Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

corona familiar posted:

did they reschedule for a night when you had a gig

Yep. Because of course they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
cant find much info such as review videos on that manta seat. im wondering if you slide forward on it somehow unwillingly, and if it rubbing on your legs is an annoyance. it's expensive at $200 for something with seemingly no reviews

but it intrigues me. looking for reviews on it just brings up the ARK game, and mostly a rollercoaster

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It was loving hot today but I did a 2nd lap of a hill I do regularly. I’ve never been able to do that before so :yotj:

And then I buzzed and gave a loud “YO” to a guy getting his picture taken in the middle of a section of the bike path that goes under a pier and now I feel bad. It wasn’t like a vacation snap, it was a professional posed picture, but comn, the walking path is right next to the bike path, why you gotta stand there in the way.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
they wanted a mid action shot, you were supposed to crash into him and they probably waited a long time for a chance!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Instead of standing on a bike path to make it look like you're a giant standing on a highway, next time, they should try standing on an actual highway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Awkward Davies posted:

It was loving hot today but I did a 2nd lap of a hill I do regularly. I’ve never been able to do that before so :yotj:

And then I buzzed and gave a loud “YO” to a guy getting his picture taken in the middle of a section of the bike path that goes under a pier and now I feel bad. It wasn’t like a vacation snap, it was a professional posed picture, but comn, the walking path is right next to the bike path, why you gotta stand there in the way.

He was a prick and you were in the right

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

tarlibone posted:

Yep. Because of course they did.

Send your kid on the bike in your stead! (I dont know anything about your family and I am not a parent)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Turmoilx posted:

cant find much info such as review videos on that manta seat. im wondering if you slide forward on it somehow unwillingly, and if it rubbing on your legs is an annoyance. it's expensive at $200 for something with seemingly no reviews

Just cover shipping and you can have mine for testing. I got hoodwinked precisely cuz there were no reviews.

I can't tell if the the pressing into your hamstrings is what causes the sliding forward, or unrelated, but it's noticeable. The sensation didn't bother me, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
REI ebike crew, some good news and bad news --

Good news is a design I commissioned is ready and getting approved/published to RedBubble as we speak.

Bad news is I got down to the nitty gritty of putting the sticker on the default location, and i realized the expected spot on the head tube is occupied by a raised decal:

as well as the rack structure on the e1.2:

You'd have to be all in to want to pry off the existing badge. And i dunno that it'd be worth it if you had the rack.

The sticker dimensions will be 2.5" x 4", the smallest RB sticker. I scale this down more by tweaking the image file, but I think it would be big without insane wraparound.

A proposed alternate location -- the wide open span of the seat tube:

And of course, there's no limitation to where you put the sticker as long as it's a smooth flattish surface.

This is what a 2.5 x 3.5 transparent RB decal looks like on a head tube:

2.5" is the limiting dimension, which is why it's only 3.5" high. I tilted it at a jaunty angle.
The wide part of the head tube is 2.25", which I'm told is what the e1.1/2 have. And I think the seat tube is effectively broader.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 31, 2023

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Making the best of my insomnia.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

dema posted:

Making the best of my insomnia.

Sweet ride.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Well, I signed up for the Gyro Del Montoya... wait, that's not right... Giro Della Montagna event this Sunday; specifically, the 50-ish mile ride. I am pretty sure I can handle this; I've done several 50-mile rides this year. This one is a little hillier, but it shouldn't be too bad.

If I can't handle it, then I'm going to have a lot more trouble with the other thing I'm going to try to do.

Adding to the fun, because of a camping trip, I'm going to have to get creative to get an additional training ride in.

I just have to tell myself that at the end of the month, I'm going to do a 20 mile ride. Then, another 20 mile ride. I'll follow those up with a third 20 mile ride. After the 16 mile ride that come after that, I'll be only a 13 mile ride away from being 11 miles from the finish line.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Metrics are fun.
Imperial centuries I have no desire to do again.

The longest ride I have "scheduled" is BWR:KS 2024 and Salida76 2025, both at 76mi. I know there are longer rides out there, but I have no desire to prove myself against them. I'll probably try to do the metric every month thing again for 2024. One of my goals of coming back to cycling is the 76mi Salida ride before I turn 40.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

99.3 mile “century” smh

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Metrics are fun.
Imperial centuries I have no desire to do again.

The longest ride I have "scheduled" is BWR:KS 2024 and Salida76 2025, both at 76mi. I know there are longer rides out there, but I have no desire to prove myself against them. One of my goals of coming back to cycling is the 76mi Salida ride before I turn 40.

Long rides are the best. Do the festive 500 in one ride. It’s magical.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does it count as one ride if you stop to sleep halfway

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

99.3 mile “century” smh

Yeah, it's not the final route. But, the finish line is a few feet from the Katy, so if I have to grab some extra distance, it'll be easy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slavvy posted:

No

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That means at my long distance average of 25km/h, on a relatively flat route (a challenge in itself where I live but I could just do repeated city laps), I would have to be riding for 20 hours not including breaks

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Slavvy posted:

depends on if you leave the wahoo running but paused :hmmyes:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slavvy posted:

That means at my long distance average of 25km/h, on a relatively flat route (a challenge in itself where I live but I could just do repeated city laps), I would have to be riding for 20 hours not including breaks

Yes this sounds about right

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Long rides are the best. Do the festive 500 in one ride. It’s magical.
No.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

12s GRX is announced today.
1x 10-45t
1x 10-51t
2x 11-34t
2x 11-36t

Mechanical, not di2. Surprising.

E: 12s 105 mechanical too.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 1, 2023

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Slavvy posted:

Yea

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ilkhan posted:

12s GRX is announced today.
1x 10-45t
1x 10-51t
2x 11-34t
2x 11-36t

Mechanical, not di2. Surprising.

E: 12s 105 mechanical too.

that using microspline?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

e.pilot posted:

that using microspline?

The MTB cassettes use MicroSpline. The road cassettes use HG+.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shimano fanboys doing mental gymnastics on how the 10t cog is actually good now that Shimano is using it

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Shimano fanboys doing mental gymnastics on how the 10t cog is actually good now that Shimano is using it

wrong, it’s good because it’s mechanical only. Electronic shifting is a gimmick and I’m glad shimano is beginning to understand that

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

a patagonian cavy posted:

wrong, it’s good because it’s mechanical only. Electronic shifting is a gimmick and I’m glad shimano is beginning to understand that
:getout:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cogs with ten teeth have always been an unalloyed good when you’re working with a single chainring.

You’ll notice that the 2× groupsets only go to eleven.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Reasonable mechanical 10-51 12 speed that's all in-family without any confusing swaps or mtb/road combos sounds great.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I just signed up for a basic bike fit next Tuesday. I'm going to try to address the arm discomfort and big toe numbness i'm getting around mile 50 or so. Also, it's been a year on the road bike now. Time to see how bad my position is!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Platystemon posted:

Cogs with ten teeth have always been an unalloyed good when you’re working with a single chainring.

You’ll notice that the 2× groupsets only go to eleven.

The 10t cog is great with 2x too. I get one more 1-tooth jump and more range than if my cassette started with an 11t cog. Does it have some efficiency losses? Well yes, but that hardly matters because the 10t is to be treated as a “bail-in” gear.

Shimano has a decision to make…do they introduce “MicroSpline Road” and yet another freehub standard to go with MicroSpline, HG, HG 11-speed Road, and HG-EV?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

tarlibone posted:

I just signed up for a basic bike fit next Tuesday. I'm going to try to address the arm discomfort and big toe numbness i'm getting around mile 50 or so. Also, it's been a year on the road bike now. Time to see how bad my position is!

are you going to a physiotherapist or a bike shop? have been thinking about doing a bike fit as well but I would rather get it covered by insurance since paying half-my-bike cost for it out of pocket seems somewhat silly

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

a patagonian cavy posted:

Certainly I know of a few people whose tri bikes with SRAM AXS hosed them in the last few weeks, probably due to getting rained on pre event.

And I’ve seen countless club mates have their di2 randomly die, including on hire bikes.

There are clear performance advantages.

TobinHatesYou posted:

The 10t cog is great with 2x too. I get one more 1-tooth jump and more range than if my cassette started with an 11t cog. Does it have some efficiency losses? Well yes, but that hardly matters because the 10t is to be treated as a “bail-in” gear.

Shimano has a decision to make…do they introduce “MicroSpline Road” and yet another freehub standard to go with MicroSpline, HG, HG 11-speed Road, and HG-EV?

I don’t quite get why they don’t just make everything HG-EV like every other Shimano 12 speed road groupset. Those cassettes work on normal HG 11 speed freehubs anyway right?

Re 10 speed as a bail-in gear; surely you have to use it every time you want a gear higher than 46-11 on standard SRAM? Maybe you’ve got bigger chainrings.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

Certainly I know of a few people whose tri bikes with SRAM AXS hosed them in the last few weeks, probably due to getting rained on pre event.

And I’ve seen countless club mates have their di2 randomly die, including on hire bikes.

There are clear performance advantages.

I don’t quite get why they don’t just make everything HG-EV like every other Shimano 12 speed road groupset. Those cassettes work on normal HG 11 speed freehubs anyway right?

Re 10 speed as a bail-in gear; surely you have to use it every time you want a gear higher than 46-11 on standard SRAM? Maybe you’ve got bigger chainrings.

HG-EV doesn’t support 10t cogs. 10t cogs are kind of important in the MTB/gravel space. Also literally no one uses HG-EV freehubs except Shimano themselves.

I run 48/35 on my main road race bike and 50/37 on my crit bike.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why does your crit bike not have a 60t and only a 60t front ring??

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

corona familiar posted:

are you going to a physiotherapist or a bike shop? have been thinking about doing a bike fit as well but I would rather get it covered by insurance since paying half-my-bike cost for it out of pocket seems somewhat silly

I'm going to a bike shop. This is a basic fitting.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
did the longest ride of my life on Thursday on the Empire State Trail

started at the Botanical Garden in the Bronx, went up the Moulshou Parkway Greenway to Van Cortlandt Park, then up the Old Putnam Greenway, South County Trailway, North County Trailway, Putnam Trailway, Maybook Trailway, and the Duchess Rail Trail, before finishing up in Poughkeepsie and taking the train home. this is all one more or less contiguous paved trail.

I've done the part up to Brewster before, and it's still a great ride. I did have a tree branch fall about five seconds ahead of me and almost kill me, which was some Final Destination poo poo. I'm used to watching for cars and people, not so much trees

my original plan was to ride to Brewster (the end of the Putnam Trailway), which has a train station and would have been exactly 50 miles. I should have stopped there, but instead I thought, "eh, what's 30 more miles?" turns out, a lot - the flat 1% grade up from Brewster was brutal when it was along long stretches of no scenery. while the Old Putnam/SCT/NCT/Putnam trail is twisty and interesting, the Maybrook and Dutchess Trails are some rail trail rear end rail trails, stretching endlessly into the horizon

there was some nice scenery at times at least:

but add in the sun, and headwinds, and my tired legs, and this was the most brutal thing I've ever done on a bike.

weirdly, after this section, I had to detour around a closed section of the trail on a busy two-lane road, and this really gave me a second wind. for about two miles I had to contend with rolling hills, a posted 45mph speed limit, and no shoulders, but this got me out of my pedaling-forever-towards-the-horizon rut. drivers were surprisingly nice, I assume that detour's been in place long enough they're mostly used to it (even when I was holding up a guy who couldn't safely pass since there was a blind hill, he smiled and waved when he finally got past, a thing I am not used to from NYC biking).

that second wind didn't last though - once I reached Hopewell Junction and started on the Dutchess Rail Trail, I was done. strava says i was holding around 10mph the whole way, but it felt like I was slower than I've ever pedaled before, and my legs were just completely shot. I was worried about making it to Poughkeepsie before dark - in retrospect a stupid worry since I probably had like another hour before it got truly dark, but I was pretty stressed at this point - so it was just a miserable last section. I also think my bike chain might have gotten kind of gummed up, which probably wouldn't have helped; it started squeaking midway through my ride so I added some more lube which did make it run better but probably at the cost of dirt and grime sticking more.

in terms of fuel: la colombe canned latte and clif bar in the morning, kind bar, bottled black tea and cookie from a cafe halfway in, jerky stick, snickers bar (this was the most delicious candy bar ive ever eaten in my life and also surprisingly good consistency for eating while on the move) and gatorade, and some lemonade and trail mix right before getting on the train back. this is probably way too little!

i think the changes i'd make for my next time out:

* get a second water bottle. i didn't feel like i needed water that much but i was dehydrated as hell at the end - like, my mouth and lips were pretty messed up.
* get some kind of grips for the brompton that give me a second position to hold my hands in. i'm actually shocked my hands and wrists aren't hurting today, since i really put them through hell yesterday. i also probably should get a bike fitting to put my seat forward/back correctly and stop eyeballing the seat height (they sell a seat height insert so that you can consistently place it every time when unfolding, i just haven't used it yet since i want to get properly fit before setting my height)
* figure out a bag option that isn't my giant brompton front bag. this thing rules for city riding but you can kinda feel the weight and aero loss when you're doing a long ride like this (or trying to do fast laps in central park). i am going to get a rear rack for the brompton at some point, but in the meantime, i might try getting some sort of stem bag or top-tube bag - i already have a fanny pack which can hold one water bottle, just no good way of carrying two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Why does your crit bike not have a 60t and only a 60t front ring??

TBH, both bikes are indeed undergeared!

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 2, 2023