Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Breetai posted:

in response to a floor butt

Sounds like maybe you're the rear end in a top hat here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

BiggerBoat posted:

I've had more than a few jobs that banned ear buds for no real reason. Many of these were kind of repetitive and had me doing tasks with very little to no interaction with other employees. If, on a rare occasion, someone needed to speak with me, I just removed them and it was no big deal at all but NOT having the option to listen to music or podcasts WAS kind of a big deal for me. Helps me pass the time and keeps me from zoning out but, usually, these companies try and say it's a safety issue, which is complete bullshit.

To me, it's a "this worker isn't suffering enough" issue.

I had one supervisor (who let me listen to earphones) tell me I could only listen to music, not "talk" or "spoken words" stuff. He claimed it would disrupt my concentration (?) but I just kept listening to what I wanted to anyway since how's he gonna know?

I had a director try this.

My response was to continue to wear headphones and listen to music whenever I felt like it.

Nobody ever said a word. He had tons of opportunities...my cube was right in front of his desk and he literally sat facing looking at me all day from an all glass office.

Probably because his three subordinate drinking buddies sat in a triangle around me and, on the RARE occasions when they weren't having an ENDLESS, MINDLESS, and extremely high volume conversation about snowboarding and midget wrestling right over my head, they had theirs in too.

I find that pretending arbitrary unwritten rules don't exist is usually the best way to handle arbitrary unwritten rules.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krustic posted:

I just wear one earbud so I can still hear a bit of my surroundings and still listen to dumb poo poo while getting stuff done. I’m sure some Lundberg might still have a problem with it but nobody cares here.

Same.

Or at least when that seemed like a good idea (more people coming and going through my area, manager walking the floor, etc.). If there was a situation where being able to hear everything was vital, I liked to think I was mature and responsible enough to recognize that and adjust accordingly. Even if we had a tour group coming through or I saw a salesperson leading a customer walkthrough, I'd set my audio feed down. Because I'm a grown man who understands optics and realize that I might be introduced or have questions put to me.

But 95% of the time, I was printing and cutting 150 yard signs or whatever - sitting at my desk setting up a print file or checking my messages - and me listening to Kyle Kinane stand up comedy or an Apocalypse Now podcast didn't affect my work at all. In fact, I'd argue it made me more productive.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Hot new thing in job searching: I'm running into a lot of jobs lately whose application platforms will literally not accept an application unless you indicate that you graduated from a specific list of universities - not even like, ivy-league or prestigious schools, just an incomplete list of international and domestic schools.

I'm indicating that I graduated from one of those schools even though I didn't because I still have a degree in the same thing, plus exceed all of their other requirements lmao

On the subject of Job Hunting: one thing I've learned about and really hate is how easy it is to word filter your way out of consideration if you put MS Office instead of MICROSOFT Office or Adobe CS instead of Adobe Creative Suite (or, now, Adobe CC rather than Adobe Creative Cloud) and I'm not sure what the answer is beyond filling your CS with every known abbreviation and acronym for any relevant software you know and now you've got the problem of clogging up your resume.

"Nope. Bigger Boat doesn't have 20 years of experience in Adobe Photo Shop. He knows something called 'Adobe PhotoShop'" and whoever set up the filter put that space in the actual software name.

"Says here he has a BFA or a B.F.A. in Illustration but we need a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree".

Or vice versa.

I KNOW it's happened because, a few times, when I got to the interview stage anyway, the person would ask me about (my lack of) experience in software I had listed but had apparently not entered correctly according to them.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 1, 2023

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It’s amazing how much HR work has been offloaded to apps and yet we still have all these HR flaks jerking each other off all day

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Don't worry, in a couple years your resume is just gonna be fed into a large language model which will spit out a sentiment and a word cloud of skills for the offshore HR drone to compare to arbitrary target metrics per requisition and you can escape the whole process by writing a secret message to the AI in 1pt font.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I KNOW it's happened because, a few times, when I got to the interview stage anyway, the person would ask me about (my lack of) experience in software I had listed but had apparently not entered correctly according to them.

Yeah I'm running into this a lot right now, where a lot of the jobs I'm applying for want someone experienced in "SMART Methodology" and others want someone experienced in "SMART Goals" and I'm keeping two copies of my resume so I can submit one based on how they listed it in the job description. Very annoying especially when job board sites like Ziprecruiter make you re-enter all your job history information manually every time you update your resume.

Also what the gently caress is this salary gatekeeping :argh:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

They're looking to see if you're clever enough to enter a large enough negative number that it underflows.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Invalid Validation posted:

I feel like doing 13+ hour shifts for 3 weeks will reduce your life span. I did 12s one week and it was miserable poo poo. You have no life. Just work eat sleep.

My first brewing job was taking over a small brewpub in Denmark that had a robust contract brewing operation, and I spent half of my year there working 100-hour weeks (about 16 hour days 6 days a week). I lost 40 pounds and was generally a wreck. I vowed after that to never work that hard or that many hours ever again, even if it's for my own business. It's just not worth destroying yourself for a job. Any time I talk to somebody about entering the brewing industry, I make a point of warning them not to get taken advantage of for their enthusiasm or dedication - that happens so often because this is seen as an "industry of passion".

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 1, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My contract is just for a few weeks.
After tasting the sweet flexibility of freelance work it would take a disaster for me to ever, as my dad says, "go captive" and work full time for one company again.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So one of the suppliers of the sheet metal frames that hold up the chambers has taken to just painting over spots of rust, which is cool, I did that with my wheelbarrow.

I mean iron oxide is basically inert, right? Couldn’t cause any problems in chip fab.

Seriously though, our chamber bodies are made of aluminum, and I did the math, certain plasma sparking operations could ignite thermite. Not enough to hurt someone, but certainly enough to ruin a $30k electrostatic chuck.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Japan there are rules about the value you can give customers for being loyal members, locked at their lifetime of 20 times the value of the first product they registered with you. Turns out if you just dont require them to register a product to be a loyal member the multiplication of 20 times 0 is infinity in Japanese law.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A year ago, I worked with engineering to make a part so that it had alternating 304 and 316 SS pipe fittings, instead of all 304, which galls if you look at it a little funny. This part was made by some dude, long quit, out of whatever he could source from the McMaster catalog.

Now they've made part V2, with a bunch of upgrades, Awesome! But they went back to all 304 pipe fittings, and my techs assembled it while I was on PTO, then galled all the fittings, but didn't realize they were galled instead of tight*.

So I got loving completely doused in hydraulic fluid when I went to pressurize it, and I'm pretty mad at engineering, and slightly less mad at my techs.

*we don't do poo poo with NPT stuff, like ever, everything we do is all bolted flanges or 37⁰ JIC fittings, except for this should-have-been-aborted piece of poo poo, that's just a support system for our product, so I get my doods not being familiar with how a good piping joint should "feel".

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

The Germans do it better:
Desired yearly income. Maximum MAXINT, Minimum -MININT

I was seriously tempted to put in -MAXINT as a joke. Clearly it would convince the system the give my application infinite value.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Noticed something odd on the shop's FB the other day, a gorgeous painting of a bonsai tree in front of a full moon, uploaded by the boss, but wait hang on... The boss hasn't been painting recently... and actually this looks all smudged and weird and is kind of low res for a photograph... And... and... Ah yes there it is on a stock website, along with the painting she posted last week. Brilliant!!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Barudak posted:

In Japan there are rules about the value you can give customers for being loyal members, locked at their lifetime of 20 times the value of the first product they registered with you. Turns out if you just dont require them to register a product to be a loyal member the multiplication of 20 times 0 is infinity in Japanese law.

Barudak: human life is worthless.

Shoehead posted:

Noticed something odd on the shop's FB the other day, a gorgeous painting of a bonsai tree in front of a full moon, uploaded by the boss, but wait hang on... The boss hasn't been painting recently... and actually this looks all smudged and weird and is kind of low res for a photograph... And... and... Ah yes there it is on a stock website, along with the painting she posted last week. Brilliant!!

You should approach her concerned that some stick website is stealing her paintings and making money off her hard work.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol, lmao

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ravus Ursus posted:

Barudak: human life is worthless.

You should approach her concerned that some stick website is stealing her paintings and making money off her hard work.

lol

I nearly lost it there with her, she was making fun of a client for coming for aftercare kind of late, of course that's messed up on it's own, but it's only so late because she refused to help the woman while I was at the loving hospital with someone that it hasn't been sorted already.

I can't remember if it was itt or just the piercing thread I mentioned it, but I'm working on going full time renting space in a friend's shop, I can't wait to be out of here

E: oh yeah and I got my desk back in work... technically. She took it from me after I added a new piercing to my list, but then all my coworkers quit and I just took one of theirs :unsmith:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 1, 2023

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I had an interview with HR for an internal promotion that I never applied for. I'm not sure that I'll get it, especially considering that I didn't know I was going to be interviewed, so I showed up as I usually do to a virtual meeting in my usual clothes with my hair in braided buns on top of my head and no makeup on, and had no idea how to answer the questions.

With that said, that's also how I got my last three promotions, so who the hell even knows.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

With that last post said: I feel, pretty constantly, like I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing at work.

I also sound really loving confident by default, but I keep getting bonuses and promotions, I am training people as part of my job every day, and I implemented a new high velocity sales program into production with the help of both internal and external sales that everyone on the sales teams are happy with, and management gets to put their good news number go up in spreadsheet every week.

I passed every license test in one try and I don't believe that money is even real (money is fake and it's all made up, money is bullshit, do not trust money or people that have it). I am a god damned license and professional designation katamari I guess.

I loving don't even know how.

I'm just adding titles and "accomplishments" to my resume so when they find out I'm a loving idiot that doesn't have a degree in this poo poo (I was very up front about not having a degree in this poo poo and they still hired me, vOv) I'll be able to parachute out to an even bigger title and maybe more actual money this time.

What the gently caress is this job??? Is this failing upwards???

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Randy Travesty posted:

With that last post said: I feel, pretty constantly, like I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing at work.

I also sound really loving confident by default, but I keep getting bonuses and promotions, I am training people as part of my job every day, and I implemented a new high velocity sales program into production with the help of both internal and external sales that everyone on the sales teams are happy with, and management gets to put their good news number go up in spreadsheet every week.

I passed every license test in one try and I don't believe that money is even real (money is fake and it's all made up, money is bullshit, do not trust money or people that have it). I am a god damned license and professional designation katamari I guess.

I'm just adding titles and "accomplishments" to my resume so when they find out I'm a loving idiot that doesn't have a degree in this poo poo (I was very up front about not having a degree in this poo poo and they still hired me, vOv) I'll be able to parachute out to an even bigger title and maybe more actual money this time.

Are you me?!

I realised a while ago that most people don't have a clue, but that just made me feel more anxious that someone will recognize it from themselves in me. I am very open about it.

Got my third promotion in as many years in July, and now I am just saving as much as I can for when they find me out.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TaurusTorus posted:

So one of the suppliers of the sheet metal frames that hold up the chambers has taken to just painting over spots of rust, which is cool, I did that with my wheelbarrow.

I mean iron oxide is basically inert, right? Couldn’t cause any problems in chip fab.

Seriously though, our chamber bodies are made of aluminum, and I did the math, certain plasma sparking operations could ignite thermite. Not enough to hurt someone, but certainly enough to ruin a $30k electrostatic chuck.

I'm confused as to what your frames and chamber bodies are actually made of. Welding steel to aluminum is kind of a pain and I don't know of any industry that would be cool with bolting them together without some sort of plastic/nylon spacer.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

“Please do this”

No, that needs special approval, get approval then we’ll talk

-a week passes-

“Please do this”

No, I told you last week that needs special approval, get approval then we’ll talk

I get an angry email from their management team 5 minutes later demanding to know why I’m refusing to *task*, except their interpretation of what’s being asked for is entirely different to what I’ve actually been asked to do, and even after explaining this it’s somehow still my fault that it’s been delayed because I was supposed to use my mind reading powers to know the person asking meant this other completely different thing I guess.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Mzuri posted:

Are you me?!

I realised a while ago that most people don't have a clue, but that just made me feel more anxious that someone will recognize it from themselves in me. I am very open about it.

Got my third promotion in as many years in July, and now I am just saving as much as I can for when they find me out.

Same. I don't know what the hell is going on anymore. I guess because I show up and my little teams icon only goes yellow when I go to the toilet or take lunch (I actually take my lunch now, wth) it means I'm good at job.

They found out I am fluent in a couple other languages a while back so now I get included in meetings at dick o'clock in the morning with our parent company in Japan. For face time, I guess???

Who the gently caress knows. Maybe this is imposter syndrome but like I know nothing and I am allowing myself to fail upward and forward but not so much that I would ever be liable for anything important if I can help it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

If nothing is falling over and nobody's pissed at you with just cause, you're just having classic imposter syndrome and are actually competent. Well done.

Try not to think too hard about what this means about most of your coworkers.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I haven't opened my CV in a long time. It's over 30 pages with most of that coming from stuff I did in/after grad school. gently caress I'm old.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Randy Travesty posted:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

We are asking Vendor A to help us integrate a system from Vender B into our system. We're traveling to Vendor A next week, so we shipped a Vendor B demo system to Vendor A ahead of time. Boss loves to not take inventory of anything. Vendor A sends an email saying some parts are missing. We do have another demo system from Vendor B, but boss ordered that one specifically without the parts that we are currently missing.

Fortunately Vendor B parts were in the box. We left them with Vendor A.

Boss also ordered parts from Vendor C to test with parts from Vendor B. We don't have the parts from Vendor B to test. Doesn't really matter because the wrong parts from Vendor C were ordered, completely incompatible. So we ordered the correct parts from Vendor C.

I think this all on purpose and my boss is sabotaging the project.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How much money are they burning on this poo poo? We talking little generic parts or custom hardware?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

zedprime posted:

Don't worry, in a couple years your resume is just gonna be fed into a large language model which will spit out a sentiment and a word cloud of skills for the offshore HR drone to compare to arbitrary target metrics per requisition and you can escape the whole process by writing a secret message to the AI in 1pt font.

This is the solution right here. Fill the resume with small invisible keywords to make sure you spelled PhotoShop the correct way.

You know, like how people used to try and cheat at Google searches by filling an invisible element with a ton of keywords.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Machai posted:

This is the solution right here. Fill the resume with small invisible keywords to make sure you spelled PhotoShop the correct way.

You know, like how people used to try and cheat at Google searches by filling an invisible element with a ton of keywords.

uuuuuuuugggghhhhhhhh I hate that this actually sounds like a good idea

Motherfuck I do not want to SEO my resume

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's already basically at that stage. You're trying to meet the pass state of an automatic filter you do not know the parameters for. Load it with keywords and variations, try not to go overboard and scare off the eventual human reader.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

White font, size 1. The robot will find it. The people will not.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

How much money are they burning on this poo poo? We talking little generic parts or custom hardware?

Not really generic but it is COTS. Probably a few thousand dollars on parts so far, a rounding error. But countless engineering hours. The whole thing is a waste of time that has no chance to succeed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ravus Ursus posted:

White font, size 1. The robot will find it. The people will not.
Depends, most of those systems will scrape into plain text and for a human working in the system it will make the text available before any prompt to download the original. Whether the (often offshore) analyst cares when mainlining all the positive results for validation is a different question but I can tell you one thing a large language model can not do is care.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Might work as long as they don't get a raw text dump displayed in the easy reading formatting of their choice.

I do that with a lot of docs when I don't feel like staring at screens of black text on a white page all day.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cyrano4747 posted:

uuuuuuuugggghhhhhhhh I hate that this actually sounds like a good idea

Motherfuck I do not want to SEO my resume

You should be doing it already if you are looking outside your company. Sometimes for internal postings as well. Companies have more or less offloaded the hiring process to external firms and those firms use what are essentially keyword searches to filter out resumes before a human even considers them. I had a boss who put out a posting and didn't get a single application sent to him for consideration. Eventually, he had his boss post the job because she was at the right level to bypass the hiring contractor and got something like 40 resumes in the first week. Same exact posting, the filter just made it seem like no one was interested.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lazyfire posted:

You should be doing it already if you are looking outside your company. Sometimes for internal postings as well. Companies have more or less offloaded the hiring process to external firms and those firms use what are essentially keyword searches to filter out resumes before a human even considers them. I had a boss who put out a posting and didn't get a single application sent to him for consideration. Eventually, he had his boss post the job because she was at the right level to bypass the hiring contractor and got something like 40 resumes in the first week. Same exact posting, the filter just made it seem like no one was interested.

Yeah, I already do the keyword thing, I'm aware enough to be doing that.

I'm talking actual SEO poo poo, microscopic text in the headers to carpet bomb the filter with every keyword and permutation thereof imaginable.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
It's a great place to work but goddam the delay between something at work breaking and finally getting loving repaired is way too long, a good third of the light fittings have been dead for months half the equipment is pissing water all over the floor and one machine has been dead and sounding it's alarm since this time last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I already do the keyword thing, I'm aware enough to be doing that.

I'm talking actual SEO poo poo, microscopic text in the headers to carpet bomb the filter with every keyword and permutation thereof imaginable.

That's what I was referencing, we're beyond the point of parody with how resume filters work.

Just got off my weekly org meeting. One of the people on another team had her docking station fail and when she called the IT people for a new one she was told management had a policy of no replacements and no upgrades for failed hardware. We're already on heavy travel restrictions and cutting down on inventory to save a couple million at a company that profited $40 million last year. This is making me wonder if we are either in the process of getting sold or if there's a corporate level cashflow problem we're trying to solve by being miserly with $200 Dell hardware. Boss' boss said that he believes that we're trying to get to a 20% profit per unit sold by 2025 and are "only" at 14.5% now. We're an Aerospace company, almost everything we sell for new production is done at a loss (outside of one platform because the customer blindly signed a contract), so 14.5% is pretty good already. 20% is insane. I was telling my wife about this and realized this is the kind of irrational frugality I saw when I worked for Alstom before they got bought by GE. I don't think we're getting spun off or sold, but this one of those "oh gently caress" things you see as a sign of trouble once you've experienced it before. Looking forward to seeing who gets laid off in the next six months.