Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
man id absolutely run a trash can if i could get one cheap

perfect little posting poubelle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
the idea of eGPUing a trashcan pro to get it to support 5k out tickles me pink

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MarcusSA posted:

I’m sure dude found one of those in the dumpster too just left it off the list.

7 more years and they’ll be in the e-waste dumpster.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hot take: the Mac Studio would be a better machine if it were in the same chassis as the trashcan.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shaocaholica posted:

Hot take: the Mac Studio would be a better machine if it were in the same chassis as the trashcan.

I wouldn't say "better", but I definitely think they should have re-used the Trashcan design for the Mac Studio.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SourKraut posted:

I wouldn't say "better", but I definitely think they should have re-used the Trashcan design for the Mac Studio.

Apple probably wanted a design that they could easily retrofit their Mac Mini server racks with for their few enterprise customers.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh yeah for sure the cylinder sucks for racks but then again all Macs suck for racks when they're not made for racks. The PC rack industry is super dense compared to whatever you can do with Macs. Especially the consumer Mac thermals are way not optimized for a data center.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

We have Mac Studio at home.

I have too much old Macs. Not all together for a photo tho. Everything I have has been SSD swapped unless it came from the factory with SSD.

G3
G4 MDD (maxed)
G4 MDD (maxed, with rack mount!)
G5 (maxed 2 CPU)
G5 (maxed 4 CPU)
Intel MP x4 dumpster dived no idea spec I haven't had time to clean them up yet
iMac 27 late 2013 (maxed)
iMac 27 late 2015 x2 (maxed)
iMac Pro (maxed? will find out!)
Trashcan (maxed)

MBP 15" late 2008 (maxed w/USB 3)
MBP 17" mid 2009 (maxed, dosdude1 repaired/reflowed board)
MBP 15" mid 2012 (maxed)
MBP 13" mid 2012 (maxed, dosdude1 quad core modded)

MBP 15" mid 2015 x2 (i7s)

24" thunderbolt display (dumpster)
27" thunderbolt display
30" Cinema Display (dumpster)

This is an incredible list, and I’m thrilled to see a collection focused on the PPC to Intel transition instead of 68k to PPC years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I want to be friends with Shaocaholica in real life.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mister Facetious posted:

Apple probably wanted a design that they could easily retrofit their Mac Mini server racks with for their few enterprise customers.

I bet they also wanted a housing that was cheaper to make so the entry level model could be $2K. Just look at that goddamned polished trashcan, absolutely no fucks were given about keeping costs down. The Studio's shell is definitely more expensive than the Mini's, despite the family resemblance (there's tons of holes punched in it for ventilation and ports, those are extra machining steps), but I doubt it's at the trashcan's level.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I've still got a trashcan sitting on my desk at work, really don't know what to do with it tbh, I could've taken it home but tbh with how power prices are now here it's probably not the greatest idea. They have dual lan right? maybe I could've turned it into the fanciest router or something lol

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

You could take it home and just not plug it in? I mean, yeah, it was a weird path they took, and it had its issues, but it’s still a pretty loving cool engineering design/piece of hardware.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
That’s how I got my trashcan. It was someone’s take home. Currently have it at work so work is paying the power bill. Just put Lightroom on it yesterday and it’s probably my fastest Lightroom machine. A 10yr machine I bought for $300 is the fastest computer I have rn :negative:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Npthing wrong with collecting computers. My NeXTstation sits in a corner looking nice along with a Sun workstation.

My SE/30 has trouble booting sometimes (despite a recap) so more often than not it’s a display piece.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

You could take it home and just not plug it in? I mean, yeah, it was a weird path they took, and it had its issues, but it’s still a pretty loving cool engineering design/piece of hardware.

Might as well leave it at the office then really haha. I did at least setup the Thunderbolt display that came with it to my mac in the office, even though it gets used like maybe once a month if that really. I should probably get that shipped to me as I'd use that. But I'd really need to reorganise my entire desk as my current monitor is a 32 inch LG.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

Just put Lightroom on it yesterday and it’s probably my fastest Lightroom machine. A 10yr machine I bought for $300 is the fastest computer I have rn :negative:

The AMD FirePro D700 really sings when paired with Adobe PhotoShop (especially pre-Creative Cloud but still good with CC version) for certain operations.

I'm running a Trashcan with D500s which are essentially downclocked 700s and OCLP'd it to Ventura, runs very respectably.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I was tempted to bid on this but I don't even have my iMac (pro) yet.

$400 to max out iMac Pro memory but I would have to shuck it first.

OWC wants $3200 for the same ram kit.

Apple charges $5200 for the 256GB option so if you extrapolate that's $10,400 for 512GB.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/28/imac-pro-256gb-ram-only-at-time-of-purchase/

The above article says there's some difference between different era iMac Pros where some won't take more than 256GB. But the OWC page for their upgrade kit doesn't mention any compatibility issues so :shrug:

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 31, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I was tempted to bid on this but I don't even have my iMac (pro) yet.

$400 to max out iMac Pro memory but I would have to shuck it first.

OWC wants $3200 for the same ram kit.

Apple charges $5200 for the 256GB option so if you extrapolate that's $10,400 for 512GB.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/28/imac-pro-256gb-ram-only-at-time-of-purchase/

The above article says there's some difference between different era iMac Pros where some won't take more than 256GB. Must be hardware based since they probably all run the same EFI. My iMac Pro is a BTO model but no idea if it would even take 512GB.

tbh i’d be careful about buying imac ram from a place you can’t return it

we upgraded my so’s imac with 128gb of ram from owc and it would hang sporadically with no findable memory errors. we replaced with a set from i want to say crucial maybe, i can’t remember, which fixed all the issues.

it didn’t appear to be a detectable problem with a specific chip, either, i found posts from someone in the same situation. the samsung stuff is probably fine but you never know i guess. either way owc is now on my sketchy oems list

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 31, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah I'd never go for OWC parts when I can get brand name for mom/storage. If the market rate is $400 for 512GB I'm not even going to consider OWCs $3200 kit.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Take it to the PYF diary forum brother.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

American McGay posted:

Take it to the PYF diary forum brother.

it’s fine content for this thread simmer down

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Hey everyone! I'm weighing between purchasing a $100 2014 Mac Mini, or a similarly sized (and slightly more affordable) Windows 10 mini pc. I'd like to hear your advice on the matter.

My usage case for a small form factor computer would be just having something to connect to a projector and browse youtube videos with a firefox account syncing whatever tabs I have opened on my other devices. Pretty much just something for video streaming while I try to go to sleep.

I like the idea of buying used computers because it's cheaper and I want to help stop e-waste. What I'm curious about is how good a 2014 Mac mini would be against viruses versus a Windows pc that I'm sure I could upgrade to Windows 11 for that wonderful Windows Defender. I'm not opposed to installing something like Linux Mint on the Mac Mini if that would help it be more up to date security-wise, but I have no idea if that would help.

The last concern I would have is over fan noise tbh.

Pardon the noob questions, I never really interacted with Apple products before.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Get the windows machine imo probably like an N95 one

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

Get the windows machine imo probably like an N95 one

Are you telling me to get a Windows 95 pc? Or like an Intel n95 one?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Did you already rule out a Chromecast? Seems you just want a video endpoint.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

god please help me posted:

Are you telling me to get a Windows 95 pc? Or like an Intel n95 one?

Lol an intel N95 or this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Did you already rule out a Chromecast? Seems you just want a video endpoint.

Or hell an Apple TV?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Ah, thanks for the clarification! I hadn't heard of that Intel model before, my bad. Beelinks are good computers (I'm typing from one right now actually! The GTR7), and I thought about getting another one. But then I saw those used Windows 10 and Mac mini computers for like $65 - 80 and started considering buying a used PC.

Regarding Chromecast/Apple TV, yeah I just want an video endpoint. I got spooked because I tried screen mirroring from my current Windows 11 pc to both of my Roku devices, and had no luck connecting despite one of them being one room over. Maybe a dedicated chromecast dongle or something more modern would work? I know my pc can cast it's display, because I had it cast its display to my Samsung phone when I didn't have a monitor for a while.

An additional reason why I didn't consider it because I'm so spoiled by firefox's tab sync feature and Ublock origin for killing youtube ads.

I guess the next step for me would to research chromecast and Apple TVs, and see which one would be better for me, thank you!

god please help me fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 1, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I moved over from my Chromecast Ultra to the Apple TV, it’s night and day. Also Steam Link actually works great on it, so it’s been nice playing couch video games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also if you are concerned about noise I’m just not so sure how great those used machines would actually be.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Being able to block youtube ads and transfer youtube links I have stored up on my phone is more important to me than noise. I just remember my previous tower PC being very audible every time it was powered on. Meanwhile, the used mini PCs don't seem that noisy in comparison at least.

I'm still researching how I might get my ridiculously large amount of Firefox youtube tabs that I keep around for my insomnia, but I'm thinking that I like the idea of being to use Steam Link for gaming too. :)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Being able to block youtube ads and transfer youtube links I have stored up on my phone is more important to me than noise. I just remember my previous tower PC being very audible every time it was powered on. Meanwhile, the used mini PCs don't seem that noisy in comparison at least.

I'm still researching how I might get my ridiculously large amount of Firefox youtube tabs that I keep around for my insomnia, but I'm thinking that I like the idea of being to use Steam Link for gaming too. :)

An Apple TV won’t have a web browser, you’d be using the YouTube app, so you’d get ads.

If you’re already in the Apple ecosystem a Mac mini would be good because you can use airdrop, iCloud, etc so it’s easy to move stuff around between devices.

If you aren’t then you’re probably better served with a PC of some kind since there are many more price points and form factors to choose from.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’d point out it’s pretty trivial to “move to India” or some other dollar advantaged part of the world for about 10 minutes and buy a year of YouTube Premium for like $12. It’s a bit much for your average Joe Q Manondahstreet I’ll give you but the process is pretty simple to follow. I should type it up at some point.

Regardless your path forward here is likely some media dongle, most likely GoogleTV or whatever they’re calling it now. It’s all Android so you ought to be able to side load some ad free player or whatever. I personally have a whole setup using Plex and YouTube-DLP so I can do what you’re trying here, but again that’s a bit more involved than you’re average Joe will be willing to out up with.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My usage case for a small form factor computer would be just having something to connect to a projector and browse youtube videos with a firefox account syncing whatever tabs I have opened on my other devices. Pretty much just something for video streaming while I try to go to sleep.
You could get a Raspberry Pi, they’re actually available again

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

I’d probably recommend the Chromecast with Google TV and sideload something like SmartTube.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

you could get a refurbished USFF office PC for less than $100 and it would do fine pulling HTPC duty if you’re not planning to run resource intensive games on it. It should be able to run Steam Link fine tho.

An Apple TV will run Steam link and you could Airplay your YouTube playlist from a phone or tablet to it. A Roku will also do Airplay now, and I play a lot of YouTube that way on my kitchen TV, but no Steam Link.

I would avoid an Intel Mac Mini and instead try to get a (preowned?) M1 or M2 instead if you can spring the cash. It’ll be much more capable and run cooler. A Mac Mini is nice because it has an integrated power supply, unlike all of the USFF PCs and it has plenty of grunt for emulation or a relatively limited stable of Mac compatible games. Steam Link is obviously no problem there.

Once you’re spending Mac Mini money tho, it opens you up to a much wider Mini PC market, there’s a lot of powerful AMD boxes out there now. You could even do a relatively low-power build, or get a Steam Deck and run your YouTube tabs off of that.

The easiest/cheapest thing to do might be to find a way to cast your playlist from a phone or tablet tho (Roku stick, probably).

Edit: TLDR: reread your OP. For $100 a newer USFF PC will be light years ahead of a 2014 Mini. I would not get a 2014 Mini. Still, I think an Apple TV or Roku might serve your needs better. An M1 Mini for $400 off SAMart (I don’t know how much they sell for) would be a sick little HTPC but that’s way out of your budget.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 1, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Agree with pretty much everybody else:

If you care more about ad-free YouTube experience without paying for Premium, a Google TV dongle + sideloaded YouTube apps is the way to go.

If you care more about Apple ecosystem integration, an Apple TV will provide a far better user experience than the Google TV, but no ad-free YouTube without paying for it.

If you want something in between, a Mac Mini may work, but even then, a cheaper miniPC will be faster and more up to date.

I should get around to installing YouTube DLP on my Sony TV's Android OS. Admiteddly, most of my YouTube usage is done at my desk in my office, so the need isn't as big for me.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 1, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I have YouTube Premium and I watch 90% of it via AirPlay and linking the apps and I don’t see ads when connecting to Rokus or Airplay-enabled Samsung TVs

There was a brief period a few months ago, after Youtube changed their app’s Airplay settings so that instead of true Airplay it just launched a Youtube app on the device and linked to it, where it would show ads on that device regardless of your user status

but my assumption is that they immediately changed that after people got pissed, because the “forced ad” behavior went away with the subsequent update

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I have YouTube Premium and I don’t see ads

isn’t that the point?

were they somehow requiring ads even if you laid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Weirdly enough if you gently caress they punish you with ads. It's in the TOS.