Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1696835591860605263

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Junk posted:

oh yeah, i always wondered

is this a reference to anything in particular? i watched the episode with the commentary but all they do is chuckle at this part

Actually I'd like to know this too. It's one of the scenes that never ever fails to get a laugh out of me but I have no idea where the concept for this guy and his hilarious vehicle came from.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It’s just a naive guy parroting Homer’s cheering without considering the cost of parking his vehicle. I don’t think there’s anything more to it.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
he just looks so specific and out of place

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

...oh

well in that cause, um...carry on!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Junk posted:

he just looks so specific and out of place

And his "hooray!" has a weird accent. It's like he's supposed to be somebody.

Somebody famous for having cars with lots of axles!

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
While we are explaining golden era jokes, I have a kinda basic one I don’t get: when Marge is fantasising about being with a pirate and asks if his earring means he’s a pirate, and he says “Kinda”, is it just a 90s gay joke? That’s what I assume, but then he goes on to speak to her implying sexual interest, so I’m not sure.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Halisnacks posted:

While we are explaining golden era jokes, I have a kinda basic one I don’t get: when Marge is fantasising about being with a pirate and asks if his earring means he’s a pirate, and he says “Kinda”, is it just a 90s gay joke? That’s what I assume, but then he goes on to speak to her implying sexual interest, so I’m not sure.

It is 100% the 90s gay joke.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Junk posted:

is this a reference to anything in particular? i watched the episode with the commentary but all they do is chuckle at this part

If anyone still has Twitter they could probably just ask Josh Weinstein & Bill Oakley, while I don’t think they worked on that ep they are super nice & generous with answering questions about show lore or just posting original script pages of cut scenes from the peak golden age.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
It’s the same joke as “Put it in ‘H’” - in the 80s/90s Eastern European cars were the butt of jokes, specifically the Yugo.

Homer sets a per-axle price price for parking and then an unexpected twist is that one of those Slavic vehicles has a hilarious amount of axles! The guy saying hooray with an accent lets us know that he’s not from here. I don’t think there’s any specific reference in there.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Halisnacks posted:

The saying back then was "left is right and right is wrong." For some reason it was acceptable for a man to pierce his left ear but not his right, even if both are pierced.

He has an earring in his right ear. So they are implying he is gay.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 1, 2023

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not one week ago via this exact joke I had to define for my kid the term butt pirate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pirates have always been at least a little queer adjacent. What is jolly if not a synonym for gay?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The documentary series Our Flag Means Death proves this conclusively.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thnk you guys are missing the actual question which was

Halisnacks posted:

is it just a 90s gay joke? That’s what I assume, but then he goes on to speak to her implying sexual interest, so I’m not sure.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I think women and seamen don't mix

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It's also a pirate gay joke

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I always took it as a joke about Marge's imagination, myself. Never even thought about him being gay. That just isn't how you would normally expect an "Are you a pirate?" conversation to go.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 1, 2023

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Data Graham posted:

I thnk you guys are missing the actual question which was

That's true. I always took it as a stab at the rumors that always dogged Fabio, who the pirate is clearly modeled after.

I think the writers are very subtlely implying that Fabio is a butt pirate.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The joke is that he is a Viking.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

formerly chuck's

edit:

Junk posted:

So I was thinking about this one and I don't think it's a reference to anything specific. I remember when I was a kid I'd go through the tollbooth that would say "25 cents each axle" or something like that, and imagine to myself a car with like 10 axles.

I think that's the same train of thought here. Why would a car have that many axles? idk, because it's eastern european. It wouldn't be the first eastern european car joke in the simpsons. How do you establish the car is eastern european? Give the driver an accent and make him look like Nikita Kruschev/Mikhail Gorbechev, of course. He's happy because he doesn't speak english very well.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 1, 2023

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It's absolutely a "butt pirate" gay joke combined with the gay rumors about Fabio, who was a romance novel cover model, in the 90s

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Riptor posted:

It's absolutely a "butt pirate" gay joke combined with the gay rumors about Fabio, who was a romance novel cover model, in the 90s

Romance novel cover model and seagull magnet.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Lisa whining about Maggie being chosen to be flower girl over her is one of the best little bits in the series. They'd never characterize Lisa as so petty these days.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Is it unpopular to suggest a season 1 episode as one of the lowest points of the series? I generally like season 1, but saw “There’s no Disgrace like Home” (the one where they do family therapy with Dr Monroe) recently.

Homer is just not Homer. He’s embarrassed of his family’s behaviour and habits. Marge humiliates him by drinking too much, the kids (and Marge) watch too much TV for his liking. If that came out today, you’d say the writers didn’t even know who Homer Simpson was.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That was literally the first episode produced, wasn't it?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watched a few Disenchantments (I think this is the last season?). It's as bad as ever, and they seem to have picked up the Simpsons habit of shoving songs in for no reason other than there's money in it for the writers or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Tmo28_nf4

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I've watched most of disenchantment, basically because it almost always felt like it was going to be good or funny but never really was - you know what I mean? Like it had the ingredients, some jokes were nearly there, but nothing ever really hit it out of the park and it felt like it reaaaally wasted a lot of the solid elements that it did have going for it. What a disappointment

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MNIMWA posted:

I've watched most of disenchantment, basically because it almost always felt like it was going to be good or funny but never really was - you know what I mean? Like it had the ingredients, some jokes were nearly there, but nothing ever really hit it out of the park and it felt like it reaaaally wasted a lot of the solid elements that it did have going for it. What a disappointment

Yeah, less than the sum of its parts. The characters in the last season are pretty much constantly on the run from one thing or another but nothing ever gets solved. They've been running from or chasing the headless body of a Bean clone for the 4 entire episodes that I've watched.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Data Graham posted:

That was literally the first episode produced, wasn't it?

First episode produced was Some Enchanted Evening, the Babysitter Bandit episode, which was supposed to be the series premiere. From what I can recall the original episode was so bad in terms of animation and story, it almost got the show cancelled before it began, and had to be completely redone and moved to the season finale instead. Kinda glad actually as opening a show with an episode about Marge completely ready to leave Homer would have turned a lot of viewers off imo. After a full season it felt a little more understandable.

My gripe with S1 is it couldn't decide if it wanted to be funny or serious. I remember even back as an 8 year old Homer nearly committing suicide was incredibly dark. S1 was surprisingly depressing at points, and while the show was challenging the "perfect nuclear family" status quo and did so quite well, it still felt off even during the first-run broadcast.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

MNIMWA posted:

Just watch it for the backgrounds because those own

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

bucksmash posted:

My gripe with S1 is it couldn't decide if it wanted to be funny or serious. I remember even back as an 8 year old Homer nearly committing suicide was incredibly dark. S1 was surprisingly depressing at points, and while the show was challenging the "perfect nuclear family" status quo and did so quite well, it still felt off even during the first-run broadcast.

The change from Season 1 to Season 2 was more pronounced than any other season to season change (good or bad). Other than the characters, it basically feels like a different show. I’d also say we barely learn anything about the characters that stays consistent, other than that Bart is a troublemaker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bucksmash posted:

First episode produced was Some Enchanted Evening, the Babysitter Bandit episode, which was supposed to be the series premiere. From what I can recall the original episode was so bad in terms of animation and story, it almost got the show cancelled before it began, and had to be completely redone and moved to the season finale instead. Kinda glad actually as opening a show with an episode about Marge completely ready to leave Homer would have turned a lot of viewers off imo. After a full season it felt a little more understandable.

Oh yeah. For some reason I conflated those two episodes. The story about the animation being so terrible always made me laugh, the Korean animators coming back with "well maybe it's that your script is not so good :boom:"

Also as to dark themes like Marge cheating on him, i.e. Life On the Fast Lane it was years before I saw An Officer and a Gentleman and "got" the joke of the ending scene. Without that context it seemed incredibly overdramatic and overproduced, like wtf is with these hardass triumphant power chords, is this show a comedy or what?

The fact that the first episode to air was the Christmas one was always super weird to me. For years Moe seemed wrong without a Santa hat on because that's how he looked the first time I saw him. And it established the whole series as being about Homer having to take odd jobs to make enough money to survive while living in the same neighborhood as rich-boy Flanders, which ... also pretty dark

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 3, 2023

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Those seasons do not get to be called the lowest point of the Simpsons (I know it was only one guy bringing up that notion) because they were the growing pains for the weird, smart comedy that came after it. If the ivy-league boomers had to take some muffed swings at parodying Honeymooners or chafing against the audience expectations of the time it was all worth it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

UP AND ADAM posted:

Those seasons do not get to be called the lowest point of the Simpsons (I know it was only one guy bringing up that notion) because they were the growing pains for the weird, smart comedy that came after it. If the ivy-league boomers had to take some muffed swings at parodying Honeymooners or chafing against the audience expectations of the time it was all worth it.

No one was calling them that. This is just a Simpsons general discussion thread and has been for years.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

1 feels like such a different show, I can't bring myself to watch it. Clearly had growing pains and that's ok, but I don't enjoy it.

2 I think had some good episodes. Three men and a comic book comes to mind, I think the way we was as well. Nothing against season 2 it's just not for me.

3 is still really strong but some of the characters are still being worked on. Mr Burns voice was still off.

4 is truly the start of the golden era. The whole season is full of absolute classics.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 4, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
4, 5 and 6 definitely struck the right balance of down-to-earth observational humour and wacky concept episodes. 2 and 3 are solid domestic sitcoms with fun morality tales, appealing emotional stories and a pinch of wry satire when it comes to American sensibilities. 7 and 8 are a bit more of a mixed bag, but I admire them for nailing multiple full parodies and trying new off-the-wall things. 4, 5 and 6 fulfil both niches thanks to writers like Conan and Swartzwelder.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Season 2 creates kind of a perfect skeleton for the rest of the seasons to build off of. That core pathos that exists across the series really comes into its own in season 2 and I don't think the series would be the same without it. I realyl like season 1 and seeing how the show finds its footing but it truly is a different show in that first season. I don't think you could call it even a coherent season of television, it's all over the place in style and tone as they're taking wide swings to see what sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Halisnacks posted:

Is it unpopular to suggest a season 1 episode as one of the lowest points of the series? I generally like season 1, but saw “There’s no Disgrace like Home” (the one where they do family therapy with Dr Monroe) recently.

Homer is just not Homer. He’s embarrassed of his family’s behaviour and habits. Marge humiliates him by drinking too much, the kids (and Marge) watch too much TV for his liking. If that came out today, you’d say the writers didn’t even know who Homer Simpson was.

I find this ep far more interesting than the typical modern garbage specifically because it's so obviously wrong. Marge getting drunk at a company picnic and embarrassing Homer is about as backwards as you can possibly get, and it shows how the writers weren't sure about the family dynamic yet. I'd take that over the ai generated plot summaries that are modern Simpsons episodes any day.