Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea I grew up with them too so it's definitely nostalgia. Similarly, my brain often thinks about picking up ebay listings of ZBots. Little tiny guys are cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Good Listener posted:

NGL I kind of like that minicon more than owning another Rodimus just cuz I already have both his studio serieses. I've had that thought honestly that I kinda wanna just buy minicons/original micromasters and I don't know why other than they're cool and tiny.

The little minicon is pretty cool.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Good Listener posted:

Yea I grew up with them too so it's definitely nostalgia. Similarly, my brain often thinks about picking up ebay listings of ZBots. Little tiny guys are cool!

oh gently caress yes

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love the Dr Wu micromasters, they’re such fun little dudes!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If they weren't so drat expensive I'd have the whole series

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

very risky blowjob posted:

oh gently caress yes
BA

ZOO

KA

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
All the little guys are pretty much interchangeable to me.

And, most importantly, rad.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
80s Micromasters >< Armada Minicons > Later Minicons >> Earthrise Micromasters

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

earthrise micromasters have the key advantage of "no, totally, this is them forming a gun, not just robot 69ing. promise"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Phy posted:

80s Micromasters >< Armada Minicons > Later Minicons >> Earthrise Micromasters

Agreed

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
it feels like they did the Military ones with Flak and the sword jet, and were like "this idea is great, 10/10," then they hit the car guys and were just hosed

https://twitter.com/AssGobots/status/1697037328827421142

Man old TF commercials were all noise and bluster, look at these smooth moves. This dude converts his Gobots then goes out and eats caviar.

Anora fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 31, 2023

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
That dude for sure is the Grey Poupon giver in most social interactions. But of course.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Anora posted:

Man old TF commercials were all noise and bluster, look at these smooth moves. This dude converts his Gobots then goes out and eats caviar.

Gobots knew the future was in selling toys to adults.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
That right there is a guy who will happily invite you into his conversation pit to see more of his collection.

You have to take off your shoes; he will not allow the Dirt of the Outside in his sanctum sanctorum.

Socks, too. First one, then the other. It feels so natural. The fireplace roars, the air feels thin; you are giddy. The flames dance with fractal energy, reflecting in the skylight above with infinite branching potentiality [What was in that drink?] The shag carpet brushes between your toes, your nerves chafing on every rough molecule.

You leave, but outside there is Nothing. Between one awkward step and the next, 40 years pass. You are young and scared. You are old and scared. You are muttering excuses and escaping. You are buying boutique $300 versions of these toys on your computer. His hand is on yours. Manipulating the mouse. You can't tell where his hand ends and yours begins. You never will.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

aw yeah Amazon let me know that Studio Series Core Class Frenzy (Red) is going to turn up in a couple of weeks

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That ad makes me want to go find some Gobots now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah those looked pretty tits especially the jet

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think a big part of the reason why Go-Bots bombed was just that they were all so small. Even though they were just as high-quality as Transformers, any kid's going to go for a big Optimus Prime over a 4" Leader-1. Super Go-Bots kind of fixed this, but by then Go-Bots had already been established as the lame ones and there was no coming back.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

Super Go-Bots kind of fixed this

Even then, I remember my perception at the time being they were weird with their little car cabins for heads. (I know now there were Super Gobots that looked more conventional, but I didn't at the time.)

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 1, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Knormal posted:

I think a big part of the reason why Go-Bots bombed was just that they were all so small. Even though they were just as high-quality as Transformers, any kid's going to go for a big Optimus Prime over a 4" Leader-1. Super Go-Bots kind of fixed this, but by then Go-Bots had already been established as the lame ones and there was no coming back.
I don't think I was ever aware of them as a kid, but as a grownup I'm all "OMG LOOKIT THOSE LITTLE GUYS!".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Since Machine Robo was like 95% little guys(and Go-Bots only a little less like maybe 85% due to many of the Tonka* original molds being larger ones) most of them still hold up pretty well, much like how many of the G1 TF figures that hold up are the smaller scale ones

*well them and the various other toy companies they licensed Go-Bots out to who made proper transforming figures as well

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Knormal posted:

Well that and releasing an entire line based on transforming rocks.

http://www.gbwiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Rock_Lords_(toyline)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phy posted:

Even then, I remember my perception at the time being they were weird with their little car cabins for heads. (I know now there were Super Gobots that looked more conventional, but I didn't at the time.)
True, I remember having the yellow VW Bug Super Go-Bot with the windshield face and weird claw hands and just thinking "I wish this looked cooler so I could pretend it was Bumblebee".

kilus aof posted:

Well that and releasing an entire line based on transforming rocks.

http://www.gbwiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Rock_Lords_(toyline)
By that point the battle was already lost, but that was still an absolutely bizarre business decision that seemed like they were intenionally trying to kill the line.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/Powellpatine/status/1697725611588857928?t=d1gIm3i_rgT1ZvKx1KlhQA&s=19

If you guys can help in any way…

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Phy posted:

also they had names like "Baron Von Smooches" and "Bubble-O"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if go bots names were a big part of why they lost out. In the one corner, the maniacal MEGATRON. In the other... Cy-Kill. Really threatening.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Go Bots didn't bomb, Transformers just outsold them due to having a way better media presence and Tonka not giving as much of a poo poo as Hasbro

Go Bots also own bones and they're super fun little toys to transform back and forth, I wish that bandai would reissue the originals in the US under the MR name or something, but with packaging that echoes the 80s Go Bots blister packs

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Go-bots rule.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
This is new one to me, never heard of this happening before: https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/fans-reporting-fungal-growth-on-amazon-exclusive-nacelle-figure/47875/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Knormal posted:

I saw an interesting video how GoBots beat Transformers to the punch in about every way* - toys, cartoon, I think even the movie - but still managed to lose out in the market because none of those were as good as the other robots in disguise.

*Except a comic and it's weird to say now but having an ongoing comic series was a huge advertisement boost back then.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"Go-bot" sounds weirdly childish too, and yes they're actual toys for kids, but if you ARE a kid you want your toys to sound cool, not for little BABIES

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAbD32FUcjo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Honestly the best line of the live action movies

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

You've heard of GPS and Cosmic Rust, get ready for nacellosis

Medullah posted:

Honestly the best line of the live action movies

Wish we could get Shatter in more things, honestly.

Phy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 2, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Apparently this isn’t mold, but a mold (as in toy) release agent

Seibertron is spreading false information

https://twitter.com/decepticonaiden/status/1697743545686225147?s=46&t=idHOluBX7WY76GN9uEVUwg

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems odd that they didn't clean it off and it's not consistent across instances. Plus it really looks like mould.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

If they're leaving that much of some chemical on a figure that's still a problem. I'd imagine that stuff's fairly toxic.

If it is mold, that's gross, but it's not going to harm the plastic and is pretty unlikely to be one of the handful of types that are harmful to humans. Just wash it off with soapy water and leave it in a dry place for a couple days. And it's probably more likely to have grown from how Amazon shipped or stored the figures than how they left the factory, or else it'd be happening on more than an Amazon-exclusive figure.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, a lot of the time mould release agent just means vaseline.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I'm pretty sure the article writer at Seibertron just heard Mould Release and went 'oh it's fungus' because they have no idea how the sausage is made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thew got a new place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soiFKPmHVHU