Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can't believe that you can craft all of your gear, build a mansion if you want.... but still have to buy a fishing pole.

Just let us craft one. C'mon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
It looks like Hildir's Request is up

Burns
May 10, 2008

I found Hildir but i thought she would show the new cave locations once found. Guess not?

Figured it out. Clicking the map beside Hildir updates the map locations.

Burns fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 23, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is finding Hildir basically the same process as finding Haldor?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Is finding Hildir basically the same process as finding Haldor?

Yes. She spawns in the meadows.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burns posted:

Yes. She spawns in the meadows.
Cool. Time to sail around and see if I left enough land unexplored for her to spawn.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Cool. Time to sail around and see if I left enough land unexplored for her to spawn.

I found her relatively quickly myself. We also left much of the north, south and west unexplored though.

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

Did they change quick stacking from how it was on the PTR? I used to be able to put stuff in chests without actually opening them but I can't find that now that the patch is live.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

President in Residence posted:

Did they change quick stacking from how it was on the PTR? I used to be able to put stuff in chests without actually opening them but I can't find that now that the patch is live.
I didn't play the PTR, but if you hold E on a chest it will auto-sort into nearby chests (I think) and then immediately close the chest you used.

President in Residence
May 12, 2003

On the PTR you could just spam Shift + E all over your chests without having to open them. It was great.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
All i gotta say is

they were bros, man

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I built a raft to get across a wide stretch of water to get onto an island. When I was done there and headed back my raft was gone. Is this normal? Any idea what causes it to happen and how I can avoid it? It's not a huge deal I guess I could just build another but it's annoying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the weather was a bit rough then boats tend to get banged into the seafloor a lot and die, also mobs will try to destroy them.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Either a mob wandered by and destroyed it or rough seas bashed it to death.

Beach your boat, drop a workbench, and deconstruct the boat to get the materials back. It's a zero loss game to rebuild the boat when you are ready to leave.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Yeah, you may find the materials sunk into the water. You may need to jump in creatively to sink deep enough to pick them up.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Huh I didn't know mobs would attack a raft. What a bunch of bastards. Anyway another noob question, I just got bronze and have quite a few bronze weapons available to me now. Which one is considered to be the best? Ive been using the flint spear (except for skeletons then I've been using the club) mostly up to this point so is the bronze spear any good?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Huh I didn't know mobs would attack a raft. What a bunch of bastards. Anyway another noob question, I just got bronze and have quite a few bronze weapons available to me now. Which one is considered to be the best? Ive been using the flint spear (except for skeletons then I've been using the club) mostly up to this point so is the bronze spear any good?

You want the mace and maybe the atgeir for trolls if you don't feel like shooting them to death. Other weapons are pretty much a waste of bronze, imo. I skip the atgeir too.

Oh, and the axe. You'll want that too, buy for harvesting reasons and not combat. That should probably be the second thing you make after a buckler. It will serve you fine until a mace, which you also might be able to skip depending on how rough the skeletons are.

E: I also try to minimize my bronze consumption because I find it annoying to make.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 2, 2023

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Charliegrs posted:

Generally speaking, your blunt weapons per tier will take you the farthest. But this is somewhat a personal preference. Some people will fight you before you can take the spear out of their cold dead fingers.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm on Team Knife forever. Sometimes with a shield, sometimes I roll dodge, sometimes I just sprint around to avoid getting hit.

Of course the bow is the most important weapon regardless of tier.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Spear fucks for a lot of content but when mace is better it's overwhelmingly better.

S'why I tend to carry both.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Bronze is a gigantic pain in the rear end to make, I like just making the axe then using that exclusively. Make a good bow and use that for killing trolls

Burns
May 10, 2008

Honestly, make everything, test everything and forge armories worth of gear. Its good to have back up gear.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah if you get a ton of bronze you will also have a lot of stone, and you need a lot of stone.

Between stone and black marble my main base probably has about 7,000 units, as a very rough guess. It's gotten a lot more complicated than this older photo:

Eifert Posting posted:

Current base:

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Burns posted:

Honestly, make everything, test everything and forge armories worth of gear. Its good to have back up gear.

This, you will need it. Naked corpse runs blow.
Also it looks cool a gently caress on armor stands all over your Viking village.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

Mace! Don't sleep on sledges (Stagbeaker), they're slow as hell but they do AOE damage that goes thru walls. This is really handy in dungeons. Clear a chamber before you enter it handy. 95% of anything you'll meet in the game is weak to/not resistant to blunt, so leveling mace will never leave you at a disadvantage.

Burns posted:

But also this, find out what works for you. And the poo poo you don't like becomes decorations on the wall. win/win unless you really hate mining.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Charliegrs posted:

Atgeir for sure. But also probably a mace and buckler, and for sure an axe and likely a pickaxe, not for combat but for resources.

e: VVVV it is definitely not infinite but yea that guy gets it

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 2, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Atgeirs are grossly overpowered because their spin attack does infinity stagger damage

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Abyssal razor is def underrated. I never really built it before but it absolutely wrecks swamp mobs and still felt plenty safe with a bronze buckler. Not having to craft a bronze mace is so nice.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

So I built a raft to get across a wide stretch of water to get onto an island. When I was done there and headed back my raft was gone. Is this normal? Any idea what causes it to happen and how I can avoid it? It's not a huge deal I guess I could just build another but it's annoying.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: raw materials that are not within range of a workbench will despawn after a while. So if something attacks your boat and you're not there to get the mats and there's no workbench around, mats will despawn.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

Bronze is a gigantic pain in the rear end to make, I like just making the axe then using that exclusively. Make a good bow and use that for killing trolls

Yeah, use a bow if you want to spend an hour killing a troll.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
My 8-year-old nephew loves playing "Value-heim" and he managed to beat Eikthyr pretty much all by himself without dying (I had to grab the controller and quickly scarf down some food because I'd forgotten to tell him to eat before the fight and he was pretty low on hp). He started out shooting it with fire arrows and running away, but by the last third of the fight, he was getting close and hitting the giant deer with his club. When my sister told him it was time to leave, he excitedly ran downstairs yelling "Mom! I beat the first boss in Value-heim! Now I can get metal!"

He's very determined to beat up skeletons with his club, and thought they were the worst thing in the game until he saw (and got splatted by) a troll. Now that he's beat Eikthyr, he's pretty sure he can go back and kill that troll with his club (he likes his club).

He's absolutely adorable while playing because he does things like going home to bed every night ("he needs to sleep or he'll be tired in the morning"), or making greylings chase him back home so he can watch them run away from the torches (before he hits them with his club).

"Why are they called 'necks'? That's weird. They should call them 'tails' because they have big tails, and because you get tails from them."

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 2, 2023

Burns
May 10, 2008

Trolls might be resistant to clubs. He might want a spear for them.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Burns posted:

Trolls might be resistant to clubs. He might want a spear for them.

He's probably going to do poorly the first couple of times, no matter what weapon he has, but he did make a spear and a dagger already (he didn't like them as much as the club). He uses the club for almost everything but wood-chopping. Once he starts mining copper and tin, he'll see all the new stuff he can make (with some guidance from me, of course) and I'm guessing he'll want to upgrade to a sword when he sees it's an option.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Slow News Day posted:

If you open with a sneak attack, you can get them down to about half health by the time they even manage to walk up to you (using a finewood bow and some fire arrows). It really isn't that difficult. Particularly in context, my advice was to limit your time making bronze, because it sucks rear end and if you try to make a ton of tools and weapons, you're going to spend actual hours mining copper.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Slow News Day posted:

Taking a bit longer to kill a few trolls with a finewood bow and fire arrows is probably faster than all the extra time to farm bronze for an atgeir I'll shortly abandon in the swamps, where everything seems resistant to pierce or annoying to melee.

Imo, the best weapons per tier are:
Meadows: spear, finewood bow if you can manage early fine wood.

Black Forest: Finewood bow, mace, and abyssal razor. The axe also must get made, but not because it's good for fighting. I'll still use it though. The atgeir is good, don't get me wrong, I just only make it if I can't find an abyssal razor or find myself swimming in bronze for some reason. Come to think of it I should try skipping the mace too. You can also very quickly kill trolls with a flint spear and parries. When the ashlands drops I might go through and skip the shield and mace for an atgeir too.

Swamp: mace, hands down. You will also likely need a source of slashing damage from your choice of axe or sword. The axe also is a tool for faster chopping and the sword comes with an extra attack if you want. Unfortunately the abyssal knife does half slash and half pierce, and abominations are very resistant to pierce.

Mountain: Frostner, Draugr Fang, Fang Spear. The Spear is amazingly good for the cost, and the first two are also debatablely best in class for the game.

Plains: blackmetal atgeir. You'll also still use frostner and the draugr fang.

Mistlands; whatever you want. Himmim afl mistwalker, fire staff are all excellent. I primarily use the atgeir and staff right now, with some dabbling in the blood magic shield staff.

E: I didn't mention shields, but the buckler of each tier is probably one of the most worthwhile investments after whatever unlocks new resources. I build the iron round shield instead of the buckler just because I think it looks better though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 3, 2023

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I never stop using frostner once I get it. The slow and bonus damage vs wet enemies is too good

Edit: I expect it to perform well in the Ashlands as well

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

beats for junkies posted:

My 8-year-old nephew loves playing "Value-heim" and he managed to beat Eikthyr pretty much all by himself without dying (I had to grab the controller and quickly scarf down some food because I'd forgotten to tell him to eat before the fight and he was pretty low on hp). He started out shooting it with fire arrows and running away, but by the last third of the fight, he was getting close and hitting the giant deer with his club. When my sister told him it was time to leave, he excitedly ran downstairs yelling "Mom! I beat the first boss in Value-heim! Now I can get metal!"

He's very determined to beat up skeletons with his club, and thought they were the worst thing in the game until he saw (and got splatted by) a troll. Now that he's beat Eikthyr, he's pretty sure he can go back and kill that troll with his club (he likes his club).

He's absolutely adorable while playing because he does things like going home to bed every night ("he needs to sleep or he'll be tired in the morning"), or making greylings chase him back home so he can watch them run away from the torches (before he hits them with his club).

"Why are they called 'necks'? That's weird. They should call them 'tails' because they have big tails, and because you get tails from them."

:love:

I want to come play on your server. I rolled again with Hildir and this is one of the few games I like doing all that progression again.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I started fresh for Hildir, too. Hard mode is pretty fun. I have gotten raided twice by boars, though, because I’ve been screwing around exploring and trying to kill trolls instead of killing Ol Sparkyhorns. Also troll swipes are one-shots.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The bronze atgeir is also an excellent farming tool. Great for harvesting flax and wheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Molybdenum posted:

I never stop using frostner once I get it. The slow and bonus damage vs wet enemies is too good

Edit: I expect it to perform well in the Ashlands as well

Frostner is actually pretty poo poo in that a lot of it's damage is in Spirit (which doesn't work against most enemies, and none of the enemies that are actually threatening to you at that point) and Frost, which while the slow is nice, I'd much rather just have the higher blunt damage of the Iron Mace. The high knockback of Frostner is also pretty counter effective against tar blobs too.

Atgeir spin to win plus mace against mobs resistance to pierce is really the way to go.