Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Signal posted:

I fully agree with your insight here. I don't think I've ever run an antagonist whose thing is elusiveness and cunning. It makes confronting him difficult in a way that isn't normal for RPG villains. I'm hoping the players come up with an interesting plan to expose him that'll be easy to say yes to. They have plenty of other problems though, given the game's conceit, but I'll try and find a way to emphasize the stakes and the style of conflict this is.

The thing about an invisible foe like a spymaster is that you can't just roll up to his lair and beat his rear end. He might be vain, but not stupid. This makes him a recurring foe that can eventually be bested, but only after thwarting enough of his plots. There is of course the option for your players to go on the offense. Some players are not naturally good at planning, so you might need an in-fiction solution.

Being the anonymous mastermind of an international spy ring comes with an obvious downside: if one of your subordinates kills and replaces you, it's very possible for no one else to ever learn about it. One agent–a little too low on the totem pole to be an obvious threat–has an extremely detailed plan to do just that. The plan is guaranteed to bait the spymaster out and leave him vulnerable, allowing an enterprising person to usurp control. But it requires money and manpower and magic this agent could never reasonably acquire. Someone else would need to execute it. Maybe a particular group of someones, with extremely vast resources, deep pockets, and a score to settle with this particular spymaster.

You also mentioned the spymaster is allied with another kingdom. That means he is dependent on a benefactor for financial and logistical aid. If the party keeps wrecking all these plans, eventually the BBEG will decide the guy's more trouble than he's worth. A secret intelligence service fears nothing more than cuts in defense funding, and in desperation, he might go all-in on an ill-formed plan that's closer to bank robbery than actual espionage.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Maybe one thing you could add to this spymaster as a Flaw is that he's very vain, and likes to have a signature 'calling card' to his machinations. So, as the party is doing things and always just missing him, or uncovering mysteries/dealing with killers/groups hired by him to do his bidding, etc. They'll find his thing. Maybe he's developed a network into a secret society of sorts that has like, an old coin as their mark to each other. Or perhaps he has a stylized symbol like a raven or vulture or whatever that he likes to sign all his letters to his lackeys with. Perhaps it's a tattoo that he has them all have, or just a signature MO to his schemes that can easily be recognized as a pattern(start subtle and make it glaringly obvious later on if they don't pick it up).

Knowing that they're up against a consistent foe that's always hanging in the shadows and working against them through hints like that is very fun, I think. Especially if they can capture a high-level member of this guy's secret society/agent/gang/whatever you flavour it as and use that as a way to give the players some information on his future plans so they can start trying to get ahead of him

In combination with there being some kind of flourish that makes the spymaster's covert actions recognizable once uncovered, there's always the old fallback of having the PCs work their way up the chain of command. The mooks who come for the party at night work might work as a disconnected cell, but they're carrying a map that shows the location of the dead drop they get their orders from. The agent who runs the cells carries a note with the name of a café where they meet their handler. Their handler is a lieutenant who works out of a field office concealed as a business and identified by a business card they carry. The field office contains detailed plans, including an upcoming op that can be interrupted and materials for disguises; maybe this is the first encounter where the evidence directly implicates the fantasy CIA. Etc., on up the chain until they either find the spymaster or piss them off enough to draw them out.

If they start to make connections and talk to NPCs about them, maybe they get the Fox Mulder treatment ("yeah you're good at your job, but you need to let go of the crazy poo poo if you want to be taken seriously" or "and what if you're right, you think some mysterious agency wouldn't just kill you rather than have you go around blathering about their business").

1secondpersecond fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 11, 2023

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Can someone describe for me what it's like to play Scum & Villainy or any of the Blades in the Dark games? I'm reading the S&V manual and planning to run a few sessions for my players, but some of the examples of gameplay have me worried. Despite seeming like a story-telling oriented game, the examples are very dry and mechanical, and the system is actually much more complex than I originally anticipated.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RT session 4 went well again. I've started running warp travel between sessions, so there's always something interesting ready to go whether they drop into a new system or crash into something in the warp. The party misjumped and ended up at Comenina instead of Damaris, which would have been just a footnote if I hadn't had time to prepare. Instead it turned into an encounter with Spooky warp phenomena and demons on a derelict ship in orbit, followed by exploring ruins in the jungle. The players were expecting more moral hazards and warp threats on the planet and so arrived completely wrong-footed for a jungle expedition.

The system in general is very, very deadly. My players have started wearing sealed carapace armor everywhere they go and even then the missionary nearly got his head ripped off by a tiger last session. There are so many cogito-hazards in the expanse they stopped taking bodyguards with them but that wasn't smart wandering through the jungle alone. I can see why D&D lets you get stabbed in the face multiple times without consequences.

As a GM deadly combat keeps the players on their toes but can result in extremely swingy fights. The players keep shooting psykers off the board turn 1 which is canny but means I can never manifest any cool powers. At least the arch militant was very pleased with himself nailing the witch in the head from 40 meters away on the first shot of combat. But then when the players get in trouble they're immediately in serious trouble. I need to use cover and darkness better to both protect the explorers and important antagonists.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Verisimilidude posted:

Can someone describe for me what it's like to play Scum & Villainy or any of the Blades in the Dark games? I'm reading the S&V manual and planning to run a few sessions for my players, but some of the examples of gameplay have me worried. Despite seeming like a story-telling oriented game, the examples are very dry and mechanical, and the system is actually much more complex than I originally anticipated.

Stras ran some S&V games that you can find on YouTube. They're not perfect but they'll give you a better picture of how the game flows, I think.

A lot of how to play, in my experience as a GM, is asking players what lead or opportunity they want to follow up on, and improvise my little heart out. If nothing grabs them, I've got a list of 3-5 plot hooks ready that I can throw at them, and one is always, "Move this cargo or start paying exorbitant docking fees." (Needless to say, I have a complication already built into each of these hooks, relating back to one of their contacts or organizational rivals -- or the heat level).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

Still waiting for a chance to run or play Blades in the Dark myself, so take this with a grain of salt, but I found this channel helpful getting to grips with it:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8DF056nV-PUFQbq2TlAzT4BP7pjRhwml

Most of the players in the group have no prior experience with anything but D&D, including the GM, so the setting and mechanics explanations are pretty good and frequent at the start.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Verisimilidude posted:

I found it needs more buy-in from the players in terms of actually determining things in the world themselves rather than the DM having the answers to every question, but once the table gets up to speed with that it's a lot smoother to DM than D&D. There is a lot of making poo poo up on the fly and yes-and'ing though, which is great when the whole table is throwing ideas around, but may not suit DMs who like doing hours of prep to make sure they've got every eventuality covered.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've been running some BITD for goons and can speak - I'm an experienced gm and have run a couple of dozen systems.

overall, it's really fun for both gm and players, but a bit scary going into it and with a deceptively significant amount of bookkeeping. you do character creation and you're immediately ready to run the first session.

maybe the most challenging thing as a gm is how little prep it expects you to do - you want to maybe have a vague idea of some things you could put in as obstacles, but you're actively discouraged from preparing 'an adventure'. but you know what? you can do it. Just take it one step at a time and be guided by the players rolls. the system and the players will cover off the gaps.

you will almost inevitably come out of a session with everyone having had a wonderful time and a sheaf of plot hooks for the next game. it's an extremely clever game.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Improvisation is the most important technique a game master can have period. I have not played BITD but I am a huge PBTA fan and the best thing you can have with that system is good player buy-in and an understanding of what their role in the game is. A lot of players will expect you to have a story that you're telling and allowing them to be a character in it - in PBTA style games, make sure they know they are playing a part in making the story, and how the concepts of "moves" works.

As a GM, it's your responsibility to recognize the moves and act on them accordingly, so make sure you have a good working reference for what moves each character has available and recognize when they're being used.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I'm looking for some offbeat ideas for monsters/creatures/enemies.
My players are getting themselves involved in a conflict between two research labs that are trying to tap into massive sources of energy to reopen an interstellar wormhole. Each lab is working a different angle, with some limited success - the first is trying to tap into an artificial black hole they have created, and I'm thinking they'll be the more successful group with paid security guards wielding directed energy and gravity manipulation devices. But I kind of want the second group to have hosed up a little - they are trying to extract energy from a fourth spatial dimension that's normally rolled too tightly to access. Let's say they injected a little energy to inflate this fourth dimension, and weird higher-dimensional creatures spilled out.

So an example is a predatory animal that exists as a set of three dimensional bodies, hollow in the fourth dimension and nested fourth-dimensionally inside each other. In a fight, killing it results in the body slumping over dead and the larger or smaller body nested inside or outside that one taking over. I imagine the 3-d projections of 4-d creatures might also be able to move anywhere within line of sight instantaneously by taking a shorter route through 4-d space, they might be able to fold their 3-d projections into impossibly small spaces by moving some of their mass along the 4th axis, and they might be able to lash out with limbs/tentacles that go way further than you'd expect because they can spool length out of a higher dimensional space.

But what am I not thinking of that could give some cosmic horror/ineffable weirdness vibes? These players love to investigate corpses and detritus to learn about the setting, so they are likely to examine their kills closely enough to figure some of this out, and as a result I'd like the weirdness to be rooted in some kind of mechanism even if a speculative one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Youremother posted:

Improvisation is the most important technique a game master can have period. I have not played BITD but I am a huge PBTA fan and the best thing you can have with that system is good player buy-in and an understanding of what their role in the game is. A lot of players will expect you to have a story that you're telling and allowing them to be a character in it - in PBTA style games, make sure they know they are playing a part in making the story, and how the concepts of "moves" works.

As a GM, it's your responsibility to recognize the moves and act on them accordingly, so make sure you have a good working reference for what moves each character has available and recognize when they're being used.

As a caveat to that, if improv scares you, remember it's not about being brilliant. It's about being boring and obvious a lot of the time, while being open to those sneaky ideas that come at you while you're doing that. Then each of those boring obvious details have consequences, and you work through those as they come up.

Like, players open the door, what do they see? It's a living room, table, chairs. On the table is a meal, cooling. There's a well thumbed notebook and a pen. A fireplace that hasn't been used in a long time with a rug in front of it. Heavy curtains over the windows.

Nothing in that is exciting, but it's full of things to investigate, and you can take your players lead on what gets expanded.

Meal is warm, it got left recently? Yes! What's in the notebook? What's under the rug? Is the fireplace a secret door? What's behind the window? For each you think of a logical, answer, and when an idea comes at you you grab it.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Improv is a skill that can be practiced just like any other art form. Don't let it intimidate you! Let your players do their share of the work, run with their assumptions and let them come to correct "conclusions" that you choose are correct on the fly. I'm not advocating for pulling quantum ogres all the time, but the best thing PBTA taught me was that a tabletop game is the GM and the players, not the GM against the players.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Youremother posted:

Improv is a skill that can be practiced just like any other art form. Don't let it intimidate you! Let your players do their share of the work, run with their assumptions and let them come to correct "conclusions" that you choose are correct on the fly. I'm not advocating for pulling quantum ogres all the time, but the best thing PBTA taught me was that a tabletop game is the GM and the players, not the GM against the players.

Although it certainly feels like players against the gm at times.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The GM is a player. Everyone is on the same side and that side should be the side of having fun. If someone isn't having fun then everyone at the table should work together to fix that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

1secondpersecond posted:

My players are getting themselves involved in a conflict between two research labs that are trying to tap into massive sources of energy to reopen an interstellar wormhole. Each lab is working a different angle, with some limited success - the first is trying to tap into an artificial black hole they have created, and I'm thinking they'll be the more successful group with paid security guards wielding directed energy and gravity manipulation devices. But I kind of want the second group to have hosed up a little - they are trying to extract energy from a fourth spatial dimension that's normally rolled too tightly to access. Let's say they injected a little energy to inflate this fourth dimension, and weird higher-dimensional creatures spilled out.

So an example is a predatory animal that exists as a set of three dimensional bodies, hollow in the fourth dimension and nested fourth-dimensionally inside each other. In a fight, killing it results in the body slumping over dead and the larger or smaller body nested inside or outside that one taking over. I imagine the 3-d projections of 4-d creatures might also be able to move anywhere within line of sight instantaneously by taking a shorter route through 4-d space, they might be able to fold their 3-d projections into impossibly small spaces by moving some of their mass along the 4th axis, and they might be able to lash out with limbs/tentacles that go way further than you'd expect because they can spool length out of a higher dimensional space.

But what am I not thinking of that could give some cosmic horror/ineffable weirdness vibes? These players love to investigate corpses and detritus to learn about the setting, so they are likely to examine their kills closely enough to figure some of this out, and as a result I'd like the weirdness to be rooted in some kind of mechanism even if a speculative one.

The obvious thing to me that you are missing is the creatures behaving in strange ways time-wise. Like for example you kill it several minutes ago, which results in its projection dying inexplicably several minutes into the past/future. Or for another example, it sees you in the future and reacts in the past accordingly. In my experience players love it when monsters behave according to logic that is at first strange but the players can figure out within twenty minutes or so.

Also don't be afraid of doing things and never explaining. The sina qua non of cosmic horror is never explaining anything. Make weird things happen, refuse to explain them. Players will feel like they've accomplished something just by escaping intact.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 19, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

1secondpersecond posted:

Have a Q like creature idly following the players progress once they reach the second lab group. Mostly or physically entirely existing in the 4th dimension, it's basically only interacting with their 3d space in a causal way, sometimes in helpful ways, other times neutral and a sprinkling of negative. It power surges random stuff, communicates through consoles and seemingly telepathy, never fully giving them undivided attention. It can blink a fight out of reality or seemingly teleport a new monster into the middle of one just to see how they react/handle -the more Lovecraftian in appearance and behavior the better.

A fail state for the monster could be it growing too bored with them and it dismissively leaves in a way that causes some kind of critical complication. The success state is the creature had it's curiosity satisfied and gives them something 4th dimensional, whether they'll be able to comprehend or use it or not. Or just gives them the mcguffin of the encounter they're currently worming on when it leaves or instagibbs a/the BBEG they're in the middle of fighting/interacting with.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Like for example you kill it several minutes ago, which results in its projection dying inexplicably several minutes into the past/future. Or for another example, it sees you in the future and reacts in the past accordingly.
I like this - I can have it play out by having a creature appear in front of them and keel over dead, then they fight it a few minutes later and it "timeports" to the moment they saw it die.

Arglebargle III posted:

Also don't be afraid of doing things and never explaining. The sina qua non of cosmic horror is never explaining anything. Make weird things happen, refuse to explain them. Players will feel like they've accomplished something just by escaping intact.

Also a good point - even if there's a reason something happened, they won't have the tools to unpack the dimension it happened in, and therefore they might be left wondering.

Dameius posted:

Have a Q like creature idly following the players progress once they reach the second lab group. Mostly or physically entirely existing in the 4th dimension, it's basically only interacting with their 3d space in a causal way, sometimes in helpful ways, other times neutral and a sprinkling of negative. It power surges random stuff, communicates through consoles and seemingly telepathy, never fully giving them undivided attention. It can blink a fight out of reality or seemingly teleport a new monster into the middle of one just to see how they react/handle -the more Lovecraftian in appearance and behavior the better.

Yes! Maybe a high enough check against their software or cryptography skills would let them read some information out of a blinking light. Maybe I periodically roll a die behind the screen that has random beneficial or harmful things happen (a power surge fries some cables but causes a door to open; the end of a corridor recedes impossibly far away).

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

1secondpersecond posted:

I like this - I can have it play out by having a creature appear in front of them and keel over dead, then they fight it a few minutes later and it "timeports" to the moment they saw it die.

Also a good point - even if there's a reason something happened, they won't have the tools to unpack the dimension it happened in, and therefore they might be left wondering.

Yes! Maybe a high enough check against their software or cryptography skills would let them read some information out of a blinking light. Maybe I periodically roll a die behind the screen that has random beneficial or harmful things happen (a power surge fries some cables but causes a door to open; the end of a corridor recedes impossibly far away).

Don't forget the ever present suddenly flickering and dimming lights for seemingly no cause, conveniently casting their narrow path into strips of ominous darkness; a staple of horror and suspense for a reason.

If you're wanting to build that tension and suspense with your players, have plenty of those mechanically uneventful scenery events (flickering lights et al), and do hidden rolls about a third to half again as frequently as you plan to do for actual events.

Another idea I just had, you could also do a roll to randomly pick one of the PCs and at the narratively highest impact have the entity bring that PC's consciousness into the 4th dimension for just slightly longer than convenient for what the party is doing right then. Have the player do some kind of blind roll at the start of the session. If they fail then that means when they were taken into the 4th dimension their brain couldn't cope and the 4th dimensional effects are causing migraines and/or brain fog and/or out of time order hallucinations (you could slip in some world building of seeing what the researchers in the lab were getting up to before the players arrived or what the antagonist/s were up to if they're present so it isn't all negative effects), etc... If they passed then they gained some heightened sense of enlightenment from the experience and are getting the same world building hallucination benefits but from an unnervingly correct streak of intuition. Even seemingly to guess passwords/pins on the first try or finding key cards or extra hidden loot without much effort. This could also include looking forward in time to see their confrontation with the lab's BBEG or whatever else you think would feel cool in the moment.

Either way, the mechanical effects will have mostly worn off by the time they leave the lab but the experience leave them forever changed if you and the player want to RP it out like that.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Another option for timeporting; have a weird monster seemingly no-sell all damage as the players attack it. No bullet wounds, no cuts, no effect at all. Then when it runs out of HP, stop time.

Water stops falling, curtains become an impossible barrier, fog becomes difficult terrain. The monster does a kamikaze charge for a d4 rounds pursuing players around a suddenly frozen world, and then all its injuries occur simultaneously and instantly, showering them in monster bits.

Once truely dead, time resumes. If you reuse this monster a few times, the players might come up with some wild tactics...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's a really cool idea!

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Squidster posted:

Another option for timeporting; have a weird monster seemingly no-sell all damage as the players attack it. No bullet wounds, no cuts, no effect at all. Then when it runs out of HP, stop time.

Water stops falling, curtains become an impossible barrier, fog becomes difficult terrain. The monster does a kamikaze charge for a d4 rounds pursuing players around a suddenly frozen world, and then all its injuries occur simultaneously and instantly, showering them in monster bits.

Once truely dead, time resumes. If you reuse this monster a few times, the players might come up with some wild tactics...

Whoa, I will be using this!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
As a player I'm immediately thinking of ways to counter time kamikazes; rope climb up a water stream to escape, swim through fog toward higher ground...

Maybe draw a curtain across the hallway and blindfire through it, hoping it'll be stuck on the other side. Pin it in place with the foam from a fire extinguisher, or drop a grenade to throw a debris shield it can't get through. Your barrier doesn't need to last longer than a single instant...

I feel like there's some fun environmental problem solving opportunities in there.

Edit: I feel like anything that dies during the time bubble should freeze immediately. So maybe an NPC gets merked shielding a player, and the monster can't get past the corpse to kill them.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 20, 2023

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Squidster posted:

This is a lot like the tachyon troll from Veins of the Earth (a rich, uh, vein of very hosed monster concepts)

You meet it at 1 hit point, full of wounds inflicted by your weapons which disappear when you hit it. You have to fight it back to full health and then all the way back down again to kill it. All the while it emits time waves that age you and spouts lines like "Did I dream this battle when I died? Or is that other self the dream and this dream true?"

It's probably one of the most mundane monsters in there.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Hi all, first time posting here but was just hoping for some advice as a relatively inexperienced DM who is going to be running a Strixhaven campaign with 5e.

I’m looking for advice/tips from anyone who may have ran a game with more mages and higher amount of magic involved. I want to be able to properly describe this school as fantastical and a place where magic is just a normal thing. Like teachers using magic to enhance their voice to present like a megaphone and stuff like that!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Youremother posted:

I've always found it easiest to understand and list all of the monster's and NPC's motivations. Are they just bloodthirsty? Do they have an ulterior motive? It helps improv weird situations that they get into. I run Call of Cthulhu, though I think it could be applicable to any game. I don't like to just have monsters that attack, I like to know why they're attacking and run with that.

For instance, I was running a CoC game (Amidst the Ancient Trees) and the characters came upon a broken-down truck in the woods. The driver was trying to fix it. He was hauling dynamite (with the intention of using it to unearth Gla'aki, He Wo Inhabits the Lake, but the characters didn't know that. He also had a gaping hole in his chest and was essentially a zombie). He didn't attack the characters because his goal wasn't to just be evil, he wanted to bring his god back to Earth. He was spooked by the overly curious players and locked himself in his truck. This led my players to slash his tires which forced his hand. It was only after they had killed him and searched his body that they realized he had a gaping hole in his chest... after they'd headshotted him with a rifle.

They still feel bad about slashing his tires, too. He was just trying to do his (evil) job!

There was another situation where a character was searching a library for clues, and I let him roll even though there was nothing to find... he rolled a critical success and I had to figure out on the fly what a critical success looked like when there was nothing to find. So he found some old pornography hidden behind some books. A failed sleight of hand roll later and all of the players were locked up in the jail overnight, and banned from the library. There still wasn't anything else to find there, but they didn't know that, and they thought they'd hosed up. They even tried to put on disguises and go back to the library, but that didn't work and they almost ended up back in jail.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly I find it easier to just tell people when there's nothing to be found and not to bother rolling.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

Honestly I find it easier to just tell people when there's nothing to be found and not to bother rolling.

I should have but I was a fairly new GM and had him roll...not really thinking about what I would do if he rolled very well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If they roll really well, just have some list of things in mind that are small rewards for stuff like that, a healing potion, small bag of coins, whatever. Or just nothing, that's also fine, tell them despite their best efforts they just find some dust bunnies or monster leavings.

There's the school of thought that you only roll if there's a consequence for failure (such as not finding anything), but unless you're pressed for time as players, rolling is fun and gives opportunities to critically fail and stub your toe or make noise to alert monsters or something - so if they want to do that, then they can. But that's just how me and my players roll (heh).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's fun to change things on the fly as well, to follow the Yes, And rule. For example last session my players correctly guessed who was behind the mysterious contacts in their game, so I just had him show up directly at the next negotiation.

You never know what your players will fixate on. Rolling up some mundane loot like a medpack might have them using it sessions later where they could have easily acquired the same thing but it never occurred to them.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 1, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

LeafyGreens posted:

Hi all, first time posting here but was just hoping for some advice as a relatively inexperienced DM who is going to be running a Strixhaven campaign with 5e.

I’m looking for advice/tips from anyone who may have ran a game with more mages and higher amount of magic involved. I want to be able to properly describe this school as fantastical and a place where magic is just a normal thing. Like teachers using magic to enhance their voice to present like a megaphone and stuff like that!

Lots of customized, specialized cantrip devices. You could even have teachers have a uniform of a robe with a chain on top with a bunch of gems on it (as a wide necklace hanging on the shoulders or sash) with each gem being a cantrip they need.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

There's the school of thought that you only roll if there's a consequence for failure (such as not finding anything)

That school of thought (which I generally prefer) is actually a bit stronger than that: "not finding anything" isn't an interesting consequence for failure, so don't roll for it! If you can't think of an interesting risk, just give them the thing.

For running mysteries in particular, things can really grind to a halt if you're gating information behind rolls. My default move would be to gate safe research (such as library or internet trawling) behind a time cost rather than a roll, or to have any roll be one that reduces the time cost: paying the time will be enough to either get you the information or know that the information can't be found via that means. Make a little default calendar of what bad poo poo happens if players don't make progress (more murders, or the bad guys get out of town, or other, dumber citizen investigators load their shotguns and try to solve the situation, or whatever) and hold to it as the clock progresses, revising every so often to account for the affects of PC choices.

Depending on your playstyle you might also allow a big success on a "dead" roll to be carried over to a roll where it actually matters, though some players might find that a little gamey.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Dameius posted:

Lots of customized, specialized cantrip devices. You could even have teachers have a uniform of a robe with a chain on top with a bunch of gems on it (as a wide necklace hanging on the shoulders or sash) with each gem being a cantrip they need.

Ohh that’s cool, thank you! Yeah I struggle to imagine a mage who could have the ability to just cast magic to do whatever they wanted wouldn’t just do that! Like an ammo belt of spells

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LeafyGreens posted:

Ohh that’s cool, thank you! Yeah I struggle to imagine a mage who could have the ability to just cast magic to do whatever they wanted wouldn’t just do that! Like an ammo belt of spells

watch the fantasia bit with the brooms. also you can make a bunch of tech support jokes.

the potential for scrying is interesting - how do wizards stop themselves being scryed on all the time?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

sebmojo posted:

watch the fantasia bit with the brooms. also you can make a bunch of tech support jokes.

the potential for scrying is interesting - how do wizards stop themselves being scryed on all the time?

Theres a few ideas ive seen made in older dnd books. Alarms, zones of cant scrye, zones of anti magic, putting your wizard castle in a pocket dimension or another plane entirely, a spell from ....fourth ed? Maybe that was basically if you scrye on an area you get fireballed in the face.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Lots of anti-cheating polymorph/teleportation runes. As in if the student tries to cheat via scrying or whatever they get turned into a sheep and ported to the shame pen.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Make an environment in which magic replaces technology for quality of life improvements. Ledgers that store and retrieve entered information (laptops). self-sweeping brooms, shovels, hedge clippers, etc. rooms that cool food or keep things frozen. Boxes that cook food without fire. Mirrors for communication (zoom calls).

Walk into your kitchen and replace every appliance there with a magical equivalent and you have a world in which magic is mundane and very helpful at the same time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agrikk posted:

Make an environment in which magic replaces technology for quality of life improvements. Ledgers that store and retrieve entered information (laptops). self-sweeping brooms, shovels, hedge clippers, etc. rooms that cool food or keep things frozen. Boxes that cook food without fire. Mirrors for communication (zoom calls).

Walk into your kitchen and replace every appliance there with a magical equivalent and you have a world in which magic is mundane and very helpful at the same time.

magic that's a bit poo poo. like a door answering spell that always talks in terrible rhymes, but just makes up words if it doesn't know a rhyme, appliances with terrible personalities

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Have a zombie that is a teacher because they died one day but didn't let that stop them from missing their next lecture. Comedy option, no one is enrolled in their class.

e: add a high energy magical research department that pushes the boundaries of understanding of magic using their Greater Orthological Language Edification Machine (G.O.L.E.M.) that is itself thousands of golem brains chained together. Basically particle research via super computer.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 2, 2023

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Enchanted Amulet of Goatse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I don't understand how of the multiple people I've asked to join my game, all 20 have said that 2 PM EST on a sunday is too late in the day for them. I'm not even asking Europeans exclusively.