Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I've been having internet speed issues on my desktop PC that seem to now be pointing to the modem being the issue.

I've tested the speeds through my router, tested it directly to the modem and even swapped out ethernet cables but all getting the same results.

I have a 300mbps cable internet plan but am only getting speeds of up to 70mbps. Everything is connected via CAT6 ethernet .

ISP sent out a technician who checked the coaxial and said "it's fine', showed me the screen on his testing device and it was all green (though this says nothing about speed). He also went into the basement to check if everything was connected properly and he said it looked fine.

He asked when I bought the current modem which I said 2017, so he said then it's probably time to buy a new one.

Router: TPLINK AC1760
Modem: TPLINK TC7650 DOCSIS 3.0

Router is a recent upgrade, but modem is from 2017. I bought it when I first moved to my current place (you can actually see my first post here where I listed that as an option. Now it's no longer listed apparently).

The list of compatible modems pulled from my ISP are:

CBN CD8000 (7.13.198.12)
CBN CH8568 (CH8568-7.13.198.53-NOSH)
Hitron CODA-45 (7.2.4.3.1b3)
Hitron CODA-4680 (7.1.1.2.2b9)
Sercomm DM1000 (1.12.03.011)
Technicolor CGA4234DGW (CGA4234-P15-13-CA902-c0200r181-191007)
Technicolor TC4400 (SR701343-190628-D)

Out of those options listed above, what should I buy?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Just replace your privacy fence with a fine copper mesh. Easy peasy.

Alternatively, repaint your house with lead paint.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Oysters Autobio posted:

I've been having internet speed issues on my desktop PC that seem to now be pointing to the modem being the issue.

I've tested the speeds through my router, tested it directly to the modem and even swapped out ethernet cables but all getting the same results.

I have a 300mbps cable internet plan but am only getting speeds of up to 70mbps. Everything is connected via CAT6 ethernet .

ISP sent out a technician who checked the coaxial and said "it's fine', showed me the screen on his testing device and it was all green (though this says nothing about speed). He also went into the basement to check if everything was connected properly and he said it looked fine.

He asked when I bought the current modem which I said 2017, so he said then it's probably time to buy a new one.

Router: TPLINK AC1760
Modem: TPLINK TC7650 DOCSIS 3.0

Router is a recent upgrade, but modem is from 2017. I bought it when I first moved to my current place (you can actually see my first post here where I listed that as an option. Now it's no longer listed apparently).

The list of compatible modems pulled from my ISP are:

CBN CD8000 (7.13.198.12)
CBN CH8568 (CH8568-7.13.198.53-NOSH)
Hitron CODA-45 (7.2.4.3.1b3)
Hitron CODA-4680 (7.1.1.2.2b9)
Sercomm DM1000 (1.12.03.011)
Technicolor CGA4234DGW (CGA4234-P15-13-CA902-c0200r181-191007)
Technicolor TC4400 (SR701343-190628-D)

Out of those options listed above, what should I buy?

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

phosdex posted:

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?

Yeah, sorry that's what I meant by "swapping out ethernet". No difference unfortunately.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, if you're on the 2.4ghz band especially that's reasonable, and as far as the upload goes cable providers like to do some dumb bullshit speed of 1000mbps down / 30-50mbps up so that's what I assumed was happening.

Best wifi I've personally tested was around 850mbps each way on a 2.5g symmetrical fiber connection on wifi 6 standard (5ghz band, the laptop has a 6ghz capable chip but apparently dell has it disabled in custom drivers or some poo poo) on a 80mhz channel but that took some real finagling and was mostly testing what I think is reasonable on a particular AP we're looking at for work. I kinda like its performance honestly but it ain't cheap :v:

I was at my brother's house, who has an amplifi router and he had 400 mbps/400 mbps and I was unpleasantly surprised when I went home and checked my speeds

Eletriarnation posted:

If you can get 80MHz channels and a strong signal, Wi-Fi 5 should be able to do substantially better. I have a Cisco 2802i which is Wi-Fi 5 (2x2 2.4G, 4x4 5G) about 10' from me on the ceiling and I get about 600Mbps with Speedtest using my Pixel 7 which I'm pretty sure is only 2x2. I used to run a UAP-AC-Pro and I don't think it was substantially worse in terms of throughput.

It's not like you really need to though if you're getting 100M+, since that's fine for most purposes. What you should do comes down to your particular use case and how perfectionist you're feeling.

Thanks, my provider does have that sort of speed asymmetry which is frankly annoying but I live in the sticks, so no real other option.

Cyks posted:

Those ac-pros have a secondary nic on it that you can use to verify if it is a cabling issue but if you are seeing between 100-200, I suspect not.

- thanks, after nearly falling off a ladder last night, looks like the APs do have a good signal.

ROJO posted:

Chiming in also that 100-200 doesn't seem ridiculous for non Wifi 6 or non 3x3 devices in real world conditions. I wouldn't overthink this too much. That is what I routinely see with my wired AC-Pros on symmetric gig fiber. And yeah, 35-40 up seems to be a common upload speed tied to gig download for cable providers.

:arghfist: my dreams of remote plex on my nas are unlikely given current circumstances.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

adnam posted:

I was at my brother's house, who has an amplifi router and he had 400 mbps/400 mbps and I was unpleasantly surprised when I went home and checked my speeds

Thanks, my provider does have that sort of speed asymmetry which is frankly annoying but I live in the sticks, so no real other option.

- thanks, after nearly falling off a ladder last night, looks like the APs do have a good signal.

:arghfist: my dreams of remote plex on my nas are unlikely given current circumstances.

When connected with a laptop, what does the status screen show for the data rate? I think windows lists it as line speed: this will tell us what modulation it’s currently communicating at.

Did you check in the controller to make sure it one of the APs didn’t change to mesh mode? It does happen sometimes with Unifi and I recommend disabling it in the settings if you don’t plan to use wireless meshing.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
100mbps is plenty to run remote Plex. My old place was 100/100 and I had 3-4 streams running remote at once several times. Usually 1 in 4K and 2-3 in HD. Often while downloading ISOs at the same time, but those capped to about 50% of bandwidth. Never ran into any times where my internet seemed to be affected.

That said, my new place is just getting up and running and it has 10g/10g. My best speed tests in the past few days are: 1700/1600 over wifi (pixel 6 pro about 2 feet from router) and 5500/4200 wired.

After buying a dream machine from Ubiquity in Japan I found they don't yet natively support either of Japan's 2 most common IPv6 ISP types (DS-lite/transix or MAP-E/v6Plus) so I've got an extra buffalo router in the middle now just to connect to the internet and send everything to the UDM.

Ubiquity Japan has said adding native support is on the roadmap so at least I'll be able to resell the new router at some point in the future.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Cyks posted:

When connected with a laptop, what does the status screen show for the data rate? I think windows lists it as line speed: this will tell us what modulation it’s currently communicating at.

Did you check in the controller to make sure it one of the APs didn’t change to mesh mode? It does happen sometimes with Unifi and I recommend disabling it in the settings if you don’t plan to use wireless meshing.

I don't remember the line speed, but the iperf data was > 500 mbps so I was satisfied.

However! I did check in the controller and they were all +mesh mode. Speeds are now comfortably in the 200s-300s mbps with good signal after tweaking the radio signals for the different APs, but I think I messed up my AP placement, and have some overlap in the house, and I have some devices (varied, after hearing about how client wifi can often be goofy), that tend to hang on to a further away AP instead of transferring to one nearby.

I've heard more cons than pros with minimum RSSI, is this still a technique that's recommended?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hi all, I'm looking for a router recommendation.

Here's my situation: just went from 80Mbps DSL to 1Gbps Xfinity. My current router is a TPLink Archer AX50 which has been fine but is now running as hot as a drat toaster due to the speed increase. All of my important stuff is on Ethernet so I don't care about those mega gaming wifi routers that have 17 ultradirectional antennas or whatever - I just want a gigabit router with 4+ LAN ports that doesn't feel like it might set my house on fire. The ability for stuff to connect to wifi is secondary, and wifi speed isn't really crucial.

I'd also kind of like to move away from TPLink as I'm unimpressed with their somewhat lovely firmware (I had to figure out a fix for qos dragging speeds way down as seen in this 21 page thread that was locked)

Thanks goons

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Did Comcast not give you a combo modem/router/AP with the upgrade?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

M_Gargantua posted:

Did Comcast not give you a combo modem/router/AP with the upgrade?
Yeah but it's dogshit, you can't change the subnet, or turn off DHCP or the hard coded Comcast DNS servers. Since my Pihole does that already I just DMZ'd the router from the Comcast thing.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Lol, does Unifi do it's meshing back haul security via WEP? That's, uh, a choice.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

FunOne posted:

Lol, does Unifi do it's meshing back haul security via WEP? That's, uh, a choice.

No. It uses modern AES.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

No. It uses modern AES.

Must be something in the wifi scanner then. It surprised me.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
(Cross-posting with a couple of threads because I figure someone might have an opinion…)

I am pricing out internet for a new office we are opening in downtown Chicago and I’m comparing against AT&T and Comcast.

Assuming they both offer the same speed tiers, same dedicated fiber circuit and pricing is close to the same, what else should I consider when choosing between the two? The only other things I *think* I care about is uptime/SLA and quality of customer service. What else am I missing?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Depending on what you're doing over the connection you may be interested in how and where each of those ISPs are connected to the parts of the internet that you care most about. If for example you have a a lot of systems you need to connect to hosted in datacenter X or cloud provider zone Y then one or the other ISP might be better connected to that and offer better performance and/or reliability to that specific route.

If you're just looking at it as a general purpose internet connection then I'd consider the both providers' business class fiber services to be more or less equal if the offering is apples to apples.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Chances are if you’re looking at dedicated lines you’ll be running both anyways so compare how the normal business lines compare to each other.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
My business class fiber connection through Comcast has been *awesome*. The Juniper acx2100-ac that is included with the service seems like a quality piece of gear. I am not sure what they use on the AT&T side. 10+ years ago when I had AT&T residential U-Verse service, the 2wire gear they used was crap, nothing but problems for me. I always liked that with Comcast residential service I had more flexibility with a variety of modems to chose from (even if they all had the same chipset under the hood...). Of course that criticism isn't really valid for business class connections since it's a whole different tier of equipment. For comcast business, I have a special number to contact for customer support, but I've never had to use it in the ~1 year since I've had the service. It's been rock solid, even staying up through widespread power outages in my area.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My router is an Asus RT-AC3100, and for a while has had an issue where the 5Ghz stops working - I'll notice my phone or laptop has jumped to the 2.4, and if I try to reconnect them to the 5GHz they fail to connect. Restarting the router fixes this.

That model's most recent firmware is from over a year ago, so I put AsusWRT-Merlin on it hoping that would help. Unfortunately the same problem is still happening. Any ideas on what's happening and if there's a fix?

Just bumping this up, any advice?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
If you've replaced the software (which I assume resets everything to stock settings) and it's still broken I'd guess it's RIP'd

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
What's the go-to recommended mesh system these days? My folks have a large 3 story house up in the boonies of northern CA, and have been subsisting off the included rural ISP DSL modem with built in wifi. My Dad is finally coming around to the fact that their wifi blows goats, and is looking to push it further into the house, out into the garage, and hopefully to his generator out by the street (probably ~30 ft from the closest point of the garage).

My Dad is a super handy ex-contractor, but due to the setup of the house and it's foam insulation, is very reticent to actually pull wires, otherwise I would just set him up with a handful of Unifi APs and call it good. So looking for a fairly stand-alone mesh system that doesn't take any significant janitoring and is readily expandable as necessary to cover a fairly distributed 3500 sqft house plus other assorted space. Throughput is not a concern at all, they have something like 5-10 Mbps DSL, so wifi 6 is absolutely overkill and unecessary.

The second half is figuring out if I can even put the crap DSL modem in some kind of bridge mode.....although maybe something like an orbi setup can just be put into a pure AP mode and let the ISP hardware deal with NAT/DHCP? I seem to remember I did that when I donated my ancient 1st gen eero system to my mother-in-law when I went unifi.

Thanks!

ROJO fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 4, 2023

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Google WiFi is pretty set and forget and you can get 3 packs regularly for $120-150. This is the older generation before they changed the branding to Nest Wifi. I deployed this at my parents house when I got sick of their bizarre multiple router ecosystem thing they had going on thanks to Best Buy.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

My internet requires VLAN Tagging which I'm currently doing by directly hooking my line through my Unifi Dream Machine.

If I were to connect the line to a switch _then_ the UDM, is it "smart" enough to still route everything through the UDM for VLAN Tagging despite the additional layer of indirection? I'm a huge switch newbie and they're honestly magic to me.

My XY problem is my Dream Machine doesn't have enough ports to route the entire house and I don't have much space in my ethernet cage.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If you put the switch before the UDM then you're just splitting the WAN, which will not be useful for anything? Unless i'm misunderstanding your question.

I think the answer to your question as asked is that a VLAN aware switch will be able to be configured as you need.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

M_Gargantua posted:

If you put the switch before the UDM then you're just splitting the WAN, which will not be useful for anything? Unless i'm misunderstanding your question.

I think the answer to your question as asked is that a VLAN aware switch will be able to be configured as you need.

D'oh, you're totally right. I'll look around for one of those, thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The UDM handles VLAN tagging on the WAN side, which is the place you need it, so an unmanaged switch on the LAN side should be fine there.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

astral posted:

The UDM handles VLAN tagging on the WAN side, which is the place you need it, so an unmanaged switch on the LAN side should be fine there.

Does it? Every result I can find on Reddit says it doesn’t, but they are all from 2020/2021 and we all know how much Unifi changes stuff.

Here’s a topology that somebody shared earlier this year and it’s a pretty good around if not:

https://imgur.io/a/yifLHfz

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Cyks posted:

Does it? Every result I can find on Reddit says it doesn’t, but they are all from 2020/2021 and we all know how much Unifi changes stuff.

Here’s a topology that somebody shared earlier this year and it’s a pretty good around if not:

https://imgur.io/a/yifLHfz

Yeah that setup seems to be for the weird situation where you want to put a switch "before" the WAN port. I do that with my fallback network, its routed down from my attic through VLANs.

I don't have any experience with VLAN tagging being required on the ISP side, that one is new to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think if you just put an unmanaged switch after the UDM since they don't know a single thing about the vlan tagging it's going to be carried through

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cyks posted:

Does it?

If their current setup with a UDM is already working for them, VLAN tagging on the WAN side either has to be working or wasn't necessary to begin with. Adding an unmanaged switch on the LAN side wouldn't change that.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
My ISP needs a VLAN tag and it works fine on the WAN port of my UDM pro.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Under the WAN's settings there is an option for VLAN where you can set the VLAN ID and QoS Tag.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Just because the UDM allows you to set a vlan ID on the WAN interface doesn’t mean you can tag multiple VLANs on it, unless they changed that sometime this year. Which sounds like what the OP was asking, since they mentioned putting the switch before the UDM and using it for both the WAN connection and additional LAN ports. (Though the above linked diagram would get around that).

If moving the switch to the other side works fine then it’s an irrelevant question but that’s going to require both the UDM and the switch located inside the media enclosure, though it was mentioned space is a concern.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
You're correct that it doesn't yet support multiple VLANs on one WAN.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm curious now if there is a router where you can have WAN IPS/DPI firewall rules on a VLAN and use the WAN port as a LAN/2nd WAN port with its own set of rules on a different VLAN. That seems like a weird niche use case.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm curious now if there is a router where you can have WAN IPS/DPI firewall rules on a VLAN and use the WAN port as a LAN/2nd WAN port with its own set of rules on a different VLAN. That seems like a weird niche use case.

This is called "router on a stick" and it's not all that unusual. In fact many small routers have this topology internally with a switch chip to provide the usual ~5 Ethernet ports and an internal link to the CPU for traffic that needs to be routed rather than switched.

You'll need one that's more prosumer/enterprise or at least OpenWRT compatible to be able to configure it yourself as consumer management interfaces often don't expose the functionality. Mikrotik and the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter line do, to name a couple, as well as pfSense/opnSense/VyOS/etc on x86.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 5, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moved into a new apartment under the impression that FIOS was an option for internet only to find out that 1. the ONT is already connected to another router 2. that router belongs to the floor above me 3. that floor doesn’t even use it and moved to Xfinity before I came around 4. I cannot add any more routers to the ONT and 5. the ONT and router are in the loving basement and the fiber line doesn’t extend to either of the units so what is even the point of having FIOS in the building let alone claiming it as an option :suicide:

If I get stonewalled on getting internet set up because an electrician will have to get involved I’m gonna be sooo pissed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there any WLAN meshing solutions that involve some LoRa kind of stuff between two repeaters, to allow bridging of three concrete floors? I need to get some very basic WLAN in the cellar, to connect some IoT stuff to the apartment, but avoid powerline solutions, because they mess with VDSL2 lines.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there any WLAN meshing solutions that involve some LoRa kind of stuff between two repeaters, to allow bridging of three concrete floors? I need to get some very basic WLAN in the cellar, to connect some IoT stuff to the apartment, but avoid powerline solutions, because they mess with VDSL2 lines.

Are there any unused copper pairs between your apartment and the basement? If so, you might be able to set up your own VDSL2 link and get a wired port into the basement without messing around with mesh. If there are two available pairs you can probably get 10 or 100 Mbps Ethernet working directly without adapters.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L3DHMS3/

Similarly if there is coax then MOCA 2.5 adapters are a very good option.

https://www.amazon.com/goCoax-Adapter-Ethernet-Bandwidth-existing/dp/B09RB1QYR9

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SamDabbers posted:

This is called "router on a stick" and it's not all that unusual. In fact many small routers have this topology internally with a switch chip to provide the usual ~5 Ethernet ports and an internal link to the CPU for traffic that needs to be routed rather than switched.

You'll need one that's more prosumer/enterprise or at least OpenWRT compatible to be able to configure it yourself as consumer management interfaces often don't expose the functionality. Mikrotik and the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter line do, to name a couple, as well as pfSense/opnSense/VyOS/etc on x86.

Normally I see that passed back through a LAN port, rather than the WAN port though.

Like that: