Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Nenonen posted:

That's why we call them as batteries in Finnish.

Funny thing swedish people in finland call them batteries too. And it confuses people back in real sweden when we use that word for them. But it sounds much better IMO. Just fits.

Whoops, what a lovely page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I'm the melted housing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm the plumber with a brick of lead, a flamethrower, and no flux.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I'm fuckin losing my mind at this. The burned stud is honestly my lowest tier concern.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

God, I think that may be the messiest solder job I've ever seen in the wild.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The flexible hot water supply is my personal favorite. But I hope everyone realizes this entire combination is swinging wildly like a pendulum on multiple axis, because diverter is not secured to anything

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

After seeing the arcing radiator, I was assuming that shower mixer/diverter was another spicy water supply casualty. Granted, I had no idea what the cold water supply would be shorting to in that scenario, but nails find a way.

I guess lovely plumber makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Got a home inspection done. This one made the inspector laugh.

He did also say he appreciated it because it was super convenient to plug in his radon detector.

There was band equipment in that area when I first looked at the place, so I think it was for amps to be plugged in.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This has gotta be fake, right?

https://twitter.com/HowThingsWork_/status/1696870281107714384

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I like the idea that after setting the stud on fire they decided they couldn't be trusted with a blowtorch anymore and hooked up the other side with a washing machine hose.

Edit: The plywood isn't scorched, meaning that probably wasn't a field repair by a homeowner that solders one pipe a year. Apprentice's first day?

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 30, 2023

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Correct

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Everything on the Internet is fake. Even this.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

I like the idea that after setting the stud on fire they decided they couldn't be trusted with a blowtorch anymore and hooked up the other side with a washing machine hose.

Edit: The plywood isn't scorched, meaning that probably wasn't a field repair by a homeowner that solders one pipe a year. Apprentice's first day?

They attached the rest of the joints somewhere else, maybe outside. That's the only spot where they had to connect it to the cold supply that was already in place.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
No, I meant if the house was already built and this was a diy job, the plywood on the back of the studs would be scorched too. So either this was a gut-it-to-the-studs remodel or that was done before the plywood and drywall went up, making it more possible it was the original plumber.

...or that whole sheet opens up like an access panel, which would be neat.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Why is the tub spout offset around nothing? Why does it have all these extra fittings? Why is the shower spout offset? That should be straight with a bronze threaded elbow. Where is the blocking? Where does the braided line go? Clearly it's the hot supply but why? Why is the back of the wall plywood!!! Where is the insulation. Who would put plumbing in an exterior wall? Why don't the burn marks extend to the plywood?

Edit, where is the edge of the plywood? It should be around 3-4' off the finished floor! Is it run vertical?

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 30, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My eyes keep getting drawn to the huge turds of adhesive that look like nothing ever actually contacted them

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

StormDrain posted:

Why is the tub spout offset around nothing? Why does it have all these extra fittings? Why is the shower spout offset? That should be straight with a bronze threaded elbow. Where is the blocking? Where does the braided line go? Clearly it's the hot supply but why? Why is the back of the wall plywood!!! Where is the insulation. Who would put plumbing in an exterior wall? Why don't the burn marks extend to the plywood?

Edit, where is the edge of the plywood? It should be around 3-4' off the finished floor! Is it run vertical?

Exterior sheathing run vertical is fine :shrug:

(assuming that is how the engineer specced it)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

ROJO posted:

Exterior sheathing run vertical is fine :shrug:

(assuming that is how the engineer specced it)

Someone knowledgeable was consulted on how to build this? Surely you jest.

At best someone looked up pictures of a house and took their best a drunken shot.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Plywood can be on interior walls eh. Does it happen for non crappy reasons?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

StormDrain posted:

California

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

On a Habitat for Humanity project the houses were mud bricks, covered with a lattice of thin flexible tree branches (wire and mulberry), then mudded over.
After gently patting the mud over the lattice, the local worker told us to throw it instead. It gave a much better spread and adhesion than patting.
He also crumpled up his empty pack of cigarettes and buried it in the wall.

https://www.devex.com/news/how-to-quake-proof-homes-try-mulberry-82251

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://i.imgur.com/6XQtFg1.mp4

Seems a bit suspicious.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Epitope posted:

Plywood can be on interior walls eh. Does it happen for non crappy reasons?

It goes up quickly to keep the elements out and then provides a base to attach most kinds of exterior siding that aren't brick. You could also attach brick.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Shifty Pony posted:

Seems a bit suspicious.

What in the cinnamon toast gently caress.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fuckin lost it when I got to the light fixture hung off of a tie down strap. What a perfect cherry on top of that ridiculousness

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

peanut posted:

He also crumpled up his empty pack of cigarettes and buried it in the wall.

For better spread and adhesion?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Arrath posted:

Fuckin lost it when I got to the light fixture hung off of a tie down strap. What a perfect cherry on top of that ridiculousness

That whole thing screams "I'll just throw this together real quick and go back and fix it later".

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Actually this makes the word make sense, this must be a parge coat in the traditional style.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/i8mzL9j.gifv

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm sure that concrete will set up just fine!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I mean, at this point, it can’t not!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Beef Of Ages posted:

What in the cinnamon toast gently caress.

Jesse we have to wire

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

What a goddamn mess down below and I sure hope they bust rear end cleaning this section of formwork filled with dry gravel.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

StormDrain posted:

What a goddamn mess down below and I sure hope they bust rear end cleaning this section of formwork filled with dry gravel.

Narrator: They did not.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
They couldn't be arsed to move the pipe 90 degrees off the forms, I'm quite sure they aren't cleaning anything.

"It's all concrete" :effort:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

average american poo poo session

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Detheros posted:

average american poo poo session

Only because that pipe went to Taco Bell

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Like, how?