Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

comedyblissoption posted:

when i switched from a [regular cord] wired mouse + bungee to a wireless mouse for the first time, i had phantom cordlimb syndrome for weeks

haha I thought that was just me. Also I still don't pick up the mouse beyond a certain height out of habit, assuming it'll trip the nonexistant cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is Addiceinc.com legit? I bought some replacement skates for my G Pro Superlight from Amazon, but they ended up going back to the shipper due to damage during shipment, so I still need to solve that problem. I see Addice popping up on Google searches, has anyone here ever bought from them? Only post I see on Reddit asking the same thing is from 2019, and a lot can change in four years.

I also have a Razer Basilisk Ultimate I wouldn't mind having some backup skates for, and I see Addice carries those as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Profile management in G HUB was meticulously engineered to be as unintuitive and cumbersome to use as humanly possible.

you can't edit the default profile so you don't have to change the dpi for every new game, right? cause that would be too convenient.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Soul Glo posted:

Is Addiceinc.com legit? I bought some replacement skates for my G Pro Superlight from Amazon, but they ended up going back to the shipper due to damage during shipment, so I still need to solve that problem. I see Addice popping up on Google searches, has anyone here ever bought from them? Only post I see on Reddit asking the same thing is from 2019, and a lot can change in four years.

I also have a Razer Basilisk Ultimate I wouldn't mind having some backup skates for, and I see Addice carries those as well.

I haven't heard of them before but the website seems to have a lot of stuff and doesn't jump out at me as a scam. They seem to be a reseller for a few brands:
https://www.addiceinc.com/pages/about-us

quote:

Addice inc is one of the best and foremost lifestyles symbols for gamers.

Addice inc is an online retailer, Logistics, and Marketing Company dedicated to excellence. Founded in 2012, based in southern California, USA. We service our consumers by providing compatible computer peripherals, with the collaboration of Zowie, Esports Tiger, and Dezctop.

I'd give them a shot for some mouse feet and see how it goes. Seems like they offer free shipping on those (probably just come in a padded envelope) and they're like $9. I'd definitely use a payment source you won't have an issue with, but they seem to take a lot of them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OMG, now GHUB is stuck in an infinite loading loop. I stupidly switched from the internal memory profile a while ago because I needed a custom mapping for Photoshop. So instead I'm stuck without any of my bindings.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
Addice is definitely legit, for a long time they were they only Zowie distributor on Amazon so a good amount of goons have probably bought from them before without ever going to their proper website.

E: I post about these guys too much but I feel like this website belongs in the OP if there ever was a thread refresh, Lethal has the most variety out of any US-based gaming peripheral shop: https://www.lethal.gg/collections/all-mice-feet. Addice only has a couple official mouse feet replacements and all the third-party ones are eSports Tiger, but Lethal has espTiger for Teflon feet along with BT.L, Corepadz and two brands I've never even heard of (Ghostglides and Hoverpad). espTiger Ice skates are usually regarded as the best AFAIK, so you can still buy those from Addice, but I've tried the BT.L and Corepadz and think both are good. Don't buy glass skates though, they're a gimmick.

demostars fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 26, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Rinkles posted:

OMG, now GHUB is stuck in an infinite loading loop. I stupidly switched from the internal memory profile a while ago because I needed a custom mapping for Photoshop. So instead I'm stuck without any of my bindings.

it sucks so bad. I had to reinstall and restart 3 times to get mine working

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

you can't edit the default profile so you don't have to change the dpi for every new game, right? cause that would be too convenient.

I will offer a general reminder to the thread that most of what is needed out of GHUB or any of Logitech's bloated poo poo can be accomplished through Onboard Memory Manager. It's their "tournament-legal" software utility.

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133

It doesn't help general widespread knowledge that Logitech talks about this as little as possible. They want you using their other stuff, so they can datamine the poo poo out of you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Having multiple profiles is actually useful, though. Potentially, anyway, because in the case of GHUB it’s as much of a hindrance to usability.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Having multiple profiles is actually useful, though. Potentially, anyway, because in the case of GHUB it’s as much of a hindrance to usability.

You get 3 or 5 onboard profiles with most Logitech mice. You just need to dedicate a button to switching between them.

Multiple onboard profiles being a pretty standard thing was for a long time the reason I wouldn't consider anyone else's mice. The best mouse software is not having to use mouse software.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

Rinkles posted:

The perks of Zowie mice - good to go out of the box.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

demostars posted:

Addice is definitely legit, for a long time they were they only Zowie distributor on Amazon so a good amount of goons have probably bought from them before without ever going to their proper website.

E: I post about these guys too much but I feel like this website belongs in the OP if there ever was a thread refresh, Lethal has the most variety out of any US-based gaming peripheral shop: https://www.lethal.gg/collections/all-mice-feet. Addice only has a couple official mouse feet replacements and all the third-party ones are eSports Tiger, but Lethal has espTiger for Teflon feet along with BT.L, Corepadz and two brands I've never even heard of (Ghostglides and Hoverpad). espTiger Ice skates are usually regarded as the best AFAIK, so you can still buy those from Addice, but I've tried the BT.L and Corepadz and think both are good. Don't buy glass skates though, they're a gimmick.

hey thanks for posting this site. i actually already went back to amazon and got some hotline games skates and some talongames skates delivered today, and both seem fine. ive actually already trashed one set of the hotlines and tried the talons, and both seem to be about the same, but i just didnt line up the hotline ones correctly the first time.

i did bookmark lethal for next time, though, appreciated.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a basic wireless mouse. No side buttons. Preferably the classic shape of MS optical mouse/Kinzu. Preferably has dongle.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Shaocaholica posted:

Looking for a basic wireless mouse. No side buttons. Preferably the classic shape of MS optical mouse/Kinzu. Preferably has dongle.

The only option I know about is removing the side buttons from the original G Pro Wireless, and that’s going to last you just as long as a POS wireless mouse from Amazon so unless you need the better sensor in it maybe just get one of those?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Had to install the unifying software to pair a different mouse at work the other day and immediately I got a popup asking to install the entire suite. Logitech is like iphones to me, I'll never understand people's good will towards that company.

Not their fault, but I went up a tier and bought some more expensive m&kb combos from amazon specifically for the unifying dongle, which was shown in the product image, but nope, just came with the regular black one. Should have seen the stack of keyboards I literally jumped up in the floor before switching offices because they all had been separated from the dongle and thus rendered useless. I gave up buying wireless for work unless some VIP asks for it. Likewise, cant for the life of me figure out the advantage of going wireless for my home desktop, especially at a premium. Even in my disaster space I dont have to gently caress with the cable, so I dont know why I would introduce charging to the equation for...what advantage? Ok, so I'm pretty sure I've read here new wireless technology has improved latency (even superior to wired?) but I have to believe you're well into the realm of diminishing returns if you are overanalyzing that. If there is something I can get away with not having to charge, ever, going to take some convincing to give up that comfort.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Bluetooth is very useful when switching machines. I can just hit a button or button combination on my keyboard and have it switch to/from my main pc, work laptop, personal laptop, steam deck, ps5, and/or switch. It can be very handy.

E: there are also mice that can work with wireless charging mousepads so you get the benefits of no wire drag on your mouse and also not having to worry about battery life ever.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I've got a fairly big mitt so I like having a weighty mouse all concentrated in the palm without any worry about cord pulls.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
What's the deal with wireless phones? Without the cord, it just gets lost, and you have to charge it? Useless!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

also, why wouldn't you use wireless for the corporate office? there's no reason not to with how good latency is now. Logitech management software sucks but they are literally plug and play on the Corp side.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Famethrowa posted:

also, why wouldn't you use wireless for the corporate office? there's no reason not to with how good latency is now. Logitech management software sucks but they are literally plug and play on the Corp side.

I would guess latency isn't the issue, but the probability of interference is. There are known issues with using the receiver/transmitters on USB3 ports, and with all the wireless bouncing around in an office environment, I could see them getting flaky pretty easily.

codo27 posted:

Had to install the unifying software to pair a different mouse at work the other day and immediately I got a popup asking to install the entire suite. Logitech is like iphones to me, I'll never understand people's good will towards that company.

Not their fault, but I went up a tier and bought some more expensive m&kb combos from amazon specifically for the unifying dongle, which was shown in the product image, but nope, just came with the regular black one. Should have seen the stack of keyboards I literally jumped up in the floor before switching offices because they all had been separated from the dongle and thus rendered useless. I gave up buying wireless for work unless some VIP asks for it. Likewise, cant for the life of me figure out the advantage of going wireless for my home desktop, especially at a premium. Even in my disaster space I dont have to gently caress with the cable, so I dont know why I would introduce charging to the equation for...what advantage? Ok, so I'm pretty sure I've read here new wireless technology has improved latency (even superior to wired?) but I have to believe you're well into the realm of diminishing returns if you are overanalyzing that. If there is something I can get away with not having to charge, ever, going to take some convincing to give up that comfort.
I know in the past the goodwill towards Logitech has been their warranty. They have full on replaced a few mice for me over the years, one I didn't have a receipt or even the box for anymore. I've read it's gotten worse over the past few years, and it has been a good 3-4 years since I had to use it.

It has degraded a bit more lately as the switches they use seem to be burning out regularly around the 2 year mark. Not a good look for a $100+ mouse. The long lasting wireless ones seem to be the worse though, as they undervolt the switch to extend battery life.

There is also a real hate for G Hub. Personally, it's worked great for me for over a decade. Program switching just works, it remembers custom key assignments in every program and game I've thrown at it. While some people want to toss their computer into a fire over how it glitches for them.

As to why wireless at home, it's generally just less of a hassle with two less wires one has to deal with. This isn't counting the possible connection issues due to interference from something, which results in "get a powered hub" as the answer.

And yes, latency now on most mid to high-end mice, especially with a "gamer" brand, is lower than wired. Does it make a difference in the real world? That's a mixed bag. For someone who games a lot, especially in a competitive environment (online, esports, or just want a snappier response), it can go from "eh, don't notice much" to "wow, this is very noticeable". There are many factors in play, but in the end, yes, it CAN make a difference.

For recharging, that will greatly depends on the mouse/keyboard one gets. Most keyboards can go literal months on a couple of AA batteries. Mice can very from a day to months depending on the model. Some get fancy charging docks (Razer does this, Logitech used to, don't know if they still do), to the mentioned charging pad (which I think is still a Logitech only thing*, but technically can be home-made), most are simply AA or AAA batteries, though most it seems do last days to weeks, but generally have to charge through a USB cable to the mouse.

* - There is one company that made a wireless keyboard and I think mouse too, and thus made a charging desk pad for the whole setup. It's in the bespoke levels of price though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

I work in a construction environment where no one has any respect for anything, someone will grab a mouse or keyboard from the box (especially prior to my arrival) and leave the other thing there, so its then useless because it can only be used with the dongle it came from the factory with. Too much of that went on. Also some users having some interference issues, just things that weren't worth dealing with.

I'm not all esports or anything but I play to win and am very competitive, but I just cant imagine there being a noticeable difference in latency from wired to these new fangled wireless ones. I'm not willing to shill out to test it for myself. Any and all defeats I feel come down to me, not the hardware. Gimme a mouse that'll make me have patience and not try to be motherfuckin John Matrix all the time, now that'd be worth buying.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You don't need dongles if the computers have bluetooth. The dongles are great, I guess, but as you said they're still paired with each other and are that kind of old/reliable tech that would probably be better off in an individual's environment. Like PS/2 keyboards being super reliable for years and years.

Everyone in my office has different mice/keyboards (we let people pick their own if they don't want to use the standard ones), and all of our computers have bluetooth. There are zero problems with interference.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

codo27 posted:

I work in a construction environment where no one has any respect for anything, someone will grab a mouse or keyboard from the box (especially prior to my arrival) and leave the other thing there, so its then useless because it can only be used with the dongle it came from the factory with. Too much of that went on. Also some users having some interference issues, just things that weren't worth dealing with.

I'm not all esports or anything but I play to win and am very competitive, but I just cant imagine there being a noticeable difference in latency from wired to these new fangled wireless ones. I'm not willing to shill out to test it for myself. Any and all defeats I feel come down to me, not the hardware. Gimme a mouse that'll make me have patience and not try to be motherfuckin John Matrix all the time, now that'd be worth buying.

The hard-paired dongles are kind of trash for a work setting, yes. Even at home they're not great, one device breaks and you have to replace the mouse + keyboard + dongle, but they're also really cheap so I use them here and there.

It's not the latency that you feel, it's the lack of a cord. The mouse just feels the same all the time, which is excellent.

Note, you can make a noticeable difference in latency by running your mouse at at least 1600-3200 DPI. The conventional wisdom of "400 DPI BEST FOR ESPORTS" was actually idiotic and adds quite a bit of latency. Whatever mouse you're using now, consider increasing your DPI to that level if it's not already there and using windows sensitivity to drop cursor speed back down.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wish there was a way to perfectly replicate the Windows mouse acceleration in Linux! I really like the Windows mouse acceleration it feels perfect!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

jokes posted:

I really like the Windows mouse acceleration it feels perfect!

:mods:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Famethrowa posted:

Batteries. We phased out wireless stuff years ago because of it. That and everyone would take dongles.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Batteries. We phased out wireless stuff years ago because of it. That and everyone would take dongles.

B-but my freedom

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

demostars posted:

The only option I know about is removing the side buttons from the original G Pro Wireless, and that’s going to last you just as long as a POS wireless mouse from Amazon so unless you need the better sensor in it maybe just get one of those?

Thanks.

I just had a galaxy brain idea. I could just gut an inexpensive wireless mouse and put its guts into an MS optical mouse that my brain is used too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that's a pretty well trodden idea, people have put the guts of the g305 into all kinds of mice

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

I wish there was a way to perfectly replicate the Windows mouse acceleration in Linux! I really like the Windows mouse acceleration it feels perfect!

Look how far we've strayed from the light of the Lord.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

repiv posted:

that's a pretty well trodden idea, people have put the guts of the g305 into all kinds of mice

Cool. Why that model? Good board layout? Cheap?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The g305 lightspeed is the cheapest mouse with good performance and good wireless.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Putting this in both this and the keyboard thread, but are there any recs for a wireless keyboard and mouse combo for casual couch gaming?

I'm open to getting a each separate if that's a work around.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

K8.0 posted:

The g305 lightspeed is the cheapest mouse with good performance and good wireless.

It’s also the perfect size for smaller handed folks imo

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hi thread

What's the go-to recommended mouse for non-mousepad surfaces? IE: A HTPC where you're using it on a sofa fabric or something.

Either wireless with a little USB adapter or Bluetooth?

Bonus points for a suitable keyboard combo for the same purpose. I have an ancient logitech with a small keyboard w/touch pad which has gotten super janky.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Most mice don't care much about surface. Buy a random piece of poo poo combo from a Chinese vendor, throw it in the trash when it breaks. That's what I do at least. I think I have one of these right now but you can probably find it cheaper, there are endless brands selling the same crap.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

slidebite posted:

Hi thread

What's the go-to recommended mouse for non-mousepad surfaces? IE: A HTPC where you're using it on a sofa fabric or something.

Bonus points for a suitable keyboard combo for the same purpose. I have an ancient logitech with a small keyboard w/touch pad which has gotten super janky.

Using a mouse on a non-flat surface feels awful, regardless of how well it tracks.

If you just need to occasionally use a mouse to choose a movie or something, get something like a K400 i.e. a wireless keyboard with integrated touchpad. That's what I use for movie / youtube nights on the sofa.

If you want to do real work with a mouse while couch potatoing, get one of those padded lap desks so you can use a real KB and mouse on it (something like this - just an example). You won´t have a lot of room but it'll still be way better than dragging a mouse over a couch.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

slidebite posted:

Hi thread

Use a trackpad, trackball or literally anything besides a mouse. You can probably find a small wireless keyboard with a trackpad.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

slidebite posted:

Hi thread

The one-gen behind version of this (M570) works great for an HTPC and if you have largish hands, you can basically hold it vertically like a remote/walk around with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Trackball-Precision-Ergonomic-Bluetooth-dp-B0877DK2FL/dp/B0877DK2FL/?th=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh yeah, I know it's not ideal but I found from all my years of optical mice, some are better than others with reading on non-flat or mousepad surfaces.

But absolutely, I can totally see a trackball mouse being a great idea.

I already have an old logitech mini keyboard with trackpad (the think that was janky in my OP) but i find it a little clunky.

Appreciate it thanks.