Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Have been playing Starfield for many hours now, I'm sure this will become my personal GOTY.
I went in almost blind and with the expectation of getting a typical Bethesda experience and here are some random thoughts.

Playing on the Xbox Series X, performance is stable!

It's classic Bethesda! So if you don't like those games, you may not like this one. If you're a Bethesda fan like me, it's a PERFECT game.

Visually stunning, Bethesda's best work.

The main city is huge, with lots of people and things to do.

Combat is good! Great gunplay. It's definitely not Halo or COD, it feels like Fallout 4's combat but slightly upgraded. If you like Fallout 's gunplay, you will love it here.

Space combat is really fun and pretty.

Photo mode is a welcome addition.

I saw an NPC fall from the sky and then just carry on like nothing happened, and the first time I took the train the game crashed. Bethesda!!

I'll still be playing this game in 10 years.

Yeah, this is everything I was hoping it would be. Still some Bethesda jank but that's fine by me. One thing I don't really like is the inventory so hopefully someone makes a skyui like inventory for this. New Atlantis is massive, good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The game looks cool except I'm worried about how boring the proc gen planets look.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The game looks cool except I'm worried about how boring the proc gen planets look.

I mean the honest answer is that they are boring. If they look boring to you it isn't going to change your mind. The bulk of the game's interesting content is in cities or specifically crafted stuff.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the honest answer is that they are boring. If they look boring to you it isn't going to change your mind. The bulk of the game's interesting content is in cities or specifically crafted stuff.

so basically like every game they have made since morrowind or even daggerfall?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Laughing at all the guys in the starfield thread fretting over ram, gamma levels and weird screen sizes and not playing the game. Also paying to play it early lol. Gonna fire Starfield up the the 6th on my xbox and tv like intended and exclaim "Todd's done it again"

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I paid extra for early acceess, but thankfully I've got a proper 1440p display and none of this ultrawide nonsense.

Also installed a DLSS mod, serms to work but no real difference in fps.

Game is nice.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Laughing at all the guys in the starfield thread fretting over ram, gamma levels and weird screen sizes and not playing the game. Also paying to play it early lol. Gonna fire Starfield up the the 6th on my xbox and tv like intended and exclaim "Todd's done it again"

Same!! Will press power button on controller and open game.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
haven't touched a Bethesda game since FONV. that's not true. i played an hour of 76 and probably messed around for like thirty minutes on a friend's copy of skyrim. and i did launch FO4 but decided i didn't care before the menu screens. whatever. haven't played a Bethesda game for real since FONV. this will be fun.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

haven't touched a Bethesda game since FONV. that's not true. i played an hour of 76 and probably messed around for like thirty minutes on a friend's copy of skyrim. and i did launch FO4 but decided i didn't care before the menu screens. whatever. haven't played a Bethesda game for real since FONV. this will be fun.

How dare you. That’s an Obsidian game :v:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

yeah you're right. gamebryo, then. i did play one of the dooms too if we're talking Bethesda published, so. i don't know. who wants a full list of videogames I've played

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

yeah you're right. gamebryo, then. i did play one of the dooms too if we're talking Bethesda published, so. i don't know. who wants a full list of videogames I've played

*Raises paw*

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

blast corps

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you should play skyrim, it's really good, especially on series x

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you should play skyrim, it's really good, especially on series x

fantasy settings. yeech!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
What page is the best way to pay for ultimate on again? Trying to find, my ultimate just lapsed I'm down to set up a multi-year subscription if tthat's cheaper (in nominal terms).

Seems like this should be in the OP

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

What page is the best way to pay for ultimate on again? Trying to find, my ultimate just lapsed I'm down to set up a multi-year subscription if tthat's cheaper (in nominal terms).

Microsoft changed the ratio so Xbox Live Gold converted to Game Pass Ultimate isn't as good as it used to be.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

This is the best method, it's 3:2 now instead of 1:1 but it's still a good deal.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Wiltsghost posted:

This is the best method, it's 3:2 now instead of 1:1 but it's still a good deal.

thank you

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

ZeeBoi posted:

Microsoft changed the ratio so Xbox Live Gold converted to Game Pass Ultimate isn't as good as it used to be.

It's still clearly cheaper than buying Ultimate outright.

Live Gold (soon to be renamed Game Pass Core) now converts to GP Ultimate at a 3:2 rate instead of 1:1 like before. So, for example, 3 years of Live Gold turns into 2 years of GP Ultimate. 3 years of any particular subscription is the max you can have on your account at any one time.

So this is the answer: Acquire and activate Xbox Live Gold codes until you have 3 years or less on your account and then get GP Ultimate (you'll have to pay for 1 month at full price) to do the 3:2 conversion. That's it.

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 2, 2023

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Starfield is really something else

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Zat posted:

It's still clearly cheaper than buying Ultimate outright.

Live Gold (soon to be renamed Game Pass Core) now converts to GP Ultimate at a 3:2 rate instead of 1:1 like before. So, for example, 3 years of Live Gold turns into 2 years of GP Ultimate. 3 years of any particular subscription is the max you can have on your account at any one time.

So this is the answer: Acquire and activate Xbox Live Gold codes until you have 3 years or less on your account and then order GP Ultimate (you'll have to pay for 1 month at full price) to do the 3:2 conversion. That's it.

e: I was slow.

Yeah, totally worked, used some Amazon Gift cards, bought 3 years for 181.62 then a month of ultimate at 16.99, worked out to $7.94 a month, which is less than 50% at least.

In that 25 months I'll probably earn at least one month on Bing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

RodShaft posted:

$6-$7 3 month Xbox live Gold (eneba.com)

use code: XBOXLIVEGOLD3
That knocks off the PayPal/credit card service charge and about 10%

Redeem codes here (Microsoft.com)

This converts to 50 days of Gamepass Ultimate if you already have it. You can buy up to 10 from each vendor per transaction. You can only have 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate, so don't buy more than you need. (check when your subscription expires here)

I bought 14 codes(700 days/about 2 years) for $86.

Edit:
If you don't have Gamepass, you can load up 3 years worth of Xbox gold first, then convert it 3-2(so these 3 month codes are worth 2 months of Gamepass Ultimate each) by signing up for a month of Gamepass Ultimate.

Edit 2: some things changed since I looked into it last, so I corrected the conversation math.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
is this how scammers unload the gift cards they make old people buy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

butt dickus posted:

is this how scammers unload the gift cards they make old people buy

Na

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
For some reason auto redeem isn't working for me.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It's been slow to auto redeem the last few months but it gets there eventually.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

elf help book posted:

It's been slow to auto redeem the last few months but it gets there eventually.

It won't even let me sign up. I tried and is says it can't do it right now.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Starfield makes me horribly motion sick. If you are a person that has certain games cause this, I'd be shocked if this isn't one of them for you. FYI.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

King Burgundy posted:

Starfield makes me horribly motion sick. If you are a person that has certain games cause this, I'd be shocked if this isn't one of them for you. FYI.

did you try turning off motion blur? You’ll have to wait for the modders to add FOV slider and unlocked frame rate 😔

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Isn’t there something in the accessibility menu for that? You’d expect a first party title to be on top of that

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

King Burgundy posted:

For what it’s worth, I get horrendous motion sickness from first person view in most games, but rarely have a problem in third person. Maybe try that?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait so can you not even properly explore space in Starfield?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Space is boring, it's the bits that float in space that are the interesting parts.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Escobarbarian posted:

I have bad news. It all takes place on a screen.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

No, you don’t get to spend months travelling between locations to find “rocks but different”. Todd should be ashamed.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Todd lied people died.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

There's a space segment with planets as a façade but they either expect you to be too busy fighting space pirates to notice they aren't getting any closer or using fast travel to get to the next area. If you want a No Man's Sky traveling between planets, get No Man's Sky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

No, you don’t get to spend months travelling between locations to find “rocks but different”. Todd should be ashamed.

If only there was some way to abstract great distances in a video game to allow them to remain fun while still allowing for the feeling of flying through space. It's a shame that nobody else has ever made a space video game that successfully does this so we're stuck with the limitations of reality.

(Seriously, people wanted this and are going to be disappointed, being snide about it isn't going to change that.)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
No Man's Sky is super boring, Outer Wilds much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

No Man's Sky is super boring, Outer Wilds much better

Outer Wilds is infinitely better but I think the mean in terms of "You can go to a fuckton of planets" as opposed to OW's wonderfully crafted smaller system.