Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

RocketMermaid posted:

Ah, a cheap eurorack problem for once!

well to be fair, Black Electronics hasn't released their bespoke quadaphonic voice and signal chain yet, which will be $10,000 (with a $20k special edition, profits to charity).

It's almost too niche to be too expensive :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Another fun patch tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbwgU536av8

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Startyde posted:

It was there for a reason. If you’re in to synthdiy they used to be good sources for parts and chassis but even before our current renaissance that hasn’t made much economic sense. Parts too common/cheap these days. Even TOGs are back in production by coolaudio.
The transistor organs that were worth grabbing are combos and even that’s a tough prospect when nord is.

No seriously, I'm afraid Imma have to just chop this one. I agree that it was there for a reason and probably it's worth more in parts. I think I am going to take out the Leslie Cabinet, but I am warring with myself over taking the motor for my bicycle wheel sequencer project. Which I've got to say has been somewhat on the back burner for a few weeks now. I'm afraid I've been hypnotized again by some new synths I got, been familiarizing myself with the SQ-64.

It has some huge speakers in great shape, one built into a Leslie cabinet that I can easily move into a different chassis, and I have just the thing. It has a fortune in high quality multistrand copper wires of various gauges, probably a few excellent spare parts and a little tube amp, a hand-soldered "percussion board," a board of "flute filters," a footpedal that uses an opto-isolator, and a set of regular bass footpedals. And the switches themselves are high quality and built to last. All this could be repurposed. And what's funny is they used relatively cheap fibre board with veneer but the interior is made of high quality plywood, expertly cut with a little more thought for its design than you would see in most wooden household items. This is like modern archeology. I might could make jewelry out of those weird transistors rather than discard them, I dunno.

Was this the thread we were talking about the Boss RC line? Imma bust out mine today. RC-50, the queen of all loopers.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 30, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Sweetwater is selling the (black) Polyend Tracker for $360 through the 5th: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Tracker--polyend-tracker-tabletop-sampler-wavetable-synthesizer-and-sequencer

It's out of stock, but they generally get stock at some reasonable cadence and if you use a sweetwater card/account they don't bill it until thing ships. (I believe if you use a non store card they charge you right off the bat).

I'll have to think about this one hard; it's tempting GAS, but my life experience is that deals like this generally aren't one-and-done unless something is being EOL'd like the OpSix (which I guess is possible here? Insight is appreciated I have not kept up on this product I just think standalone things that also can be workflow centerpieces are cool, and I don't have any trackers in hardware).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's a price match of Polyend's own sale on Reverb, which is in stock.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Interesting. And according to polyend it's not an EOL and new firmware is planned. The Mini has been selling like hotcakes, maybe there's a lot of inventory here going into year end?

I am kinda interested in but intimidated by nerdseq; PT seems like a more approachable intro to trackers that's also a portable groovebox that can sequence ~4 modular voices pretty well. But, my ipad that I already own is also those things. I don't know; tempting to snag one and try to dump it for $300ish in 6 months if I'm not using it, but I rarely actually do that. PT, Deluge and Octatrack have long been on my maybe list, but Octa and Deluge seem much more tempting.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

what you could use is a few local pals with similar predilections, so you can swap gear when you feel like something new, instead of lusting after purchases.
synth library kinda thing

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
i was completely unable to resist that polyend tracker price

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

what you could use is a few local pals with similar predilections, so you can swap gear when you feel like something new, instead of lusting after purchases.
synth library kinda thing

I'm starting to find such people, so, we'll see what happens. Meeting cool people is one step; knowing who can and maybe shouldn't be trusted with gear is another. Not to sound like a privileged rear end in a top hat, but I'd be a lot more willing to let someone borrow my Hydrasynth or w/e if I knew that they were a cool person with piles of cash laying around. A cool person with no money who breaks my poo poo through a true accident leaves me in kind of a bind; I'd rather go without a synth or replace it slowly than cause someone to give me their food money to do so, but avoiding the situation in general is good.

I have one good buddy who loans me w/e I want basically but he's also Mega Guitar Dude so unless I am trying to do pedalboard poo poo, it's less useful. He definitely does NOT have a polyend kicking around.

The people I've met at Community of Sound seem awesome, though, and it's a big space

CatBlack posted:

i was completely unable to resist that polyend tracker price

I'm still in the hemming and hawing phase, I just paid off basically everything else that was in the red and I'd really like a tenor sax, this sets me back 10%. On the other hand yea wow this thing is a powerhouse at that price, and also like 50-100 hrs of workflow learning idk if i want to do :thunk:I am staring at it in my cart right now lol. This feels like an OpSix situation where it would be hard to lose too much money.

edit: oops I ordered it looking at price in cart. Oops. *sigh* okay tenor sax in _january_ now.

catblack I am not blaming you for this at all but GAS is infectious; I had not really been planning on doing this this morning. On the other hand, tomorrow marks the beginning of an attempted "buy nothing for 60 days" period for me, so, maybe your GAS helped me sneak one more in under the wire :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 31, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i've gotta say as someone who had tried to use but bounced off some software trackers before it really didn't take me very long to become comfortable with the interface and workflow of the polyend. there's an initial hurdle for sure but (at least for my messed up brain) things fell into place pretty quickly once it was overcome

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A big speedbump with learning trackers is their input scheme, most of them over the years have been pretty bad at it because they have a tendency to mimic the original tracker from the 80's. Which I get, these tools are made for (and by) people that have been doing it that long. But that doesn't make it a good interface.

Polyend, LSDJ, M8 and nerdseq have finally put us down the road of evolving away from that and made note entry actually enjoyable.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the big thing that still trips me is manually having to place note off events but i understand why that is like it is and i've made peace with it

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I'm trying to get less nervous when the little red light is on, so I've been recording more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSS9lsi10Jc

For the video, I bought a cheap drone and tried to fly it in my back yard.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Behold! My treasures.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

im_sorry posted:

I'm trying to get less nervous when the little red light is on, so I've been recording more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSS9lsi10Jc

For the video, I bought a cheap drone and tried to fly it in my back yard.

Well then do more, it all sounds good. Get a better recording card and/or mixer, that recording has very low headroom. And stop motion is cool BTW.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

petit choux posted:

Get a better recording card and/or mixer, that recording has very low headroom.

moving to a tascam 4x4US and also learning how to not be afraid of inline compression effects in my DAW has blown my head open.

Of course, now I want to spend like $800 on 4xMessor to have in rack :laugh:

YES I NEED FOUR STEREO COMPRESSORS SIR I HAVE TINNITUS YOU SEE

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
whats a compressor

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

CatBlack posted:

whats a compressor

Something that does not dance

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

whats a compressor
It's the thing what does fill your air cylinder, for when you want some high pressure air. You can do all sorts of neat stuff with it. Run pneumatic tools, operate control systems, start engines, fill tires, make a real loud PPpssssssssht sound. The world's your oyster, really.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CatBlack posted:

whats a compressor

a miserable pile of circuits

watho
Aug 2, 2013

if i want to control the dynamics of my sounds and instruments i adjust the volume knob. you fools, you absolute buffoons

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

petit choux posted:

Well then do more, it all sounds good. Get a better recording card and/or mixer, that recording has very low headroom. And stop motion is cool BTW.

It wasn't actually stop motion - the drone is really cheap, and the recording latency is massive, since it has to stream to the paired phone. I really liked how it turned out, and I'm trying to think of more stuff I can film with it.

The headroom thing was more because I'm still learning how to use the Tascam DP-006. I usually record with the built in microphones, and that's how I did the cat video, but I wanted to see if I could record silently using guitar pedals and the line inputs, and I probably messed up the levels somewhere along the line. I should probably read the manual. :D

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

watho posted:

if i want to control the dynamics of my sounds and instruments i adjust the volume knob. you fools, you absolute buffoons

Yes, but what if you could get a machine to do it for you?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

trick question fucko that's an lfo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But what if that lfo is another audio signal!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

watho posted:

trick question fucko that's an lfo

I have some bad news about the light funky ones for you, the short version is they no longer like girls who wear abercrombie and fitch and wont be able to turn any knobs for ya.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

xzzy posted:

But what if that lfo is another audio signal!

ring mod

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

like a vca?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, just invert the kick drum envelope, and lift it up a few volts, send it to a vca choking all the bits you want to duck and bob's yer uncle.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Yeah, just invert the kick drum envelope, and lift it up a few volts, send it to a vca choking all the bits you want to duck and bob's yer uncle.

Unicorn boob does that for u but I still like kompressor :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Bzvtr2SmU

e: was just using the env inverter on bArp to have a bArp osc invert what e352 was doing, but e352 going through bArp mixer with a clocked adsr pinging the filter for both. it's messy but i seem to just be using the bArp mixer as a... mixer for its filters lately. It's only a matter of time before I'm not using it as an audio device at all, just a mixer and enveloped filter that happens to have 3 LFOs that go unusually fast if you want them to.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 1, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I grabbed a Tracker on sale too. Hoping that the random fill options and buttons/keybed will break some of the creative deadlock I get into working with trackers generally. I'm constantly like "IDK what notes I want".

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
put your whole percussion bus through a compressor (not side chained)

it's the oldest trick in the book for a reason

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
they call your mom The Compressor….

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please
Quick question: I'm interested in getting an Akai Professional MPK Mini MKII midi controller to mess around with, with Ardour as my DAW (due to it being free). I'm pretty clueless on how to hook all of this up, do I also need to buy a preamp or can I just directly connect the Akai Mini to my PC w/ the USB cable and use it in Ardour?

Reaganomicon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 1, 2023

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Reaganomicon posted:

Quick question: I'm interested in getting an Akai Professional MPK Mini MKII midi controller to mess around with, with Ardour as my DAW (due to it being free). I'm pretty clueless on how to hook all of this up, do I also need to buy a preamp or can I just directly connect the Akai Mini to my PC w/ the USB cable and use it in Ardour?

A midi controller doesn't make any of its own sounds, it just controls other devices/software. So yeah you're on the right path with your latter idea. You would hook it up via the USB cable, download any drivers/updates you need, and then have to go in Ardour and figure out how to make it recognize the MPK. Its usually pretty simple to do but ive never used ardour so idk the specifics

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The MPK is like a PlayStation controller. You can map knobs and buttons to various functions within your daw, and the keybed and tap pads serve as the main midi output. Alternately, your MPK comes with a copy of MPC Beats, a DAW which is specifically designed for use with Akai controllers, and as a bonus utilizes all the little stenciled settings on the controller most owners ignore

If you need something to produce sound, I suggest Vital synth. It's free

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The MPK is like a PlayStation controller. You can map knobs and buttons to various functions within your daw, and the keybed and tap pads serve as the main midi output. Alternately, your MPK comes with a copy of MPC Beats, a DAW which is specifically designed for use with Akai controllers, and as a bonus utilizes all the little stenciled settings on the controller most owners ignore

If you need something to produce sound, I suggest Vital synth. It's free

okay, so just to confirm, I don't need any more hardware other than the midi controller, USB cable and DAW software to produce beatz??

will check out Vital synth, thanks

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Reaganomicon posted:

okay, so just to confirm, I don't need any more hardware other than the midi controller, USB cable and DAW software to produce beatz??

will check out Vital synth, thanks

Buddy you don't even need a computer

jk, you may need a better sound device, a more powerful computer, more RAM, all depends. I love the MPKs though.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Polyend Tracker Firmware 1.7 was recently released - https://polyend.com/whats-up/polyend-tracker-1-7-firmware-update/?catid=98

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Reaganomicon posted:

The midi controller will happily enter notes into the daw without anything extra. But whether the daw will generate sounds in time with your keypresses is a thing that depends on your operating system, your audio interface, the driver it came with and whether your daw will let you use that driver. Looks like Ardour on windows for example will only let you use the mme driver (bad), or an asio driver. It's possible that the onboard audio on your computer has ok latency in wdm driver mode and that you can force Ardour to use that through a software called asio4all. Is also possible that this doesn't end up being satisfactory and then the most headache free solution is buying an audio interface that comes with a native asio low latency driver. Different anything changes that equation considerably. Like on macos, no need to worry about any of that, from what I gather. On Linux who knows. Reaper as a daw will let you use the wdm driver natively, if you've got that for your onboard sound, good chance that will do, but no guarantees. Etc etc.