Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

They did.

However, because you're casting the adventure:

And when you do that:

It's dumb, but it's not Haktos dumb.

I mean you say that, but it's clearly not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AngryBooch posted:

I mean you say that, but it's clearly not the case.

It is though.
You're being tripped up by the fact that it's bomecrusher giant until the very last moment when we ask "can I cast stomp"

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

It is though.
You're being tripped up by the fact that it's bomecrusher giant until the very last moment when we ask "can I cast stomp"

I'm not being tripped up, I understand the rule. I think it's bad and should be changed by WotC.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I pulled a blood moon in my prerelease kit and thought of Hoot

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

And you didn’t actually hoot. Fail.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

AlternateNu posted:

God. WotS was four years ago. :psyduck:

Sets will be released until morale improves.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe they used all their budget for the year on the DMU/ONE/MOM trailers, gotta be thrifty for the next couple

The trailer for MOM was terrible though, and definitely showed signs of them already cheaping out on the animation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what? you sure you don't mean a different trailer? because the march of the machines trailer rules. the only bad part imo is how terribly goofy karn's doofus face is in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CvkMPoUNaA&hd=1

like it doesn't have a TON in it, sure, but it's by no means bad at all. and the trailers for crimson vow and midnight hunt are phenomenal, and dominaria united's is also great. hell, even the brother's war's trailer is great even if it's only between two characters.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

big cummers ONLY posted:

Did you play it?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

HootTheOwl posted:

Did you play it?

No, senpai. I do think it looks good, though :(

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
WOE trailer: perfectly fine, though I actually prefer most of the clips they've used in their "intersperse the paper-animation and arena gameplay clips" ads I've seen that a lot of them have larger versions in.

Lier-Adventure interaction: actually how I would've expected things to work so they shouldn't change it on that basis.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Captain Invictus posted:

what? you sure you don't mean a different trailer? because the march of the machines trailer rules. the only bad part imo is how terribly goofy karn's doofus face is in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CvkMPoUNaA&hd=1

like it doesn't have a TON in it, sure, but it's by no means bad at all. and the trailers for crimson vow and midnight hunt are phenomenal, and dominaria united's is also great. hell, even the brother's war's trailer is great even if it's only between two characters.

You're right, the MOM trailer is sufficiently slick. What dragged down my estimation and recollection of it is that it isn't nearly effective narratively as the trailers for DMU, ONE, or even the other sets you mentioned. Barely a glimpse of the carnage the multiverse invasion supposedly enacts, wastes an opportunity to showcase the other praetors by focusing on Norn (again), and the Phyrexian grunts we see are pretty boring. Nu Elspeth showing up is neat but could easily be some unused previs from any given MCU outing.

So in a vacuum it would just be average but comparatively still lackluster IMO. YMMV.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

reignonyourparade posted:

WOE trailer: perfectly fine, though I actually prefer most of the clips they've used in their "intersperse the paper-animation and arena gameplay clips" ads I've seen that a lot of them have larger versions in.

Lier-Adventure interaction: actually how I would've expected things to work so they shouldn't change it on that basis.

The unintuitive part is that Lier works, but Past in Flames doesn't.

e: The issue gets worse because Adventures look more like split cards (which work with both ways to grant flashback), but they function like double faced cards (which work with Lier but not Past).

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 2, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MDFCs work with PiF if the front side is an instant or sorcery

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would have assumed that Lier would work with adventures, but I don't understand the difference with Past in Flames that makes that one not work

Edit: oh is it because Past in Flames grants abilities to specific cards but doesn't see the adventure on a creature card, whereas Lier's ability is a static effect

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 2, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would have assumed that Lier would work with adventures, but I don't understand the difference with Past in Flames that makes that one not work

The difference is Lier is a continuous ability and Past in Flames is a one-time-effect.
So when you check if you can cast with Lier you apply the continuous effect.
This never happens with Past in Flames because the effect was already applied to the instants and sorceries, so when you try and cast you don't have flashback because there's no effect to apply.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mat Cauthon posted:

You're right, the MOM trailer is sufficiently slick. What dragged down my estimation and recollection of it is that it isn't nearly effective narratively as the trailers for DMU, ONE, or even the other sets you mentioned. Barely a glimpse of the carnage the multiverse invasion supposedly enacts, wastes an opportunity to showcase the other praetors by focusing on Norn (again), and the Phyrexian grunts we see are pretty boring. Nu Elspeth showing up is neat but could easily be some unused previs from any given MCU outing.

So in a vacuum it would just be average but comparatively still lackluster IMO. YMMV.
oh of course, everything surrounding the phyrexian invasion main sets was a total , nobody will argue that. but I was more saying that it gets a few beats of the story in and looks great, the budget was still definitely there. I don't think it would be possible for them to properly encompass something like the multiversal invasion much more than they did, the cinematic team was basically given a losing hand from the get go.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The difference is Lier is a continuous ability and Past in Flames is a one-time-effect.
So when you check if you can cast with Lier you apply the continuous effect.

Oh, I see so Lier doesn't "see" the Adventure either until you start the action to cast the spell, and when it starts that process the card is still in the graveyard and Lier's ability then automatically applies?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh, I see so Lier doesn't "see" the Adventure either until you start the action to cast the spell, and when it starts that process the card is still in the graveyard and Lier's ability then automatically applies?

Right. Before you even move it to the stack you have to check if it's legal and when you do you use only the adventure's characteristics. And when you do that you also apply continuous effects.
The rules are all quoted in the last page.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Lier being able to endlessly loop adventures is gonna be a problem in Standard, calling it now

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
MOM trailer is dragged down by the being a strictly inferior version of the scars of mirrodin trailer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I wanted to see what the oldest trailer they had was and wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=190mbXY4En0

what a time capsule

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Froghammer posted:

Lier being able to endlessly loop adventures is gonna be a problem in Standard, calling it now

idk, do you really think assembling a fragile engine to slowly recur certain adventures is better than just casting a Sheoldred?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Went to my first paper pre-release in over a year and played round one against the guy with turn 2 bitterblossom two games in a row

Edit: I went 2-1 and he went 1-2 despite me seeing 5 on color rares in his deck

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wanted to see what the oldest trailer they had was and wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=190mbXY4En0

what a time capsule

you're forgetting this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwIPwi_FSVc

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Went to my first paper pre-release in over a year and played round one against the guy with turn 2 bitterblossom two games in a row

this guy sounds like a cheating loser. prerelease should be free from such racketeers

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The 4 mana 4/4 Flyer that makes a treasure every time it attacks, with a drat adventure stapled on, is Dream Trawler level painful. Not quite as oppressive really, but geez.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Slightly older
https://youtu.be/KN0zxVkTH6A?si=HAPWyDX_vDzIDbWZ

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

magic the gathering owns

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was so scared for him when the minotaurs showed up

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

The 4 mana 4/4 Flyer that makes a treasure every time it attacks, with a drat adventure stapled on, is Dream Trawler level painful. Not quite as oppressive really, but geez.

Simply grab it for turn with Eriette's tempting apple and then use the treasure from attacking to give it double strike with the adventure side of two-headed-hunter, that's what worked for me :v:

(Actually I ended up losing that game anyway when my opponent got down Phyrexian Unlife at the exact right moment but still, it was a pretty sweet move.)

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Mezzanon posted:

There was a guy in the prerelease at my store that pulled 2 Raid Bombardments. Thought that was kinda nuts, at least until I saw someone else building their deck with Beseech the Mirror, Dark Tutelage, and Necropotence. Absolutely nutty pulls (which makes me sad that my prerelease pack was garbo). At least I was able to get a storybook Sneak Attack though, and grabbed a few of the art cards from the cases I opened for the store I work at as well, because a lot of the art in the set absolutely owns.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Somberbrero posted:

It's just a worse Goldspan Dragon

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Silhouette posted:

It's just a worse Goldspan Dragon

:yeah: Doesn't even have haste.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
My pool was meh but I made a good rats deck. 3-2-1. All of my losses were totally my own gently caress ups, first paper I’ve played in awhile and I definitely boned up. Could have turned the draw into a win if I hadn’t moved so slow. Oh well, good lessons.

Those rare man lands seem bomby.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

I'm not being tripped up, I understand the rule. I think it's bad and should be changed by WotC.

What would you change it to? Is it also unreasonable that t3feri's +1 can let you cast an adventure sorcery at instant speed?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Went to a paper prerelease for WOE and wow it feels like playing paper is so much more difficult than digital. Keeping track of what plays there are available to me felt so much harder, and 50 minutes to build a deck was what I thought would be too long for me these days ended up being like right around the right amount of time.

Went 2-1 with a sick UR spells deck though, the 2/4 uncommon that makes a sorcerer role whenever you play an instant or sorcery is nuts

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Kashuno posted:

Went to a paper prerelease for WOE and wow it feels like playing paper is so much more difficult than digital. Keeping track of what plays there are available to me felt so much harder, and 50 minutes to build a deck was what I thought would be too long for me these days ended up being like right around the right amount of time.

Went 2-1 with a sick UR spells deck though, the 2/4 uncommon that makes a sorcerer role whenever you play an instant or sorcery is nuts

Were there enough role tokens to go around, given that a color pair tends to make multiple of the same type (black giving out wicked roles for example). Any hints for making tracking easier?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

TacoNight posted:

Were there enough role tokens to go around, given that a color pair tends to make multiple of the same type (black giving out wicked roles for example). Any hints for making tracking easier?

each prerelease pack has a couple of the role token cards in the pack with your promo so you're at least always guaranteed to have one of each type no matter what :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My prerelease pool was miserable, blue and black were great and deep spell package but like 6 creatures between the two.

Threw together fast gruul good stuff to salvage two wins.

Prize support made up for it with two Primal Vigors, Bitterblossom, Anime Defense of the Heart and Moonshaker.