Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gamers Nexus did GPU benchmarks for the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDbrWmlqMw it's early days. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Omnicarus posted:

If you had to pick between Starfield or BG3, which?

As a die hard Bethesda fan and someone loving the hell out of Starfield...

BG3 without a doubt. Even though so far Im always happy once Im in Starfield, its reaaaaally hard for me to not boot up BG3 in the past 2 days.

Its just a special once in generation gaming experience.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
trying to catch up, but wanted to ask if there's the typical tes style level scaling for enemies and gear? really not a fan of it, and finding a really good unique too early always felt awful later on because it just got "outleveled" by plain weapons that were dropping from enemies always seemed stupid.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

"don't stock up on junk" why don't you shut the gently caress up and get off my ship sarah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last King posted:

trying to catch up, but wanted to ask if there's the typical tes style level scaling for enemies and gear? really not a fan of it, and finding a really good unique too early always felt awful later on because it just got "outleveled" by plain weapons that were dropping from enemies always seemed stupid.

ImpAtom posted:

Every area appears to have a base level and then elite/powerful/story enemies in that area will scale to your level.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Where's my loving space dress goddammit

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I wonder if crafting is broken in this like all Beth games. I may skip leveling combat and go right into crafting guns

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

queeb posted:

I wonder if crafting is broken in this like all Beth games. I may skip leveling combat and go right into crafting guns

So my honest feeling here is the opposite. The game absolutely throws pre-crafted guns at you like it is going out of style. I never felt the need to invest in crafting because odds were good any chest I opened would have a epic-level laser rifle with nine different pre-installed mods.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DogsInSpace! posted:

I’ve played worse but definitely wish they have manoeuvring thrusters.

Look in your controls for "Change flight mode" or something like that. I assume it's also your jump button by default on consoles. That'll give you up/down/left/right and let you turn your ship against your direction of movement.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Why do you take health damage sprinting around Jemison gah

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This game is giving me serious motion sickness. I tried to set up that ini file with the FOV set to 100, but that didn't work even after restarting the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

Stop sprinting before your CO2 fills completely.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

2023 is a blessed year in gaming. So many games that have motivated me to just binge on gaming and this is just the latest.

I found a mech salvage yard and then I found the very high level monsters guarding the mechs.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Wondering about this red bar here, the enemy had 4 of them, and once you empty their health they lose one and go back to full. So it looks like each bar is an "extra life". But would these be the "legendary" enemies which are supposed to be more frequent on hard, and they then generally drop better stuff? Also whats this random lvl 12 guy doing hanging out with all these lvl 4s.

And another thing, I've recruited a crew member with outpost engineering lvl 2, but I still can't research the stuff which requires that skill - so what exactly would be the point of that crew member having that skill, it doesn't seem like it does anything other than unlock research.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dexo posted:

lmao hosed up and made my character look exactly like one of the constellation people.

my character looks like they've got at least two hundred chromosomes. that creator was hard to use or maybe im just extremely stupid (or both)

Chubby Henparty posted:

go outside and sprint at full speed for one minute and maybe that will give you a hint

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What am I supposed to do with the Heart of Mars item? It's a 10lb rock that says it's worth 28000, and the person that gave the quest says it was some priceless pure titanium or some bullshit.

Most vendors are only offering ~3000 for the thing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

holy moly why did I pre-order this, its just Fallout 4 in Space

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

frajaq posted:

holy moly why did I pre-order this, its just Fallout 4 in Space

That's a bit unfair. Fallout 4 had a somewhat interesting world to experience

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Play posted:

go outside and sprint at full speed for one minute and maybe that will give you a hint

just got back from this, what was i supposed to learn?

Orv
May 4, 2011
It seems like maybe there's some kind of armor system going on contributing to the weird tankiness of people? I got a gun that ignores armor for sale in Akila City and it seems to just drop people immediately.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’m sad by the lack of dress up so far. I wanna wear funny clothes.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Is Ryujin the Thieves Guild equivalent? I've been enjoying their questline a ton

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
my biggest complaint so far is that the visual feedback for taking damage is really really bad. you get a slight chromatic effect right when you get down to the very bottom of your health bar but unless you just keep looking back and forth at your health and where you're aiming there's very little to tell you if you're being hit by stuff, which is bad in situations where you are trying to take cover

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

It's wild that seemingly none of the shops have merchandise to steal beyond random environmental clutter. It just looks weird when you walk into a store and all the display cases are empty

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
I declined to spend 30$ to beta test for Bethesda so I haven't played yet.

From reading press reviews and then reading comments from players it really seems like the press drank the coolaid here. What do ya'll think the steam reviews will be once it's "Released"?

I'm smelling something between Mixed to Mostly Positive. I don't get the vibe that the "It's better than Skyrim! OMG!" narrative is true. I'm expecting to have fun with a predictable Bethesda RPG that's not really breaking the mold at all.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

jaegerx posted:

I’m sad by the lack of dress up so far. I wanna wear funny clothes.

Yeah so far I found an evening gown that looks fine but where is the really interesting stuff? Give me a top hat and a monocle!

Phoix posted:

It's wild that seemingly none of the shops have merchandise to steal beyond random environmental clutter. It just looks weird when you walk into a store and all the display cases are empty

Yes this feels really bad. I also managed to sneak my way into the managers office of one of the companies on the main planet and there was absolutely nothing in there. Not even a memo with some flavor text.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Landing on Mars the first time, the game spawned me a kilometer in the sky exiting the landed spaceship. Ah there's the jank.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Popelmon posted:

Ohh neat I found a space station full of spacers that has no gravity. Firing your gun pushes you back so everyone is flying around like crazy while trying to shoot each other. This is fun!

This fight was fuckin fun as hell and I was smiling the whole time.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I hate that it seems random where the ladders go in the ship designer. I wanted to make a central ladder column and then habs branching off of it, but it decided to make the ladders on the far ends of the habs so its really inconvenient to get around. I even placed the modules one at a time to make sure they lined up, but the last one caused them all to shuffle :(

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ostrava posted:

From reading press reviews and then reading comments from players it really seems like the press drank the coolaid here. What do ya'll think the steam reviews will be once it's "Released"?

I'm smelling something between Mixed to Mostly Positive. I don't get the vibe that the "It's better than Skyrim! OMG!" narrative is true. I'm expecting to have fun with a predictable Bethesda RPG that's not really breaking the mold at all.

The press drank the hater koolaid yes

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I created an outpost on Earths moon just to try it out - I can’t find a way to remove the beacon now. Are those permanent?

Where are you guys building outposts?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I don’t understand why it’s just impossible for people to imagine that people enjoy a pretty good game.

Like it’s pretty good. It’s not the second coming but it’s totally in line with an 85-90, depending on your tastes. Fallout 4 was also a pretty good and solid experience (after they fixed the worst of the bugs) and this is like several fallout 4s put together with (I think) better flavor given the setting.

Maybe people have forgotten what actual bad video games are like but like Immortals of Aveum is right there. Check that bad boy out to recalibrate your gamedar, friends.

Yes BG3 is better and yes the next elder scrolls will also probably be better (by virtue of being less experimental, probably) but this is an enjoyable and well-made thing.

Anyway I found the space grandma and she gave me a free dinner. It was kind of sad in the end, she seemed a little lonely.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

VanillaGorilla posted:

I don’t understand why it’s just impossible for people to imagine that people enjoy a pretty good game.

Who's saying they don't understand?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

VanillaGorilla posted:

this is an enjoyable and well-made thing.

Enjoyable? Sure.

Well-made? It's Bethesda, the jank is part of the experience. :colbert:

If you haven't walked into a store and seen a random item clipping into the shopkeep yet, we aren't playing the same game.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So, is the exploration and atmosphere in this game pretty good? As good as Skyrim/Fallout/whatever other Beth game? Because I played about an hour last night and honestly was disappointed in it. The very opening was cool, I'm a sucker for an alien mystery even if it's a super common trope. But then like someone said, the narrative got incredibly awful with the "here take my ship person I just met" and then I was forced into dogfighting which I also hated. I may just have a dumb take here, but I also think the general menus and aesthetic there is the laziest looking poo poo I've seen in a while, it's so ugly.

I have a few minutes left before the 2 hour mark so I need to decide if I want to return it. If it gets passably decent with the alien story stuff and the typical Bethesda exploration I think I could still enjoy it enough, but that first hour made a bad impression.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ostrava posted:

Well, most of the reviews seem to mention that the first dozen of hours are pretty slow and it gets more fun after that. Everyone here is currently slogging through that opening stretch. Maybe it does get more fun. (Or the Stockholm Syndrome kicks in.)

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So, is the exploration and atmosphere in this game pretty good? As good as Skyrim/Fallout/whatever other Beth game? Because I played about an hour last night and honestly was disappointed in it. The very opening was cool, I'm a sucker for an alien mystery even if it's a super common trope. But then like someone said, the narrative got incredibly awful with the "here take my ship person I just met" and then I was forced into dogfighting which I also hated. I may just have a dumb take here, but I also thing the general menus and aesthetic is the laziest looking poo poo I've seen in a while, it's so ugly.

I have a few minutes left before the 2 hour mark so I need to decide if I want to return it. If it gets passably decent with the alien story stuff and the typical Bethesda exploration I think I could still enjoy it enough, but that first hour made a bad impression.

It sounds like you should probably refund it and grab it way later at a discount, tbh.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
This is a 7.5 game that I’m going to sink hundreds of hours into.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

kri kri posted:

The press drank the hater koolaid yes

You'll have to explain. The review scores are quiet good. Some outlets even went as far as saying Bethesda surpassed Skyrim.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Kaddish posted:

This is a 7.5 game that I’m going to sink hundreds of hours into.

Sweet. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So, is the exploration and atmosphere in this game pretty good? As good as Skyrim/Fallout/whatever other Beth game? Because I played about an hour last night and honestly was disappointed in it. The very opening was cool, I'm a sucker for an alien mystery even if it's a super common trope. But then like someone said, the narrative got incredibly awful with the "here take my ship person I just met" and then I was forced into dogfighting which I also hated. I may just have a dumb take here, but I also think the general menus and aesthetic there is the laziest looking poo poo I've seen in a while, it's so ugly.

Imagine playing Skyrim/FO4 but to get to every POI you have to go into a menu, wait, select an area, wait, select one of the POIs it shows, wait, watch the load screen, wait, land 1km away from the only POI/ and that's it for exploration unless you enjoy empty procgen planets

It doesn't have drm