Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(BG 1) What's the way to kill the (named) Greater Wolfwere on Balduran's ship? It seems to be a puzzle boss of some kind, immune to all attacks, even the dagger I just found specifically for fighting lycanthropes. I just got in, got the spellbook for that ungrateful wizard prick and got out.

Okay, so the key there is to use wands of paralyzation. Still, he's tough, because it's actually highly probably that none of the characters will have proficiency with daggers or bastard swords. This is because in OG BG1, proficiences were divided into Large Swords and Small Swords, and the idea that you wouldn't have one of those in your party was unlikely.

But yeah, just use the wand, pepper him with spells, and he should EVENTUALLY go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

sweet geek swag posted:

Okay, so the key there is to use wands of paralyzation. Still, he's tough, because it's actually highly probably that none of the characters will have proficiency with daggers or bastard swords which the only weapons that can hurt him are classified as.. This is because in OG BG1, proficiences were divided into Large Swords and Small Swords, and the idea that you wouldn't have one of those in your party was unlikely.

But yeah, just use the wand, pepper him with spells, and he should EVENTUALLY go down.

Goddammit quote is not edit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you missed the other shapeshifter weapons (Kondar, wiki says Burning Earth and Albruin but it's the first I'm hearing of those being anti shapeshifter) your choices on the island are the dagger you found and the Sword of Balduran which you need to loot and equip during the fight.

You need to give those weapons to someones with multiple attacks per round to beat out his regen. If your fighters etc. don't have dagger and bastard sword proficiencies, paralyzing him helps greatly while also just avoiding his ridiculous attacks per round and THAC0. But you should also have a pack of THAC0 reducing junk like strength and heroism and power potions to make up for the lack of proficiency that can let you hit him fast enough to wear him down.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Got him, thanks.

I skimmed the wiki afterwards to check, but I don't seem to see any reasonable way for a male Gorion's Ward to leave the island in peace, so I'll just move on.

Should I do Durlag's Tower before or after the arctic island full of wizards?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 30, 2023

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jimbot posted:

I think SoA hits that sweet spot of mid to high level AD&D where things can get bananas but not super bananas and you can have a good time with it. High-level D&D always seemed like a friggan mess and Throne of Bhaal is no exception. Gotta take a HLA that gives me 10 attack per round with no penalty because that's like the baseline for most of the enemies.

I think this is the correct take, everything is a massive slogging clusterfuck of resistances and spells and protections and its just not that much fun. Early BG1 is the opposite, everyone whiffs or gets killed by an Xvart or something. BG 3 apparently only gets you to level 12 because of how overpowered and unfun and impossible to balance late game 5e is.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Got him, thanks.

I skimmed the wiki afterwards to check, but I don't seem to see any reasonable way for a male Gorion's Ward to leave the island in peace, so I'll just move on.

Should I do Durlag's Tower before or after the arctic island full of wizards?

Doesn't matter, but the ice island is pretty quick so I'd do that. You get a scroll of Stoneskin there, which is the best defensive spell in either game for mages

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Torquemada posted:

I think this is the correct take, everything is a massive slogging clusterfuck of resistances and spells and protections and its just not that much fun. Early BG1 is the opposite, everyone whiffs or gets killed by an Xvart or something. BG 3 apparently only gets you to level 12 because of how overpowered and unfun and impossible to balance late game 5e is.

Not that I disagree, but we all know that they really cut off there to milk a sequel.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

zedprime posted:

If you missed the other shapeshifter weapons (Kondar, wiki says Burning Earth and Albruin but it's the first I'm hearing of those being anti shapeshifter) your choices on the island are the dagger you found and the Sword of Balduran which you need to loot and equip during the fight.

You need to give those weapons to someones with multiple attacks per round to beat out his regen. If your fighters etc. don't have dagger and bastard sword proficiencies, paralyzing him helps greatly while also just avoiding his ridiculous attacks per round and THAC0. But you should also have a pack of THAC0 reducing junk like strength and heroism and power potions to make up for the lack of proficiency that can let you hit him fast enough to wear him down.

Apparently, and I am just learning this, there are toggalable hidden properties on weapons in addition to magical and cursed, specifically silver and cold iron. A number of weapons in BG1 and 2 have these toggles. All those weapons are toggled as silver apparently.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What does cold iron affect and what has it? I know it was a traditional weapon against fairies, just curious who it works against specifically.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know, i'm just gonna say it: i think cavaliers being able to use throwing weapons is a dev oversight

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

You know, i'm just gonna say it: i think cavaliers being able to use throwing weapons is a dev oversight

I dunno what is a dart but a really tiny lance that just kinda slips out of your hand

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

JustJeff88 posted:

Not that I disagree, but we all know that they really cut off there to milk a sequel.

Unlikely honestly. None of Larian’s recent offerings have done much with add ons, or direct sequels. Both DOS1 and 2 were extremely popular and got zero dlc.

From their established patterns of behavior there’s no real reason to believe the level 12 cut off was motivated by sequel baiting.

The reason high level spells are a problem for a Larian game when they aren’t in BG1/2/Neverwinter Nights is because Larian games focus on the ability to gently caress with the environment and have dumb ideas actually be acknowledged by the game world. So they would have to severely curtail that in light of the extent to which 7-9th level spells have minimal brakes.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

JustJeff88 posted:

If so, they're absolutely protesting too much. Every interview with the developers asks 'when are you going to plant a second free money tree?', and they all go 'not going to happen, we literally have better things to do with our time'.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Flowing Thot posted:

From what I recall she shut down her forums when people weren't supporting Ukraine enough or some such. Too many pro Russian posters. Yes that was the actual reason. Also she is like Dutch or something as well so it's extra weird.

Ahh i hadnt read that stuff lol but from what i read, her exile from the scene was cos of their eetool, and how it was changing and editting peoples mods for mega installs but the changes were done to make it work only with sandrah or some poo poo and causing all kinds of bugs and then stealling unreleased area art form another mod (seatower i think?) And everyone on all the big modding sites and beamdog were like yeah "enough of this poo poo, no one touch eetool or sandrah" and now bws is dead so we have to use project infinity which makes you do all the work so its a pain in the rear end to make a mega mod install now.

Probably for the best but its a kinda lovely program and i prefered how bws just did everything for you back in the day, downloads and mod orders. still, PI is better than forcing sandrah on people lol. Lmao.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am not sold on the main screen interface along the bottom or character creation, but oh my god I ADORE the bestiary and the general inventory is pretty rad, too.

Why, perhaps if I got into Baldur's Gate modding, I--

Yeah the bestiary rules, hes only done for the bg1 creatures and i dont like the red colour of the ui but drat what an add. The inventory screen is cool too but he does that in dragonspear ui so im just gonna use that

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
In BG 1, what skill is used for disarming traps? Right now I have both pick locks and find trap on Imoen at 90, which feels close to the maximum, but some of the traps on the second basement level are already pushing into "trap not disarmed" territory. From what I can tell, it's just a flat check, not a roll. She's still about 4838+ XP from the next level (which should translate to about 29028 XP gained by the party.)

There may be a quest or two not completed yet I could do. Balduran's Helm/Cloak, for instance.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Find Traps is also the disarm skill, iirc 100 Find Traps covers everything? Someone could correct me

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
According to this handy table, the highest difficulty ground trap in BG1 and SoD requires skill 90 to detect and 99 to disarm. For containers it's 91 to detect and 97 to disarm. It bases it on your find traps skill.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yikes... that 101 in BG2 :whitewater:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Great, thanks for the info. As it turned out, I didn't even need to leave to quest, the enemies there gave enough XP to kick Imoen up to level 9 to get her lockpick and traps up to 100/100 (I used a Perception potion found in the area to clear out a pile of traps as well.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Captain Oblivious posted:

Unlikely honestly. None of Larian’s recent offerings have done much with add ons, or direct sequels. Both DOS1 and 2 were extremely popular and got zero dlc.

From their established patterns of behavior there’s no real reason to believe the level 12 cut off was motivated by sequel baiting.

The reason high level spells are a problem for a Larian game when they aren’t in BG1/2/Neverwinter Nights is because Larian games focus on the ability to gently caress with the environment and have dumb ideas actually be acknowledged by the game world. So they would have to severely curtail that in light of the extent to which 7-9th level spells have minimal brakes.

Torquemada posted:

If so, they're absolutely protesting too much. Every interview with the developers asks 'when are you going to plant a second free money tree?', and they all go 'not going to happen, we literally have better things to do with our time'.

I'll believe it when I don't see it. I don't even blame them, frankly, if they do. They made what from all reports is a great game that made tons of dosh. It's one thing to make a big earner that sucks like Call of Duty, and there are plenty of great games that don't sell well and become 'cult classics'. Making a great game that sells like billy-o is what every developer wants; who wouldn't want to follow that?

If I remember rightly, BG1 came during a bad time for RPGs and revived the genre. Then they made an expansion, a sequel, an expansion to the sequel and then, years and years later, an... interquel? BG3 could very well be the BG1 of this century.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think it is more likely they will make an entirely new D&D game than a Baldur’s Gate IV, this coming from someone who was 100% convinced they were going to be working on IV immediately back when the level cap was going to be 7

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I'll believe it when I don't see it. I don't even blame them, frankly, if they do. They made what from all reports is a great game that made tons of dosh. It's one thing to make a big earner that sucks like Call of Duty, and there are plenty of great games that don't sell well and become 'cult classics'. Making a great game that sells like billy-o is what every developer wants; who wouldn't want to follow that?

If I remember rightly, BG1 came during a bad time for RPGs and revived the genre. Then they made an expansion, a sequel, an expansion to the sequel and then, years and years later, an... interquel? BG3 could very well be the BG1 of this century.

All of these arguments were true with DOS2 and they did not make a direct sequel.

They might but there’s no reason to expect it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Captain Oblivious posted:

All of these arguments were true with DOS2 and they did not make a direct sequel.

They might but there’s no reason to expect it

BG3 had ten times the peak concurrent playercount of DOS2.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

BG3 had ten times the peak concurrent playercount of DOS2.

Sure. So you’re saying then that they had a hit on their hands that people clearly liked and elected not to make dlc because they figured the next game they made in seven years would be worth $texas?

That strikes you as a plausible thought process for a dev?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
BG1 - Durlag's Tower.

I'm now in Basement 3, the puzzle one. I've been in the two side chambers, and unlocked the Islane connecting side passages, but not the opposite one. Do the Ward Stones have to be placed in a certain container, or are they largely useless to be carrying around? I also got one from a merchant selling off their stock and one from the tour guide. I don't know if those are useful any longer either.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Laffo, no wonder defensive spin doesn't work for me. Ring of Free Action just makes it not pop off at all. What a stupid design oversight.

Edit: I hate to say it but I think I'm cooling on SoD a bit. I just got my taste of the whole "big battle" poo poo and I don't like it. I spend 90% of the battle being body blocked by "allies". I should have guessed this was going to be an issue when it took a hundred extra hours getting anywhere in Baldur's Gate with every NPC under the sun somehow getting in my way when I was moving from point A to point B. Honestly, that's the only issue I had. That first big fight was super annoying and it didn't need to be. Doing stuff in the camp after got me back on board. That engine just isn't suited for this sort of thing.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 1, 2023

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

BG1 - Durlag's Tower.

I'm now in Basement 3, the puzzle one. I've been in the two side chambers, and unlocked the Islane connecting side passages, but not the opposite one. Do the Ward Stones have to be placed in a certain container, or are they largely useless to be carrying around? I also got one from a merchant selling off their stock and one from the tour guide. I don't know if those are useful any longer either.

Wardstones don’t need to be put in a container, just present in your inventory. That said I think the one you bought from the merchant was a scam and doesn’t do anything. Once you’re done with the tower you can just dump them all, they can’t be sold.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Jimbot posted:

Laffo, no wonder defensive spin doesn't work for me. Ring of Free Action just makes it not pop off at all. What a stupid design oversight.

That makes sense since Free Action also blocks haste.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It legit doesn't pop off. No bonuses to AC or anything like that but Offensive Spin does. You don't get the haste bonus but you get the damage and to hit bonus.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mzbundifund posted:

Wardstones don’t need to be put in a container, just present in your inventory. That said I think the one you bought from the merchant was a scam and doesn’t do anything. Once you’re done with the tower you can just dump them all, they can’t be sold.

I got two from the merchant, one was a forgery, the other was "real," but I don't know if it actually had a use. Does it have to be in the top-level inventory or can it be in a bag like the bag which holds gemstones and it's still spotted?

I will take from your response though, that I do not need to put the Wardstones into a container in the world, like the books on the floor or the globe, which is helpful by narrowing the limit of useful actions I can do.

UPDATE: I spammed rest a ton to cast Farsight everywhere, and that wasn't helpful in helping me progress. I found the two statues which open up either the wife or son's chamber, but Keil's chamber remains closed, and the statues can only be activated if their main door is closed. They don't do anything if their door is already open, so it's not a combination lock of some kind. Am I missing a small pixel somewhere I need to touch?

EDIT 2: I looked at a walkthrough. I needed to force-attack a training dummy, which makes that my second time ever using a force-attack.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 1, 2023

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Is there a fan project to port bg3 to the infinity engine yet

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Have any of you messed around with shadowdancer in BG2? I’m really conflicted between dual classing (which was my original intention) to fighter vs. staying pure class.

I basically don’t know how impactful the HLAs will feel, whereas being able to get more damage and better THAC0 via adding more specialization pips into things like two weapon fighting seem tangibly better. I am playing it like a one hit backstab assassin, sometimes able to even clear rooms solo like this by constantly backstabbing, hiding, rinse and repeat until all are dead.

With this playstyle better THAC0 and damage from fighter dual class seems good, but I feel like I’d be missing out since I’ve read the shadowdancer HLAs are fun and good.

Anyone have any ideas either way on this? I am at lvl 13 so now would be the time if I’m going to dual.

(Edit: waiting until lvl 14, if I am reading correctly, to use my shd abilities again seems like a pita too if HiPS will be locked away)

rio fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 1, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rio posted:

Have any of you messed around with shadowdancer in BG2? I’m really conflicted between dual classing (which was my original intention) to fighter vs. staying pure class.

I basically don’t know how impactful the HLAs will feel, whereas being able to get more damage and better THAC0 via adding more specialization pips into things like two weapon fighting seem tangibly better. I am playing it like a one hit backstab assassin, sometimes able to even clear rooms solo like this by constantly backstabbing, hiding, rinse and repeat until all are dead.

With this playstyle better THAC0 and damage from fighter dual class seems good, but I feel like I’d be missing out since I’ve read the shadowdancer HLAs are fun and good.

Anyone have any ideas either way on this? I am at lvl 13 so now would be the time if I’m going to dual.

(Edit: waiting until lvl 14, if I am reading correctly, to use my shd abilities again seems like a pita too if HiPS will be locked away)

I have done a Shadowdancer run before. The HLAs are pretty fun for sure and it'd be a shame to miss out on those imo. Also playing it as a one hit wonder kinda fits the Shadowdancer playstyle. Sure more APR would be nice, but do you really need it? The playstyle lends itself to backstab--->hide--->backstab again. I don't feel like more APR actually does that much more for the spec since you want all of your attacks to be backstabs anyways. You don't want to stay in the thick of things after backstabbing. You want to hit and get right out and then hit again.

Having a bit of extra thaco is nice but remember you already get 4 to thaco when backstabbing from stealth so the thief thaco actually isn't as bad as it seems.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shadowdancer always looks super fun and seems to mitigate my issue with hide in shadow. I've even seen the crusty Baldur's Gate 1/2 players say it's a fun kit, so it can't be all that bad!

Edit: I have an actual question: a friend of mine, the one I've played BG3 with and does play PnP D&D, wants to play BG2 when I get to it with the character I'm going through SoD with. Anyway, they didn't like BG1 so that's out of the question but would The Black Pitts be a good intro to 2e and getting the hang of RTwP combat? I've not tried that game mode out so I'm curious to know.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 1, 2023

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can only say that as someone with a LOT of experience with O.G. and EE BG1 & BG2 that the second Black Pits module had a steep combat learning curve for me. Which was great for someone who has played a ton of BG2, but not sure if it wout be a great way to introduce BG2 combat to someone.

But what do I know, I save scum.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thinking more about it, the main difference for me was that the game story mode combat relies on a lot of prebuffing before major encounters, while you don't really have an opportunity to prebuff in Black Pits.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sorry, I should have clarified: I meant the first Black Pit module. The low level one that came with BG1. I figured 2's might be a bit much but I don't know how the low level one would pan out.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ok yea BP1 was a lot more manageable but IIRC you still miss out on the prebuffing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
You guys ever see this dude on youtube?

I thought I was a Baldurs Gate pro, this guys knowledge is just incredbile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUg1JaQr7U