Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Anybody have tips for outpost building? I basically never engaged with settlements in Fallout 4 but I kind of dig the idea of building a big old galaxy spanning network of crew members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DaysBefore posted:

Is there someplace special that takes scan data or am I safe with hawking it to any old merchant

do the main quest for a bit and itll become obvious. its one of those things.

im following the advice to mostly focus on the main quest which is something i normally avoid in all bethesda games but at least this one seems to be a pretty decent onboarding compared to fallout 4's holding your nose to the dirt and keeping most things locked until you do that first minutemen quest

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Annath posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers because I'm not very far into the game, but:

Is there a way to build a ship "from scratch" - ie not by purchasing a ship and opening it in the editor?

I can buy a, I dunno, Gladius, completely delete every component and build a totally new ship, but the result is still named "Gladius and there's no option to purchase another (original) Gladius.

So is there no" empty slot" or something I can build a ship in so it's not replacing an existing one?

Mortismal just did a vid on ship building https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkwN3PtOTiE :)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Suzera posted:

I dunno. The last time I felt much fulfilled sense of exploration was Daggerfall, and the last time I felt a sense of wonder was wondering whether I could fus roh dah someone off a cliff. But maybe I'm just kind of jaded against standard medieval fantasy setting fare by now.

You should try out Morrowind, it's by the same developer and uses 3D technology.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Thanks!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
man cant wait till consoles can handle textures above 250x250 and we dont have to see slimy junk like this anymore

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know in retrospect I think part of why the space travel stuff ends up feeling disappointing is that I just want to play Star Control 2 forever.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

ImpAtom posted:

You know in retrospect I think part of why the space travel stuff ends up feeling disappointing is that I just want to play Star Control 2 forever.

Hey Imp,

When you start a New Game + do you go through character creation at all? Can I re-select my traits?

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

v1ld posted:

You should try out Morrowind, it's by the same developer and uses 3D technology.
I hear you can jump really high too, unlike Starfield.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

George Sex - REAL posted:

Hey Imp,

When you start a New Game + do you go through character creation at all? Can I re-select my traits?

Nope you hop right in with the exact same character. You automatically skip the tutorial area and can choose to skip the main quest shortly after.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Nope you hop right in with the exact same character.

I’m generally loving this game and came in with no real assumptions but “pick a faction background on my NG+ once I know what the factions are” was like, the only one I made in character creation so consider this my mandatory “lol game sux” post.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Al! posted:

do the main quest for a bit and itll become obvious. its one of those things.

im following the advice to mostly focus on the main quest which is something i normally avoid in all bethesda games but at least this one seems to be a pretty decent onboarding compared to fallout 4's holding your nose to the dirt and keeping most things locked until you do that first minutemen quest

Ah okay thanks. I ignored the wise Gaming Gurus and ignored the story entirely so far lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow this character creation is a huge disappointment. Making a freak of nature is like one of the core points of fun in a Bethesda game.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/starfield-fg-02-88644211

Someone talked about this DLSS mod, but the guy charges for it? And it kinda seems like a hassle, joining a discord and linking your account and asking for a dl link etc..

Is there like a good free easy to download DLSS mod?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/starfield-fg-02-88644211

Someone talked about this DLSS mod, but the guy charges for it? And it kinda seems like a hassle, joining a discord and linking your account and asking for a dl link etc..

Is there like a good free easy to download DLSS mod?

There's a dlss2 mod that's free, but for dlss3+frame generation you get to pay

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

ImpAtom posted:

Nope you hop right in with the exact same character. You automatically skip the tutorial area and can choose to skip the main quest shortly after.

Hmm. What would you say are the best traits?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Khanstant posted:

Wow this character creation is a huge disappointment. Making a freak of nature is like one of the core points of fun in a Bethesda game.

Well at least we can get some belly. Not near enough for my Space Sumo wrestler, but still.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Daztek posted:

There's a dlss2 mod that's free, but for dlss3+frame generation you get to pay

I only have a 3070, I probably want DLSS 2 anyway because DLSS 3.5 isn't out yet right?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Dexo posted:

Most people like the game.

Even like the Dan Stapleton IGN 7 review is like, yeah It's not groundbreaking, and has some annoying problems, but they generally enjoyed the game and the story, and they are continuing to play NG+.

But I guess people only look at review numbers and don't read them lol.

The thing is, even if they did only look at the review number, they (should) arrive at the same conclusion. That’s a pretty accurate description of what a 7 is.

Scoring a 7 and being a generally enjoyable game that hoovers up a couple of hundred hours of your time aren’t mutually exclusive.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

ah, a man of culture I see

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bumhead posted:

The thing is, even if they did only look at the review number, they (should) arrive at the same conclusion. That’s a pretty accurate description of what a 7 is.

Scoring a 7 and being a generally enjoyable game that hoovers up a couple of hundred hours of your time aren’t mutually exclusive.

For an apt comparison, as an American, I think fast food is pretty average. But it won't stop me from hoovering down dozens, if not hundreds of mid tier cheeseburgers over a year :shrug:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

ImpAtom posted:

You should give Starsector a whirl if you haven't already. It takes heavy inspiration from SC2 and is likewise extremely good.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You should give Starsector a whirl if you haven't already. It takes heavy inspiration from SC2 and is likewise extremely good.

I found it way too crunchy in comparison

but I will absolutely echo that it's exceptional

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Coming off the incredible high that was Baldurs Gate 3, it took a few hours before Starfield clicked with me.
I'm a total and complete idiot that loves every mainline Bethgame and I'm pretty sure I've played them all to 100% except the travesty that is Fo76- and Skyrim multiple times, but even so, I needed several hours before I really started enjoying myself, and now I'm having a total blast.

But, if someone like me, genetically (in)disposed to like the slop Todd spits in and pours into my trough, needed convincing before I started having fun, there's something seriously lacking about the opening of the game. I can't say for sure what it is- maybe they give you too much freedom, too early and without enough direction. Maybe it was the realization that travelling through space was basically classic fast travel with extra steps- or maybe it shouldn't have pushed me into The Big City before feeding me a meaningful amount of actual gameplay. idk.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Macichne Leainig posted:

And yet we still destroyed the Earth in the end :thunk:

Maybe I haven't seen enough lore but according to something or someone they kind of handwave earth's destruction away as the earth's magnetosphere just randomly quitting. Either they wanted something different from climate change or nuclear war, or they were trying to avoid political stuff lol

Hmm. What would you say are the best traits?

I don't think traits have very much effect one way or another. Just pick what seems fun.

Anyways yeah, the game sucks rear end at first. About ten hours in you get in the swing of things, pulling on strings and going all over the galaxy, and it gets pretty drat good. I was definitely hating pretty hard early on but the more you I got used to things and saw more of the positives, the more I started to enjoy myself. Like someone else mentioned, the other faction quests outside of constellation seen generally stronger and more interesting.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Annath posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers because I'm not very far into the game, but:

Is there a way to build a ship "from scratch" - ie not by purchasing a ship and opening it in the editor?

I have no seen one.

But you can delete all modules, then start adding them.

You need:

- a cockpit
- a entry bay
- the cockpit and entry bay need to be on the same level. but I am not sure if the game can cheat about this and if us players can cheat too.
- gear landing modules so the ship can land
- 3 different types of weapons. you can't fill a ship with only one type of weapon, for some reason?
- shield (I believe maybe is optional)
- grav engine
- normal engine
- the generator is optional? I don't think my ship have one

you can't use modules of level bigger than you know, and the warning don't warn you about that until the complete step
you can't have unconnected modules
you can't pass the limits of complexity given by your generator?

is a fuckton of arbitrary rules with exceptions, and sometimes is actually easier to undo changes in the ship to start again because a arbitrary rule stop you

is not easy to create ships

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 2, 2023

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Very much looking forward to purchasing a new ship. Fighting three spacer ships at a time twice in a row had me use every ship part I had and still barely survive

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bohemian Nights posted:

But, if someone like me, genetically (in)disposed to like the slop Todd spits in and pours into my trough, needed convincing before I started having fun, there's something seriously lacking about the opening of the game. I can't say for sure what it is- maybe they give you too much freedom, too early and without enough direction. Maybe it was the realization that travelling through space was basically classic fast travel with extra steps- or maybe it shouldn't have pushed me into The Big City before feeding me a meaningful amount of actual gameplay. idk.

It just moves so drat quick IMHO. You have to have *some* suspension of belief in Bethsoft games being the Chosen one or whatever, Dragornborn, Nerevar, etc. But in the first hour it's literally like "Welcome to one of the most prestigious private explorer organizations in the galaxy! You touched a rock!"

Like yeah I know it's more deep than that and the story supposedly gets rolling towards the end, but that doesn't mean the front half has to be so weird

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Play posted:

Maybe I haven't seen enough lore but according to something or someone they kind of handwave earth's destruction away as the earth's magnetosphere just randomly quitting. Either they wanted something different from climate change or nuclear war, or they were trying to avoid political stuff lol

I assume they wanted something that left the Earth totally dead, so they didn't have to have any issues with "why can't I go to my hometown??". But it's a bit extreme, I would have expected some settlements there since less hospitable planets have colonies. Also the magnetosphere quitting would leave Earth quite barren, sure, but not turn every single building to dust

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Your parents are invincible. Not just marked Essential: bullets just passed right through Dad when I unloaded on him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
can you not throw darts?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh can you not throw anything at all

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Does contraband sell for more on secure planets or something? There's a space station literally right inside UC space that does not scan my cargo and the Trade Authority has been more than happy to buy heretical writings, human organs, you name it.

Macichne Leainig posted:

It just moves so drat quick IMHO. You have to have *some* suspension of belief in Bethsoft games being the Chosen one or whatever, Dragornborn, Nerevar, etc. But in the first hour it's literally like "Welcome to one of the most prestigious private explorer organizations in the galaxy! You touched a rock!"

What has been funnier to me is they are more than happy to let you gobble up all the super magic powers for yourself

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

William Bear posted:

Your parents are invincible. Not just marked Essential: bullets just passed right through Dad when I unloaded on him.

That sounds even worse than invincible - your parents are incorporeal.

Are they even real!?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Play posted:

I don't think traits have very much effect one way or another. Just pick what seems fun.

Anyways yeah, the game sucks rear end at first. About ten hours in you get in the swing of things, pulling on strings and going all over the galaxy, and it gets pretty drat good. I was definitely hating pretty hard early on but the more you I got used to things and saw more of the positives, the more I started to enjoy myself. Like someone else mentioned, the other faction quests outside of constellation seen generally stronger and more interesting.

I don’t think it was random. Grav drive experimentation melted the atmosphere.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Zodack posted:

Does contraband sell for more on secure planets or something? There's a space station literally right inside UC space that does not scan my cargo and the Trade Authority has been more than happy to buy heretical writings, human organs, you name it.

What has been funnier to me is they are more than happy to let you gobble up all the super magic powers for yourself

congrats, it sounds like you found a stable trade route

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
No more dragging items out of view then stealing them. Which is especially annoying in that quest where I need to either pay 15k or steal a wine, in a room with a guy who never turns away from the item I'm supposed to steal.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Al! posted:

congrats, it sounds like you found a stable trade route

Wait, do they scan your cargo if you hop between planets that would scan your cargo? There's this whole skill tree about obfuscating contraband and there are containers for and I just... go to this star over and over regardless of where I am. It's literally right next to New Atlantis. There are UC police or whatever ON the station.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kaddish posted:

I don’t think it was random. Grav drive experimentation melted the atmosphere.

Oh okay, should've figured that the vanguard propaganda hall wouldn't tell the whole story

So basically the put climate change in the game but called it something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ymgve posted:

No more dragging items out of view then stealing them. Which is especially annoying in that quest where I need to either pay 15k or steal a wine, in a room with a guy who never turns away from the item I'm supposed to steal.

Theres a video on Reddit of a dude pushing a object outside a room, using other other to push. Then picking the item.