Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Finally figured out how to grab pics (on PC, look in Documents/My Games/Starfield/Data/Textures/Photos for your saved photo mode shots), so here's my character:

Behold, a colossal nerd who still constantly hangs out with his parents (though given the stuff they hand you at random I can't imagine who wouldn't hang around). Still barely focusing on the main quest because I just wander around; not even sidequesting, just visiting random points of interest. I will say if you have the patience to wander around doing it, completely filling out planetary surveys is worth a lot of $$$ once you unlock the Eye to sell them at; can complete basic surveys for gas giants simply by going into orbit and scanning them once too. Though upgrading the hand scanner is a good idea given how much you have to wave the drat thing around to complete an entry for all the solid planets you can't shortcut (and RNG for the rare minerals to pop up for scanning can be annoying, took forever to find an He3 deposit for Luna). You also may need to take off and land at a different region to fill out everything (it'll say something like "biome" once you've found everything you can in a particular region type, need to do another landing where it shows a different terrain to get the rest of the entries).

Also, much to my amusement I found skeletons inside a cave on Luna:

Now, most people would say that's procgen screwing up, but I prefer to think given the way those skeletons look that I have, in fact, found evidence of the activities of the whalers on the moon :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ms Adequate posted:

Alright! Follow up post:
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they initially built a proper, fully simulated solar system simulator but everyone they play tested said they hated waiting around to get to the good bits so they added all the instant travel features and now that's all anyone thinks exists.
That said, Todd said years ago that they were never going to have seamless transitions between planets and space so they certainly never got the simulator to go as far as No Man's Sky or Star Citizen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin hunted the moon buffalo to extinction :(

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Cool, thanks. Sounds like everything I wanted from it. 👍

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BigglesSWE posted:

Don’t get me wrong, the first time I went into one I was like “unga bunga?” (pretty much the same as when I tried to manoeuvre through the map ui the first time) but when it clicks it’s one of the better iterations of a gameplay loop that very rarely adds anything but annoyance.

Still installing a skyrim lockpicking mod as soon as it's available, no matter how little sense it makes :colbert:

Also while you're at it modders put in Rebel Galaxy space combat since I can't fly the ship freely anyway I can't be bothered to learn dogfighting

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Evidently you can mine asteroids by blowing them up.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Apparently there are some ships you cannot pilot until new game+. So yeah, looks like I'll be mainlining the story.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I guess the game is good enough to try after they reintroduce the $1 game pass? Or is it worth :10bux: if I want to try it for a few weeks. Usually I get bored after that so it feels like buying the whole game is a waste of money.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the game has made me realize how much bethesda's been able to coast on the lore that developed around fallout.
their "from scratch" effort with starfield is incredibly bland and interacting with npcs feels like talking to theme park employees

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
PureDark's DLSS FG mod is out. It's magic. Gone from a 1440p DLAA ultrawide 60-70fps experience on a 5950x/4090 setup to 120fps. poo poo is just perfect now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm having to put tons of Cargo Holds on my ship to hold all these resources and its making me too slow. Is there a better way to store them while retaining access for crafting/research?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm having to put tons of Cargo Holds on my ship to hold all these resources and its making me too slow. Is there a better way to store them while retaining access for crafting/research?

I'm once again recommending people just use a console command to give yourself max carry weight. The only con is you can't get achievements but it's a trade off that is worth it IMO.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Put more engines on your ship.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

netizen posted:

Here's the question for the ages: will more people be playing starfield 10 years from now or BG3?

More people will be playing Starfield, more people will be posting and having forum meltdowns abt BG3

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

The Lone Badger posted:

I feel like you're supposed to put an outpost down somewhere as a home base and dump your resources and crafting stations there. Haven't figured out where I would want to do that though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there no way to have a base where you can easily enough just to store all the crap, instead of your ship?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

fuckpot posted:

PureDark's DLSS FG mod is out. It's magic. Gone from a 1440p DLAA ultrawide 60-70fps experience on a 5950x/4090 setup to 120fps. poo poo is just perfect now.

Yeah dlss mod is a must install for any nvidia gpu player. Huge difference.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mehrunes posted:

Put more engines on your ship.

That needs more power, and I can only install one reactor.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

shrike82 posted:

the game has made me realize how much bethesda's been able to coast on the lore that developed around fallout.
their "from scratch" effort with starfield is incredibly bland and interacting with npcs feels like talking to theme park employees

This is definitely a Bethesda game, took one false start of ten or so levels to figure out the limitations...restarted with an attitude adjustment and this is very enjoyable when I got with what they've aimed for.

As someone who's knee deep in modding skyrim to poo poo, the one gripe I have is with the animations, which tend to look goofy as gently caress at times, especially running without a space suit and with basic speed. Also facial animations outside conversations make people look spooked and doll like, reminiscent of CP2077.

Bethesda games' writing, characters etc. don't make me feel stuff. Which is good when I don't want to deal with feeling stuff and just explore/murder/build poo poo. Which probably explains the hours I've racked up in them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hamelekim posted:

Apparently there are some ships you cannot pilot until new game+. So yeah, looks like I'll be mainlining the story.

wtf

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Andarphon in the Narion system is a decent spot for a first outpost as it has the iron and aluminium to build poo poo and the helium to power it, not the best looking spot but pretty enough to be my mining outpost for now

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Zlodo posted:

I've noticed that when people really have fun in a game they don't say "I'm having fun", instead they recount various fun anecdotes that happened to them in the game

if all you can muster is "i'm having fun" it means it's a mediocre game where nothing stands out

What a load of poo poo lol. Are you suggesting people are just pretending to have fun? To what end? The thread is being quite negative, so the comments make sense.

The game is fine, certainly not GOTY material though in another year it might've been, but I can definitely see why people are having fun (I'm not that far in but I had a blast fighting in zero g)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Starfield’s bad UI would have to do a hell of a lot of work to beat “bad UI x4 party members, also go through seven stations of the cross every time you want to change up your party comp”.

Also I give Bethesda credit for spinning up a new incomprehensible ui, whereas Larian’s UI team seem to have put in maybe 12-20 hours of design iteration into the 5 or so years BG3 was in development. I’m generally loathe to question the actual competence of developers, but the most charitable scenario I can imagine to explain the UX of that game is that Larian’s team is mostly or entirely stocked with Flemish politicians’ least promising nephews and nieces.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 2, 2023

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, should the game be unpacking for me on steam if I only bought the standard version?

It downloaded a few days ago but started unpacking on the first.

Is it just not going to let me start it up until the 6th? Just seems a bit weird that it would unpack early.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Starfield’s bad UI would have to do a hell of a lot of work to beat “bad UI x5 party members, also go through seven stations of the cross every time you want to change up your party comp”.

Also I give Bethesda credit for spinning up a new incomprehensible ui, whereas Larian’s UI team seem to have put in maybe 12-20 hours of design iteration into the 5 or so years BG3 was in development. I’m generally loathe to question the actual competence of developers, but the most charitable scenario I can imagine to explain the UX of that game is that Larian’s team is mostly or entirely stocked with Flemish politicians’ least promising nephews and nieces.

I feel like their engine is really loving them over. Trying to do all the poo poo it does along with cramming fully functional multiplayer in has to be a tire fire of coding. That's the only cope I can come up with

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Basic Chunnel posted:

More people will be playing Starfield, more people will be posting and having forum meltdowns abt BG3

Sorry, the real answer is that nobody is going to be talking about BG3 in ten years.

They'll talk about it the way that all nerds currently talk about all the classic CRPG's. "Wasn't it cool when RPG's had choices & consequences?"

Maybe I'll point my cursor over here and cast fireball *pew* *pew*

nerd poo poo.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I really like how you can fast travel anywhere. Respecting my time.

What I don't like as much are the 3-5 POIs spawning wherever I land. Makes it seem perhaps a tad too themeparkey, could've added probes and scanning!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't think its the engine. I think its their insistence to make this for console first, PC 2nd

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

BigglesSWE posted:

This is the first game with lock picking where I’m not instantly annoyed by it. It is strangely satisfying to Tetris my way through these locks in my own time.

This is my favorite Bethesda lockpicking mechanism. I even like doing it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't think its the engine. I think its their insistence to make this for console first, PC 2nd

I think the post you’re referencing is putting BG3’s poor UI on engine limitations, not Starfield’s. And it’s a well taken point, though I’d just as soon believe that Larian really thinks the UI is unassailably good, or even that UI is an unimportant, extraneous element of design and that one is as good as any other.

With Bethesda, yeah, it’s pretty clearly the case that they’re designing for controllers and across-the-room big screens. They try to go for a clean, modern visual design and just can’t with the amount of cruft there is to account for.

Still, if push comes to shove I’ll go for buttons-only navigation over click-drag / right-click inventory interaction every time.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 2, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The UI for controller users on Baldur's Gate 3 is even worse than m/kb. It really is shocking how poor and unwieldy it is. But that's pretty much the only major flaw it has, and maybe it'll get overhauled at some point.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

netizen posted:

Sorry, the real answer is that nobody is going to be talking about BG3 in ten years.

They'll talk about it the way that all nerds currently talk about all the classic CRPG's. "Wasn't it cool when RPG's had choices & consequences?"

Maybe I'll point my cursor over here and cast fireball *pew* *pew*

nerd poo poo.

Most of the discourse I’ve seen around BG3 is about how horny it is and needing to patch a thing where characters might be too short to kiss properly.

One for the turbo-gonks. Starfield is for the real top shaggers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So the general vibe I'm getting around the game is, while this game is probably not gonna break the top 3 of best games this year with the likes of bg3/tears/ac6/whatever your preference, if I like bethesda games I'd probably like this, but it's showing it's age with old bethesda practices left unchanged which would turn off people not already a fan and it would probably be best to just wait 5 years before playing this when the mod community has done a once-over with improving all that needs improving and in the meantime just heavily mod skyrim/fallout4 while those games are in a great place for new mods lately or play BG3 for a better RPG experience.

That feel about right?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah. Its a beth game, through and through. I think its still fun and mods will make it great, but the mechanics, the engine, and their school of design are really starting to show their age (imo).

Not to mention all the bugs. I still am crashing like nuts, every time I'm in a menu its like a 30% chance to crash

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sandepande posted:

What I don't like as much are the 3-5 POIs spawning wherever I land. Makes it seem perhaps a tad too themeparkey, could've added probes and scanning!

I would greatly prefer that some planets, perhaps the ones that are far away from the settled systems, would be just completely empty.

But it seems that every planet and moon in the entire game will always spawn about 5 POI's wherever you land. I think it's a bit weird, but it does mean you will never run out content, I guess.

I seem to be mostly ignoring them though, I mostly land to take some pictures and to absorb the mood.

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah. Its a beth game, through and through. I think its still fun and mods will make it great, but the mechanics, the engine, and their school of design are really starting to show their age (imo).

Not to mention all the bugs. I still am crashing like nuts, every time I'm in a menu its like a 30% chance to crash

I'm on the XSX and I had a single crash in 14 hours of playtime. This crash also happened within the first 30 minutes so that was a big YIKES moment. But everything turned out fine, not a single bug yet (if you don't count that one npc falling from the sky).

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 2, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

That's another point I left unmentioned, in 5+ years the official and unofficial patches would probably clear up most of the crashes and there would probably be some futuristic computer hardware that would do wonders for running the game and making it look shiny.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Splorange posted:

This is definitely a Bethesda game...

Not replying to this poster directly but this is in every other post and it's frustrating as a justification because all the lead-in from Bethesda was about how this was their brand new "from scratch" rethink of their formula.

I'm glad that it still seems to have excellent worldbuilding and varied quests as their games are known for but given the dev time and budget I think it's fair for people to be massively disappointed here.

They even replaced elements everyone loved (on foot exploration/discovery) with middling mandatory fast travel. I get that space would be boring to traverse realistically but nobody's asking for that.

Making space travel fun is a solved problem that many games have nailed over the last two decades and they could've borrowed from any of them.

My guess here is that they got so tied up with accomplishing box quote pillars (See that moon? You can GO there! Anywhere on the surface! YES you can board ships! YES you can do space battles!) that they ran out of time to meaningfully smush them into the base game in a way that performance would allow, let alone produce sufficient content for them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I also get the vibe that due to bethesda engine jank that they couldn't get a good feeling vehicle so that's why you got to walk across the entirety of planets on foot with a fallout4 mech jetpack, vehicles feel like a big part of space and planet exploration games.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
After putting in a bunch more hours today, feeling much more charitable towards the game. There's more than enough time wasting bs, and some puzzling decisions, but there are some great moments too. I've always been a fan of extremely large open worlds, even janky ones that don't have a ton of density in terms of things to do. But there's an addictive gameplay loop here and an insane amount of content. I haven't even started upgrading my ship yet and I've probably played ten or twelve hours. Seeing different planets and doing things on them is fun

Play fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Aaaand (late main story quest) here's Schrödinger's trolley problem, lol

Got a good laugh out of me when I realized what was happening. Cool leveldesign aswell.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 2, 2023