Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

abelwingnut posted:

so watched cemetery man last night and, by god, it's brilliant.
:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Got Shiva Baby, Her Smell, Incredible Melting Man and Guest House Paradiso. VS' overseas shipping has stayed quite reasonable too, which is nice.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Speaking of Rudy’s…. Rudy 4K announced. We Stan a short king!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

VoodooXT posted:

There are roughly 400 copies left of Snapshot. Do not sleep on Snapshot, it's REALLY good.

Seconded, finally watched this the other day after getting it during the last sale, and it rips. Bunch of Ozploitation producers, writers, director, and actors involved. Toe Cutter/Immortan Joe popped up and he was amazing, didn't even know he was going to be in it.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

There are roughly 400 copies left of Snapshot. Do not sleep on Snapshot, it's REALLY good.

Only 283 left, I’m gonna roll the dice on this one. Thanks for the rec!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

For the past couple days I've been thinking I really need to give up on blind buying. So often it's a movie I either don't really like or like but will never watch a second time. I need to stick to only buying movies I know I like or come strongly recommended by people whose opinion I trust.

Earlier tonight I watched The Booth, a movie I have never heard a single person on earth mention, that I bought on DVD at Half Price Books on a whim. It turned out to be a fantastic, unique, tightly-scripted in real time movie about a radio call-in show that gets interference from a ghost. It loving kicked rear end. And I never would've watched it if I hadn't blind bought it on a whim.

edit: also, I had a weird feeling, has anybody badmouthed Southland Tales in the past couple pages?

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 2, 2023

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

VoodooXT posted:

I also bought Snapshot because of this post

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I Do Not Care If We Go Down In History As Barbarians is insanely good and only 11 bucks.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Gripweed posted:

For the past couple days I've been thinking I really need to give up on blind buying. So often it's a movie I either don't really like or like but will never watch a second time. I need to stick to only buying movies I know I like or come strongly recommended by people whose opinion I trust.

Earlier tonight I watched The Booth, a movie I have never heard a single person on earth mention, that I bought on DVD at Half Price Books on a whim. It turned out to be a fantastic, unique, tightly-scripted in real time movie about a radio call-in show that gets interference from a ghost. It loving kicked rear end. And I never would've watched it if I hadn't blind bought it on a whim.

edit: also, I had a weird feeling, has anybody badmouthed Southland Tales in the past couple pages?

The Booth sounds interesting. Thanks for picking it up so the 4k can be announced next week and a bunch of us can also blind buy it for a lot more money

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Bought Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things because of the title

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah, The Booth is a pretty excellent film. I was and still am a big fan of those Tartan Asia Extreme releases. Whispering Corridors, The Slit-Mouth Woman, A Tale of Two Sisters, obviously Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance... It was really an amazing time where you could go to Best Buy or Borders and pick up any one of those titles. Foreign language, subtitled, in a major US retailer? Not anymore.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I don't think I could ever give up blind buying.

It really helps that I have a group of friends who hang out and watch movies with me most Sundays, but it's so much more fun when we're all surprised by something.

A few weeks ago we watched Goodfellas, and we all loved it because all but one of us had already seen it multiple times, but that feeling can't compare to watching something like Iceman Cometh and being completely blindsided by how much fun it is.

At the same time, even when something sucks, it's still fun to joke around about it and bring it up weeks later to gripe.

The way I see it is, it's basically gambling, but I can sell my losses for something.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The ways i sees it, one day the glut of these wild boutique releases will dry up considerably. But i will be able to pull something off the shelf i bought six years ago and forgot to watch and have a good night.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, at this point my blind buying of old films I've never heard of track record is going better than my blind Shudder streaming of new Originals releases this year. Even if that weren't the case I still wouldn't give up blind buying, but it's helping expand my taste and increase my positive reviews on Letterboxd way more than the alternative; Physical Media Forever

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 2, 2023

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I've bought some real corkers blind buying from boutique labels, but then my blind buying is aided by the fact that a lot of these movies are titles I used to read about in cult movie magazines like Shock Cinema. Like I blind bought Penitentiary 1 and 2 with my latest VinSyn order, but I knew about those movies from reading about them years ago in some magazine or book. Don't know if that really counts as "blind buying" then, but the quick blurbs I used to read are pretty much what you get with VinSyn's synopses and reviews. I guess I just have the benefit of decades of hype.

This sale I bought: Penitentiary 1 + 2, Shiva Baby, Beats and Amityville Dollhouse. I have zero experience with anything Amityville, but I heard Dollhouse is pretty great so I'm taking a chance. I'm sure it has just as much to do with the original movie as any of the hundreds of "Amityville" knockoffs.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Penitentiary 1 n 2 does not disappoint

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

King Vidiot posted:

I've bought some real corkers blind buying from boutique labels, but then my blind buying is aided by the fact that a lot of these movies are titles I used to read about in cult movie magazines like Shock Cinema. Like I blind bought Penitentiary 1 and 2 with my latest VinSyn order, but I knew about those movies from reading about them years ago in some magazine or book. Don't know if that really counts as "blind buying" then, but the quick blurbs I used to read are pretty much what you get with VinSyn's synopses and reviews. I guess I just have the benefit of decades of hype.

That’s basically what I’ve done with all the Hong Kong stuff I’ve blind bought. I owned three different books as a teen that talked about Burning Paradise, you think I’m not gonna drop $30 on a restored Blu Ray?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I've watched so many movies just because I bought this cool book of VHS cover art :allears: A good blind buy can be joyous. Psycho Cop Returns was something special. For every CrossBones you pick up at a thrift store, you get a Skeleton Man. It's a fun gamble, especially if you can get stuff for cheap.

This VS sale we ended up finishing with the Rudy Ray Moore collection, Thrust, Detention (with that beautiful slipcover), Def By Temptation, Commando Ninja, and thanks to this thread Snapshot and "I Do Not Care If We Go Down In History As Barbarians". Really excited for those last two especially. Out of those, Rudy Ray Moore's movies and Def By Temptation are the only ones I've seen.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Looks like the Rudy Ray Moore set is sold out now, so I don’t feel bad ordering it early and paying more because I wasn’t around yesterday to buy it on sale anyway.

It actually came today too, didn’t expect it to get here so fast. I’ve only seen Petey Wheatstraw so I’m excited to check out the others.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Dolemite is one of the most bizarrely edited movies I've ever seen, it's Samurai Cop levels of 'wait why the gently caress did you cut THERE?'

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Having not heard of 75% of this stuff I just watch a trailer on youtube (or skim it on tubi) when a title pops in this thread

Like that golden eye doc..was streaming free on kanopy (thanks library card)..if I bought that from VS i'd be annoyed, it's half interesting and half "we ran out of poo poo to say"..but I'm glad I checked it out, thanks thread

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

My VHS copy of Psycho Goreman is on its way lmao

Please post pics when you get it because I need reassurance that this is a thing that actually exists

pwn
May 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

This VS sale we ended up finishing with the Rudy Ray Moore collection,

Did you get the box for RRM? They sell them separately for $12. Your order hasn't shipped yet so you can just add it to your existing order, which is definitely the most evil thing these fuckers do to divorce you from as much of your money as possible

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

pwn posted:

Did you get the box for RRM? They sell them separately for $12. Your order hasn't shipped yet so you can just add it to your existing order, which is definitely the most evil thing these fuckers do to divorce you from as much of your money as possible

Wait, if I bought the $60 I have to buy the box on its own? That's wild.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

200 left, so they got 4800 people to buy cardboard..impressive

e: not counting people that bought it as a whole set like you though, so who knows how many just boxes

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 2, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I only went for Body Melt and Def by Temptation this time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

No, the set you bought comes with the box. All the movies are also sold as stand alone discs so they were selling just the box for people that bought them one by one and wanted to put together the full set themselves I guess. Odd way to do it, but I think they may have had a couple of the titles available on their own before they put out the full set, so they did it this way so people wouldn’t have to double dip?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

zer0spunk posted:

200 left, so they got 4800 people to buy cardboard..impressive

e: not counting people that bought it as a whole set like you though, so who knows how many just boxes

When I bought the set earlier this week there were ~390 copies left.

if nearly 5000 people bought just the box thinking it was the set with 4 movies, then, lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

This sale I bought: Penitentiary 1 + 2, Shiva Baby, Beats and Amityville Dollhouse. I have zero experience with anything Amityville, but I heard Dollhouse is pretty great so I'm taking a chance. I'm sure it has just as much to do with the original movie as any of the hundreds of "Amityville" knockoffs.

I found Shiva Baby extremely upsetting. It’s scored like a horror movie because it is one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Man, I was really tempted there for a second to buy New York Ninja on VHS, but I stopped myself when I realized that VHS sucks as an actual format. It's great as an idea and an aesthetic, but it's awful to actually sit and watch. I'd basically be getting it as something to sit on my shelf and collect dust, and I already have the restored blu ray big box release.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh my bad, i read "we finished up with the Rudy Ray Moore Collection" as "we finished the Rudy Ray Moore Collection", i.e. you had already bought some of them individually and now you bought the rest. This is why I should not post first thing after waking up!

King Vidiot posted:

Man, I was really tempted there for a second to buy New York Ninja on VHS, but I stopped myself when I realized that VHS sucks as an actual format. It's great as an idea and an aesthetic, but it's awful to actually sit and watch. I'd basically be getting it as something to sit on my shelf and collect dust, and I already have the restored blu ray big box release.

You're goddamned right. I cannot abide attempts to make VHS "a thing", it's such a shite format. I say this as someone with hundreds of the cursed things that I'm slowly digitizing.

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 3, 2023

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I have lots of VHS but I’m also over it, I like watching VHS rips of horror and action films (lots on YouTube fwiw) but as a format they’re just so cumbersome and unreliable.

Edit: not to mention that they’re ugly, it’s cool to watch Redneck Zombies on VHS but trying to get through Suspiria would probably kill me

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 3, 2023

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I have a VCR and a small shelf of VHS tapes, but it's mainly just for show. I have some pretty cool poo poo on VHS, like The Hidden and Beastmaster, but there are way better ways out there to watch that stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
VHS just isn't as good on a flatscreen. I need a real grainy CRT to get into it. Otherwise it's just bad quality.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's definitely fun to create as an art project, both content and packaging, and it can be really charming to stream weird VHS-only stuff or watch on a CRT, and we have a few fun picks like The Guyver and Stay Tuned on display on the shelf, but yeah it's not a great way to watch stuff nowadays. Some aftermarket tapes are cool but it's all about the effort put into making the transfer a full experience to enjoy.

pwn
May 27, 2004

From a rip I did last week. The show ran overtime and, instead of just popping in a second tape, I futily attempted to squeeze everything on one, and...

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1698141739171664239?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My Steelbook for Spiderverse came just now. Looks great! It’s shiny!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Boywhiz88 posted:

yeah I was worried after how hackers shipped out, but its back to the normal slightly bigger box and single air cushion on top of the thing. No issues with ATSV..hopefully that was a one off or something from shout.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Boywhiz88 posted:

Same, it's so lovely. It's interesting they used the classic spider punk design for it instead of the movie one.

Oh, my three days of the condor 4k came too as well as a 4k for the castle of cagliostro (low price on amazon). Good weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I got my replacement discs from VS for Showgirls, but there was also a new booklet in the package? Did I miss a "there was a typo" announcement or something?