Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

drat, I miss when Harley Quinn was just Mr. J's hype woman. Everything in that scene. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Phone, misread.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

And edit isn't quote.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also there's this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMd4S-LkywI

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

“Amazing Grace on kazoo” is easily in the top three for BTAS’ overall greatest jokes. :allears:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bogus Adventure posted:

drat, I miss when Harley Quinn was just Mr. J's hype woman. Everything in that scene. :discourse:

Same. A lot of those earlier episodes played them as...oddly, but legitimately affectionate. Hell, it did it for ALL of the villains. It created a weird, but believable feel of community amongst them kind of similar to what was done with Flash's rougues gallery.

I definitely feel the later episodes/seasons started going a little too much on the darker and grittier/edgier than was needed and tended to kind of contradict earlier characterizations. That and the whole Barbara x Bruce thing as well as rebranding Jason Todd as Tim Drake which felt unnecessary.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Klungar posted:

Splinter learns martial arts from TV/YouTube

As someone who grew up on the 87 cartoon losing Hamato Yoshi was a bit of a blow but Mutant Mayhem is so focused on the family relationship that adding ninja backstory would just bloat it unnecessarily.

That said the post credits scene sets up Shredder for the sequel and I feel he's a weaker villain without the personal connection to Splinter.

Given Supafly said he inherited Stockman's scientific mind I guess there's space for a retcon where Splinter was Yoshi's pet rat (which he kept secret from the boys due to his distrust of humans) and inherited his ninja skills when he mutated. Shredder comes on the scene, fights Splinter and recognises the fighting style of the man he thought he killed. I'll take my No-Prize in the post, thanks.

Oh yeah and with Shredder on the scene does that mean Bebop and Rocksteady are going heel-face-heel? And the design of Cynthia Utrom was supposed to evoke Krang, right?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Party Boat posted:

And the design of Cynthia Utrom was supposed to evoke Krang, right?

Seeing as Utrom is the name of the brain creature species, yes, I think it’s safe to say she’s Krang

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh duh, haha. Apparently I'm better at recognising subtext than text.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

doomrider7 posted:

Same. A lot of those earlier episodes played them as...oddly, but legitimately affectionate. Hell, it did it for ALL of the villains. It created a weird, but believable feel of community amongst them kind of similar to what was done with Flash's rougues gallery.

I definitely feel the later episodes/seasons started going a little too much on the darker and grittier/edgier than was needed and tended to kind of contradict earlier characterizations. That and the whole Barbara x Bruce thing as well as rebranding Jason Todd as Tim Drake which felt unnecessary.

iirc it was mention Jason got the renamed because the writers still thought batfans hated him, and yeah it's clear Barbara/Bruce was Bruce Timm's pet ship and I do wish he kept it to himself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

doomrider7 posted:

I love the cartoon Flash clip with the Trickster, where he just finds him in a bar ranting about not being included in the big schemes and he's just like "Dude, you've stopped taking your meds again, haven't you?" "I take them when I'm feeling down..." "That's not how that works and you know it. You're wearing the costume again." "Oh... I guess I am..." and he just willingly goes back to the asylum to resume his treatment with Barry promising his visit him to play foam darts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muU6boslNcA

Had the same vibe as in Harley's Holiday where Batman recognises that the escalation wasn't deliberate on her part, and gives her the dress she bought as a gift. :3:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 2, 2023

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BioEnchanted posted:

I love the cartoon Flash clip with the Trickster, where he just finds him in a bar ranting about not being included in the big schemes and he's just like "Dude, you've stopped taking your meds again, haven't you?" "I take them when I'm feeling down..." "That's not how that works and you know it. You're wearing the costume again." "Oh... I guess I am..." and he just willingly goes back to the asylum to resume his treatment with Barry promising his visit him to play foam darts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muU6boslNcA

Had the same vibe as in Harley's Holiday where Batman recognises that the escalation wasn't deliberate on her part, and gives her the dress she bought as a gift. :3:

Yeah I love that scene (though I thought the flash in JLU is Wally, not Barry) - it gives an idea of how the Flash as a character and how different Central City's rogues are from Gotham or Metropolis - they're either guys just doing it as a job, or in Trickster's case, he's just unwell.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Party Boat posted:

As someone who grew up on the 87 cartoon losing Hamato Yoshi was a bit of a blow but Mutant Mayhem is so focused on the family relationship that adding ninja backstory would just bloat it unnecessarily.

That said the post credits scene sets up Shredder for the sequel and I feel he's a weaker villain without the personal connection to Splinter.

Given Supafly said he inherited Stockman's scientific mind I guess there's space for a retcon where Splinter was Yoshi's pet rat (which he kept secret from the boys due to his distrust of humans) and inherited his ninja skills when he mutated. Shredder comes on the scene, fights Splinter and recognises the fighting style of the man he thought he killed. I'll take my No-Prize in the post, thanks.

Oh yeah and with Shredder on the scene does that mean Bebop and Rocksteady are going heel-face-heel? And the design of Cynthia Utrom was supposed to evoke Krang, right?

I mean we've still got a full series and a sequel coming eventually (assuming Paramount doesn't strangle it in the cradle) so it's possible they could still bring Yoshi into the plot somehow

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 2, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah I love that scene (though I thought the flash in JLU is Wally, not Barry) - it gives an idea of how the Flash as a character and how different Central City's rogues are from Gotham or Metropolis - they're either guys just doing it as a job, or in Trickster's case, he's just unwell.

Similar thing as the Jason/Tim thing in that it IS Wally, but he has Barry's job and backstory of his powers. Not sure about personality since it's been a long while since I read the comics. Flash's rogues just hit different since their whole angle is that they're an actually organized union of sorts with Captain Cold as the Union Boss. They're also very pragmatic in how they work which made them really interesting to watch/read.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Another cool part about this scene is that Trickster is voiced by Mark Hamill. He played the character in the 90’s live-action Flash TV show, and has reprised the role for the recent version of the show as well.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah, I agree. They made Batman darker in The New Batman/Superman Adventures, more severe and less empathetic. I think JL/JLU tried to walk that back, especially his moments with Ace. But making him less empathetic took away some of the magic that BTAS started out with.

And agreed with the Jason Todd rebranding. When I found out Robin was Tim Drake I was stoked since Tim is my favorite of the Robins. He was nerd kid superhero, and that was who I wanted to be. I was bummed when I found out his origin. I still like DCAU Tim, though. Maybe even more than I should because his voice sounded a bit like Charlie Brown, lol.

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 2, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Another cool part about this scene is that Trickster is voiced by Mark Hamill. He played the character in the 90’s live-action Flash TV show, and has reprised the role for the recent version of the show as well.

Mark Hamill is the GOAT

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, I agree. They made Batman darker in The New Batman/Superman Adventures, more severe and less empathetic. I think JL/JLU tried to walk that back, especially his moments with Ace. But making him less empathetic took away some of the magic that TBAS started out with.

And agreed with the Jason Todd rebranding. When I found out Robin was Tim Drake I was stoked since Tim is my favorite of the Robins. He was nerd kid superhero, and that was who I wanted to be. I was bummed when I found out his origin. I still like DCAU Tim, though. Maybe even more than I should because his voice sounded a bit like Charlie Brown, lol.

I do like DCAU Tim, admittedly to the point of being rather upset with Return of the Joker, which I did like for how Terry basically *broke* Joker by being himself, instead of being Bruce.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

I do like DCAU Tim, admittedly to the point of being rather upset with Return of the Joker, which I did like for how Terry basically *broke* Joker by being himself, instead of being Bruce.

:same: He was someone who was excited to put on the cape and cowl and help people, and his Clayface episode is awesome. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch Return of the Joker, and it's one of the reasons I try to memory-hole Batman Beyond. That show is a mixed bag of great and gross ideas.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bogus Adventure posted:

Mark Hamill is the GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:perfect:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

quote:

Stuff about New BTAS, Bats Beyond, and some JLTAS

Oh Thank God. So I wasn't the only one who had these criticisms. I didn't read the comics back in those days because of how confusing it all was and had no idea where to start so it was weird when I read about Tim Drake and saw how insanely different he was in the comics and read about Jason Todd and realized that they swapped them around. Same thing with Nightwing where TAS makes him more akin to Batman, but younger where the comics make it abundantly clear that he is NOTHING like Batman and that's the point since Bruce explicitly raised him to be in a better mental place. Huge shame since I think they wasted some opportunities to do those things and build up to the idea of "The Bat Family" and how it impacted Bruce and pushing him into a better mental place(if this goes sour, there were better ways to do this than what they ultimately went with). This also extends to how they changed some stuff about some of Batman's rogues gallery(and not just the designs).

What Bogus Adventure said.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

doomrider7 posted:

"The Bat Family"

I think there’s some excellent storytelling that could be made from the Bat Family concept these days.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

I think there’s some excellent storytelling that could be made from the Bat Family concept these days.

I love Tim and Steph :kimchi:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bogus Adventure posted:

I love Tim and Steph :kimchi:

Same. I still feel some type of way about how their relationship has been handled throughout the years.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The word you're looking for, since about this date in 2004, is "poorly."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

Same. I still feel some type of way about how their relationship has been handled throughout the years.

Inkspot posted:

The word you're looking for, since about this date in 2004, is "poorly."

They got done dirty in the whole War Games comic arc. I'm just glad Steph is back.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I am absolutely fine with Tim being bi, like hell it felt like during his YJ to Countdown that he seem to harbor a small crush on Kon - but poor Steph got so loving screwed by various writers over the years.

Wayne Family Adventures is pretty good with the Batfamily though the dialogue can be a bit "Get A Good Grade In Therapy" at times.

I actually do love Batman Beyond and sad how the comics decided to just loving bring in Terry to just kill him in a way that makes it ultimately meaningless.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BTAS does have an overall theme that Bruce is a broken person, which runs through the entire DCAU to Batman Beyond, which has him end up alone and unhappy- though still not bad to actually get to know, as Terry helps him get out of his shell a bit. Thing is, still also a theme that he's usually an actively positive influence on those around him, sometimes even his enemies, because he's aware of that and wants better things for people, so they can hopefully end up better than he has.

The_Doctor posted:

I love Batman's expression like he's just walked in and suddenly realised he's actually made a family.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I love whenever bruce wayne/batman is presented as a complete mess of a person but ultimately still a good guy who people like because while he's got Issues he's still a genuinely good person beneath his mountain of trauma and still wants to help people beyond BIFF-POW-ing thugs in alleys or outsmarting sociopaths while they try to dunk him in acid

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Robindaybird posted:

I am absolutely fine with Tim being bi, like hell it felt like during his YJ to Countdown that he seem to harbor a small crush on Kon - but poor Steph got so loving screwed by various writers over the years.

Wayne Family Adventures is pretty good with the Batfamily though the dialogue can be a bit "Get A Good Grade In Therapy" at times.

I actually do love Batman Beyond and sad how the comics decided to just loving bring in Terry to just kill him in a way that makes it ultimately meaningless.

Yeah him being is fine, but the way they handled it...left a GREAT DEAL to be desired. The fact that Bernard is incredibly boring also doesn't help. Why they retconned the guy who had weird crush on his(Tim) step-mom to be his bi-crush instead of Connor is beyond.

I loved Beyond, but it's been tempered in the last few years mostly seeing how the characters are in the comics vs the series. It's a continuation of the stuff about the later BTAS seasons and what Bogus Adventure said. It especially stings since fixing a lot of those issues would incredibly easy(just use the original Jason Todd, make Nightwing act like Nightwing, sure give Bruce more strictness and sterness but temper it with him still having a soft spot for his family and having his moments of levity, NO BRUCE X BARBARA, and just say no to the most of the redesigns).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, to be clear I'm not talking about Tim being bi. I'm talking more about how they both got treated in the comics (Tim getting stripped of being Robin, Steph replacing him and getting summarily "fired," and then Steph getting tortured by Black Mask). Steph definitely deserved better.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Tim's obsession over bringing Connor back was, at the very least, the start of his coming out, if not the abject confirmation of it.

Steph (and Cass... and, let's face it, even Barbara) has been in turmoil since the New 52 at least. This is not the thread to re-re-re-re-reiterate this argument, but 15 years and a mountain of inscrutable continuity later is a bit too late to produce less than twenty issues of a book that might have been a premiere title if it weren't sold so long after the fact.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Comics have been awful and addicted to edgy poo poo for 30 years now, all the best stuff comes from the adaptations that smooth out the jank and pick out what works and discard what doesn't.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Is this robin the same Stephanie from the infamous "Stephanie Brown, Your vagina is haunted!" comic?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

BioEnchanted posted:

Is this robin the same Stephanie from the infamous "Stephanie Brown, Your vagina is haunted!" comic?

That was Samantha Brown, and from the indie comic Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose, which is completely bugfuck insane.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 3, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wow

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

why was Washington's battle suit made of wood

they had metal and the ability to work it in the 18th century

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like that it has those little hatches in the wood panels, which I presume are proto-Liefeld-pouches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Party Boat posted:

why was Washington's battle suit made of wood

they had metal and the ability to work it in the 18th century
there is metal which is worked right there on the wood