Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Me in the red balkan zone: "i am protected"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Czechia, I have questions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Poland, you can’t say that.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

For some odd reason I’ve heard it as „Habt ihr nur Pfannkuchen zuhause?“ ”Do you have only pancakes at home [instead of doors]?“

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Poland, you can’t say that.
Never heard that expression
Usually I hear stuff like 'were you born/raised in a barn'.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Czechia, I have questions.

"Do you have a slave who will close the door behind you?"

It came up itt some time ago with a different map that chose to use the other applicable saying - "Do you have a pole sticking out of your rear end?"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I guess the idea is to call the person an old timey rich person, which is a bad thing. So you're basically calling them a slave owning rear end in a top hat for being a non door closing rear end in a top hat.

Also, at least in Copenhagen, the Danish is born in a train.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Worth noting that at least for the US, the only one I know about, this is already kinda inaccurate because the US has 4 categories instead of 3, and the map was creative about interpreting those. The actual "please just do not go there" advisory countries are mainly active warzones, failed states, and nations just generally hostile to Americans.

You can just check the actual specific advisories explained on the government's website. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

I’m dangerous Monaco. Might get bit by an F1 while crossing the road, I guess.

I’m also the safe Fergana valley, but simultaneously the unsafe Spain.

Travel advisories are dumb and country-level ones are worse-than-uselessly bad, is i guess what I am getting at.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

I guess the idea is to call the person an old timey rich person, which is a bad thing. So you're basically calling them a slave owning rear end in a top hat for being a non door closing rear end in a top hat.

Also, at least in Copenhagen, the Danish is born in a train.
"Were you born in a [Copenhagen-specific train]" is unsurprisingly not a pan-Danish saying.

Platystemon posted:

Why does China think that Brazil is safe?

Why does Germany think that Sweden is unsafe?
30 Years' War.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Were you born in a [Copenhagen-specific train]" is unsurprisingly not a pan-Danish saying.

It's hardly Copenhagen specific, they go to Køge and Hillerød and such... Also I figured maybe other places just said "train" instead of S-train

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

It's hardly Copenhagen specific, they go to Køge and Hillerød and such... Also I figured maybe other places just said "train" instead of S-train
Those are also Copenhagen.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Those are also Copenhagen.

Anything above 2799 is Jylland, sorry. And a lot of that 26 is iffy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Born in a barn is a perfectly normal british saying as well...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Born in a barn is a perfectly normal british saying as well...

Thanks, NHS!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Platystemon posted:

Why does China think that Brazil is safe?

Why does Germany think that Sweden is unsafe?

I checked the German website. And the map is lazy, as usual.

Neither Sweden nor the US are on the travel warning list. Looking for the country directly gives me a specific travel warning for Stockholm due to unusual amount of Terrorism and for some parts of the US due to being on fire.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

mmkay posted:

Never heard that expression
Usually I hear stuff like 'were you born/raised in a barn'.

Never heard it either.

For me it was
"A drzwi to koza/krowa zjadła?"
"Did a goat/cow eat the door?"
depending on which grandmother said that, or "DOOR!" if it was the grandfather

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Honj Steak posted:

For some odd reason I’ve heard it as „Habt ihr nur Pfannkuchen zuhause?“ ”Do you have only pancakes at home [instead of doors]?“

This rules

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
… I should make some Pfannkuchen.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

alnilam posted:

The stereotypical new yorker accent is actually very dutch-influenced.

Do you have any evidence? This is the first time I hear this, and the NY accent to me sounds more influenced by Yiddish and Italian.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Do you have any evidence? This is the first time I hear this, and the NY accent to me sounds more influenced by Yiddish and Italian.

Yeah I did some reading on the linguistics of the NY accent and I don't think that's true.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Polders are essentialy what happens when you say EY IM WALKIN ERE at the sea.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

The Dutch say 'Were you born in a church?'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Early 60s prediction of Africa in the year 2000.

Very confident about the abilities of Portuguese colonial administration. (Not too bad a prediction of what ECOWAS was aiming towards until recent events though.)

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Worth noting that at least for the US, the only one I know about, this is already kinda inaccurate because the US has 4 categories instead of 3, and the map was creative about interpreting those. The actual "please just do not go there" advisory countries are mainly active warzones, failed states, and nations just generally hostile to Americans.

You can just check the actual specific advisories explained on the government's website. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

I like to think that "countries that are not recommended" is just the government telling you their travel advisor rating.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
The use of the word ‘boss’ is a Dutch thing and is used extensively in NYC.

‘Stoop’ for the stairs in front of a building.

Isn’t Dollar from Dutch too?

It’s probably really old but I can def see a Dutch influence. Maybe our vowels come from Dutch too?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Dollar's Czech, actually, and came to America by way of Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dollar posted:

In the 16th century, Count Hieronymus Schlick of Bohemia began minting a silver coin known as a Joachimsthaler (from German thal, modern spelling Tal, "valley", cognate with "dale" in English), named for Joachimsthal, the valley in the Ore Mountains where the silver was mined.[7] Joachimsthaler was later shortened to thaler or taler, a word that eventually found its way into many European languages including the Spanish tálero and English as dollar.[7]

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

SlothfulCobra posted:

The American tourist who decides to follow the state department's advice and goes on holiday to Angola instead of Denmark is probably going to be surprised.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Blut posted:

The American tourist who decides to follow the state department's advice and goes on holiday to Angola instead of Denmark is probably going to be surprised.

To be fair, we did have a gang member who was shot in the street the other day. Certainly not something an American could handle being close to.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Very confident about the abilities of Portuguese colonial administration. (Not too bad a prediction of what ECOWAS was aiming towards until recent events though.)

I guess predictions are hard, although it’s not when very good for ECOWAS, it looks more like it is just predicting that Nigeria gets drawn into Francafrique for some reason, and Gambia and the other tiny non-Francophone countries getting absorbed. They missed so many things that happened immediately after with massive presaging like Sidi Ifni that I’m also guessing the map wasn’t drawn by a team of experts on each.

Is there anything it did get notably correct besides Algerian independence, which would not have taken a genius to guess by 1961?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 2, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut posted:

lol Spanish Sahara

lol South Africa

Want to see what’s united with Egypt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Syria, which was one of the things they got right for the time (but not for long).

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Youremother posted:

Dollar's Czech, actually, and came to America by way of Spain.

It's German, not Slave.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Platystemon posted:

Want to see what’s united with Egypt.

Syria, in this case, although the name outlasted the actual union (which died... about when this map was made, I think?)

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

On the one hand, who could've ever predicted Mozambique joining the Commonwealth? (Did Angola join too, or was it another former Portuguese colony that did that?)

On the other, predicting that Ruanda-Urundi, Bophuthatswana, Lesotho, eSwatini and Namibia might be problematic should've already been known in 1960... Biafra? Eritrea? Djibouti? Somaliland? Zanzibar? Dinka? Ifni? Sahrawi?way too many to mention Ah, well :shrug:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jerkhammer posted:

On the one hand, who could've ever predicted Mozambique joining the Commonwealth? (Did Angola join too, or was it another former Portuguese colony that did that?)

On the other, predicting that Ruanda-Urundi, Bophuthatswana, Lesotho, eSwatini and Namibia might be problematic should've already been known in 1960... Biafra? Eritrea? Djibouti? Somaliland? Zanzibar? Dinka? Ifni? Sahrawi?way too many to mention Ah, well :shrug:

Mozambique, Rwanda, Gabon and Togo are the four nations with no full or partial (Cameroon) colonization by Britain to be members

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks.

I was thinking at least one more country that was outside the UK sphere of influence stepped in. And yes, I was thinking of Rwanda, which in the map I originally replied to, was part of "Uganda rep.".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mid 19th century Ottoman map of the Americas?

Jerkhammer posted:

On the other, predicting that Ruanda-Urundi, Bophuthatswana, Lesotho, eSwatini and Namibia might be problematic should've already been known in 1960
Bophuthatswana did become part of the modern RSA, along with the Transkei, Ciskei, QwaQwa, KwaZulu, and a couple others. Because the Bantu homeland program fell in on itself like the racist sham that it was the minute that apartheid was rejected and the franchise was expanded to all adults in the 90s.

The other Bop (Botswana) has had no interest at all in joining in on that poo poo since 1966.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It makes sense for smaller, less powerful nations to band together into larger units to have more power and resources on the international stage. From the vantage point of 1960, it seems even more like a reasonable assumption. Czechoslovakia is still a thing. The Balkans haven't really gotten to balkanizing yet. Looking back at the last century, there were other big examples of smaller states uniting into something bigger to become more influential like Germany and Italy. Europe is creating the European Economic Community to join up into an even bigger unit. The Soviet Union and Warsaw pact looms large as allegedly some kind of federation of cooperating nations, and the whole world is organizing itself into power blocs. Why shouldn't Africa go through its own agglomeration as it rises up from the burden of colonialism?

Except it turns out that a lot of cultural groups aren't quite so politically compatible, and it's actually pretty hard to set up prosperous democracies, and maybe with modern international economies and military alliances, there's not as much reason to band together.