Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Araxxor posted:

Message blocks also had more to actually say about a given mechanic or a specific hint for that part of the level.

...And how do we know that the flowers won't do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is it possible Mario might actually be gay?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mons Hubris posted:

...And how do we know that the flowers won't do that?
Literally everything they've shown so far.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Heck if you've seen the trailer you don't need to play the game at all, you've already experienced it!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Meowywitch posted:

Is it possible Mario might actually be gay?

Depends on whether it's gay to have your dick sucked by a flower.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm starting to suspect op didn't see the extensive 15 minute direct that was straight up footage and detailed explanations of every last mechanic in this very simple 2d platformer

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

maybealabia posted:

I just assumed since you obviously work at Nintendo

Oh.

No, see, Waluigi being playable would go against the spirit of his character. Waluigi is a shadow of a shadow; a counterpart to a second banana. He can’t even make it to being a proper platformer character. His existence is a sad joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... wait, are people seriously suggesting that a Nintendo game will not have helpful characters who explain (or possibly over-explain) mechanics? Like seriously that is the argument here? "I bet they put these talking flowers into the game to do literally nothing despite nearly identical things being in other Mario games where they explain how to play the game."

That's loving dumb. Like seriously. That is being so blinded by your hatred of voice acting that you decide that Nintendo is going to make things less handholdy entirely so they can put flowers in to personally spite you.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

We already know the flowers will give you hints. There’s one bit in the Direct where the flower alludes to a secret you can get to with proper jumping.

Edit - also y’all are weird. The flower voice sounds like a normal dude.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
We have also already seen the flowers talking about stuff that aren't game mechanics. I don't understand why we are acting like they are literally message blocks when they are not.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I went back and watched that bit as I skimmed it the first time, I think "tepid Whedonisms" is being pretty dramatic.

- Onward and upward!
- How'd you get up here?
- What a pretty sunset...
- Timing is key...
- I wonder what Goombas taste like...
- Wonder if you can get over there...
- My poor withered roots... / You'd share your water with me?!

That's all they show. It seems like the most benign thing possible, hints to help younger kids and the occasional bonus token if you interact a certain way. They probably don't help an adult much, but still less dumb than the average dark souls "jump off a cliff" note. The signposting features from other users might fill that role I suppose.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Nodosaur posted:

Oh.

No, see, Waluigi being playable would go against the spirit of his character. Waluigi is a shadow of a shadow; a counterpart to a second banana. He can’t even make it to being a proper platformer character. His existence is a sad joke.

:oh:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I don't think that's the argument anyone is making. It's obvious the flowers will provide the occasion tool tip

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I love the voice acting. I hope they patch the talking flowers into Starfield

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just don’t like the voice they use and I’m gonna turn it off I’m not demanding less accessibility or whatever

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

No Wave posted:

We have also already seen the flowers talking about stuff that aren't game mechanics. I don't understand why we are acting like they are literally message blocks when they are not.

The % might be reversed with the flower, but there have been non-mechanics message blocks since there have been message blocks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I don't think that's the argument anyone is making. It's obvious the flowers will provide the occasion tool tip

American McGay posted:

Literally everything they've shown so far.

It's on the same page!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think I’d hate Cappy too if he had full voice acting. Some things shouldn’t talk imo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

hatty posted:

I just don’t like the voice they use and I’m gonna turn it off I’m not demanding less accessibility or whatever

Pretty much this it's not some weird hate boner for VAs or anti Nintendo thing...I just think they're annoying lol

Kind of like when anime games use generic vocalizations rather than VA every single line a la fire emblem awakening. "Alright!" "Let us battle now." "I am honored by the situation happening to us right now." Not a fan and I always turn it off for a more chill relaxed experience

ImpAtom posted:

It's on the same page!

Fair point yeah the trailer literally shows hints, but I think the trailer also showcases how spaced out or useless a lot of the quips are

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 1, 2023

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Not to be a buzzy beetle but the flower sounded like the ringcon ring so I'll be turning the voice off as soon as I find the options menu

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Pretty much this it's not some weird hate boner for VAs or anti Nintendo thing...I just think they're annoying lol

Kind of like when anime games use generic vocalizations rather than VA every single line a la fire emblem awakening. "Alright!" "Let us battle now." "I am honored by the situation happening to us right now." Not a fan and I always turn it off for a more chill relaxed experience

Fair point yeah the trailer literally shows hints, but I think the trailer also showcases how spaced out or useless a lot of the quips are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=688z-4SWxOQ

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Nintendo Live starts today, wasn't there someone in the thread who was going to do live on the scene reporting for us

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Y'all being real weird about a harmless talking flower in a Mario game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't believe goons are being weird about video games

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I listen to audiobooks, I'm used to this already :v:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Mega64 posted:

I dont think pointing out an annoying voice as being a games only apparent flaw(not even though since it can be turned off, flawless game)before release as being that weird

The thread should be getting horny for Elephant Peach and her big dumper instead

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just don't see what's so annoying about it. Like it's just a slightly upbeat guy.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Silver Falcon posted:

Y'all being real weird about a harmless talking flower in a Mario game.

"Harmless"?! Sounds like a bloodthirsty killer to me...

Electromax posted:

I went back and watched that bit as I skimmed it the first time, I think "tepid Whedonisms" is being pretty dramatic.

- I wonder what Goombas taste like...

:stare:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I asked Yoshi, he said they taste like "Yoshiiiii!"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkW4dJ5PF6c

You can hear a lot of the new voices in this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

"That goomba looks so serene" *KICK* "Well then!" actually made me laugh

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
"Heeeey."

"Hi!!!!!!"

Flower confirmed to be annoying af. Games looks good though

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I love the cheerful wry flower

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hmm the wonder mechanic is a really cool inversion on your typical level design where they build then crescendo into a sequence that uses all the introduced mechanics in a clever way

This time the shift to wonder mode seems to signal that crescendo but instead of elevating or highlighting level mechanics that were introduced, you gonna get some weird poo poo and I think that is going to go a long way toward keeping levels fun and memorable

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

"That goomba looks so serene" *KICK* "Well then!" actually made me laugh

i didnt know stewie family guy was the voice of the flowers

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Nodosaur posted:

I can't even comment on the voices yet because all the sound effects are gorgeous. Each player's jump having their own pitch of plucked string is beyond genius.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

KingSlime posted:

"Heeeey."

"Hi!!!!!!"

Flower confirmed to be annoying af. Games looks good though

Yeah, that video convinced me the flower must be turned off. I don't need to be told "woooow". I'll say it myself if something looks cool! (and the game honestly does look pretty fun, so I'm sure I will!)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ya’ll melting down over a flower’s voice is hilarious.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

nintendo thread gettin spicy today. mild spicy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq8-ONShIZQ