Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
surely there's a tournament in the sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Tournaments are only held in Mortal Kombat 1s.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

1, 2, 2/3rds of 9, and then about 4 seconds (kinda) in 11 when the past versions warp in, and then the other 1?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Making MK into prestige television, now that would be hard. Though they did very well with that first series of shorts that came out 10 years ago or whatever.

Making MK into a schlocky but serviceable fun ride should be easy, but they couldn't find the line that separates cheesy bad and cheesy endearing with that last atrocity.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The new movie did have some legitimately good bits (turning Sub-Zero into basically a horror movie villain for the first act was pretty inspired), but yeah in the end turned out to be less than the sum of its parts. Which is a shame cause they had so much raw loving martial arts talent in there. You could really tell where the execs stuck their dicks in and hosed with it ("But you gotta EXPLAIN how they have those powers!", also the entirety of Cole Young and his family). Ultimately it was just too much setup for not enough pay-off.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah, I forgot that they felt like they had to explain all their powers by saying they all come from the same source and only those chosen for the tournament get them(including Jax' robot arms?????). I don't need you to explain to me why Sub-Zero is a magic ice assassin movie!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rhonne posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot that they felt like they had to explain all their powers by saying they all come from the same source and only those chosen for the tournament get them(including Jax' robot arms?????). I don't need you to explain to me why Sub-Zero is a magic ice assassin movie!

The PRESTIIIIIGEE~~

I remember enjoying the movie when it first came out (especially certain scenes like the button spam jump fight) but I have zero desire to go back and rewatch it now, for whatever that's worth

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

It was alright in a "everyone did their best but no one's gonna win an Oscar here".

People hating on that movie have no idea what it was like to endure Mortal Kombat Annihilation. Even as a 14 year old watching it at the movie theatre I could tell it was lovely and dumb and almost no one involved had any genuine love for the source material. Still, my brothers and I sometimes still go back to some of its unforgettable one-liners. I still appreciate the insane and inappropriately dramatic tone Brian Thompson brought to the role of Shao Kahn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Cole Young is a big part of why people are harsh on the new movie. MK:A was an absolute garbage trash fire with no redeeming qualities whatsoever but I think it's easier for people to forgive than than to forgive having to endure the story of some nobody who they don't care about with no interesting personality or powers when you could be seeing literally anyone else in the movie.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yeah I'll take Cole Young over MK:A any day. That movie is just so bad, goddamn.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Annihilation was bad in big, memorable ways. I cannot remember anything that happened in the new one. Boring is always worse than bad.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKr3Bb53odY

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Annihilation was better imo. But only because as soon as nightwolf shows up, the whole movie goes off the rails. Fun to watch and make fun of.

New mk movie was just about some dude with literal plot armor for a super power.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Unbound posted:

Annihilation was better imo. But only because as soon as nightwolf shows up, the whole movie goes off the rails. Fun to watch and make fun of.

New mk movie was just about some dude with literal plot armor for a super power.

Klearly the new movie needed animalities as a plot device :colbert:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Annihilation also had Smoke and Cyrax. Plus Jax nut punched Motaro so it's clearly better than MK1.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Complete_Cynic posted:

1, 2, 2/3rds of 9, and then about 4 seconds (kinda) in 11 when the past versions warp in, and then the other 1?

And 9 was a retcon of the first three, so my math holds up for the most part. Mortal Kombat stopped being about The Tournament a long time ago.

It's another reason that 11's wiping everything off the table was so frustrating. I don't want to go full fan-fic in here but the idea of an aggressive Raiden leading to Outworld calling for Mortal Kombat is a great idea but doesn't easily lead for new costume bits for pretty princess dress up.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

C. Everett Koop posted:

And 9 was a retcon of the first three, so my math holds up for the most part. Mortal Kombat stopped being about The Tournament a long time ago.

It's another reason that 11's wiping everything off the table was so frustrating. I don't want to go full fan-fic in here but the idea of an aggressive Raiden leading to Outworld calling for Mortal Kombat is a great idea but doesn't easily lead for new costume bits for pretty princess dress up.

A reverse storyline to MK4 would have been pretty rad. Dark Raiden leading Earthrealm forces in an invasion/war against Netherrealm/Liu Kang would have been a great way to continue the story of betrayal that those two had going on.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Been playing mk11 to prepare for mk1 and after playing a lot of SF6 prior to I gotta say MK11 movement does feel sluggish and stuck in the mud.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The 2021 movie fascinates me because if you asked me to make a list of everything I want in a Mortal Kombat movie, every item on that list would be in there somewhere. It's all the other stuff in the movie that sucked so much it made me lose faith in movies.

In other words:

Perestroika posted:

The new movie did have some legitimately good bits (turning Sub-Zero into basically a horror movie villain for the first act was pretty inspired), but yeah in the end turned out to be less than the sum of its parts. Which is a shame cause they had so much raw loving martial arts talent in there. You could really tell where the execs stuck their dicks in and hosed with it ("But you gotta EXPLAIN how they have those powers!", also the entirety of Cole Young and his family). Ultimately it was just too much setup for not enough pay-off.

I really want an autopsy of that movie, I want to know exactly who thought Cole was a good idea. I want to know the rationalization for making everyone's superpowers come from the same source. I want a step-by-step analysis of where it went wrong so that someone somewhere can avoid the same pratfalls

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I feel like the 2021 movie really hated Jax for some reason.

We watch his arms get destroyed then replaced with little dinky arms that people make fun of and then Cole got Jax's moves in the form of arms that heat up (MK11) and tonfas (Jax's MK era weapons). Then you're going to tell me that Jax's super power is making his robot arms not tiny and it's not like shockwaves or shooting energy or something? C'mon, man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

The 2021 movie fascinates me because if you asked me to make a list of everything I want in a Mortal Kombat movie, every item on that list would be in there somewhere. It's all the other stuff in the movie that sucked so much it made me lose faith in movies.

In other words:

I really want an autopsy of that movie, I want to know exactly who thought Cole was a good idea. I want to know the rationalization for making everyone's superpowers come from the same source. I want a step-by-step analysis of where it went wrong so that someone somewhere can avoid the same pratfalls

It's the same problem as a lot of modern fiction where there has to be a Specific Reason for people to be able to do things, you just can't have a world where magic ninjas exist.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The only things I remember about the new MK movie were the opening 5 minutes which were cool, Kano yells about eggrolls, and the OC character fights goro in a garage.

Overall I didn’t think it was very good.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Aside from Kano and literal plot armor, I don't think I remember anything about the new MK movie. Unlike Annihilation, where every baffling decision is seared into my brain ever since I saw the movie in the cinemas as a kid. Why is there a network of giant hamster balls beneath the earth? Why is Shao Khan incapable of controlling the volume of his voice? Why is James Remar?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If I remember right, Reptiles new lizard design in MK1 seems to be same as in MK 2021.

Some one must have liked it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember our VCR failing when I rented MK:A. What mercy that was, though we did see maybe a half hour or so of it before it died.

The new movie is also complete cow dung but in a different, more modern way. I keep thinking back to Shang Tsung going "the great nitara, isn't she beautiful?" Shut the gently caress up you ridiculous excuse for a villain. The 1995 Shang is such a great villain, by any standard, even in a pure cheese movie. But of course, mainly, you have motherfucking 30 years of loving video games to draw from, why oh loving WHY create this generic new poo poo character no one could possibly care about just for the movie? Hollywood's about, what, 90% remakes and reboots currently? They coulda made this movie on autopilot and been a serviceable flick for us fans, but nope. Lets create a MK movie in name only that no one will like!

Sorry, I've been drinking

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cole Young really feels like someone at some point going "well, we need an AMERICAN to be the main character" and they didn't want it to be Sonya, Jax, or Johnny for whatever reason. Well, the reason for not using the first two is probably sexism and racism, but no idea why they couldn't have made Johnny the main character. I guess they were really committed to the Scorpion relation plot point, too.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Cole Young really feels like someone at some point going "well, we need an AMERICAN to be the main character" and they didn't want it to be Sonya, Jax, or Johnny for whatever reason. Well, the reason for not using the first two is probably sexism and racism, but no idea why they couldn't have made Johnny the main character. I guess they were really committed to the Scorpion relation plot point, too.

Scorpion is the Wolverine of MK and gets puts front line in order to increase sales.

quote:

MKX Character--Uses (in millions)--Percentage

1.Scorpion-- 526.62--11.48684167

2.Sub-Zero-- 417.04--9.096639801

3.Johnny Cage--244.81--5.339891592

4.Liu Kang-- 234.36--5.1119521

5.Raiden-- 223.55--4.876160147

6.Takeda-- 223.05--4.865253951

7.Cassie Cage--193.8--4.227241496

8.Jason-- 192.53--4.199539759

9.Jax Briggs--183.37--3.999738251

10.Kotal Khan--182.95--3.990577047

11.Kitana-- 177.54--3.872572008

12.Kung Jin-- 171.19--3.734063321

13.Mileena-- 167.58--3.655320588

14.Ermac-- 152.64--3.329443457

15.Sonya Blade--151.13--3.296506745

16.Kung Lao-- 148.7--3.243502634

17.D'vorah-- 133.32--2.908028051

18.Jacqui Briggs--110.36--2.407215539

19.Predator-- 109.75--2.39390998

20.Kenshi-- 84.37--1.840311481

21.Goro-- 83.12--1.813045991

22.Shinnok-- 80.13--1.74782694

23.Kano-- 75.62--1.649453054

24.Ferra Torr--72.4-- 1.579217153

25.Quan Chi-- 56.82--1.239380092

26.Tremor-- 52.41--1.143187445

27.Tanya-- 51.6-- 1.125519408

28.Erron Black--43-- 0.9379328396

29.Reptile-- 40.79--0.8897274542

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Reptile in the mud

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Reptile is a classic FG example of having an outsized fanbase despite never being especially popular at any point in the series. I'm surprised that Kung-Jin is somehow the 12th most popular pick.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

exquisite tea posted:

Reptile is a classic FG example of having an outsized fanbase despite never being especially popular at any point in the series. I'm surprised that Kung-Jin is somehow the 12th most popular pick.

the baiken of mortal kombat

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MK's fanbase will go to bat for every single character in a way that other fighting game fanbases don't - the SF producers aren't fielding angry tweets from Retsu fans and Harada's not being bombarded with requests for Forrest Law or whoever but I guarantee you there are thousands of people screaming BRING BACK DAIROU at Ed Boon right this second.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 2, 2023

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MK's fanbase will go to bat for every single character in a way that other fighting game fanbases don't - the SF producers aren't fielding angry tweets from Retsu fans and Harada's not being bombarded with requests for Forrest Law or whoever but I guarantee you there are thousands of people screaming BRING BACK DAIROU at Ed Boon right this second.

Oddly, speficically Dairou doesn't seem to have that kind of fan base. I was always a lot more baffled by the Sareena fan club.

exquisite tea posted:

True but don't forget the pro-players making some characters more visible, IIRC Reptile's often been a top-tier pick so he was quite visible among the more dedicated players. And among the old-timers, he's remembered fondly as the first secret NPC.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

exquisite tea posted:

Kung Jin was easy to pick up. Just dive kick into 50/50.

Reptile required a bit more nuance, and IIRC it was only his variation that had the DoT Proximity move that was really played much at higher levels.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They probs are tbh

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

I feel like if there was any MK character that didn't have a fanbase, even an ironic one, it would have to be Dairou. Everyone makes fun of Hsu Hao (and with good reason) for being the worst but that's because they remember him for being so bad. Dairou is just some nobody warrior with nothing going on. Dude looks like a generic XBox avatar.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean like, Kobra is just some guy in a karate gi.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
And Kai is just some dude with a headband

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

and Mokap is just some dude covered in balls

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Meat is just a dude made of meat.

Adbot