Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

If you had to pick between Starfield or BG3, which?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Baldur's Gate 3 by a country mile. I had more fun exploring, more fun in combat, found the writing to be more engaging and I think it looks better. It came out of nowhere to probably be my favorite game of the year in a year packed with loving amazing games. I can't recommend it enough.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Strongly suggest doing the Lair of the Mantis quest as soon as you find it. It’s a cool story but you also get a rad ship at the end.

It’s in a level 30 system and there are some tough fights but you can do it. I managed it at like level 9.

edit: oh my god and some rad gear this poo poo rules

how do you get past the laser turret tunnel? theres a master lvl hack there which i cant do yet, is there another way?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

BG3BG3BG3

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

oh interesting

Unormal posted:

im having fun reading this post

lmao the usual mediocre game defenders are here

don't let us in suspense, share your fun experiences in starfield, we're all ears :allears:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

It is genuinely pretty funny how you can just play as knowing loving nothing.

"Huh? Grav Drive?" "What's a Terrormorph?" "What is this 'boost pack' thing?" "What do you mean the government?"

Doubly so when you have an origin where it is hilarious you don't know any of that stuff. Why yes I am a talented and skilled bounty hunter who has never heard of any of the major world governments, the most dangerous creature in the galaxy, any of the bandit gangs romaing the star system, or the concept of oxygen.

(As a side note "Terrormorph" is easily the dumbest name for a knockoff Xenomorph.)

I was really expecting the terror morph to be the boss of that little research station but I guess... later?!

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Das Butterbrot posted:

iirc STALKER works like that :v:

if you third person in stalker your character gets a little bit taller and you can't fit through some passages

stalker owns

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
HDR is completely broken for this game makes blacks look like greys on my OLED screen

Omnicarus posted:

BG3 and it's not close. Starfield is a good game, but in this state it's not on the same tier.

mA fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 1, 2023

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Wait if we have the solar system in the game, why the gently caress has no one gone to Uranus yet

Or is that too low brow for Bethesda

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Omnicarus posted:

BG3 is actually good, so play that one

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Omnicarus posted:

I'd say they're very different games and hard to compare.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Zlodo posted:

I've noticed that when people really have fun in a game they don't say "I'm having fun", instead they recount various fun anecdotes that happened to them in the game

if all you can muster is "i'm having fun" it means it's a mediocre game where nothing stands out

Lot of this when Cyberpunk launched as well.

"I'm having a blast!" :dogstare:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zlodo posted:

don't let us in suspense, share your fun experiences in starfield, we're all ears :allears:

It was pretty funny when I walk in on barret telling some pirates about the unicorn he met. The pirate is like "ok yeah, and king Arthur was riding it?" I let those pirates live because they were respectful.

I also walked some stupid miner over to the middle of nowhere and was really annoyed at first because it was a long walk, but his little lines during the walk sort of made up for it. "Wow I shouldn't have parked so far away. Fortunately you won't have to walk back- uhhh I mean because we will fly back. In my space ship." That guy died.

Its a decent game so far.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Play posted:

The UI is horrendous. Honestly it looks like something I would make in illustrator, and I suck dirty rear end at illustrator so I only do basic flat shapes.

In the game and in reality yeah.

Indeed I'm not loving it so far. I'll play it through, because there are things I really like about it. But the terrible UI, lack of maps, washed out colors and uninspired worldbuilding is holding it back big time. Comparing it to the other games I'm currently playing (AC6, BG3, Blasphemous 2, Shadow Gambit and Sea of Stars) and imo it doesn't compare favorably to any of them. Need to put in more hours though, I'm hoping once I get more used to the systems I'll enjoy the gameplay loop more.

I'm also not really feeling it. The story just throws you into it, some random dude just says "lol here's my robot and a spaceship because you touched a funny piece of metal, have fun!"

But not even nitpicking stuff like that, just kludging through the menus that are all form over function, it somehow manages to feel less deep than No Man's Sky in its exploration and that game is procedurally generated sameness over and over again

Not to just be a complainer, the shooty bits don't feel completely terrible, but it's the usual RPG style bullshit where the combat doesn't even become interesting until you're level 10 and have some perks actually invested. Wait, I'm just complaining again...

There's truly some stuff to like, but it feels like the game also works against you in many ways :shrug:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

I was really expecting the terror morph to be the boss of that little research station but I guess... later?!

You didn't kill it? I just shot it until it died.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

You didn't kill it? I just shot it until it died.

I didn't even see it. Where was it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

mA posted:

I generally like Bethesda jank RPGs and I have over 10 hours in. In this state, it's a 7/10 for me--good and sometimes great. I think future mods will probably make it a bit better. I pulled myself away from BG3 to play this, and If I had to do it again, I would have just waited for game pass release.

what's a game pass?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

I turned on the scanners and then it popped out of the ground.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

same, kept expecting it to jump out but it never did :iiam:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

SHISHKABOB posted:

its scuttling about on kreet.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Zlodo posted:

sorry that people are declaring the game is fun in this, a thread devoted to discussing the game and our feelings about it, rather than adhering to your weird standard that you have invented, in your head

I just spent about two hours exploring New Atlantis and talking to people and poking my nose into places and talking to random shopkeepers. I haven't enjoyed just exploring a place in a Bethesda game this much since Vivec City. Is it perfect? gently caress no. Too many loading screens, no way to tell if someone is Citizen or Actual Character without getting close, and they should have used procgen to fill out whole skyscrapers with apartments like in Shadows of Doubt. But it's fun as hell. I spent all my money on random shopping for the purposes of fashion and being a gourmand and now I have picked up some missions to do and stop being flat broke.

Idk the game has flaws that will stop it ever being a 10/10 or a BG3-killer or anything even under the best possible circumstances (Someone needs fired over the UX decisions) but the people who are positively gleeful about the game being bad, and ignoring all the people saying "It's good, actually" because they want to be gleeful about other people being disappointed instead of having fun, are very weird. Not a new phenomenon, but still weird.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

no man's sky has totally broken my brain, every time i get to a new system in starfield, i am landing on every planet and scanning every mineral, creature and plant on all of them before moving on to a new sysyem

help

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Omnicarus posted:

BG3 its not even close

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

I turned on the scanners and then it popped out of the ground.

I must have walked right past that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Macichne Leainig posted:

I'm also not really feeling it. The story just throws you into it, some random dude just says "lol here's my robot and a spaceship because you touched a funny piece of metal, have fun!"

the real issue with the beginning is how short and anticlimactic it is, and when the constellation guy shows up there's really no option to just say "yeah, no thanks, you're crazy. see ya."

even if you act reluctant, the only convincing they do is one line saying something along the lines of "well, you see, you're part of this now too bad". they should've had some other reason to make it so joining them was your only option, like maybe the visions leave you in some weakened state that they offer to cure for you, or some reason you need their help.

it's just lazy the way it's written. they might as well have just had an opening cutscene and you're already working for constellation when you start. they already basically have that backstory for you, it's just a mining company instead.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

no man's sky has totally broken my brain, every time i get to a new system in starfield, i am landing on every planet and scanning every mineral, creature and plant on all of them before moving on to a new sysyem

help

You get little survey data notes I think when you 100% a planet so I think you can just sell them for cash.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bad Purchase posted:

the real issue with the beginning is how short and anticlimactic it is, and when the constellation guy shows up there's really no option to just say "yeah, no thanks, you're crazy. see ya."

even if you act reluctant, the only convincing they do is one line saying something along the lines of "well, you see, you're part of this now too bad". they should've had some other reason to make it so joining them was your only option, like maybe the visions leave you in some weakened state that they offer to cure for you, or some reason you need their help.

it's just lazy the way it's written. they might as well have just had an opening cutscene and you're already working for constellation when you start. they already basically have that backstory for you, it's just a mining company instead.

I like having the mining opening sequence actually. I even love that I picked the Industrialist trait for my character and they gave me poo poo for becoming rich, and then purportedly losing it all because I ended up a loser rear end miner again.

But yeah you still have to have quite some suspension of disbelief for some of the plot in the first few hours it seems?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The companions really need to shut up about me picking poo poo up. I don't care if they think I have too much.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Good news, the Levitation Act has been repealed. This guy just floated right up when I approached.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Zlodo posted:

what are you trying to accomplish

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i don't think it's surprising that people are defensive when you have a bunch of weirdos who treat playing a bethesda game as a Video Games Crime

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Chillmatic posted:

Lot of this when Cyberpunk launched as well.

"I'm having a blast!" :dogstare:

Sharing anecdotes about things that happened in games is p lame tho

Like, that's not something I'm likely to do in any situation no matter how much I'm loving a game. Games don't get in my feelings like that, I either enjoy playing them or I don't.

Macichne Leainig posted:

But not even nitpicking stuff like that, just kludging through the menus that are all form over function, it somehow manages to feel less deep than No Man's Sky in its exploration and that game is procedurally generated sameness over and over again

Not to just be a complainer, the shooty bits don't feel completely terrible, but it's the usual RPG style bullshit where the combat doesn't even become interesting until you're level 10 and have some perks actually invested. Wait, I'm just complaining again...

There's truly some stuff to like, but it feels like the game also works against you in many ways :shrug:

Yeah you do a good job summing it up. That being said, I'm really hoping that once I break out of the intro mission pattern, fill out my skills a bit, start upgrading guns and suits reliably and get off the beaten path it'll be better.

But I'm not super confident that will be the case. We'll see. it seems a bit stuck between what it wanted. Like the worst parts of both fallout 4 and that procgen space game mashed together, with a terrible UI put on top. That makes it sound worse than it is though, really it's just 'bleh'. At least so far.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Bad Purchase posted:

Yeah, and they could have at least given the illusion of some fun role-playing options. Like if there was a dialog choice to go along with what the guy is saying, but as a [Lie] with your character planning to ditch the robot and steal the ship. Even if they want things to stay on a particular track they could sprinkle in more flavor.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you must admit starfield is bad and bethesda doesn't know how to design a game at all.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I guess Mercury is technically the best place to get a tan.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dramicus posted:

The companions really need to shut up about me picking poo poo up. I don't care if they think I have too much.

it took me waaaayyy too long to realize that being overburdened would lower your O2 levels when moving around. Kept thinking that my suit was running out of O2 and so i sprinted through every enemy, trying to get to the end of the first dungeon and getting mad that i never had enough time before my person ran out of air and suffocated

when it finally clicked that O2 = stamina, i felt very silly

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Omnicarus posted:

Play Starfield first on Gamepass. It's a fun little game if you don't have any great expectations. Then go all in on BG3. Baldur's Gate will completely ruin Starfield for you, the writing, quest design, locations, reactivity of the world, characters and especially (!!) the voice acting are so, so much better that going to Starfield from BG3 feels like taking a header into an inflatable kiddie pool after swimming in the pacific.

Edit: One positive thing about Starfield, I really like the "spaciness" of the music. Just hanging out in the game with the music playing is pretty relaxing.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 1, 2023

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Popelmon posted:

Play Starfield first on Gamepass. It's a fun little game if you don't have any great expectations. Then go all in on BG3. Baldur's Gate will completely ruin Starfield for you, the writing, quest design, locations, reactivity of the world, characters and especially (!!) the voice acting are so, so much better that going to Starfield from BG3 feels like taking a header into an inflatable kiddie pool after swimming in the pacific.

Edit: One positive thing about Starfield, I really like the "spaciness" of the music. Just hanging out in the game with the music playing is pretty relaxing.

Agreed - do this if you haven't played either game.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Cool that the game crashes to Home Screen any time I fast travel to my home planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Rando ship landed close-ish, went over there and shot all the baddies in the face, then took the ship to a space port and streamlined it down, selling all the excess. Had some fun, got a new spaceship, and made a lotta credits all at once.

I just need to find some good vendors to sell all the spacesuits and guns, wanna be a space billionaire.

Omnicarus posted:

BG3 is great, deep, reactive CRPG. Starfield is a space themed looter shooter. BG3 is definitely the "better" game but I like both for different reasons.