Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

bobjr posted:

Toby ends the series fired and miserable
As for the series' most dysfunctional couple,
Ryan abandons his son (or some random baby he stole, who knows) at a party, and Kelly runs away with him, leaving her insanely handsome doctor husband behind as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"The abusive partner was right that his girlfriend had feelings for someone else and that her dreams would amount to nothing" - technically, the actual textual conclusion of hit comedy The Office

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Nah remember the bit where Roy is all "i don't think you should go to school Pam, you suck and will never make it" - no way do you gotta hand it to him.

Like you can write textbook domestic abuse and goons will justify it if it owns a smarmy sales guy

I think the point is that Roy was in fact awful, and changed for the better. That transformation doesn’t retroactively mean his abusive behaviour was good, actually.

Jim either didn’t grow, or got worse over time.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah, Seasons 1-3 Roy sucked and Pam was right to leave him. Then he realized that he sucked and did something about it. :shrug:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When Roy returns and seems to have cleaned up his act and become successful, isn't there a line or something he does that undercuts that illusion? Or am I remembering it wrong?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Not that I remember. We just learn that Roy got rich from starting a gravel company, got remarried, and learned how to play piano in secret so he could surprise his new wife with a song.

He does seem to have legitimately changed. But I do wonder Roy inviting Pam and Jim was just a weird flex to show his ex how successful he was without her.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They did say they wanted to make Roy a little more likable than his UK counterpart, since he didn’t have any positive qualities at all, but depending on the episode he’s borderline abusive and neglectful, and others it just seems like a dead relationship going on inertia.

naem
May 29, 2011

the Office UK was a limited series that was all about awkward situation humor and kept it very heightened because they didn’t need a decade of show

after the 4th season the US had to make an entirely different show with the same characters. an The Office extended universe if you will

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think there was at least one writer near the end of the show that hated Jim and Pam with a passion. The Roy wedding episode basically boiled down to "Jim and Pam are weird, petty people" and there's also an episode where Jim loses his mind over the idea of another salesman going on one date with Pam and never calling her back.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A Fancy Hat posted:

I think there was at least one writer near the end of the show that hated Jim and Pam with a passion. The Roy wedding episode basically boiled down to "Jim and Pam are weird, petty people" and there's also an episode where Jim loses his mind over the idea of another salesman going on one date with Pam and never calling her back.

There’s one episode where they’re looking for a daycare and the daycare teacher says “you’re not as charming as you two think you are” to their face

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Pam thought she was gonna be a professional artist when she was only moderately talented at water colours. Get a grip, lady. Keep it as a hobby.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

What did Roy do that was abusive? I haven't seen the earlier seasons in a while and he just sorta seemed like a thoughtless putz but not exactly abusive.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Remember when Angela had Dwight's baby and didn't tell him he was the father? And then she did and it was all good and they got married and ignored the glaring red flag trust issues?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

A Fancy Hat posted:

That was really weird.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Ralph Crammed In posted:

What did Roy do that was abusive? I haven't seen the earlier seasons in a while and he just sorta seemed like a thoughtless putz but not exactly abusive.

Roy wasn’t slapping Pam around or whatever, but he definitely showed a level of negligence and self-absorption that goes beyond just thoughtless. Examples:

- taking Pam, your *fiancee*, to a hockey game and straight up forgetting she was there and leaving

- Not going to Pam’s art show and just being dismissive of Pam’s artistic pursuits in general

- clearly has problems with alcohol and anger management. After finding out about Pam’s kiss, he flips out and destroys a bar even before attacking Jim

I know Pam and Jim suck but Roy was a walking pile of red flags

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Gatto Grigio posted:

Roy wasn’t slapping Pam around or whatever, but he definitely showed a level of negligence and self-absorption that goes beyond just thoughtless. Examples:

- taking Pam, your *fiancee*, to a hockey game and straight up forgetting she was there and leaving

- Not going to Pam’s art show and just being dismissive of Pam’s artistic pursuits in general

- clearly has problems with alcohol and anger management. After finding out about Pam’s kiss, he flips out and destroys a bar even before attacking Jim

I know Pam and Jim suck but Roy was a walking pile of red flags

Aside from the last one those are more assholey than abusive. Being an rear end in a top hat isn't being abusive in and of itself. My ex was an rear end in a top hat and abusive but they weren't always the same thing.

Nov 6, 2002

He's a selfish rear end in a top hat that is emotionally abusive.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dismissive and unsupportive of his girlfriend 🚩

Intimidating and physically violent to Jim 🚩

Small business owner 🚩🚩🚩

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zugzwang posted:

drat, the whole Jim/Roy feud was an op, wasn't it

https://twitter.com/johnkrasinski/status/1138961511945330688?s=20

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

bobjr posted:

There’s one episode where they’re looking for a daycare and the daycare teacher says “you’re not as charming as you two think you are” to their face

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

The thing about the salesman not liking Pam is so weird. What would have satisfied Jim in that situation? That the salesman actually did like her so Jim could lord it over him or what? Also Jim was with Karen during that time period, so why is it okay that Karen presumably had sex with him but like this other guy was just saying Pam? The more you think about it the more hosed up it is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

There was some gossip that someone on the Office cast got a big head and became a major diva on set. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Jenna Fischer or John Krasinski, especially after Steve Carell left.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Strategic Tea posted:

Intimidating and physically violent to Jim 🚩

this is a red flag?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Gatto Grigio posted:

Actually he was one of only three people to go! Michael, Oscar, and Roy.

Roy makes a bone-headed comment about how cool it is that he showed up before anyone else she invited though.

Nov 6, 2002

your art is the prettiest art of all the art

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

PinheadSlim posted:

Actually he was one of only three people to go! Michael, Oscar, and Roy.

Roy makes a bone-headed comment about how cool it is that he showed up before anyone else she invited though.

Ah, my mistake

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

pencilhands posted:

he was right though

she went to art school and dropped out and it was a waste of time

:hmmyes:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

You know we give a lot of poo poo to characters like Jim and Stanley but Meredith gets a pass abusing her son because she's fun

Oh god the episode where her son strips for her :ohdear:

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah, well she didn't name her child Cece.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Meredith always had solitaire up on her computer, which is exactly as seriously as a person should take a job like that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Zugzwang posted:

Meredith always had solitaire up on her computer, which is exactly as seriously as a person should take a job like that.

She was loving the suppliers for huge discounts and corporate let it slide because of the savings

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

bobjr posted:

She was loving the suppliers for huge steaks

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yeah, well she didn't name her child Cece.

peepee halpert

Nov 6, 2002

PinheadSlim posted:

You know we give a lot of poo poo to characters like Jim and Stanley but Meredith gets a pass abusing her son because she's fun

Oh god the episode where her son strips for her :ohdear:

That kid was use to abuse anyway.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That kid was use to abuse anyway.

lmao

Also I remember Merediths kid being a menace that no one could handle. Except when he was hanging out with Pam and Roy. They gave him healthy outlets for his energy and had a blast with him, and I remember at the time I thought it was going to spark a whole arc about Pam going back to Roy.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

bobjr posted:

She was loving the suppliers for huge discounts and corporate let it slide because of the savings

I love that corporate just ultimately rolled with it too, that's 100% accurate

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Roy should have got with Meredith

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
man that whole thing on the booze cruise

Jim treated Katy like poo poo just because... she wasn't Pam? She's some "dumb cheerleader" or w/e and gently caress her and Roy for having something to joke around and bond over?

Roy should've thrown jim into the water, no one would've flinched, and Dwight would've piloted the boat over the top of him

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Is Jim really the worst person on the show? Or does it just stand out more because of how the show framed him in contrast to everyone else for the majority of its run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Is Jim really the worst person on the show? Or does it just stand out more because of how the show framed him in contrast to everyone else for the majority of its run?

imo it's because, as the above example kinda points out, Jim and Pam act like they're better than everyone around them in a realistic way. With Dwight and Stanley and whoever they're obviously cartoon characters, their superiority complexes are a little less annoying because they're so obviously not superior to anyone, it's a joke. But not with Jim. We're meant to agree, yeah, Jim is too good for some dumb blonde cheerleader!

e; And remember the scene where she said one of her Island movies is Legally Blonde and Pam loving snorted at her like some goon? Legally Blonde kicks rear end. It's a borderline sapphic story about how you shouldn't judge women by societies sexist and dismissive attitude towards certain kind of women. Which is exactly what The Office is doing with Katy.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 1, 2023