Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
What about X4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Starfield just looks so aggressively mediocre. Especially coming out next to so many amazing releases this year. I guess had too much hope that Bethesda might have heard that Video Games are allowed to be good again.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

deep dish peat moss posted:

It has "Over 1,000 planets to explore" but they are all procgen wastelands, very few of them have PoIs to explore beyond "a tiny prefab house with some space bandits in it" and all of the PoIs are marked on your map as you approach the planet. On top of that there's instantaneous fast travel to anywhere you want to go, so when you land on a planet you just click on one of the pre-marked PoIs, clear the bandits, then open your map and click on the next one. Roughly 10% of those planets are randomly selected to have flora and fauna on them but beyond that they are functionally identical to the others. There are 4 hand-crafted cities and roughly 15 hours worth of main story content.

Sounds like I'd hate it.

Can't wait to pick it up so I can post about it.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Remember, the way to tell the difference is that Outer Wilds has an I in it, because its fans are Insufferable.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Starfield looks great I love all the netimmerse games and in 5 years will be excited to get the VR version of this on sale for like $30 and install mods that make everything perfect for my first playthrough and then do my traditional 2nd playthrough where everyone is a naked girl.

But by all means keep complaining as hard as you can because forum complaints are like the Jira tickets of the modding world.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
the modding world

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

*in extremely paul weller voice* this is the modding world!

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Internet Old One posted:

Starfield looks great I love all the netimmerse games and in 5 years will be excited to get the VR version of this on sale for like $30 and install mods that make everything perfect for my first playthrough and then do my traditional 2nd playthrough where everyone is a naked girl.

But by all means keep complaining as hard as you can because forum complaints are like the Jira tickets of the modding world.

So immersive!! *ducks to avoid giant swinging VR futa dick*

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

dsf posted:

By the time I buy this there will be a ton of chatgpt futa companions. It’s an exciting time to be alive.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Duck and Cover posted:

I could see someone liking Outer Wilds but that game isn't for me. Maybe I'll watch somebody else play at some point.

We watched Baalorlord play through it (because we are huge SlaytheSpire and Wilds fans) and it was really good. Then he tried the DLC and was like "gently caress this, this is my worst stream and no one is even watching and this sucks." We still haven't gotten the DLC despite being in love with OW.

It's like if Da Vinci said, "hey, I painted the Mona Lisa, now I want to sell you a new copy but she's wearing a hat!"

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

dsf posted:

why would you try to avoid it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I hadn't kept up with the Starfield prerelease hype at all so I assumed it was mostly just oriented around it being the next Fallout/Skyrim with a space setting. But apparently the marketing campaign is just straight up the No Man's Sky campaign with fewer cryptic pauses about the multiplayer? People are still getting hyped about the "thousands of world! be anything you want!" premise? That genre was already perfected by Will Wright's Spore, Starfield is just redundant.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

We've made a space game with thousands of unique* worlds to explore!

* world may consist of a perfect sphere with a randomly tinted rock and skybox texture.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Serephina posted:

Civ6 might still be the best, but only when taking the product as a whole. There's been a ton of cool 4X entries over the years (The Endless series in particular are my favorite) who are poking holes in various parts of Firaxis's product, and hopefully the next wave of 4X's will assemble some of the better mechanics together.

...Not the current wave tho, they all went the Paradox grand-narrative-strategy route and all flopped for it. Deservedly.

I'm really not a fan of Civ 6, it's riddled with the same bugs with the spawning, AI pathing, and unit alterness detection/end-of-turn problems it had at launch. Except now it has more bugs.

imo Civ 4 is the pinnacle of the series, but it's also quite punishing. Civ 5 isn't quite as good, but I play it more often because 1) it installs faster than a game from 2006 with hard write-to-drive chokepoints coded into the installer and 2) it's harder to accidentally go into a death spiral in the midgame

The Moon Monster posted:

People are still getting hyped about the "thousands of world! be anything you want!" premise?

the wool came off too soon, players are starting to notice that there are thousands of worlds to "explore," but in practice, the actual exploration consists of fast-traveling to the planet's orbit and then floating around at a specific fixed distance that you can neither approach nor exit from. you can't land, and you can't leave the gravity well without fast travel. tim hogworth :effort:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 1, 2023

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I think gaming would improve a lot if gamers stopped expecting the next game to be the one that they'll be able to play FOREVER and it would improve even more if game companies stopped taking advantage of that expectation

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Civ 6 was and will always be garbage they need someone who can make a coherent AI in the mix for 7 or it's going to suck hard too

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Civilization 2* is the pinnacle of the series :colbert:

*Civilization Revolutions 2, that is. Fight me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ok ok I'm willing to give you Civ 2, I never got to play that much of it but I remember it being great. Alpha Centauri was pretty good too but last time I played it didn't properly render fog of war, so you couldn't "really" know what tiles you had vision on. Caused me lots of problems with some respawning AI faction, but this is just me needing to learn the rules better.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
This acceptance of Civ 6 will not stand. Even Beyond Earth was better than 6.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Civ rev best civ. Not tryna micromanage my armies food allocation budget ot w/e

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I tried playing No Man's Sky last night and I will never understand why some devs just put random math puzzles in games without even dressing them up as some kind of diagetic puzzle.

"I found a broken transponder for a distress beacon! If I can figure out it's encryption algorithm I can find out where the distress beacon originated.

1, 2, 6, 24, 120, ...
What number comes next in this sequence?"

Some real high-security encryption there, Math Blaster.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 1, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is "uninstall" a number?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Makes me sad for ppl who can't see that civ6 is the best civ

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Drunk Nerds posted:

Civ rev best civ. Not tryna micromanage my armies food allocation budget ot w/e

Civ Rev was legit fun and I generally like all the Civ games

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I've tried to get into No Mans sky like 5 different times, but nope, it just doesn't do anything for me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

tango alpha delta posted:

I've tried to get into No Mans sky like 5 different times, but nope, it just doesn't do anything for me.

The most boring game I've ever played and I played (and sometimes still play) final fantasy XI

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The best Civ game remains Alpha Centauri to this day, and it's not even close.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

tango alpha delta posted:

I even tried playing it in VR and it still sucks but the main most incomprehensible thing about it to me is how strictly it adheres to "you have to click and hold your mouse button for a full second to interact with anything, even menu items"

It's very extremely clearly a videogame designed by people who don't play videogames.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I even tried playing it in VR and it still sucks but the main most incomprehensible thing about it to me is how strictly it adheres to "you have to click and hold your mouse button for a full second to interact with anything, even menu items"

It's very extremely clearly a videogame designed by people who don't play videogames.

click and hold to get mineral/bear rear end/flower, click and wait for material to process. The whole game is just waiting for materials to process into higher level materials to process into gear or higher still materials.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I think gaming would improve a lot if gamers stopped expecting the next game to be the one that they'll be able to play FOREVER and it would improve even more if game companies stopped taking advantage of that expectation

FWIW I think most gamers don't have this expectation, like the kind of dude who claims to want this (and it's always a dude) is also 13 and idolizes jordan peterson

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"I would like to purchase a single video game that I play for the rest of my life" is something you might say if you receive a small weekly allowance from your parents

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

QuarkJets posted:

FWIW I think most gamers don't have this expectation, like the kind of dude who claims to want this (and it's always a dude) is also 13 and idolizes jordan peterson

Yeah, it's a young gamer impulse to want forever games, because they don't have money to get new ones all the time.

They also don't know viscerally that it's impossible and not even that desirable like a more seasoned gamer would. :agesilaus:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
That's the cool thing about getting old. Change isn't that important or alluring anymore.

Yes I have over 5k hours logged into Slay the Spire

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I prefer games that I put a lot of time into because they're open-ended and fun. Like for example I have hundreds of hours played in Rimworld and Battle Brothers. I played them consistently as the "main" game I was playing for months at a time or longer, and I've gone back to both multiple times. But the thing that makes those games special isn't that they were designed as "forever games", it's that they're designed in such a way where the game mechanics and content themselves facilitate your emergent gameplay. They're focused on fun mechanical interactions instead of hand-developed "content" like storylines or encounters. They're "forever games" in the same way that e.g. someone might enjoy playing chess consistently throughout their life, because it's different and fun every time without over-reaching its ambitions.

But anyone looking for a "forever game" in a game that relies on hand-crafted, hand-placed content to be fun (Diablo, Destiny, Starfield, etc) is going to be disappointed because it's simply not possible to create enough hand-made content to keep a gamer busy indefinitely, those games do it by incentivizing you to run the hand-crafted content over and over and that just feels gross. They become "forever games" by inserting addictive mechanics that keep you coming back when you otherwise wouldn't want to play and conditioning you to appreciate those addictive rewards.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

"I would like to purchase a single video game that I play for the rest of my life" is something you might say if you receive a small weekly allowance from your parents

There's a large crowd of middle aged men on the RSI forums who would beg to differ

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

or, alternatively, if you're a twitch streamer who has to somehow provide 8 hours of "content" every single day to maintain their income stream
and it turns out tons of young people buy games based on what their favorite streamers play

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I don't want a game to be playable forwver but id like the aaa studio with hundreds of millions of dollars to be ambitious and try new things and not endless mediocre retreads

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

abigserve posted:

I don't want a game to be playable forwver but id like the aaa studio with hundreds of millions of dollars to be ambitious and try new things and not endless mediocre retreads

the studio you are talking about has been mining content written by a former employee on a drug bender, and another companies' IP with a lot of lore written by competent people that they bought, since they got big

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

or, alternatively, if you're a twitch streamer who has to somehow provide 8 hours of "content" every single day to maintain their income stream
and it turns out tons of young people buy games based on what their favorite streamers play

That's always been the case. Before streamers were a thing we just bought what all our friends and the other kids at school were playing and talking about.

It's the same reason everyone went to the same movies. Socializing and talking about the thing you just experienced is part of the amusement for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lol about that spare code? I think I hosed up. I thought they'd just give me a steam key, but no that doesn't seem to be the case. Lol. I suppose somebody could use the freshly created amd account.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 2, 2023