she had a giant sign in her yard saying ANIMAL CONTROL STOLE MY rear end.

tl:dr Getting a DUI on a horse is bullshit if you aren't riding it into a dangerous situation and is much safer than driving if you can't get an Uber when it knows the way home.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

History Comes Inside! posted:

I will never understand why you’d willingly upload evidence of yourself being a total loving moron to the internet

Whooping Crabs posted:

And yet you continue to post

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

a classic goon conundrum

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
...and after a quick detour through the tingleverse

Soul Dentist posted:

POUNDED IN THE ABYSS BY MY OWN COSMIC HORROR

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Unrelated

Powered Descent posted:

"My god, it's full of czars"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

FreudianSlippers posted:

Jimmy Buffet was the Afroman of his generation in that he made a fun but lyrically sad song about how his addiction was ruining his life and it got wildly popular.

Main difference was that Afroman didn't open up a chain restaurant to cash in.

rodbeard posted:

Well he was going to but

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

…the police broke down his door?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No, he blew out his flip flop.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

big trivia FAIL posted:

my son broke his tibia and fibula 2 months ago doing that at a trampoline park. he still can't walk.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I'm sure he'll bounce back

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

SardonicTyrant posted:

i approach learning new language by not learning the language first. Instead I learn about the culture of native speakers first.

Like, for example, armored core 6 is a game made by japanese devs FromSfot. You play a faceless character called 621, you can upgrade your machines with various parts from different corps. Dafeng, Balim, Arquebus, Redguns, and Baws, and your starting gear made by someone else.

621 is a japanese number pun. It roughly translates to Six Paths, in other words the six paths of buddhist thought. All the corps represent classical chinese elements. Dafeng is wood, Arquebus is metal, etc. The last fight of chapter one depends on you understanding enough of the game to build a balanced armored core to handle two very different boss fights at once. You can switch parts between each fight but to me the game wants you to learn to build a core that will let you beat bosses with no effort on your part, which is a concept in zen buddhism. And you can actually do that without number crunching by observing who made what part and their position along the classical element axis.

to me, learning a language is less about, syntax, and more about trying to engage with other people, in ways they can understand, and the rest follows.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

621, I got a job for you. This one’s personal. Kill every single person in that thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Uhm, no. It's a goroawase for 'merciless' (mu-ji-hi).

E: Six Paths is rokudou, and there is no reading that can make it work for 621.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Sep 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Uhm, no. It's a goroawase for 'merciless' (mu-ji-hi).

E: Six Paths is rokudou, and there is no reading that can make it work for 621.

You have to read it with your heart.