Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Purgatory Glory posted:

Say that after sitting in emergency for 8 hours.
this happens under the status quo so i fail to see how this is an argument against what I said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Juul-Whip posted:

this happens under the status quo so i fail to see how this is an argument against what I said

It’s actually a fairly reasonable concern. Having a sudden influx of younger people has put some additional pressures on aspects of the healthcare system in areas where capacity is low. Prenatal care and mental health services are examples. I am including interprovincial migration in that, population growth in general does this regardless of origin.

The government likes the economic growth of an increasing population but that isn’t being invested back into the communities to build infrastructure capacity in a meaningful way.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

that’s too bad. Someone ought to do something about that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Subjunctive posted:

I dunno if that’s a good idea for addressing the housing crisis, when voters have been supporting the policies that led to it. There are some interesting constituency issues if people who want (plan? might someday decide?) to live in a neighbourhood are in the same voter pool as the people who already live there.

I mean democratic in that people vote with their feet and the local housing supply has full rights to keep pace with demand. If that "ruins" the neighbourhood then people who don't like it can leave. Clearly many more people find the area lovely and want to live there. This is generally how neighbourhoods have evolved over history. When folks find their area becoming "too crowded" they move somewhere less crowded, but they don't let their personal tastes veto hundreds or thousands of other people who would be extremely happy to live there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There is some value in preserving examples of post-WW1 streetcar suburbs or post-WW2 tangled cul-de-sac bungalow mazes as living history but you don't need an entire city full of them.

You also have to consider that buildings age and need to be renovated or replaced. Read up on Kyoto's machiya (mostly wooden townhomes). The city has an aesthetic and heritage that has better arguments for preservation than whatever we're talking about here, but it's often impractical and expensive. Some are literally falling apart, unsafe for habitation and for those stuck in the middle of a block, demolishing them carefully still leaves neighbouring buildings with exposed uninsulated walls. Bungalows don't have those specific problems but at some point they will cost nearly as much to repair as to replace with a McMansion or a 3-4 story townhouse and I know which of those options I'd pick.

Torquil!
Jun 20, 2005
Dillon!

Juul-Whip posted:

they will, by lowering immigration

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

So because you feel entitled to 7.99 hours or less of waiting in the emergency department you’re going to deprive n people you’ve arbitrarily deemed unworthy of it until you’re satisfied (which will likely be never)

Sounds like you might be happier with a user-pay emergency healthcare system

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
love 2 rehash heritage arguments

Hubbert posted:

This is what Heritage Revitalization Agreements are for.

edit: In B.C., it's a comprehensive means of development approval in exchange for preserving and restoring heritage assets (usually designating them as protected features under another bylaw). An HRA can pretty much vary or supplement everything you can think of related to site dynamics (land use, density, siting, physical dimensions, number of buildings, parking requirements, servicing requirements, etc.), with the exception of the Official Community Plan.

anyways, i believe that housing supply is the answer

stanley park isn't dedicated parkland, it's a titled lot owned by the federal government leased to COV

lets solve the housing crisis by removing that pesky park and build towers all over it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fornax Disaster posted:

You want to make radical changes to people’s lives against their will, expect some pushback.

I will radically change your life, bitch. I will form an army of dogs to poo poo in your yard. I will rip down your house with my bare hands and build three high-rises upon the land. And, wait for it... while I'm doing that, I will trans your kids. I will trans your wife. I will make you live in a goddamn bunker with your trans husband and kids. Furthermore, the neighbours in the high-rises? They'll be immigrants; oh my, yes, they'll all be from some place that isn't here. I will personally ensure they speak languages you can't understand, and when they speak those languages, every second word will be derisive to you and you'll never know; only suspect. They will have skin colors that are not your own. Then, and only then, will I be satisfied. I lust for your misery; it sustains me.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The entire heritage conversation is not terribly relevant because in the grand scheme of things there's actually almost no heritage homes and they are absolutely in no way a barrier to creating new homes and meeting our housing goals. I guess so long as you aren't incredibly set on razing Strathcona and Grandview Woodlands to the ground and building West End 2.0 there. (I have a feeling developers are!)

There's only like 2000ish homes. If they were all SFHs (which they aren't) that'd be less than 5% of the SFHs in the city.

quote:

As of November 15, 2022, the Heritage Register is made up of the following buildings:
A-listings: 272
B-listings: 1,170
C-listings: 819
2,261*

*Excludes those sites in Chinatown (HA-1) and Gastown (HA-2) noted in the Heritage Register
document as municipally designated without a Heritage Register classification.

2.1 A - Primary Significance
Represents the best examples of a style or type of building; may be associated with a person or
event of significance.

2.2 B - Significant
Represents good examples of a particular style or type, either individually or collectively; may
have some documented historical or cultural significance in a neighbourhood.

2.3 C - Contextual or Character
Represents those buildings that contribute to the historic character of an area or streetscape,
usually found in groupings of more than one building but may also be of individual importance.

Remarkable that there's only 272 of the really good A class of heritage buildings. If we dropped the C class entirely (because it's a ~housing crisis~) there'd only be 1442 heritage buildings to protect.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Some quotes and the appropriate response:

Juul-Whip posted:

qhat posted:

Bulldose it all. People need homes.

eXXon posted:

There is some value in preserving examples of post-WW1 streetcar suburbs or post-WW2 tangled cul-de-sac bungalow mazes as living history but you don't need an entire city full of them.

You also have to consider that buildings age and need to be renovated or replaced. Read up on Kyoto's machiya (mostly wooden townhomes). The city has an aesthetic and heritage that has better arguments for preservation than whatever we're talking about here, but it's often impractical and expensive. Some are literally falling apart, unsafe for habitation and for those stuck in the middle of a block, demolishing them carefully still leaves neighbouring buildings with exposed uninsulated walls. Bungalows don't have those specific problems but at some point they will cost nearly as much to repair as to replace with a McMansion or a 3-4 story townhouse and I know which of those options I'd pick.

qhat posted:

Femtosecond posted:

The entire heritage conversation is not terribly relevant because in the grand scheme of things there's actually almost no heritage homes and they are absolutely in no way a barrier to creating new homes and meeting our housing goals. I guess so long as you aren't incredibly set on razing Strathcona and Grandview Woodlands to the ground and building West End 2.0 there. (I have a feeling developers are!)

There's only like 2000ish homes. If they were all SFHs (which they aren't) that'd be less than 5% of the SFHs in the city.

Remarkable that there's only 272 of the really good A class of heritage buildings. If we dropped the C class entirely (because it's a ~housing crisis~) there'd only be 1442 heritage buildings to protect.

qhat posted:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

Some quotes and the appropriate response:

it's time for Stanley Park too

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just build a wall across False Creek and drain the swamp, problem solved. Lake Ontario's also had it easy for too long.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Won’t somebody stand up for all the gentile landowners and their 2 million dollar heritage homes? Why does it seem like nobody cares about their delicate feelings these days?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Lain Iwakura posted:

This home situated next to an inter-dimensional vortex off Joyce should not be listed as a heritage building but here we are.

Mentioned recently, but I looked and it's just a C-class home which honestly shouldn't even exist as a heritage category. It boils down to "it's old-ish and has the character of its time", that's it.
Nothing else of any significance at all.

Vancouver is very young so I think they're really reaching to find things they can call heritage. Sorry lads, your early 20th-century Sears catalog home ain't Vieux-Québec.

Fornax Disaster posted:

Yes, higher traffic, more noise, less light if the buildings are close and tall.

I find it hard to believe you're serious but there was recently a story that had someone complain that installing a bench in their neighbourhood ruined the character so I guess you assholes are out there.

Like oh my god wow, more people around, how terrible. There is a housing and climate crisis, you don't get to have fee-fees about "character" anymore.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I love the anti tenant propaganda, this is a tenant who HAS been paying his rent (to the landlord and tenant board) while his landlord has illegally refused to accept his payments for 2 years.

London, Ont., man who hasn't paid rent in 2 years hoping to beat his landlord at tribunal again

Also the landlord appears to be illegally retaliating against him lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

eXXon posted:

Just build a wall across False Creek and drain the swamp, problem solved. Lake Ontario's also had it easy for too long.

I am sorry to tell you this, but a quick review of heritage documentation confirms that this was already done for half of False Creek to make it developable during the 1910s (see pages 30 to 41).

That said, it sounds like it's time to finish the job.

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 30, 2023

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Hubbert posted:

anyways, i believe that housing supply is the answer

Except for the ways in which it may shake people's belief in number always go up, this has very little effect unless and until you

tagesschau posted:

Stop letting people use money they don't have to bid prices up beyond what they can actually afford.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Fornax Disaster posted:

Adjust immigration totals to match our ability to build new homes. We have a birth rate below replacement level and are surrounded by three oceans and an isolationist superpower. The federal government can fine tune our growth rate to whatever they want it to be.

We have lots of ability to build new homes. We just don't do it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There are tons and tons of 100 year old rowhomes in east coast cities that no one gives on poo poo about. They were put up quickly and cheaply because workers needed places to live. That some places call them heritage is bougie poo poo.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

RealityWarCriminal posted:

We have lots of ability to build new homes. We just don't do it.

Can't turn a no risk investment like real estate into a risky one.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

code:
Past performance must guarantee future results.  Such is the way of freedom

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Torquil! posted:

they will, by lowering immigration

I’m for this, but it’s only one part of the solution. We need a top down policy approach to reduce the demand side, as well as vastly increase the supply side (which should include rentals).

As is, the only way my kids can ever afford a house is if I become a multiple property owner, renting properties until my kids can inherit them or the price appreciates. This is not a solution

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Building housing top down is an interesting approach.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

eXXon posted:

Building housing top down is an interesting approach.

Between you and me, I'd rather start with a good foundation.

:mmmhmm:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Kerry Gold writes a rare not awful article on housing, presumably delighted at the public turn in attention away from blaming bad municipal zoning and SFHs to blaming the Feds.

She once again, for the upteenth time, brings out her limited rogues gallery of the same old housing commentators, though this time it's not the worst, and Andy Yan even makes a comment that could be perceived as pro-density and not his usual fuzzy and hard to pin down nimbyish skepticism.

quote:

The federal government can lead on housing

When Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a news conference earlier this month that “housing isn’t a primary federal responsibility,” but “it is something that we can and must help with,” it was baffling to anyone who understood the crucial role that the most senior level of government plays in the housing system.

The prime minister made the comments at the unveiling of a minor housing initiative in Hamilton.

“That’s a very strange statement, given that the feds drove all the really affordable housing back in the seventies and early eighties,” says Burnaby, B.C. mayor Mike Hurley.

“There were different programs that included tax credits for people who were willing to develop [housing]. “Look at all the three-storey walks-ups around the region from that era, they all come out of that program. And that worked really well.”

And the rental supply that does get delivered is largely possible because of federal programs, such as the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s MLI Select insured lending program for new rental construction, says Jason Turcotte, president of Darwin Properties, who mostly build rental housing.

“I just thought that was bizarre,” Mr. Turcotte says of the prime minister’s comment. “How can you make that statement, to say they are not responsible? They are more responsible in terms of rental, anyway, than any level of government.”

B.C. housing minister Ravi Kahlon said that the province doesn’t want to get into a “fight” with the federal government, but they’re tired of waiting for action.

“I’ll give the Prime Minister the benefit of the doubt that he perhaps misspoke at that news conference … but that being said, I’ve been clear to them; they have a big role to play,” said Mr. Kahlon.

“We aren’t even saying to them that they have to lead. We’re saying, ‘just match us.’”

For example, the province has had to fill in for the feds when it comes to Indigenous housing, said the housing minister.

“That is 100 per cent federal jurisdiction, yet we are building more housing on reserves than probably the federal government,” he says.

Andy Yan, director of Simon Fraser University’s City Program, says the federal government has always had “tremendous power” around shaping supply, demand and financing of Canada’s housing system.

“With federal power comes great housing responsibility, and this statement by the Prime Minister just highlights a larger problem – that there’s a disconnect between holding that power and fulfilling that responsibility. It’s a responsibility that federal governments have been shirking for over 30 years, which is why there had been so much hope for the National Housing Strategy.”

He says the feds also crucially supply housing data via Statistics Canada, which are used to shape policy at every level of government, and inform real estate markets.

It’s almost hard to believe there was a time when the federal government was duty bound to deliver centrally located housing that was affordable to low and middle class citizens. After the Second World War, the CMHC was formed to meet another housing crisis – the flood of returning veterans looking for homes. The federal government created a public housing program for low-income families and eventually built Regent Park in Toronto and Little Mountain in Vancouver. In the 1960s, the CMHC built co-operative housing projects and in the 1970s, it introduced a program to help low income citizens buy homes.

CMHC’s original role after World War II was to initiate and build a lot of housing for returning veterans, and they followed the pattern of Great Britain, where the national government was involved in building council housing,” says Michael Geller, a developer and real estate consultant who worked at CMHC from 1972 to 1981. One of his last assignments was regeneration of older public housing projects. He will be giving a talk at SFU on Oct. 18 about planning and government’s role in housing.”It was the federal government that took the lead on public housing projects across Canada,” he says.

By the early 1990s, the federal government pulled financing from public housing projects, which, experts agree, is largely the reason that there’s a dearth of purpose-built rental stock available now. Little Mountain became a BC Housing project and got sold off to a developer. And for the past three decades, government tax policy shifted toward homeowners instead of renters.

But without government subsidies, Mr. Hurley doesn’t see how the creation of market supply alone will solve the housing crisis. Feeling that that senior levels of government aren’t delivering on their housing promises, Burnaby is taking control by launching a housing authority of its own next year.

“Absolutely, it has to be subsidized by government,” he says of housing. “It’s the only way it can happen.”

Burnaby is the test case for the argument that supply alone will decrease prices, he says.

“If that was the case, Metrotown would be the cheapest place around, and it’s not.

“We are building a lot of housing in the Lower Mainland. If you look around and if you look around Burnaby, you can see we are certainly not holding back and we are building housing. But it’s not making it cheaper. If anything, it’s going the other way.”

The federal government has always played a central role delivering housing programs throughout history, says University of Toronto Prof. David Hulchanski, professor of housing and community development in the Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work. But even more crucial than those programs is their role in setting interest rates via the Bank of Canada, providing mortgage loan insurance, setting mortgage rules through the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions, setting national economic policy, and establishing tax system advantages around housing as well as capital gains exemptions on principal residences, he says.

In the 2015 election, the Prime Minister promised to restore federal leadership in affordable housing. Part of that promise was to develop a national housing strategy.

Prof. David Hulchanski doesn’t see anything new and improved since 2015, other than “random subsidies with no clear rationale.”

He cites the Prime Minister’s delivery of 214 housing units in Hamilton, both new and renovated, with $45-million in federal loans and grants. The project represents only 0.05 per cent of a promised $82-billion towards housing, he says.

Federal policy does not address income and wealth inequality, human rights violations, the hyper-commodification of housing, and home ownership entitlement to unearned, untaxed capital gains, says Prof. Hulchanski.

The way things are going, he says he sees no reason why national housing insecurity won’t continue.

Mr. Turcotte says an immediate boost for rental development would be if the feds offered a rebate on the GST, which, outside of construction costs, is the single biggest line item in his budget. Full rebates are only offered on units valued at less than $350,000.

“The industry has been lobbying for years to have that addressed and it would be a simple way for the federal government to actually allow for more affordable housing and to allow for more supply, because projects would be more viable,” said Mr. Turcotte.

Mr. Yan would like to see specifics around federal housing policy. CMHC issued a report last year that stated, “to restore affordability, an additional 3.5 million affordable housing units are needed by 2030.”

That means 22 million housing units are required by 2030 “to help achieve affordability,” according to CMHC. But the target number is bereft of context, said Mr. Yan.

“Are the units intended to be built on a greenbelt?” he asks. “Are they intended to sprawl from a city core? It could unintentionally make the economic health of those living in those units worse, because it requires them to have a car.

“I don’t think that’s the intention. I don’t think they are saying, ‘sprawl it out.’ But they’re lacking details. It’s just a number in need of a contextual home.”

Wildest part of this story is the BC Housing Minister pointing out that the Feds are so deficient in doing anything at all that BC is now building on reserve housing, which isn't anywhere near their jurisdiction.

I'd be genuinely curious to know what the market price in the 1970s on completion of all those currently affordable three story walkup apartments now put forward by Mayor Hurley as being affordable. Were they actually affordable in the 1970s or were they market priced? It seems more likely that they were the latter and are only currently affordable because um, they're 40+ years old.

It's no surprise that Metrotown is expensive because it's literally brand new. The mechanism by which housing could have become more affordable in Burnaby through the development of Metrotown would have been that the old 1970s apartments were under less market competition because there was more (newer and better) product available. If vacancy actually went down for once and landlords actually needed to scramble to find a renter, it is the ancient 70s era apartments that would have seen their rents stagnate and drop first.

Unfortunately, Burnaby's enlightened urban planners decided that it was the million dollar SFHs that had to be protected at all costs, and so Metrotown was built by razing the affordable existing rental to the ground, thus both minimizing the net new housing created while also ensuring the maximum destruction of the relatively affordable rental housing available. It's no surprise at the outcomes in Burnaby. If Burnaby had razed million dollar SFHs instead, maybe we would have seen different outcomes. Oh well!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Femtosecond posted:

Unfortunately, Burnaby's enlightened urban planners decided that it was the million dollar SFHs that had to be protected at all costs, and so Metrotown was built by razing the affordable existing rental to the ground, thus both minimizing the net new housing created while also ensuring the maximum destruction of the relatively affordable rental housing available. It's no surprise at the outcomes in Burnaby. If Burnaby had razed million dollar SFHs instead, maybe we would have seen different outcomes. Oh well!

From a few pages back...

Lain Iwakura posted:

So despite living East Vancouver, this showed up in my mailbox today:

This is going to go nowhere I bet.

I have no faith.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

ah nice, the timid steps of basement suites and laneway homes, solutions that already exist in the affordable nearby jurisdiction of the City of Vancouver.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The Feds are increasing immigration for çheap labour without doing anything towards increasing infrastructure for the population increase. This isn't the fault of immigrants, it's the fault of government.

BC ferries has been a utter shitshow this summer, you get a three sailing wait on a random weekday, even when all the ferries are actually working. It's just so busy. Healthcare is also totally hosed and everyone knows about the housing crisis

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Neoliberals don't understand what infrastructure is, and at this point are pretty fuzzy on what a government is too.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Femtosecond posted:

I'd be genuinely curious to know what the market price in the 1970s on completion of all those currently affordable three story walkup apartments now put forward by Mayor Hurley as being affordable. Were they actually affordable in the 1970s or were they market priced? It seems more likely that they were the latter and are only currently affordable because um, they're 40+ years old.

It's no surprise that Metrotown is expensive because it's literally brand new. The mechanism by which housing could have become more affordable in Burnaby through the development of Metrotown would have been that the old 1970s apartments were under less market competition because there was more (newer and better) product available. If vacancy actually went down for once and landlords actually needed to scramble to find a renter, it is the ancient 70s era apartments that would have seen their rents stagnate and drop first.

It seems obvious in retrospect but I hadn't really considered this kind of thing until I went on a Jane's Walk a few months ago here. The complete lack of MURB housing (and housing in general I suppose) built over the last few decades is now leading to very few decent homes aging into affordability. It becomes pretty clear when you actually walk around and take a look at what sort of MURBs are actually around. You see plenty of crumbling low and mid-rise buildings from the 60s and 70s and then it jumps right to 'luxury' style condos and towers from the last 15 years or so. Being Ottawa there's also 3 and 4-plexes from the 1890s but those aren't really relevant. There are very very few buildings from the missing decades in between that are decent and livable but old enough to have dropped in value.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The sense I get is that the only reason that any of those walk up apartments that we currently view as affordable were ever built is due to an absolutely incredible amount of tax incentive giveaways from the government toward the doctor/dentist class that built them as investments (eg. no capital gains!). This is something no one wants to hear as a solution and will be extraordinarily politically difficult to replicate if government tries to go down this path.

I suspect the reason that all this apartment development ended is because neoliberalism, small government fiscal austerity and a drive for personal home ownership took over political thinking, and so as all these various incentives were cancelled which made apartment development instantly unprofitable and unviable, and government programs instead flowed toward helping people buy their own homes. This fact, coupled with loose land use planning that encouraged and enabled suburban sprawl meant that much of the 1980s through 1990s was spent razing forests at the margins and building single family home developments. This is why there's now a weird gap where the apartments of the late 60s end and barely anything replaces them until condo towers start to appear in the late 90s as cities become "hip" again.

Of course a restrictive planning regulatory environment would now ensure that any and all condo development can only occur within selective downtown areas, and so we see Downtown Vancouver get denser and denser with condo towers all through the late 90s and early 2000s while the rest of the city is completely unchanged for decades and population in areas outside of downtown stagnates and even starts to drop. Population growth at the margins in places like Surrey and Langley however, relentlessly climbs.

A major part of the housing crisis (for rich yuppies that is) is that those that would have simply bought some detached home further away in the 1990s (drive until you qualify!) are no longer able to because the era of easy suburban sprawl in so many jurisdictions is over. Now the musical game of chairs has begun as the amount of available SFHs only starts to decrease as the only available space for new homes is to raze a SFH and build something denser.

Accordingly the only "affordable" place to buy a SFH now is in the prairies where there remains loose land use and plenty of land for suburban sprawl.

I have no doubt that a "solution" put forward by conservative governments to this housing problem if they were to get into power will be to loosen land use regulations to enable more suburban sprawl. Of course we're already seeing that from Doug Ford.

In a Metro Vancouver context such a "solution" would probably mean eroding the agricultural land reserve, and building out in the farmlands of Richmond, Tsawwassen, Surrey, Langley and hey maybe even building that bridge to the Sunshine Coast.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 31, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm looking at some recently built rentals and while I haven't seen idiotic snaking hallway layouts that I'd make in Rimworld, I did see this:

2 bed, 3 bath, wtf? Ok, this is clearly meant to be shared, but what a demented waste of space. Even if you're an investor seeking to altruistically solve the housing crisis by renting the living area as a 3rd bedroom and trying to cram, I dunno, 2 couples + another person into the remaining claustrophobic space, the unlucky 3rd wheel would still need to shower in the upper bathroom. Just lol at the den, which could maybe fit a hibernating bear cub I guess. Also the lower bedroom gets an ensuite but no natural light because gently caress you that's why. At least have the drat door face a window!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When all the actual solutions to the problem are completely off the table as matter of course, the only alternatives that get any air are from freaks with too much money. Probably also helps to discredit the idea of better things being possible.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The 3rd bathroom is obviously for guests.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

qhat posted:

The 3rd bathroom is obviously for guests.
Yeah, that’s why it’s only a 2 piece.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

... it's an 850sqft apartment. They could just make one of the two full baths face the hallway. Hell, the same building has 3 bed 2 bath units* (though granted, the 3rd bedroom is a windowless utility closet).

*$4k+/month and not rent controlled thanks Doug.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

That would be a nice layout for a couple with a kid and a wfh office.

Best of luck to the 6 students who will end up living there.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Are there any cities considering reclaiming parts of the ocean, or lakeside, and then building a neighbourhood on that (from scratch) like the Netherlands?

Or, perhaps the solution is to build giant platforms in the sky, with buildings on top of those. If we get really lucky in planning and design, we can have them all connect to a central reactor of sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Galen Weston building Rapture at the bottom of Lake Ontario.