Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Friendship! https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

That comment under the comic.
Subtle, if this thread's theories about what's possessing Max are correct.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Last Visible Dog posted:

That comment under the comic.
Subtle, if this thread's theories about what's possessing Max are correct.

Especially given what Max's dwelling on about in this update and seemingly letting go of / "breaking".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You know... given that we're potentially seeing a stray sphinxcat soon, I'm thinking back to one unresolved long-running mystery -- especially now that Scrapdragon has clearly established that it can move Max around in the physical world even while he's in spirit trance.

Who saved Max?

Look carefully at the shadow in Panel 7...

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh god. I just realised.

The entirely-blue Scrapdragon shows curiosity. When he bonks it, the red side comes out. The page before the latest page describes Scrapdragon splitting into two. He's... literally bipolar? And his true form is possibly two-headed or has a head at either end?

Anyway I'm guessing Contracts is going to forge a covenant between the two, in the interests of not having its host devoured.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The entirely-blue Scrapdragon shows curiosity. When he bonks it, the red side comes out. The page before the latest page describes Scrapdragon splitting into two. He's... literally bipolar? And his true form is possibly two-headed or has a head at either end?

Probably related:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SKULL.GIF posted:

Probably related:

You know despite this being the popular depiction of a magnet in media, I don't think I have ever actually held or even beheld a magnet that is colour coded like this in real life.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:siren: Major reveal time! https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-35

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Such a shame Ms. Baxter is a member of the death cult.

Also interesting line about old oaths near the end.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

If the sphinx gave him 9 lives, Max's hobby as a young daredevil suddenly makes a lot of sense. He's probably down to a couple by the point.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Alard posted:

Such a shame Ms. Baxter is a member of the death cult.

"Just a tip: Ms. Baxter looks normal, but she's kinda secret-nuts. Watch out."

"Ninety percent of the job is pointless meetings, it drives me --" "Ha, did they REALLY say 'formal attire'??..."

Haunted necklace.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

"Contains one 1 [one] pixie {purple aura}" :thunk:

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Another related connection I never noticed (just came across it online a couple weeks back):
The fortune teller lady has an association with mice. Her teeth, her necklace, her shelf with a little plush mouse in it, and the mask she wears in the death cultists.
And how does this relate to Ms. Baxter? The message Isabel finds on her compter, posted by someone with a mouse avatar who uses emoticons with little mouse ears.

The post I found made the connection that the two of them knew each other through the death cultists, and went on the theorize that Ms Baxter was the one who laughed at hearing Forge was destroyed by Mr. Spender. But that bit's still just speculation.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I kinda wonder if the Contract Cat was Max’s mother’s spirit, and part of some contract was to watch over/possess Max. Maybe some other contract from that past connection which explains her distaste for promises.

Considering it was around 15-30 years ago at the least when the Sphinx was split, so the timing works out.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Max couldn't have been possessed before coming to Mayview or the barrier would've crushed him in a horrifying fashion inside his family's minivan on entry.

So the Sphinx of Promises, or whatever her name may be, is probably a relatively recent addition to the kid.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

Max couldn't have been possessed before coming to Mayview or the barrier would've crushed him in a horrifying fashion inside his family's minivan on entry.

So the Sphinx of Promises, or whatever her name may be, is probably a relatively recent addition to the kid.

I think there might be some leeway with this.

Because Forge was able to get into Mayview by possessing Johnny who then crossed the barrier immediately afterwards.

So it seems being possessed isn't enough to get blocked by the barrier if you aren't currently a spectral.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 21, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That said, Johnny started seeing shades just a day after his possession began, and Max started seeing them similarly soon after moving in.
I think it's pretty plausible that, if she really is bound by a vow to protect him, she possessed Max in order to cross the barrier with him in the first place.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

That said, Johnny started seeing shades just a day after his possession began, and Max started seeing them similarly soon after moving in.

Max saw his first shade (PJ) the same night he moves into the corner store -- presumably they'd entered Mayview earlier that day. Johnny sees his first at the end of gym class, about 12-15 hours after being possessed the prior night.

"Within 24 hours" seems like a reasonable upper bound for the spectral-ification to take place.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It might be possible for a possessing spirit to hold back and keep from activating their host as a spectral, at the cost of being nothing more than a passenger.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Not only was he seeing and hearing shades by the first night, he was getting spectral energy on his fingertip: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-1-page-10

Yeah, I'm gonna guess he was possessed before moving. I guess it's possible the sphinx was looking after him as a fully formed spirit, then offed itself to possess Max when it saw they were about to move?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-2-page-20
I guess this was the first "life" spent.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
New page. Has Ed used they pronouns this whole time?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

No, it’s been a while, but in the hitball aftermath Ed talked with Johnny’s gang about RJ’s gender revelations and thus learning that being nonbinary was even a thing.

This whole page definitely feels like it’s building up to an epiphany.

Quick Edit: On Twitter, Zack said that a few he/him pronouns were mistakes

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 2, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Given this comic's themes thus far it's gonna turn out Master Guerra actually does have a fantastically good reason for keeping Flipflop and his brothers under lock and key; he just really sucks at explaining it and we'll only find out why/how *after* Isabel frees the three of them.

Pants Donkey posted:

No, it’s been a while, but in the hitball aftermath Ed talked with Johnny’s gang about RJ’s gender revelations and thus learning that being nonbinary was even a thing.

Ed actually explicitly references that moment in today's page.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In which we swerve into horror film territory: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-37

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Poor crush :( That's probably the last we'll see of him.

Or, the gorilla person won't be able to see him, which would be funnier, at least.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

neogeo0823 posted:

Or, the gorilla person won't be able to see him, which would be funnier, at least.

That the death cultists are here at all mean they're aware Master Guerra exists and likely what he's doing, so I expect them to have some sort of way of dealing with spirits/ghosts.

The fortune teller from Chapter 6 had rodent motifs and ended up wearing a rodent skull mask, so I wonder whether Mr. Brawny here with the gorilla mask isn't in fact the Bigfoot announcer from that same chapter. I do think it's definitely the big guy from the end of Chapter 4, who also appears in the reveal in Chapter 6 with that spirit/demon perched on his shoulder still.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

My takeaway from this page is that Crush is lying to Ed, and is in the death cult himself. Was that not everyone's takeaway?

...is the gorilla cultist the guy from the radio station? That's sad news.

Also hi I finally caught up after abandoning Paranatural during the prose transition. I followed a link to the recap at the end of Chapter 7, kept reading from there, and it was a much better experience than I remember it being. Still not sure if I'm going to go back and read what I missed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The first page of this chapter has a quote that I think is suggesting that the death cultists are possibly under Davy's control or at least allied with him: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-1

""... before threats like his old friend Master Guerra. [...] With the town sealed off, it was time for him and his to make their move."

Ditocoaf posted:

My takeaway from this page is that Crush is lying to Ed, and is in the death cult himself. Was that not everyone's takeaway?

I read it as him putting on an act to get Ed out of harm's way as quickly as possible, knowing that he's likely up against a deadly threat.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

...is the gorilla cultist the guy from the radio station? That's sad news.

Also hi I finally caught up after abandoning Paranatural during the prose transition. I followed a link to the recap at the end of Chapter 7, kept reading from there, and it was a much better experience than I remember it being. Still not sure if I'm going to go back and read what I missed.

If Crush was a cultist he probably wouldn't have drawn Ed's attention to the gorilla in the first place. I think it's just another case of the adults going, I'm not gonna involve anyone else I'll handle this all on my own, etc. Instead of doing the sensible thing which in this case would be to tell Ed to get Guerra.

So this is probably not going to lead to a good outcome. Unless the cultist is just here to parlay or something. If it is the radio guy, they are probably pretty good at getting what they want through talk anyways.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 9, 2023

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
time for a twenty page detour down the merry garden path of Crush's deep inner life and conflicted motivations

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ditocoaf posted:

The first half of the camping adventure in Chapter 7 is still rough to get through even on a reread, but I thought the King Catnine encounter, recruiting Isaac, and the dream conversation were all readable.

Chapter 8 has knocked it out of the park, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SKULL.GIF posted:

That the death cultists are here at all mean they're aware Master Guerra exists and likely what he's doing, so I expect them to have some sort of way of dealing with spirits/ghosts.

Honestly, if you knew to do it, it seems like sending a bunch of masked non-spectrals into the Guerra house would be a really great way to steal a whole bunch of useful tools, because Spectral Fist is useless against ordinary guys, the ghosts don't like using the tools, and I'm not completely certain there are any living adults in the house at night, or ever.

Just walk in, beat up some twelve-year-olds,* and walk out with an entire armory.

* this is the part where your brilliant plan goes awry

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

new page

Well okay, I was wrong about Crush's heel turn. That probably also means I don't need to worry about this Ape guy being Professor Bigfoot. Right?

Look, you introduce a masked cult to your story, I'm gonna start trying to guess which known characters are secretly a part of it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Crush, I love you right now you magnificent dead guy. But please stop playing with your food and subdue this guy post-haste. A tool could easily make up for a lack of personal skill as a fighter and you really do need to take this guy to master Guerra.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

... I wonder if Zack's swerving us again? We're thinking Professor Bigfoot because of the size, the mask, and the speech patterns.

But "Ape" is making me think "Oop".

Maybe Bigfoot is in the Oop family, that'd be pretty appropriate for Mayview really.

e: typo

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 15, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
It's Ollie's dad's sister

Otherwise known as Auntie Oop

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
He also says backwards words like "herefrom." Does anybody else do that?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

... I wonder if Zack's swerving us again? We're thinking Professor Bigfoot because of the size, the mask, and the speech patterns.

But "Ape" is making me think "Oop".

Maybe Bigfoot is in the Oop family, that'd be pretty appropriate for Mayview really.

e: typo

I like this theory.

I wonder who the Mothman person is related to. Has to be from an enemy faction so they can do LARP a romeo and juliet soliloquy halfway through end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

In the Mothman/Bigfoot/Stephen chapter, we saw that DJ Mothman is the ex-husband from the Price-Lee family, chasing his dreams while his ex hatches evil schemes to accumulate wealth that didn't come from his "vast snake-oil vitamin supplement fortune", and his daughter has a run-in with vampires.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-33

...I hadn't remembered that all until I reread the chapter recently. That chapter follows the Price-Lee family as much as it does Stephen.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 15, 2023