Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think "poggers" isn't actually used by normal Kids These Days, just the weird extremely online ones that would've been saying "roflcopter" out loud twenty-five years ago. "no cap," "based," etc on the other hand are just normal slang as far as i understand

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don’t think poggers ever left twitch containment, obviously kappa/kap/cap did

fake edit: I had to actually looked this up, “cap”/capping meaning lying is a hip hop term that predates twitch, at least back to the ‘00s. however, it exploded in popularity alongside kapp/kappa with the similarly meaning “calling bullshit” in the late 10s.

:shrug:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hn sucks no cap

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

HN: no cap all cope

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

hobbesmaster posted:

I don’t think poggers ever left twitch containment, obviously kappa/kap/cap did

fake edit: I had to actually looked this up, “cap”/capping meaning lying is a hip hop term that predates twitch, at least back to the ‘00s. however, it exploded in popularity alongside kapp/kappa with the similarly meaning “calling bullshit” in the late 10s.

:shrug:

i mean i worked at twitch for like 6 years and i have hte opposite experience lol

i heard poggers outside of twitch/work context a lot, but kappa was something basically only internal. i don't think it necessarily relates to "no cap" - it's not the same thing. kappa is more ironic.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I've seen pog used unironically but poggers only in the context of kids these days complaining about kids these days, like you'd use exaggerated leetspeak

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

VirusNewbie 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

I’m going to go down fighting keeping unions out of software. It’s the hill i’ll gladly die on.
You’re welcome to go work at a software union shop, like Boeing.
Writing low quality software that kills people, great job security even if you are at fault for peanut pay. I’ll take my non union job any day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wasn’t the Boeing stuff done by a subcontractor?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i can't believe unions forced the inclusion of mcas and overrode the engineers' concerns about the lack of sensor redundancy

is there no level of depravity that they won't sink to?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
rexpop 21 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: The secretive world of North Korean science fiction

> SF is pretty much always about the current day.

I can't comprehend this. Scifi is famously occupied with the future, and not the current day. Space travel, advanced technologies, artificial intelligences, and generally things that don't yet exist are par for the course. Most of SF is literally not about the present.

Do you mean to say that SF's subtext reflects the zeitgeist at the time/place of its writing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess you do have to have characters announce how they feel. that makes me feel sad

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sometimes I think I’m not really cut out for this thread because my first thought on reading that was “oh man I hope someone helps them better understand the world” and it took entire seconds for the more appropriate thought of “I hope that person gets stuck under a mountain”

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sharif don’t like it
grok the zeitgeist
grok the zeitgeist

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hn thread: I can't comprehend this

mystes
May 31, 2006

listless 35 minutes ago | next [–]

I mean - sure. I guess it depends on what your version of “unsafe” is. USA is also unsafe for nudists in most places. Unsafe for people who smoke pot and unsafe for people who like to let their kids play outside unsupervised.
Looks like Canada is inheriting the worst parts of our politics.

Article title: Canada issues travel advisory for LGBTQ+ residents visiting US

mewse
May 2, 2006

mystes posted:

listless 35 minutes ago | next [–]

I mean - sure. I guess it depends on what your version of “unsafe” is. USA is also unsafe for nudists in most places. Unsafe for people who smoke pot and unsafe for people who like to let their kids play outside unsupervised.
Looks like Canada is inheriting the worst parts of our politics.

Article title: Canada issues travel advisory for LGBTQ+ residents visiting US

hn ran an article the other day "hurricane electric is CENSORING kiwi farms!!" and the comments were chock full of free speechers defending nazis

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fidotron 21 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

I have a really controversial view about smoking: it has undeniable downsides but as a society we are now feeling what happens when a huge proportion of the population no longer experiences the cognitive upsides they used to get from nicotine.
It's somewhat similar to what would happen if you banned coffee.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that dude is either smoking too much or not enough. either way lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fritz posted:

fidotron 21 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

I have a really controversial view about smoking: it has undeniable downsides but as a society we are now feeling what happens when a huge proportion of the population no longer experiences the cognitive upsides they used to get from nicotine.
It's somewhat similar to what would happen if you banned coffee.

hes right.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess you do have to have characters announce how they feel. that makes me feel sad
Okay, but I won't be able to decide if things that make you feel bad are good or not until you tell me: are you a good guy or a bad guy?

Please answer "baby torturer" or "American values," I get very mixed up due to authors giving the bad guys really slick uniforms and cool speeches.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Me and my buddies use poggers ironically, but the one person I know who uses it sincerely I don't talk to anymore for good reasons

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

verisimi 14 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Yes, we can imagine this or that, but we don't find it from the article.
Of course there is also the issue that no information about Antarctica can be confirmed by citizen journalists as the whole world (US, UK, Russia, China, etc) all agreed to preserve this continent and Antarctica can never even be felt explored by the public. Anyway, Antarctic information is certainly mediated for us.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Me and my buddies use poggers ironically, but the one person I know who uses it sincerely I don't talk to anymore for good reasons

this just means that you use "poggers." if not now, give it some time. it happened to me and my friends with "bro" a long time ago. take as old as time.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
irony isn’t real

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DrFlipper 7 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Freedom is the key component of capitalism, in the purist sense. Including the freedom to trade the "right to repair" for other benefits, such as a superior vehicle due to higher integration, reliability and peace of mind knowing that any work will have been done by authorised repairers, lower up-front cost afforded by vendor lock-in, etc.
If people wish to voluntarily trade vehicles without the "right to repair", that's their choice, that's capitalism. The state intervening in transactions one way or the other is a violation of the capitalist ideal.

xg15 8 hours ago | unvote | parent | prev | next [–]

I think in the current flavor of capitalism, the key component is "gently caress you, I got mine".

surprisingly the first comment is grey and the second is not

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

that person has a whole bouquet of bad opinions
DrFlipper 11 days ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: ‘Broken’ solar panels manufactured to deter crimin...

God, this thread makes me even more grateful to live in a small, 99% White town. I'm pretty sure if I left my bike somewhere, it would still be there a week later for me to collect (probably having been moved under cover), if someone hadn't already recognised it and returned it. I haven't locked a door since moving here.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

Freedom is the key component of capitalism, in the purist sense. Including the freedom to trade the "right to repair" for other benefits, such as a superior vehicle due to higher integration, reliability and peace of mind knowing that any work will have been done by authorised repairers, lower up-front cost afforded by vendor lock-in, etc.
If people wish to voluntarily trade vehicles without the "right to repair", that's their choice, that's capitalism. The state intervening in transactions one way or the other is a violation of the capitalist ideal.

xg15 8 hours ago | unvote | parent | prev | next [–]

I think in the current flavor of capitalism, the key component is "gently caress you, I got mine".

surprisingly the first comment is grey and the second is not

HN has gone woke!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
MayeulC 7 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Portal 64 – A demake of Portal for the Nintendo 64

While I agree with the sentiment, and it's awesome that a lower-specced version of the game exists...

> port [...] to consoles like Xbox original

Uuh, in the name of energy efficiency, let's not. My smartphone is much more powerful and has a much lower power consumption than these systems. My Steam Deck even more so, though it's higher-power than a phone.

Targeting energy-efficient, low power hardware should be the goal, not porting to inneficient obsolete HW, IMO (though it's pretty cool, and demonstrates that you can do a lot with little computing power).

Still, I agree that something that runs well on old commodity hardware can run well on most existing hardware, reducing the need for hardware upgrades.

But my point is, running ond old HW is probably counterproductive if you only value ecology. At best, you could emulate old HW with much more efficient modern HW, and integrate most of the system on a single low power chip.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Jose Valasquez posted:

lower up-front cost afforded by vendor lock-in

uhhh

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr.Radar posted:

MayeulC 7 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Portal 64 – A demake of Portal for the Nintendo 64
But my point is, running ond old HW is probably counterproductive if you only value ecology. At best, you could emulate old HW with much more efficient modern HW, and integrate most of the system on a single low power chip.

yeah that's the ecologically sound option! don't just use a couple hundred watts of existing HW for a couple hours, instead we're gonna spin up a design team and fabricate an entire new run of chips

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
what's externalities precious

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

samstave 16 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

No, I think you miss the DNA of the point ;;
We should have a digital-DNA-Lineage-for [CODE, GAMES, APPS] etc...
Where in 100 years, we can follow a digital evolutionary time-table-mind-mad that routes us through all the code, apps, games that got us [HERE]..
And it will connect logic of thought and problemsolving through generations.
This is a thing we should through a (NON-HALLUCINATING) AI at?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

researching non-hallucinating AIsexpert systems no longer gets you VC grants

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Bostonian 28 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

"Property wealth inequality" is not something to measure and try to fix, since it is heavily affected by the decisions of households about whether to rent or buy. A couple that rents owns zero property, but upon buying a home they do own property. Merely buying the home does not substantially change their net worth.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jacquesm 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

So stop shipping iPhones to Israel until they play ball. If they're that smart they can roll their own phones. These companies do immense damage and endanger lives the world over. Given enough time and budget there is nothing that can't be cracked and it's the very worst actors that have access to this stuff.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

TheAceOfHearts 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

I can't wait for daily teeth brushing to be a thing of the past. It amazes me we've had so many technological advances while still having such primitive mouth cleaning solutions.
There's people that basically never have to brush their teeth, why can't their magical bacteria be used by everyone? I recently asked a dentist in training and they told me the bacteria would die after eating the plaque. Even if you have to regularly re-add the bacteria, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. You could make a lozenge which you suck on once a week, and it's still less effort than brushing daily.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

imagining breakthroughs in dental health is at least much more grounded and of more real use than things hn usually imagines.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
it's almost like there are other reasons to brush your teeth than just preventing cavities

iirc the natural acidity of your mouth is more important than the specific bacteria (higher acidity is a better environment for bacteria that cause cavities, lower acidity is better for the good bacteria)

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's almost like there are other reasons to brush your teeth than just preventing cavities

well, sure, but ultimately a huge fraction of people wind up with terrible dental health, and associated financial and physical pain during their lifetimes. it may be a problem solvable by a some sufficiently puritanical regime of care, but unless we're creating a new branch of the police for it that's not happening