Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Woolie Wool posted:

Brittle, unstable societies like the Russian Federation rarely comprehend the idea of a society like America being resilient enough to just not give a gently caress about someone trying to undermine it. To a lot of Russian propagandists, the idea that American liberals might not decide to murder or disappear Cucker Tarlson is unthinkable, because it is unthinkable to them that any country could just shrug off such a demagogue. They are so used to brutality papering over internal weakness they don't even recognize true strength when they see it.

To be fair not giving a gently caress about them and doing absolutely nothing got us 1/6, so while we shouldn't like, you know, crush them like a dictatorship would I'm not sure just letting them scream fire while also preparing to set an actual fire is good. I'm talking about like fines and revoking FCC licenses and etc.

We laugh because tucker is down and out now but at his peak he was making life in america actively worse by being the spearhead of fox news brain poison and he was one of the main parties responsible for getting my mom to go from generic grouchy old person to blood and soil hooting loon. I highly doubt ours was the only household affected by his bullshit. Him getting the boot probably helped undo some of the rot in american democracy as much as trump finally getting busted did.

Dugin/Russian intel's attempt to destabilize the west almost worked, if they had kept doing it liberal democracy would've just kept rotting away into trump/hungarian style il-liberal strongman democracies but then Putin decided to have an Adventure.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

All of this talk about using helicopters to take out drones is ridiculous in light of the fact that there's already a solution out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAYVyj6vf3Y

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
American eagles, trained to take out drones using shotguns. Are you man enough? Sign up now and YOUR American Eagle gets a free upgrade to the New And Improved AR-15!

I didn't watch the video, but that's what I'm assuming it is.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ronwayne posted:

To be fair not giving a gently caress about them and doing absolutely nothing got us 1/6, so while we shouldn't like, you know, crush them like a dictatorship would I'm not sure just letting them scream fire while also preparing to set an actual fire is good. I'm talking about like fines and revoking FCC licenses and etc.

We laugh because tucker is down and out now but at his peak he was making life in america actively worse by being the spearhead of fox news brain poison and he was one of the main parties responsible for getting my mom to go from generic grouchy old person to blood and soil hooting loon. I highly doubt ours was the only household affected by his bullshit. Him getting the boot probably helped undo some of the rot in american democracy as much as trump finally getting busted did.

Dugin/Russian intel's attempt to destabilize the west almost worked, if they had kept doing it liberal democracy would've just kept rotting away into trump/hungarian style il-liberal strongman democracies but then Putin decided to have an Adventure.

But did it really, though? The January 6 putschists failed to garner any support from the military (January 6 is often compared to the Beer Hall Piutsch from Weimar Germany, which had one of the very highest military leaders of Germany during WWI, Erich von Ludendorff, as one of its primary participants!), they had no real plan, they had no idea for what a putschist government would look like (the Beer Hall Putsch participants, by contrast, immediately started to try to put together a replacement national government while the putsch was still in progress). it failed to spread sympathy for Trumpism beyond active Trumpists. There has been no Mein Kampf to come out of January 6, no legend of MAGA victimization that has taken hold outside of the core MAGA cult. The primary beneficiary of January 6, in fact, seems to be Biden-aligned centrist neolibs, who have overseen a major centrist retrenchment since then.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

fondue posted:

All of this talk about using helicopters to take out drones is ridiculous in light of the fact that there's already a solution out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAYVyj6vf3Y

This is a better solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOnjlyZf6LE

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
They made a runestone to celebrate the brave slaying of that horrible flying beast.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

E: fb

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FMguru posted:

They made a runestone to celebrate the brave slaying of that horrible flying beast.

Still better batting average than the Russian military air defenses.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

But did it really, though? The January 6 putschists failed to garner any support from the military (January 6 is often compared to the Beer Hall Piutsch from Weimar Germany, which had one of the very highest military leaders of Germany during WWI, Erich von Ludendorff, as one of its primary participants!), they had no real plan, they had no idea for what a putschist government would look like (the Beer Hall Putsch participants, by contrast, immediately started to try to put together a replacement national government while the putsch was still in progress). it failed to spread sympathy for Trumpism beyond active Trumpists. There has been no Mein Kampf to come out of January 6, no legend of MAGA victimization that has taken hold outside of the core MAGA cult. The primary beneficiary of January 6, in fact, seems to be Biden-aligned centrist neolibs, who have overseen a major centrist retrenchment since then.

We came very very close to an insanely dark chapter in history, EVEN IF THEY DID NOT WIN 1/6. It wasn't even 1/6 failing that was the turn around for maga, it was that it didn't cause a cascade of other right wing shitheads storming state capitols, which we were very close to. Fascists are cowards but thinking you are immune to consequences is a powerful substitute for bravery. Throwing enough of the trash in jail and shooting shitheads like MAGA the headless nailgunner are what threw them back and I don't think there was any garuntee that was going to happen.The military was going to stand on the sidelines of a domestic dispute.

I will not brush it off as "oh, the system works!" The system came dangerously loving close to failing and pointing and laughing at the shitshow of russia involves a LOT of whistling-past-the-graveyard.

"That couldn't happen here, we've got too much democracy to fail!" is not an assumption I'm willing to make.

There's also the fact that you know, the assholes who did the Putsch got out of jail, had another go, and eventually defeated the republic. We ain't out of the poo poo yet, although this is a major victory, it was just one battle, the war ain't over, especially as climate change squeezes the entire world more and more and the pissed off remains of the reactionary upper middle class look for scapegoats to vent their rage on.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 1, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Uncle Sam is sending $192 million dollars worth of AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles. These are the primary air-to-air weapons used by USAF aircraft. The contract is expected to be completed by Nov 29, 2024 and as typical with these contracts, will be made of scheduled fulfillment shipments until the contracted number of missiles are sent. There's no comment on how many missiles $192 million gets you, but napkin math estimates tells me that an AIM-120 costs about $1.37 million per missile to make, so Ukraine's getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 130-140 missiles.

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/u-s-orders-aim-120-missiles-for-ukraine/

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ronwayne posted:

We came very very close to an insanely dark chapter in history, EVEN IF THEY DID NOT WIN 1/6. It wasn't even 1/6 failing that was the turn around for maga, it was that it didn't cause a cascade of other right wing shitheads storming state capitols, which we were very close to. Fascists are cowards but thinking you are immune to consequences is a powerful substitute for bravery. Throwing enough of the trash in jail and shooting shitheads like MAGA the headless nailgunner are what threw them back and I don't think there was any garuntee that was going to happen.The military was going to stand on the sidelines of a domestic dispute.

I will not brush it off as "oh, the system works!" The system came dangerously loving close to failing and pointing and laughing at the shitshow of russia involves a LOT of whistling-past-the-graveyard.

"That couldn't happen here, we've got too much democracy to fail!" is not an assumption I'm willing to make.

Had Putin waited for 10 years and kept the troll farm along with the political influencing campaigns rolling, EU would have sat this one out, or helped Russia to divide Ukraine between the border regions given to EU members, and Russia proper.

Even now Germany and France had to be ridiculed and pressured into doing what is right by UK, led by Boris Johnson who did it for absolutely self-serving reasons. Other minor EU partners who raised concerns were told to shut up and sit down. This is something that should be never forgotten.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 1, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

We got very lucky with the timing that existing anti-liberal democratic leaders got scrambled. Bolsonero out, Trump out, Le Pen didn't win. The italian nazi came aboard too late to throw in, and Edrogan thankfully wants to gently caress with russia as much as europe.

Look how much trouble Hungary by itself is causing, imagine if it had enough countries instead of just Poland backing its wrecker attempts.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i have been wondering about why poland is backing the wrecking and yet lusts for russian blood

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Just Another Lurker posted:

Not American but i would be in favour of him being inhumed purely as a matter of good taste and the general uplifting of humanity.

Your Avatar just makes the whole thing work! Thank you tankie!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
being against tucker carlson is not a fuckin tankie position lol

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i have been wondering about why poland is backing the wrecking and yet lusts for russian blood

Because they both are getting huge payout in benefits from EU that would dry out immediately if they stop vetoing actions against each other.

If Poland gets a new government they might stop doing this, but its still a very much *if* at this point.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

Uncle Sam is sending $192 million dollars worth of AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles. These are the primary air-to-air weapons used by USAF aircraft. The contract is expected to be completed by Nov 29, 2024 and as typical with these contracts, will be made of scheduled fulfillment shipments until the contracted number of missiles are sent. There's no comment on how many missiles $192 million gets you, but napkin math estimates tells me that an AIM-120 costs about $1.37 million per missile to make, so Ukraine's getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 130-140 missiles.

the award posted:

This contract provides for Raytheon purchasing fielded AMRAAM weapons from various sources.

This implies old stock, and old AMRAAMs were much cheaper than the new ones, so that's probably quite a lot more than a 140 missiles.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

being against tucker carlson is not a fuckin tankie position lol

mayhaps I am wrong but I read it like plan r was thanking the av buyer whom I thought we discovered was weg, does that mean weg is a tankie? Or was the weg thing a joke? Too many layers for my brain to parse here in the Ukraine War thread.

Putin is a poo poo and also his pants

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dick Bastardly posted:

mayhaps I am wrong but I read it like plan r was thanking the av buyer whom I thought we discovered was weg, does that mean weg is a tankie? Or was the weg thing a joke? Too many layers for my brain to parse here in the Ukraine War thread.

This was my understanding, too.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gently caress

irony poisoning strikes again

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Polish gov't hates the gays more than they hate Russia. EU would stop funding both governments if they could to pressure them into expanding rights, so Poland and Hungary are veto covering for each other.

Conservative religious groups deciding to side with fascism over secular democracy is a tale as old as time.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 1, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Dick Bastardly posted:

weg is cool, they were ironic hillaries

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/maybeawriter/status/1697707834018845125?s=20

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1697712788326531141?s=20

Ukrainian units advancing broadly across the front, especially in the Tokmak direction. The fighting has reached the second line of Russian defenses at Verbove, threatening Russians still defending the first line of defense east of Robotyne with being flanked if they don't withdraw.

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1697706350493540494?s=20

Ukraine has demilitarized $1.2 billion USD worth of Russian equipment using only drones and their homebuilt Neptune missiles. In two weeks that includes 2 Tu-22M3 strategic bombers, 4 Il-76 strategic transports, an S-400 launcher, and a Predel-E radome.

Vatnik propaganda is saying 70,000 Ukrainians have been killed and wounded in the counteroffensive alone lol, such nonsense being pronounced. I also saw a particularly ghoulish video released from The Right People Z telegram channel that was using onboard footage of a Russian Ka-52 helicopter being hit with a Javelin and the propagandists claimed it was video of a Ukrainian helicopter filming its own shootdown and death.

Except that Ukraine does not have any Ka-52s to shootdown and never did.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Dick Bastardly posted:

I guess I'll spoil the joke by admitting that I had nothing to do with the Hilling. TM just said I was responsible as a gag and I rolled with it to see what the response would be. As far as I know the buyer is the only one who knows who they are.

And I'm definitely not a tankie lol

I'm also going to try to be a bit more active here. Turns out moving and working lots of OT doesn't leave much time for posting. I'm sure everyone has been on the edge of their seats for more of my bad posts. I have been reading every page and there hasn't really been any reason for me to step in so thank you and keep it up lol

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

weg posted:

I guess I'll spoil the joke by admitting that I had nothing to do with the Hilling. TM just said I was responsible as a gag and I rolled with it to see what the response would be. As far as I know the buyer is the only one who knows who they are.

And I'm definitely not a tankie lol

I'm also going to try to be a bit more active here. Turns out moving and working lots of OT doesn't leave much time for posting. I'm sure everyone has been on the edge of their seats for more of my bad posts. I have been reading every page and there hasn't really been any reason for me to step in so thank you and keep it up lol

I would have honestly been disappointed if Hillarying was done as an ersatz art project by the new IK instead of someone who burned a rent money's worth of USD into giving their forums enemies a tag of shame that misfired hillaryously.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

HonorableTB posted:

Presumably these are for the F-16's, right? And whatever other western fighter jets may get added to the pile.

I'm confused why the US isn't committing to sending over any F-16's or F-15's, since it seems we're gradually replacing the old ones with F-35's anyway.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cicero posted:

Presumably these are for the F-16's, right? And whatever other western fighter jets may get added to the pile.

I'm confused why the US isn't committing to sending over any F-16's or F-15's, since it seems we're gradually replacing the old ones with F-35's anyway.

I think this is one of those red lines meaning that the EU-given planes need to be in use before US can promise to start replacing the lost ones. Indefinitely.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Plan R posted:

Your Avatar just makes the whole thing work! Thank you tankie!

:byetankie: Tucker delenda est. :hist101:

A little something for the weekend. :ukraine:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

They're also used in NASAMS but AFAICT Ukraine only has two deployed in-country (although they ordered 250m worth from Uncle Sam back in May)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1697716540592853186
Sickening.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I have information that will lead to the arrest of weg for Hilldawging the thread. It's right over there, just out of frame. :geno:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

Depending on what model they're sending it could be more missiles. I'd guess this will be the older end of the stockpile and probably not valued as high as a new production, newer model missile.

At the very least it's a bunch of medium range SAMs.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Just Another Lurker posted:

Not American but i would be in favour of him being inhumed purely as a matter of good taste and the general uplifting of humanity.

The guild has his price set quite high. Not because of the difficulty but based on the popularity of the idea.

Burns
May 10, 2008

This kid is likely not a native of the town but part of the replacement horde the Russians sent there. Probably sleeps in the bed of some dead Ukrainian child.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Burns posted:

This kid is likely not a native of the town but part of the replacement horde the Russians sent there. Probably sleeps in the bed of some dead Ukrainian child.

Or worse, one that was abducted to Russia

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Let's not speculate in regards to kids. It's gross what the russian regime did to the wee one and leave it at that.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
That's fair. The child's life was upended by Russia regardless and the important thing is stopping this from happening to more people

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's hosed up what they are doing to that kid, and it's hosed up what they are doing to basically every single Ukrainian kid directly and indirectly.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

tiaz posted:

On the other hand, obviously there are significant downdrafts and turbulence in the immediate vicinity of the helicopter, so that's probably quite difficult and maybe impossible to do.

Come in from above and let the downdraft do the work.

I'm seeing a situation where a helicopter is distracted engaging a pizzabox type drone and an efpv is launched nearby to intercept the helo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

A Ukrainian family found this on the beach at Odesa. :unsmith: