Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I just go to the halal cart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Taco Bell is completely different from Mexican food in every way. I love Mexican food and the vibe is entirely different.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Taco Bell is completely different from Mexican food in every way. I love Mexican food and the vibe is entirely different.

Yeah taco bell is basically it's own cuisine. It's very strange

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Strawberry Panda posted:

Indian food is always special. I can't recall ever having Indian food that wasn't at least very good.

Man you are lucky. There’s a place around here called The Butter Chicken Box and it is loving terrible Indian Food. No flavor, just way too much sugar.

Luckily there’s another place even closer that used to be amazing but is now only decent, which is still better than The Butter Chicken Box.

We also had a Thai place that I seriously wondered if it was an elaborate practical joke. They just made a mockery of Thai food, which is one of the most delicious foods ever. I don’t know how they managed to be so bad.

In New Zealand we have a nice burger chain called Burger Fuel. When I was living in Dubai they opened a restaurant there and we were so amped to get some kumara fries (sweet potato) but turns out they couldnt source kumara in Dubai, of course. So disappointed.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Telluric Whistler posted:

It’s experimental Tex mex with cheap ingredients.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you guys are ever looking for decent Cajun (not Creole) food and can’t find anything run by people who appear to actually be Cajun, find a place run by Vietnamese people. A lot of them originally immigrated in from NOLA and the bases of the cuisine are often similar and they know how to handle seafood and spices.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Please don't let Texans fool you into calling Taco Bell TexMex, they had nothing to do with it. It's from California and is heavily inspired by the food in Baja, Mexico in the 50s. You could go there right now and see some really wild Mexican/US food collisions right now and basically what Taco Bell will probably be trying in ten years.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

When you're out in suburbia most restaurants are just serving variations on whatever comes from the gordon food services or sysco foods truck, so eating at a fast casual chain isn't much different, just faster.

People keep saying this like people take raw materials from the same grocery store as everybody else so everybody is pretty much cooking the same thing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Probably Magic posted:

Well, I know what I'm going to try and eat tomorrow.

Congrats to your wife

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im going to eat pasta tomorrow

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

duodenum posted:

People keep saying this like people take raw materials from the same grocery store as everybody else so everybody is pretty much cooking the same thing.

I think the difference is a lot of places are cooking literally the same Sysco frozen burger patty, so your getting the same composition and spice mix. Or the same frozen shaved steak in the steak sandwich, same chicken breast pre-seasoned, etc. Sometimes places will dress it up differently but it's not the same thing as going to a place that grinds their own mix or makes stuff from scratch. The latter will also usually cost more and have a wider range of outcomes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Please don't let Texans fool you into calling Taco Bell TexMex, they had nothing to do with it. It's from California and is heavily inspired by the food in Baja, Mexico in the 50s. You could go there right now and see some really wild Mexican/US food collisions right now and basically what Taco Bell will probably be trying in ten years.

Ahh gently caress, I somehow got the origins of Taco Bell and Taco Bueno mixed up. Bueno was founded in Abilene, Texas and was basically a test kitchen to come up with random vaguely tex-mex stuff.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

Was going to make a Gavin Newsom joke but God drat someone said PF Changs

Fun fact, the PF Changs in downtown Sacramento had a sign outside that said they had the best margaritas in town

if you are in downtown sacramento and not eating at simon’s or taiwan best you have totally failed.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/nascarcasm/status/1697868697006739463?t=0s9L7xvNyrUCoUotaTQMXw&s=19

RIP Jimmy.

Also, the reason why Thai cuisine is so prevalent internationally is gastrodiplomacy.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/paxadz/the-surprising-reason-that-there-are-so-many-thai-restaurants-in-america

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

As a non-american, off-season fast food chat in this thread is always fascinating. How is there like 70 different chains and you all have strong options on them? How much fast food are you guys all eating? It's nuts.

I was in LA last year and In and Out was.... fine? Taco Bell was garbage. Why you'd ever eat there when there is amazing mexican food pretty much anywhere in the US (and especially in California) is beyond me.

I can answer this.

Know why so many old people love going to church? Because church never changes. It is fundamentally the same from age 8 to age 80. That is an amazing thing to have.

To a lot of Americans, fast food is one of those things that has never changed. Still the same fundamental experience. It is like a church to them, full of nostalgia and comfort.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

also, if we're talking local chains, as a native north carolinian, bojangles is rightfully at the top. would say portillo's is right there with it as well, even though portillo's is starting to expand. one just opened here in tucson, and i think it's in california as well?

and culver's, goddamn. love it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If you have kids fast food is an effective bribery tool.

And for most places if your not using their app to order you're over paying.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lockback posted:

And for most places if your not using their app to order you're over paying.

Sounds like a good reason to never go to the place

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

There are many many reasons not to go to fast food places

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
:siren: Food police! :siren: Put down that taco!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Lamb biryani

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Jeremy Lamb Biryani

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

duodenum posted:

That post literally says that yes. It’s not like he saying that that is exactly what was being said

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
bleu cordon eric gordon

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
This is a cool story, the South Sudan national team that Luol Deng put together qualified for the 2024 Olympics: https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/38311696/south-sudan-earns-olympic-berth-top-african-team-fiba-world-cup

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They were pretty good. Going 3-2 in the world cup is really impressive.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
my diarrhea causing food is better than your diarrhea causing food

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ironic Twist posted:

This is a cool story, the South Sudan national team that Luol Deng put together qualified for the 2024 Olympics: https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/38311696/south-sudan-earns-olympic-berth-top-african-team-fiba-world-cup

Bulls superstar Carlick Jones getting it done.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Red Rox posted:

Man you are lucky. There’s a place around here called The Butter Chicken Box and it is loving terrible Indian Food. No flavor, just way too much sugar.

Yeah, there’s plenty of mediocre Indian restaurants, especially buffets. Generally they know how to make good food, but they’ve kindof given up on their customers ever having any sense of taste.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

tanglewood1420 posted:

As a non-american, off-season fast food chat in this thread is always fascinating. How is there like 70 different chains and you all have strong options on them? How much fast food are you guys all eating? It's nuts.

I was in LA last year and In and Out was.... fine? Taco Bell was garbage. Why you'd ever eat there when there is amazing mexican food pretty much anywhere in the US (and especially in California) is beyond me.

Lets be fair, every place has tons of fast food, it's often just more pronounced here in the states because our very car focused culture means the places are often individual buildings to account for the drive-thru. They also often times have big, bright signs so they can be identified from the roadways. It's also a huge country with a lot of people, so there are a bunch of chains but very few that are at the scale of McDonalds or even Taco Bell. For example, my favorite chain sandwich place left this area a long time ago, so if I wanted to fulfill that craving I would have to get on a 5 hour flight to their closest location.

I eat fast food maybe once or twice a month and I feel that is pretty common. There are plenty of people that eat it many times a week, but yeah, that poo poo will kill you.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ironic Twist posted:

Hey a University of Iowa grad, nice! Gotta be the first UI men’s basketball player in the Olympics I would imagine

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

A european would die if they ate a green chile double. don't compare it to the legal maximum burger of the eu (1/8th lb mcdonalds hamburger made from lean beef)

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Whatever food we have in america is doing a good job in producing the best basketball players in the world

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Okay non Americans pretending fast food is some American thing is really funny

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'd never eat fast food either if all I had was McDonalds and Burger King.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Fast food Is America

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

duodenum posted:

Have you eaten at random suburban restaurants and found a lot of variety of flavor

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Telluric Whistler posted:

Yep, in exactly the same way a dumpster full of rotting garbage is its own unique type of cuisine.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
grabbed some animal fries and a chocolate shake from in & out after spending my weeks wage at costco. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Jeremy Lamb Biryani

Alex English Muffin